PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton Could Win Heisman Without

htownsooner7
12/5/2010, 09:17 AM
Ever passing any of his classes at Auburn. Imagine the scenario where he win the Heisman, Auburn wins the national championship and Newton declares for the draft. Then we come to find out that he didn't he even sit for any of his finals but he stays eligible for this game because the NCAA gives a free semester before enforcing GPA requirements.

royalfan5
12/5/2010, 09:23 AM
I don't see the problem with this. Newton is at Auburn to make the University money before he can legally get his, not to get an education. College football is a professional sport, and pretending that it isn't and that education is the focus of it is pretty pointless.

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2010, 09:28 AM
Methinks something smells like the backstreets of lincoln.

I Am Right
12/5/2010, 09:34 AM
Could Cam Newtons dad buy the Heisman

SoonerinSouthlake
12/5/2010, 09:41 AM

my guess is...only if he can get it for somewhere in the ballpark of $180K

htownsooner7
12/5/2010, 09:46 AM
Looks like I'm wrong about the gpa thing if he took classes at Auburn in the spring, because I think the NCAA starts making you pass your classes after that first semester. Nonetheless, my guess is newton will be gone after the championship game, making it a very short and very lucrative stay for newton, auburn, the NCAA, and the bcs.

cleller
12/5/2010, 10:03 AM

He's arranged for someone else to do that.

texaspokieokie
12/5/2010, 10:11 AM
took ncaa half a season to rule on dez bryant & all he did was lie to them. they ruined his season

for cammy boy, the ruling was almost instanteous & he's suspected of breaking their most sacred rule; taking money.

probably all they did was ask his dad (a sterling character) about collusion
& check on how much money was to be made in champ game. that was determining factor !!

ictsooner7
12/5/2010, 10:13 AM

Ironically the Heismen committee wants a payment of $80,000 on the day he receives it, $50,000 30 days after that, and another $50,000 30 days later.

Section 9
12/5/2010, 10:14 AM
I heard yesterday that the dad said he did ask for money at MS, but he didn't at Auburn. And he said Cam didn't know about him asking for money. So, now you can sell your kid to the highest bidder as long as he doesn't know about it?

booomer
12/5/2010, 10:21 AM
He's arranged for someone else to do that.

And everyone knows it....well, except for Cam.

Okla-homey
12/5/2010, 08:02 PM
So, now you can sell your kid to the highest bidder as long as he doesn't know about it?

Okay. Here's the flaw in the above. As it now stands, Newton's dad did not "sell his kid to the highest bidder."

All NCAA has ruled in this case is a parent can shop his blue-chip kid around for cash without affecting that kid's eligibility as long as: 1) the school from which dad asked money didn't fork over any cash; 2) the school where the kid ended-up didn't pay dad anything, and; 2) the kid was unaware.

SoonerLB
12/5/2010, 08:24 PM
Methinks something smells like the backstreets of lincoln.

Instant CLASSIC!!! :D :D :D

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 08:27 PM
He found the football route to the "one and done" basketball rule after getting kicked out of school. Just go to a juco and be done with it. You may have to wait three years but you don't have to go to school like a student....seems better than the Clarett method.

Jboozer
12/5/2010, 08:46 PM
I also think the NCAA would look differently upon receiving an I (Incomplete) or W or whatever they give for not finishing as opposed to having a low GPA. I haven't looked, but I can't imagine that not attending, and GPA are enforced by the same requirement.

79Sooner
12/5/2010, 09:58 PM
If a player is not in good academic standing from the previous semester he becomes ineligible for the following semester. We've seen this before in bowl games. If he does not complete this semester in good academic standing he will not be able to play the bowl game. So, if he isn't going to class then Oregon will not have to worry about him. Any of you guys remember Snoop Minnis from Florida St. and why he didn't play against us 2000?

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 10:08 PM
I think there is a difference between having to stay eligible for a semester and pursuing a degree. I bet Newton can stay eligible for a semester fairly easily in Social and Behavioral sciences, I don't think the Newton clan cares about a degree and neither does Auburn. I would bet that he has been going to school enough to stay eligible and also doubt that he is in school past the end of this semester.

BigRed47
12/6/2010, 12:11 AM
Looks like I'm wrong about the gpa thing if he took classes at Auburn in the spring, because I think the NCAA starts making you pass your classes after that first semester. Nonetheless, my guess is newton will be gone after the championship game, making it a very short and very lucrative stay for newton, auburn, the NCAA, and the bcs.

You forgot to add 'and the SEC.'

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 12:15 AM
We lost a DB to academic ineligibility before the Fiesta Bowl against WVU. Wouldn't all players have the same criteria for the bowls?

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2010, 12:32 AM
If a player is not in good academic standing from the previous semester he becomes ineligible for the following semester. We've seen this before in bowl games. If he does not complete this semester in good academic standing he will not be able to play the bowl game. So, if he isn't going to class then Oregon will not have to worry about him. Any of you guys remember Snoop Minnis from Florida St. and why he didn't play against us 2000?

Snoop Minnis was suspended by the ACC, not the NCAA.