PDA

View Full Version : Landry tonight

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2010, 03:38 AM
OK. Anybody on the OUI boards will tell you I am a pretty big critic of his. Let's get that out of the way.

He played well tonight. Quite well. I have always said he doesn't have to be Sam, he just has to be Landry. I noticed about midseason that he started recognizing a collapsing pocked and would step up. From then on, he has been pretty good about that, with occasional foul ups. It happens.

Landry is pretty much good for 2-3 knucklehead plays/game, and he usually gets away with one. Tonight was no exception. He started out flaky...but what impressed me was that he played through it. We were down by a lot of points for the first time that I can remember.. We stuck through it and LJ threw a couple nice deep balls. Always knew he could throw the deep post, but he threw a nice long ball to Broyles down the left sideline, something he doesn't usually do. It's one thing to recover against OSU and their non-existent defense, and quite another to do it against Nebraska. He showed resilience and patience.

I think the next thing in his development will not be about eliminating egghead plays, but getting rid of the pressure jitters. Just go out there and play like you don't care the entire time.

By the way, only ONE "bubble screen" the whole night (an incompletion due to LJ's jitters). I find that to be an unbelievable stat, perhaps the most unbelievable of the night. KW showed a lot of trust in LJ by only calling one bubble screen tonight. At the beginning of the season, it was 60-80% bubbles. Not tonight.

yankee
12/5/2010, 03:41 AM
tonight was not the first night we haven't relied much on the bubble...i've been noticing it much less the past several weeks.

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2010, 03:49 AM
certainly much less in the past weeks, but nothing like tonight. We threw it once.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 03:50 AM
Jones completed 7 of 10 passes longer than 10 yards for 192 yards and a touchdown.

That doesn't happen against the Blackshirts.

Espin quote :D

Okie35
12/5/2010, 03:51 AM
certainly much less in the past weeks, but nothing like tonight. We threw it once.

Yea Landry's been throwing deeps balls a lot more since the Iowa State game.

oudavid1
12/5/2010, 04:00 AM
Landry is a young man. A Sophomore who is playing like a Senior. I have never once, ever, been disappointed in him. Love that guy. Great kid, great player, great student. Boomer Sooner!

soonerinkaty
12/5/2010, 04:02 AM
Landry is a young man. A Sophomore who is playing like a Senior. I have never once, ever, been disappointed in him. Love that guy. Great kid, great player, great student. Boomer Sooner!

Not once? Ever?

basel90
12/5/2010, 04:26 AM
Did not think he had a great game at all. He is inconsistant and he makes nice throws every now and then , but the mobility and the mistakes scare me. He is certainly not a top 10 QB.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 04:37 AM
Did not think he had a great game at all. He is inconsistant and he makes nice throws every now and then , but the mobility and the mistakes scare me. He is certainly not a top 10 QB.

He'll be a solid Heisman candidate next year. QUOTE ME!

BulverdeSooner
12/5/2010, 11:05 AM
Right now he is a good college QB. When things break down early in a play, he panics, and though he has gotten better, he still locks on to his receivers...perhaps not singularly as much, but definitely as regards sides of the field. When he actually looks a safety off, great things have happened.
I think he will improve, and I think Blake Bell growing by leaps & bounds & Drew Allen continuing to get better will only help.
However--I really miss Sam.

texaspokieokie
12/5/2010, 11:09 AM
However-- i really miss Steve Davis.

aero
12/5/2010, 11:17 AM
Landry has been fine. He's had both moments of outstanding play as well as not so shiny moments. But overall, he's been good. I appreciate him for what he is - OUr starting qb. And he's representing well. The starting qb job at OU is not for the meek.

achiro
12/5/2010, 11:19 AM
He was a bit quick to throw it away a couple of times. One time in particular on 2nd and goal he had nobody around him at all chasing him and no open receiver but instead of waiting a bit or even scrambling to see what developed he threw it way out. BUT he had a pretty good game all in all.

soonerinabilene
12/5/2010, 11:29 AM

he is a motherf*cking sophomore who threw for the 4th most passing yards a game in the country, had less ints than he did last year, and the last three games, ALL AWAY FROM NORMAN,, he has been good enough to beat 3 bowl teams, two of which were top 12 in the country. you are living way too much in the first 6 games of the season if you cannot see how much progression he has made since then. you are spoiled by Bradfords sophomore year, which is a once a generation season for someone that age.

caseysooner
12/5/2010, 11:31 AM
I would say Landry is doing pretty good for himself and will be one of the top 3 QB's ever to play for us by the time he leaves.

btb916
12/5/2010, 11:45 AM

Wow. Takes a lot to impress you. He threw some bloody beautiful passes and only threw one pick against a really good defense on the biggest stage of his life. Pretty damn great game if you ask me. He also scrambled once to pick up a couple yards, made mature decisions when there was no one open, and picked up a really important first down on another run.

Sooner Cal
12/5/2010, 11:58 AM
Landry has thrown more passes this season than any Qb has done in a single seasonin OU history, passing Heuple last night. That's because the hurry up gets us 20 or more extra snaps a game. That puts a lot of pressure on the Qb to stay in control and in the moment. For a soph, he's been remarkable. 35 tds with 11 interceptions isn't what it could be, but his efficiency will improve especially as the o-line improves.

budbarrybob
12/5/2010, 01:18 PM

By what measuring stick do YOU use to determine success?
Category Rank
Passing yards #2
Passing Attempts #1
Completions #1
Touchdowns #3

Sacks #58
INTs #39

Passer rating #27
Percent complete #24

There IS room for improvement, however.

*source - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/5/2010, 01:22 PM
Landry is a young man. A Sophomore who is playing like a Senior. I have never once, ever, been disappointed in him. Love that guy. Great kid, great player, great student. Boomer Sooner!Interesting handle, Whitney.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/5/2010, 01:23 PM

i like how you call him a great "kid" aren't you guys like the same age?

heh just messin wit cha. :)

12/5/2010, 01:25 PM
However-- i really miss Steve Davis.and Jimmy Harris. Both have 2 NC's and shoulda had 3.

12/5/2010, 01:27 PM
He was a bit quick to throw it away a couple of times. One time in particular on 2nd and goal he had nobody around him at all chasing him and no open receiver but instead of waiting a bit or even scrambling to see what developed he threw it way out. BUT he had a pretty good game all in all.No shiite. He could have easily gotten some yardage on that play.

cvsooner
12/5/2010, 01:28 PM
He had a couple of really bad throws in the first quarter...and frankly had a rough first quarter. (As did the whole team.) After that he did very well, frankly.

12/5/2010, 01:29 PM
I would say Landry is doing pretty good for himself and will be one of the top 3 QB's ever to play for us by the time he leaves.Maybe, if he can win the starting job next yr.

btb916
12/5/2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe, if he can win the starting job next yr.

Yeah, he'll really struggle to do that after two years playing in the offense; gobs of big game experience; and a coach who supports him 110%.

12/5/2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, he'll really struggle to do that after two years playing in the offense; gobs of big game experience; and a coach who supports him 110%.If Bell is as good as projected, Landry's experience might not be enough.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 02:05 PM
By the way, only ONE "bubble screen" the whole night (an incompletion due to LJ's jitters). I find that to be an unbelievable stat, perhaps the most unbelievable of the night. KW showed a lot of trust in LJ by only calling one bubble screen tonight. At the beginning of the season, it was 60-80% bubbles. Not tonight.

Wouldn't that be largely based on Nebbish' secondary skills and alignment?

OUNC06
12/5/2010, 02:14 PM
If Bell is as good as projected, Landry's experience might not be enough.

Never go full retard.

agoo758
12/5/2010, 02:15 PM
If Bell is as good as projected, Landry's experience might not be enough.

Why would you replace a guy who has made a TON of good plays with a guy who is merely projected by rivals to make a ton of good plays? Seems rather brainless to me, wouldn't you think?

12/5/2010, 02:20 PM
Why would you replace a guy who has made a TON of good plays with a guy who is merely projected by rivals to make a ton of good plays? Seems rather brainless to me, wouldn't you think?The coaches(Bob)will do what they think is best for the team, I hope...Don't you?

Cornfed
12/5/2010, 02:23 PM
He's earning his MAN card.

12/5/2010, 02:23 PM
Never go full retard.A new name-caller on the board. Welcome to ya.

Sooner_Tuf
12/5/2010, 03:37 PM

Mrs Allen is a three day event for you or is this your all month long personality?

You might want to look at what other QBs did against Nebraska this year before making yourself totally and completely stupid by saying Landry didn't have a good game while winning the Championship.

ashley
12/5/2010, 03:57 PM
He plays a very difficult position.

oudavid1
12/5/2010, 04:08 PM
Not once? Ever?

not once!

Interesting handle, Whitney.

lol

i like how you call him a great "kid" aren't you guys like the same age?

heh just messin wit cha. :)

lol he is like 3 years older than me. I just like talkin like a coach since im committed to being one. :D

westcoast_sooner
12/5/2010, 04:14 PM
A lot of people make comparisons between Landry and Nate Hybl. While Nate was OK, and people forget he was the Rose Bowl MVP, I think Landry has come a long way since taking over for Sam in Jerry World last year against BYU.

Yes, he still makes some stupid mistakes, poor throws, and might toss one out of bounds a little too soon, but he's much improved from last year, and he's improved over this season a ton.

pphilfran
12/5/2010, 04:18 PM
A lot of people make comparisons between Landry and Nate Hybl. While Nate was OK, and people forget he was the Rose Bowl MVP, I think Landry has come a long way since taking over for Sam in Jerry World last year against BYU.

Yes, he still makes some stupid mistakes, poor throws, and might toss one out of bounds a little too soon, but he's much improved from last year, and he's improved over this season a ton.

I think Nate was tougher...he won that MVP because he was rough and tough...I don't know of many qb's that could survive the hits he took against K State....though Landry is a better overall qb and passer...