PDA

View Full Version : Plays of the Game

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 03:03 AM
1. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, bootlegs and fakes out everyone for a first down on 4th down. We kick a FG to make it 10-17. If we don't make that first down...

2. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, throws a 30 yard strike to Kenny Stills. OU later scores to tie it up.

3. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, throws for 11 yards to Cameron Kenny on fourth down. We march down to take the lead.

agoo758
12/5/2010, 03:04 AM
Don't forget the interception by Travis Lewis. More of a mistake by Martinez, but it played a huge role in getting us back in the game.

oudavid1
12/5/2010, 03:10 AM
1. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, bootlegs and fakes out everyone for a first down on 4th down. We kick a FG to make it 10-17. If we don't make that first down...

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zcl8oo.jpg

Best play of the year. Not because of the importance, i just wanted to see him run.

soonerinkaty
12/5/2010, 03:11 AM
It was sexy indeed. KW earned his paycheck tonight.

SunnySooner
12/5/2010, 07:25 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/1zcl8oo.jpg

Best play of the year. Not because of the importance, i just wanted to see him run.

When Sam got hurt last year, I watched Landry's high school highlights clip, and he was a runnin' fool. I mean, around, through, over, etc. Now, I know someone his size and with his abilities would have been a man among boys, but I really expected to see him run more than he has. Maybe as he continues to mature, we'll see more of it. He's awkward as all hell, but I think he may have some pretty good wheels.

AlbqSooner
12/5/2010, 07:30 AM
When the Sooner Caravan came to Albq 2 years ago, Landry's HS coach was a guest and he brought films of him in high school. On one play in particular, a State tourney quarterfinal game, Landry took off around right end. After about 5 yards the opposing linebacker, a unanimous all-stater, confronted him. Landy ducked a shoulder, de-cleated the guy and kept running. He has that ability, but I prefer to see him standing after his pass is completed.

boomersooner28
12/5/2010, 09:04 AM
I was just looking for a thread to post a question in...didn't want to start a thread for this, but has anybody ever seen a ball kicked so hard as the Neb FG kicker on that 53 yarder? HE F'ING DRILLED THAT BALL. I'm convinced it would have been good from almost 70.

soonerz
12/5/2010, 09:11 AM
I agree that these were all big plays. I know it wasn't the ""play of the game", but how about Stoops calling a timeout on the fake? That was HUGE

SoonerinSouthlake
12/5/2010, 09:28 AM

this
Landry did a great job selling it too

okienole3
12/5/2010, 10:14 AM
Jefferson's sack in the last series.

beegee
12/5/2010, 10:22 AM
Jefferson's sack in the last series.

^this^

Defense won this one.

BajaOklahoma
12/5/2010, 11:15 AM
I was just looking for a thread to post a question in...didn't want to start a thread for this, but has anybody ever seen a ball kicked so hard as the Neb FG kicker on that 53 yarder? HE F'ING DRILLED THAT BALL. I'm convinced it would have been good from almost 70.

In warmups, he kicked it over 60 yards and still had height on it.

jcvsooner
12/5/2010, 11:41 AM
3. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, throws for 11 yards to Cameron Kenny on fourth down. We march down to take the lead.

And the play before that: 3rd and 24, Landry hits Kenney for about 15 yards but Kenney keeps his legs churning as the Husker defenders try to strip the ball and winds up getting an extra 7 or 8 yards. Otherwise we probably punt rather than going for that 4th and 1. :)

okienole3
12/5/2010, 11:53 AM
And the play before that: 3rd and 24, Landry hits Kenney for about 15 yards but Kenney keeps his legs churning as the Husker defenders try to strip the ball and winds up getting an extra 7 or 8 yards. Otherwise we probably punt rather than going for that 4th and 1. :)

Agreed. Although that wasn't a third down conversion, it was a great play to make 4th down manageable.

SoonerMom2
12/5/2010, 12:05 PM
Landry Jones has matured this year to the stage I am looking forward to him having the extra time to prepare for the Fiesta Bowl. Our young receivers are now experienced and our defense played awesome last night especially in the 2nd half. Jones sold that bootleg all the way -- he just getting better and better and doesn't allow a mistake to get him down.

My favorite was the look on Pellini's face AFTER Bob Stoops called the timeout. He was furious. I would hate to have a coach on the sideline that acts and dresses like him -- no class. Bob Stoops has been a class act from the day he arrived. I didn't like Pellini on our staff for a year -- he didn't seem to fit.

Brent Venerables has really come into his own this year and done a tremendous job with meshing the very young players with the veterans. You never know who is going to step up the most when someone goes down but he just keeps plugging the players into holes. Great coaching job as the defense has gotten better and better each game culminating in that 2nd half last night.

btb916
12/5/2010, 12:14 PM
Landry Jones has matured this year to the stage I am looking forward to him having the extra time to prepare for the Fiesta Bowl. Our young receivers are now experienced and our defense played awesome last night especially in the 2nd half. Jones sold that bootleg all the way -- he just getting better and better and doesn't allow a mistake to get him down.

My favorite was the look on Pellini's face AFTER Bob Stoops called the timeout. He was furious. I would hate to have a coach on the sideline that acts and dresses like him -- no class. Bob Stoops has been a class act from the day he arrived. I didn't like Pellini on our staff for a year -- he didn't seem to fit.

Brent Venerables has really come into his own this year and done a tremendous job with meshing the very young players with the veterans. You never know who is going to step up the most when someone goes down but he just keeps plugging the players into holes. Great coaching job as the defense has gotten better and better each game culminating in that 2nd half last night.

Do you have a picture of Pelini's face after the timeout? I would love to see that.

WestLakeHillsSooner
12/5/2010, 12:19 PM
TO before fake punt was huge. They had that set up and would have had a 1st down.

Landry's naked bootleg and Jefferson's sack are my other votes.

VA Sooner
12/5/2010, 12:23 PM
So many great plays last night...

The bootleg by Jones even faked me out... I was yelling at the TV wondering why we ran it up the middle into the pile. Great call by KW.

Travis Lewis INT was the momentum changer... and stealing those 7 points from the Huskers was the difference. Travis's recovery of 2 fumbles... made him the player of the game.

But the entire defense... played their best half of the season last night.

Team effort... including Bob Stoops in recognizing the fake punt once he saw the Husker in motion for the punt. You're right... the look on Pellini's face was worth the price of admisison once his fake punt was revealed.

Great game.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 12:46 PM

If you've been watching Henery at all, this wouldn't surprise you. The kid has the leg strength of Mason Crosby but is much more accurate. When he beat CU a couple of years back with a 57 yarder (outdoors, in Lincoln) I knew he was either really lucky or something special. If I were an NFL GM, I would draft him higher than any kicker has gone before. Especially if I had a playoff level team and any player drafted lower than 3rd round was unlikely to start for me anyway.

cvsooner
12/5/2010, 01:22 PM
One more play of the game: why Nebbish didn't try a 62 yarder with three minutes to go instead of punting I'll never understand. Not with Henery kicking. How can a guy that skinny have such a leg? Amazing. Had me worried all night...when you realize your d basically can't let you cross midfield or you're giving up points.

delhalew
12/5/2010, 01:29 PM
I know the result wasn't what we needed, but I want to give Broyles credit for fighting like a mad man to strip the ball after that INT.

budbarrybob
12/5/2010, 01:35 PM
I know the result wasn't what we needed, but I want to give Broyles credit for fighting like a mad man to strip the ball after that INT.

excellent play followed up by the poor decision not to quick snap that ball. :mad:

oudavid1
12/5/2010, 04:11 PM
Landry is a great athlete, but Bob dose not want him to ever take hits. Ever.

Whet
12/5/2010, 04:17 PM
The Bob TO on the fake punt preserved the win by preventing nebish from getting the 1st down and the big mo.

Bo probably pee'd a little after that timeout.

soonersam
12/5/2010, 04:21 PM
By far it's the TO when Bobby saw the flanker go in motion, that was the amazing!!!

westbrooke
12/5/2010, 04:27 PM

2. Landry Jones, on a great call by KW, throws a 30 yard strike to Kenny Stills. OU later scores to tie it up.

Hahahaha, do I sense a theme here?

Everyone here is pointing out great stuff. Landry, Stills, Kenney, Jefferson, our coaches down the line... everyone did their part last night.

Also want to call out Macon for great pressure all night long. And a personal favorite play of mine: Landry rolls left, the play is breaking down, he finds Hanna on the run who makes the catch with a defender on his back, picks up the first down. It was so ugly it was beautiful, a gritty play to make something happen when they had to, by two players who are really coming on strong and proving they can overcome some past mistakes.

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2010, 04:27 PM
The contrast between Henery and Stevens was something I hope to not see again. Amazing that we haven't had a kicker for 3 years...and it will be 4 years next year.

The bootleg by LJ was a great call and great sell by LJ. Faked out the Nebbish D and half the people watching TV.

SoonerRoy
12/6/2010, 01:21 AM
I also thought Neb might try a 60 to 65 yard FG. That would have been the play of the game. But to try it with 3 minutes or so left would not have been wise. If it missed, OU would have had great field position. Even if they didn't make a first down, a punt would then have pined the huskers deep. Instead they punted, pinned OU inside the 10, and got the ball back with good field position. What really hurt them was the late sack by Jefferson, which forced them to complete 2 passes in a row.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 01:39 AM
Yeah, the theme is Leroy rubbing one out to Kevin Wilson. I think it's pretty obvious.

KC is still burnt over that game. He would rather OU lose just so he can dig into KW.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 01:41 AM
Yeah, the theme is Leroy rubbing one out to Kevin Wilson. I think it's pretty obvious.

KC is still burnt over that game. He would rather OU lose just so he can dig into KW.

"Oh, crap! Landry just ran for a first down on a naked bootleg! Oh, I mean... that's good!"

pappy
12/6/2010, 07:14 AM
Play of the game was Travis Lewis int in the endzone...without it Nebraska gets at least 3 on that drive. Defense is what won the game.

KC//CRIMSON
12/6/2010, 06:42 PM

Hey, lonely middle-aged man on the internet, you might wanna get some neosporin put on those knee blisters from blowing KW all season.

cvsooner
12/6/2010, 06:51 PM
The contrast between Henery and Stevens was something I hope to not see again. Amazing that we haven't had a kicker for 3 years...and it will be 4 years next year.

You'll see it in the bowl game. Unfortunately.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 07:02 PM
Hey, lonely middle-aged man on the internet, you might wanna get some neosporin put on those knee blisters from blowing KW all season.

Can the mods create a special forum for KC//Crimson's homoerotic fantasies? He needs a place to call "home."

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 07:11 PM
Only if they create one for lonely middle-aged men trying to be all hip and post modern on the innerwebs, but fail miserably.

I'm not posting any more of those moderns on the innerweb.

Okie35
12/6/2010, 07:16 PM
TO before fake punt was huge. They had that set up and would have had a 1st down.

Landry's naked bootleg and Jefferson's sack are my other votes.

It was a huge/great timeout but when the nebbish player had the ball after the snap we had a player in the backfield. Would he have made the tackle who knows?

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 07:42 PM
It was a huge/great timeout but when the nebbish player had the ball after the snap we had a player in the backfield. Would he have made the tackle who knows?

The fact we needed a TO was a mistake, IMO. The time left in the game and the way NU couldn't move the ball against us indicated a fake was likely. We should have been ready. But you could see lots of confusion on our side, so have to take the TO there.

SoonerMarkVA
12/6/2010, 09:33 PM
Do you have a picture of Pelini's face after the timeout? I would love to see that.

It looked like Pelini's face always does: like he just ate some barbed wire and is looking for someone's head to rip off. And I say that in the nicest possible way :)

btb916
12/6/2010, 09:49 PM
It looked like Pelini's face always does: like he just ate some barbed wire and is looking for someone's head to rip off. And I say that in the nicest possible way :)

Haha, I watched a replay of the game on espn3 today and saw it. It wasn't as funny as I had hoped.

okiedokie
12/6/2010, 09:52 PM

the entire defense in the second half......lock down