PDA

View Full Version : An Honest view of Nebr. OU

cahusker
12/4/2010, 01:18 PM
It bugs me that so many of the younger fans on both sides don't appreciate what a great rivalry we had. Here is a must read article that tell from both side what this great match up means to those of us over 45. http://www.omaha.com/article/20101203/BIGRED/312049983

batonrougesooner
12/4/2010, 01:25 PM
good read

Flagstaffsooner
12/4/2010, 02:14 PM
Jackson's one-handed catch belongs next to Johnny Rodgers' punt return in 1971 in rivalry lore.

Jackson didnt have uncalled clips to help him.

brainpimp
12/4/2010, 02:17 PM
Time blurs a lot. But the nostalgia that Nebbish gets is fanciful.

I can't tell you the number of times I heard the story from my uncle that was in the band in '72. He told us how the director told them at the sound of the final gun they had to sprint to the middle of the field. He didn't know why at the time but soon found out as a wall of snow and ice balls rained down on them as they ran to get out of range.

So the next time someone talks about how wonderful the bugeaters are remind them of that story.

Sooner_Tuf
12/4/2010, 02:28 PM
I used to like the old Huskers just fine. Probably not as much as some people did but they were good fans. Those people are gone. The new Huskers I don't care much for. They are like OSU fans only there is more of them and they have set out to sell the world on how great they are. Of course few if any are buying their BS.

CrimsonRez
12/4/2010, 03:03 PM
**** nebraska

cattlemaster
12/4/2010, 03:26 PM
I'm 43 and I still get up for OU/Neb :) It was like having two AWESOME seasons rolled into one. The build up leading to OU/Texas and then the momentum rolled with anticipation leading up to Nebraska game to see who ended up going to the Orange Bowl. GREAT GAMES !!!!!! :pop:

AlbqSooner
12/4/2010, 03:32 PM
". . . what a great rivalry we had"

I am over 45. I will play.

There were some great games back then that decided the Orange Bowl Rep more often than not. Nostaliga tells us that Osborne was a true gentleman who played by the rules. That is the reason they waived the waiting period to put him into the College Football Hall of Fame while keeping Barry out.

More than once St. Tom had players beating up their girlfriends and staying on the team. He had a Heisman trophy winning tailback arrested for armed robbery of a gas station the summer BEFORE his Heisman year who was not arraigned until after the ensuing bowl game. He had players who punched fans of opposing teams without being suspended.

St. Tom gave Grants-in-Aid to "walk-ons" in order to circumvent the scholarship limitations on a regular basis.

The nebbish fans vandalized several OU cars during a game in Lincoln. Neither the NU police nor the Lincoln police would investigate. Those nebbish fans who walked by and saw it simply mocked the unfortunate Sooner fans.

Screw nebbish with a rusty corkscrew and kick their asses one more time before we bid them AMF!! (Adios Mo Fo)

That is my "Honest view of Nebr. OU"

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2010, 03:34 PM
being 46 I understand about the old rivalry...but unfortunately when good ol boy Tom left his starters in up 50 late into the 4th q in a completely over matched OU team..my respect went out the window...

I've got good friends that are NU fans...and know some that are arses like most teams...

to give nu a "holier than thou" pass is complete bs...and I hope we pound them by 50 tonight....not sayin we will...might even lose but bury them!

cahusker
12/4/2010, 03:48 PM
Uh, to clear things a bit, Johnny Rodgers was under Bob Devany. Players that punched a fan was under Callahan and the grant aid thing is an old wives tale it is completely untrue. Phillips who beat the girl was suspended for 8 gamesand came back for the bowl game in which we did not need him beacause we had Ahmann Green. This game for me will always be missed. Beleive it or not I loved Switzer and Osborne. They were polar opposites. Yes Osborne had faults in always caring a bit too much about a players future well being. Switzer turned a blind eye a bit too much and that led to his ultimate downfall. If Switzer had taken care of some of those bad apples on his teams OU would have never had their downfall in the 90's and he may be get more consideration as the best ever.

There were some great games back then that decided the Orange Bowl Rep more often than not. Nostaliga tells us that Osborne was a true gentleman who played by the rules. That is the reason they waived the waiting period to put him into the College Football Hall of Fame while keeping Barry out.

More than once St. Tom had players beating up their girlfriends and staying on the team. He had a Heisman trophy winning tailback arrested for armed robbery of a gas station the summer BEFORE his Heisman year who was not arraigned until after the ensuing bowl game. He had players who punched fans of opposing teams without being suspended.

St. Tom gave Grants-in-Aid to "walk-ons" in order to circumvent the scholarship limitations on a regular basis.

The nebbish fans vandalized several OU cars during a game in Lincoln. Neither the NU police nor the Lincoln police would investigate. Those nebbish fans who walked by and saw it simply mocked the unfortunate Sooner fans.

Screw nebbish with a rusty corkscrew and kick their asses one more time before we bid them AMF!! (Adios Mo Fo)

oulucas
12/4/2010, 04:21 PM
Uh, to clear things a bit, Johnny Rodgers was under Bob Devany. Players that punched a fan was under Callahan and the grant aid thing is an old wives tale it is completely untrue. Phillips who beat the girl was suspended for 8 gamesand came back for the bowl game in which we did not need him beacause we had Ahmann Green. This game for me will always be missed. Beleive it or not I loved Switzer and Osborne. They were polar opposites. Yes Osborne had faults in always caring a bit too much about a players future well being. Switzer turned a blind eye a bit too much and that led to his ultimate downfall. If Switzer had taken care of some of those bad apples on his teams OU would have never had their downfall in the 90's and he may be get more consideration as the best ever.

Let me get this straight. . . you're coming to an OU board saying that Tom Osbourne was only interested in his players' futures and that Barry Switzer should have been better at taking care of bad apples?

Probably not the place to make this hypocritical case? Just sayin.

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2010, 04:31 PM

^^ This.

I grew up on the Run of '71 but I also remember hearing about an OU fan's car being demolished in Lincoln after the 1978 game. What kind of fans demo an innocent person's car after winning a football game?

Enjoy the Big 10 and don't bother to write.

OUthunder
12/4/2010, 04:32 PM
Jackson didnt have uncalled clips to help him.

!!!

OUthunder
12/4/2010, 04:40 PM
**** nebraska

+1

usaosooner
12/4/2010, 04:41 PM
**** nebraska

THIS

cahusker
12/4/2010, 04:45 PM
Look there are idiots at every college team in the country, yes even Nebraska. I am not going to say it did not happen. Overall yes I think Nebr. fans are pretty good. I will not come to an OU board and knock your team. I do like OU except when playing my Huskers. I loved Switzer and heck my dad use to always say ..."we need a guy like Switzer because Osborne is too nice and football is not for nice guys...."

Coloradosker
12/4/2010, 04:52 PM
Look there are idiots at every college team in the country, yes even Nebraska. I am not going to say it did not happen. Overall yes I think Nebr. fans are pretty good. I will not come to an OU board and knock your team. I do like OU except when playing my Huskers. I loved Switzer and heck my dad use to always say ..."we need a guy like Switzer because Osborne is too nice and football is not for nice guys...."

I agree. I walked back to campus after the 2001 game with a group of OU fans who couldn't have been nicer. We chatted for quite a while and wished each other good luck and said "See you in the title game." That's the way it always should be in athletics, but every fanbase has their ***holes and people who are always looking to provoke.

Rogue
12/4/2010, 04:56 PM
I think it's a great traditional rivalry.

Yeah, somehow Osborne and the BS "walk-on" program, felons, rapists, and women-beaters never got the reputation they earned. My theory was always that there was only friendly media for hundreds of miles in every direction.

The '95 Huskers are the best team I've ever seen on the field together, bar none. That team was BEAST!

Lincoln is like a lot of places...funny things happen there.
My only trip there was when they tossed it back to the QB...Crouch I think...for the go ahead score. Runzas were good.

I still have a handful of tickets from the '96 blowout in Norman. I was a student and it was my one and only attempt at being a ticket-scalper...thought I'd load up on student tickets (half price at the time) and make a killing. By kickoff I still couldn't unload them all so went into the game, stayed to the bitter end (and there weren't many OU fans left in the 4th quarter), went home and drank myself to sleep.

FirstandGoal
12/4/2010, 05:32 PM

Ummm, look-- I don't know if you're legitimately putting your foot in it or if this is some sort of passive aggressive back-handed insult system you've got going here and you think you've been very clever about it.

Either way, **** Nebraska

Cornfed
12/4/2010, 06:11 PM
I loved the rivalry , Its common for those that fear their opponents to dehumanize them to make themselves feel superior.

I think the RRR is more hatred whereas the OU Neb game was the two big dogs getting after it for dominance.

I miss the rivalry.

OKLA21FAN
12/4/2010, 06:16 PM
NU is dead to me. Has been dead since that farce of a coach called us a 'bunch of F-ing hillbillies, one day in Norman. NU fans like to live in the past in term of being the 'best fans in the nation'. That is not true today, and hasn't been that way in over ten years.

Have fun spending your winters in the Big 10.

So BugEaters,

So long, farewell, Auf Weidersehen, goodbye!

CrimsonRez
12/4/2010, 06:30 PM
and fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk you!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
12/4/2010, 06:41 PM
When Larry the Cable Guy is your biggest fan you have truly sunk into the bowels of hell.

Sooner95
12/4/2010, 06:45 PM
Hell I'm only 36, but I can recall several awesome matchups against nu.. 86? 87? oh yea! 94 95? ugh..that drubbing in 96??? We've paid them back as well.

I think it's fitting we get another shot at each other tonight. The winner going to the Fiesta (someone should have changed this to the Orange for this year).

In the last 15yrs or so of College football this rivalry is not what is once was..but that's the way it goes.

I say, let's just kick their *** one more time for good measure.

Ground_Attack
12/4/2010, 06:58 PM

Blashphemy. Switzer's caring about his players was part of his downfall along with Darrel Royal's bad mouthing of him. Try doing some actual research before making yourself look like an ignorant jackass on the subject! Did you learn your Switzer history from hornfans.com?

Flagstaffsooner
12/4/2010, 07:08 PM
Blashphemy. Switzer's caring about his players was part of his downfall along with Darrel Royal's bad mouthing of him. Try doing some actual research before making yourself look like an ignorant jackass on the subject! Did you learn your Switzer history from hornfans.com?
The little snot nose obviously has a corn cob up his ***.