PDA

View Full Version : Westboro BC pickets Big 12 Championship

cjames317
12/4/2010, 12:13 PM
From WBC website:

"WBC to picket the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Football Championship featuring Oklahoma University vs. University of Nebraska. Two peas in pod. These two evil states have set upon the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ declaring war on God! One set about to charge God's people for preaching. The other, led by their mayor, thought to set the mob upon the faithful servants of WBC, ignoring the commandment of God, and proving that you will not have that man Christ Jesus to rule over you."

Do not touch or threaten these people! They will sue you. That's how they fund their activities. Arlington PD has experience with WBC picketing and will have a buffer area between them and the fans.

sooner518
12/4/2010, 12:16 PM
these jackholes are picketing my brother's church in Norman tomorrow. Trinity Baptist, which is in itself, a pretty conservative church.

sojOUrn
12/4/2010, 12:16 PM
Wtf? link?

They're probably trying to raise money by getting someone to hit them so they can sue. Stay away from them, don't play in to their game.

ictsooner7
12/4/2010, 12:20 PM
From WBC website:

"WBC to picket the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Football Championship featuring Oklahoma University vs. University of Nebraska. Two peas in pod. These two evil states have set upon the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ declaring war on God! One set about to charge God's people for preaching. The other, led by their mayor, thought to set the mob upon the faithful servants of WBC, ignoring the commandment of God, and proving that you will not have that man Christ Jesus to rule over you."

Do not touch or threaten these people! They will sue you. That's how they fund their activities. Arlington PD has experience with WBC picketing and will have a buffer area between them and the fans.

Don't lump everyone from Kansas in with these right wing domestic terrorists.

Veteran now faces felony conspiracy charge
In a Wichita case that has captured national attention, a double-amputee war veteran already accused of misdemeanors against a controversial Topeka church now faces a felony charge.

The latest charge — conspiracy to commit aggravated battery — was filed by Sedgwick County prosecutors Friday afternoon. The charge accuses Army veteran Ryan Newell of engaging in a conspiracy in which firearms were obtained and put in his vehicle and taken to a place where church members were located.

Mid-morning Tuesday, detectives arrested Newell. He was backed into a parking spot outside Wichita City Hall with guns and ammunition in his SUV while five Westboro church members met inside with Wichita police officials to discuss protest-safety concerns, sources have said.

The felony charge alleges that there was a conspiracy in which Newell entered into an agreement with another person.

Newell's bond remains at $500,000. His next court appearance is set for Dec. 16.

Judge Ben Burgess said at a hearing Friday that if Newell were to post the bond, there would be a hearing to consider additional conditions for his release. One condition already set is that he have no contact with Westboro members.

The Eagle on Friday received calls from New Hampshire to Nevada from people wanting to give money to Newell's legal defense or bond.

Kim Parker, the chief deputy district attorney in Sedgwick County, noted that the case has received wide attention and "that the public's sympathies may weigh heavy."

Still, Parker said, "We decide cases based on the facts and the law. We don't decide cases based on whether we like or dislike the victim or the suspect."

Meanwhile, two people — the lawyer for Newell and a spokeswoman for Westboro — say Newell is the subject of other investigations.

Newell, 26, of Marion, has remained in the Sedgwick County Jail since Tuesday evening.

"It's obvious that Mr. Newell has a great outpouring of support, some of whom share our client's view of supporting our country," said lawyer Boyd McPherson, who along with fellow Wichita lawyer Steve Joseph is representing Newell.

"He's not interested in publicity," McPherson said of Newell. "He appreciates all the support that's being offered."

Westboro and its members have been widely condemned for protesting at soldiers' funerals nationwide. Westboro contends that soldiers are dying because God is punishing the nation for immorality.

Margie Phelps is one of the five Westboro members who protested Tuesday outside Mulvane High School and then rode in a van to Wichita City Hall, where detectives arrested Newell.

Westboro members have picketed at almost 600 soldiers' funerals in the last 5 1/2 years, Phelps said. The protests generally have taken place a half-mile to a mile from funeral locations, she said. The protesters from Westboro leave when the funerals start, she said.

At nearly all of the protests, veterans on motorcycles and their supporters have been present, she said. "They track us down and try to shut us up and do harm to us," said Phelps, 54.

"Those guys aren't going to shut us up," she said. "That can be written in stone."

On Thursday, prosecutors charged Newell with stalking, three counts of criminal use of weapons and one count of false impersonation of a law enforcement officer.

The stalking charge accuses Newell of actions targeted at Westboro members and putting them in fear for their safety. Sedgwick County sheriff's detectives arrested Newell after a sheriff's detective saw him following a Westboro van to City Hall, officials said.

The weapons charges accuse Newell of unlawfully carrying and concealing or possessing with "intent to use" an M4 rifle, .45-caliber Glock handgun and .38-caliber Smith and Wesson handgun. Besides the weapons, Newell also had more than 90 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, sources said.

An M4 rifle is a high-powered weapon used in combat; there are variations of the rifle, according to websites.

Westboro spokeswoman Shirley Phelps-Roper said earlier Friday: "Here is what I expect to happen: This guy is going to be called a hero, he may get a parade."

People "will line up to sing his praises, to pay his legal fees and to get him a lawyer," she said. "Then he will be permitted to plead to some nothing charges."

Phelps-Roper also said, "We've had communication about a federal investigation" involving Newell. "And I don't think I ought to say any more about that."

FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton said she could neither confirm or deny the existence of an investigation.

The Eagle has previously reported that agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives went to Newell's home and obtained items including firearms.

McPherson, Newell's lawyer, said, "I'm hearing that there are other investigations that are pending." He declined to elaborate.

McPherson said he is working to make sure that Newell's medical needs are met while he is in jail. McPherson said he thinks Newell has been placed in the jail clinic because of medications associated with his war injuries.

Newell lost his legs in 2008 when an improvised bomb exploded in Afghanistan. Some of his fellow soldiers died in the explosion.

CatfishSooner
12/4/2010, 12:24 PM
i wish these ****s would go away

usaosooner
12/4/2010, 12:29 PM
These people need to DIAF

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/4/2010, 12:29 PM
First glance had me wondering why some entity from British Columbia would GAS about the Big 12 championship, OU or Nebbish.

Widescreen
12/4/2010, 12:35 PM
I wonder how it feels knowing that 99.99999999999% of America hates you with tremendous passion. The other 0.00000000001% just haven't heard of them yet.

soonerloyal
12/4/2010, 01:08 PM
I still say someone needs to fark pictures of the Phelps family doing nasty acts with each other & animals, and counter-picket them. "God hates the Phelps family" signs would be awesome as well.

SoonerTank
12/4/2010, 01:09 PM
:mad: Within the last 3 weeks we had a soldier's funeral here in McAlester. They were here to protest his funeral. They estimate there were over 1000 citizens lining the streets and a motor cycle gang that constantly reved their cycles in front of the protestors when they began their protest. The van they traveled in had two tires slashed on the side away from the police. No one in town would sell them tires except one, Wal-Mart. Many vehicles with Kansas tags that night at the many motels that are in McAlester were vandalized. They were said to have come back to file charges on the city for their tires being slashed. Now we are hearing they are going to start protesting childrens deaths. Sick people.:mad:

I apologize for not staying on the original topic. It is a shame that these people will get publicity at the Big 12 Championship game. Are we to politically correct?

agoo758
12/4/2010, 01:15 PM
The funny thing is is that those people are the ones that are going to hell. :P

agoo758
12/4/2010, 01:16 PM
:
I apologize for not staying on the original topic. It is a shame that these people will get publicity at the Big 12 Championship game. Are we to politically correct?

There is some free speech in this country that should be severly limited. :mad:

cjames317
12/4/2010, 01:18 PM
Weirdly, the fact that they're allowed to rant shows the greatness of the USA.

delhalew
12/4/2010, 01:18 PM
:mad: Within the last 3 weeks we had a soldier's funeral here in McAlester. They were here to protest his funeral. They estimate there were over 1000 citizens lining the streets and a motor cycle gang that constantly reved their cycles in front of the protestors when they began their protest. The van they traveled in had two tires slashed on the side away from the police. No one in town would sell them tires except one, Wal-Mart. Many vehicles with Kansas tags that night at the many motels that are in McAlester were vandalized. They were said to have come back to file charges on the city for their tires being slashed. Now we are hearing they are going to start protesting childrens deaths. Sick people.:mad:

They have nice toasty spot saved for them in the pits of hell. It's a shame we have to wait to wait for them to die. Although, with that much hate in your heart, I can't imagine how miserable life must be.

batonrougesooner
12/4/2010, 01:22 PM
Ignore them and they will go away.

It's the publicity that keeps them going.

trueou
12/4/2010, 01:24 PM
Everyone is entitled to free speech. But the offended party should be able to kick their *** without government interference. The government is not to censor speech but there is no requirement that it protect that spec from push back.

BajaOklahoma
12/4/2010, 01:34 PM
If I see them, I will point and laugh.

mdklatt
12/4/2010, 01:40 PM
Is everybody so upset because WBC hates gays or because they protest military funerals?

:pop:

oudivesherpa
12/4/2010, 01:41 PM
The funny thing is is that those people are the ones that are going to hell. :P

Your Right! They are going to Texas! :D

soonerloyal
12/4/2010, 01:45 PM
Is everybody so upset because WBC hates gays or because they protest military funerals?

:pop:

For me, both. That and the fact that they sow hatred and twist scripture in an attempt to justify it.

Anyway, here's hoping they'll not be getting the attention they crave at the game. **ckers.

mdklatt
12/4/2010, 01:53 PM
Anyway, here's hoping they'll not be getting the attention they crave at the game. **ckers.

There have been WBC counterprotests where the other group essentially walls the WBC protesters off with large signs, making them invisible. :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/4/2010, 01:59 PM
There is some free speech in this country that should be severly limited. :mad:

I wish we could shut these people up (and down) but you can't pick and choose who gets free speech. Otherwise, it's not too free for anyone. It is the publicity that drives these fools. Ignore them and they will eventually go away.

ouwasp
12/4/2010, 02:31 PM
:mad: Geez... where's a pack of rabid German Shepherds when you need them? :confused:

CrimsonRez
12/4/2010, 02:37 PM
wouldn't it be some ironic justice if fred phelps turned out to be gay?

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2010, 04:48 PM
Half the Phelps' family are attorneys so provoke them at your own risk.

jiminy
12/4/2010, 04:52 PM
Half the Phelps' family are attorneys so provoke them at your own risk.

Or, leave no witnesses

Sooner_Tuf
12/4/2010, 05:00 PM
I have seen them around for about 20 years. They constantly have demonstrations in Topeka. Their signs are vulgar and not appropriate for children but they don't have any problem hanging around parks and other places children are present.

I don't really care about them but protesting funerals is going to far. I would gladly go to prison to put a stop to them protesting a funeral of someone I knew. I can't believe someone hasn't killed them.

ELP Sooner
12/4/2010, 05:28 PM
michael moore and the sodom mobile takes on fred and co.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhekTRrvGrI

LRoss
12/4/2010, 05:43 PM
I'm guessing this doesn't need to be said, but please try to not hold groups like this up as representative of Jesus Christ. Of course they claim his name and his authority, but they're like the drunk moron fans at a football game who the rest of the fanbase is embarrased of and wish would stop coming to the games and supporting their team altogether.

AggieGirl2005
12/4/2010, 05:46 PM
I have seen them around for about 20 years. They constantly have demonstrations in Topeka. Their signs are vulgar and not appropriate for children but they don't have any problem hanging around parks and other places children are present.

I don't really care about them but protesting funerals is going to far. I would gladly go to prison to put a stop to them protesting a funeral of someone I knew. I can't believe someone hasn't killed them.

Looks like someone might have been trying...

Retired Army Sgt. Ryan J. Newell, 26, of Marion was charged Thursday with stalking anti-veteran protestors, impersonating a law enforcement officer and three counts of illegally using weapons.

According to a complaint filed in Sedgwick County he was arrested Tuesday for allegedly following members of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka and the family of controversial church pastor Fred Phelps. He was accused of possessing an M4 military assault carbine, a .45-caliber Glock pistol and a .38-caliber Smith and Wesson pistol at the time and of falsing telling authorities he was a reserve deputy sheriff.
-------
Originally from Goddard, Newell has lived in Marion with his wife, Carrie, and children since losing both legs Jan. 7, 2008, in Afghanistan after an improvised bomb attack.

He was a member of Battery A, 5th Battalion, 7th Air Defense Artillery when the group was attacked. Two soldiers in a vehicle with Newell that day died.

Newell reportedly flat-lined twice during the next four days.

He was transported to a hospital in Germany, then later recovered for nearly a year at Walter Reed Army Medical Center
http://www.marionrecord.com/direct/veteran_charged_with_stalking_protesters+1011newel l+5665746572616e2063686172676564207769746820737461 6c6b696e672070726f74657374657273

Wonder if a jury would actually convict him...

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2010, 05:48 PM
Everyone is entitled to free speech. But the offended party should be able to kick their *** without government interference. The government is not to censor speech but there is no requirement that it protect that spec from push back.

Er, yeah, there is, when that "push back" goes from speech to assault they darn well do.

GrapevineSooner
12/4/2010, 05:55 PM
Just point and laugh, people.

jiminy
12/4/2010, 05:58 PM
Just point and laugh, people.

Hard to do at a funeral

bluedogok
12/4/2010, 06:05 PM
these jackholes are picketing my brother's church in Norman tomorrow. Trinity Baptist, which is in itself, a pretty conservative church.
The WBC people are not "conservative", they are just nut jobs along the same lines of every other religious cult like those led by Koresh and Jim Jones.

Wonder if a jury would actually convict him...
Guilty....but sentenced to time served :D