PDA

View Full Version : Programs You Respect the Most

PLaw
12/3/2010, 10:11 PM
Okay, time to turn the table on who you hate. Other than OU, what programs do you respect the most??

Here's my current list:

1. Bama / never really liked 'em too much until the home and home series this decade. Never saw so much respect between two programs.

2. Zona / only because of Mike and it seems they are sticking by him.

3. Stanford / with those admissions standards it's nice to see them compete.

4. UCLA / they did Troy right and have always been the underdog to SUC.

5. osu / as a 4th gen Okie, it's like me against my brother, me and my brother against the world. Always root for them when they aren't playing OU.

6. Iowa / former manager played with Mike when Bobby was GA. Always like Frye, even though my buddy hated him.

7. Tulsa / same as 5.

8. Tech / as a sand aggie alum, I feel compelled to put them on the list. But since, Gerald let CJ run Leach out of town, not so much.

hmmmm??? finding it hard to think of any more.

BOOMER

CrimsonRez
12/3/2010, 10:17 PM
SWOSU
NEOSU
TULSA
ST. OLAF
U. MAINE AT BANGOR
NWOSU
MURRAY STATE

oupride
12/3/2010, 10:20 PM
A&M and Alabama and that is about it.

goingoneight
12/3/2010, 10:35 PM
Oklahoma's football program
Oklahoma's basketball program
... you get the point. :D

cdlbdd
12/3/2010, 10:36 PM
1) Nebraska
2) Texas A&M
3) Alabama
4) Texas
5) Michigan
6) Tennessee
7) Ohio State
8) Pennsylvania State
9) Ole Miss
10) Southern California

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/3/2010, 10:59 PM
Well because "like" and "respect" are two different things:

1) Oklahoma - no better tradition in college football
2) Ohio State - will NEVER root for them, but hard to argue against their success and the way they are coached
3) Michigan - a great history and a winning tradition that rival the best schools in college football (obviously forgetting the last few years)
4) Nebraska (prior to the Big 10 move) - they have provided some of the best games in college football history.
5) Alabama - another long history of great college football

agoo758
12/3/2010, 11:06 PM
1. UL Lafayette

2. Wisconsin

3. Indiana

4. Standford

5. William and Mary

6. Iowa State

Cornfed
12/3/2010, 11:21 PM
1.) Alabama - Gotta Respect Their dominance of the south in the Bear years and before

2.) Nebraska- Loved the big 8 competition with em, the big 12 watered it down to nothing.(allways rooted for em when they played their bowl games except for 1 of course)

3.) Michigan- Respect their history, had some annoying teams but overall Like em.

and thats about it.

Always_Sooner
12/3/2010, 11:24 PM
1.) Oklahoma
2.) Nebraska
3.) Texas Christian
4.) Penn State
5.) Kansas State

Cornfed
12/3/2010, 11:25 PM
I didn't put OU on my list because that's a given....lol

85sooners
12/3/2010, 11:27 PM
West Virginia,Boise state,Oregon,Missouri,a&m

En_Fuego
12/3/2010, 11:38 PM
1. Nebraska (pre-90s).....thats all.

sojOUrn
12/3/2010, 11:39 PM
Nebraska used to be at the top of my list. I really don't know what to think of them now. I guess I can still respect the old school Nebraska with verdict out on whatever they're becoming now.

Otherwise I'm on board with all the other big-time programs already mentioned here except AL.

I know a lot of OU fans have this secret love affair with Bama and the SEC, but I'm just not there. I can't say have any particularly good reason. But I just don't care much for Alabama or the SEC. Maybe there is some respect because of the tradition, etc., but for many OU fans it goes beyond that with AL and the SEC.

tcrb
12/3/2010, 11:40 PM
I just gained alot of respect for TCU for making the move to a BCS conference (even though it is arguably the weakest of them all). Kinda put the pressure on the smurfs to do the same or stfu.

CrimsonCommando
12/3/2010, 11:48 PM
1) Oklahoma
2) Florida State- cool when Warrick Dunn went there, not so much the past decade.
3) Georgia Tech- seem to get decent coach
4) all the service academies - they got more than football to consider
5) Arizona or ole Miss - they got hot wimmens

ELP Sooner
12/3/2010, 11:49 PM
Respect in no particular order and for different reasons

Afa, Navy, Army, Washington, Ohio State, Alabama, TCU, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Stanford

Cornfed
12/3/2010, 11:55 PM
I know a lot of OU fans have this secret love affair with Bama and the SEC, but I'm just not there. I can't say have any particularly good reason. But I just don't care much for Alabama or the SEC. Maybe there is some respect because of the tradition, etc., but for many OU fans it goes beyond that with AL and the SEC.

I respect AL but dislike the SEC.

tcrb
12/3/2010, 11:56 PM
I respect AL but dislike the SEC.

I would respect Bama if they weren't in the sec

Cornfed
12/4/2010, 12:02 AM
I would respect Bama if they weren't in the sec

Good point...lol

Joe
12/4/2010, 12:35 AM
No particular order:

Nebraska, Alabama, TCU.

StoopTroup
12/4/2010, 12:54 AM
Oklahoma

Okie35
12/4/2010, 02:04 AM
Besides Oklahoma for obvious reasons...

TCU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Alabama is ok but none of that SEC nonsense, Virginia Tech, thats all I can think about right now.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/4/2010, 02:36 AM
1) alcoholics annonymous
2) gamblers annonymous
3)....

wait, oh football programs......gotcha... let me think about that one

texaspokieokie
12/4/2010, 10:27 AM
Sul Ross
Mary Hardin Baylor
Rice

caseysooner
12/4/2010, 10:30 AM
Every Big 12 school except ut

SoonerinSouthlake
12/4/2010, 10:42 AM
bama-long term success
nebbish-success and quality fans

tcu-for rising from the ashes to be invited to join the (semi) big boy table

a&m-not for their success but for the quality of most of their fans when you visit them

whorns....just kidding... a month from now despite their abysmal season they will begin acting as if they actually won the MNC

Ohio State..not for real success... I dont have a whole lot of respect for the B10...but just for keeping their tradition going, and showing up at the top of the polls year in and year out

Dan Thompson
12/4/2010, 10:46 AM
Oklahoma
Alabama
Nebraska

1890MilesToNorman
12/4/2010, 10:52 AM
What, no Miami or LSU? :rolleyes:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/4/2010, 11:01 AM
Oklahoma's football program
Oklahoma's basketball program
... you get the point. :D3)OU women's basketball
4) OU wrestling prior to coach Spates
5) OU Baseball
6) All other OU sports teams
7) Bishop Kelley High School, Tulsa
8) Cardinal Mooney HS, Youngstown Ohio
9) Crescent HS Tigers, Crescent OK
10) NFL team with the most Sooners on their squad.

StiffArmTrophy
12/4/2010, 04:00 PM
Florida International, UTEP, and Memphis but only in football!

oudivesherpa
12/4/2010, 04:22 PM
Notre Dame, not that they are relevant any more. They couldn't beat Tulsa. Wait, they didn't beat Tulsa!

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2010, 04:24 PM
Slippery Rock. ;)

TUSooner
12/4/2010, 07:40 PM
Well because "like" and "respect" are two different things:

1) Oklahoma - no better tradition in college football
2) Ohio State - will NEVER root for them, but hard to argue against their success and the way they are coached
3) Michigan - a great history and a winning tradition that rival the best schools in college football (obviously forgetting the last few years)
4) Nebraska (prior to the Big 10 move) - they have provided some of the best games in college football history.
5) Alabama - another long history of great college football

I can go with that, but maybe not in the same order.
I also respect Penn State, Stanford, and LSU, even though I don't "like" LSU, and their fans are mostly trash.

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2010, 12:16 AM
I'll go with:
1) 'Bama
2) Arizona
3) UCLA, because they have a delightful habit of humiliating ut.

Used to include Nebraska, but Callahan's tenure and tucking tail to the B10 ruined that (mostly the former).

Used to include Oregon before the disaster in 2006. If Oregon and its fans had come out and stood up for what was obviously true, I would have held respect for them. The way they tried to polish that turd completely turned me off.

Wow, sad that that's it.