PDA

View Full Version : So this woman who coaches college athletics is a lesbian? That's crazy talk.

3rdgensooner
12/3/2010, 05:00 PM
Belmont disputes gay coach was fired (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101203/SPORTS06/12030362/Belmont+disputes+gay+coach+was+fired)

Sexuality brought ultimatum from school, players say

Belmont University (http://www.belmont.edu/) women's soccer coach Lisa Howe (http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/w-soccer/coaches/HOWE_LISA?tmpl=/information/directory/bio-template) is without a job today, and the reason may involve her sexual orientation.

The university issued a release Thursday night with Athletics Director Mike Strickland stating that Howe decided to resign on her own without offering further explanation.

However, several members of the soccer team say Howe told them she was pressured into resigning after telling school administrators and the team she and her same-sex partner were having a baby.

Howe, who has been at Belmont six seasons, informed the t
eam Thursday that she had resigned. She could not be reached for comment but is quoted in the release as saying, "I am at a point in my life where I am satisfied to move on."

Erica Carter, a senior on the team, said Howe told her and her roommate Ashley Hudak, a junior on the team, Tuesday that athletics department officials had given her the choice to resign or be terminated because she had told the team her partner was pregnant with a baby due in May.

"She said she went to the administration to get permission to talk to us about (the pregnancy) so that she could bring us to light on her becoming a mother," Carter said.

"She didn't want us to hear it from other sources. She has never talked about her personal life before. We always hear rumors, speculation and things. She wanted this to come directly from her."

Carter said Howe told her administrators did not immediately give her permission to address the team about the matter. She said Howe said she asked again several weeks later and still was not given permission.

"By then people were finding out, so she went ahead and took the initiative and told us, even though they didn't clear her to tell us," Carter said.

Hudak confirmed that the coach said she was given the choice to resign or be terminated because she had revealed her sexuality by telling the team about the pregnancy.

"She said she needed to resign or she was going to be fired because of the choices she had made with her life," Hudak said. "She said she had tried to clear telling us she was having a baby through the athletic department and they weren't allowing her to."

Team captain Sari Lin said she met with Strickland on Tuesday and he told her Howe had violated a university policy pertaining to individual sexuality.

"He basically said we have the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy and when she told us about the pregnancy, it violated that," Lin said. "She was telling us what her sexual preference is. He said you can hide your sexuality, but you can't hide a baby. He pretty much told me that once the baby was born she was going to get fired anyway, so it's better to do it sooner than later."

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2010, 05:20 PM
I'd be more shocked to find out that there was a straight women's soccer coach...hell, I'd be shocked to find out that there's a straight women's soccer player. Hell, I'd be shocked to find out there is a straight men's soccer player.

Soccer is just gay.

Howzit
12/3/2010, 05:23 PM
Says the Zima swigging Vespa rider.

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2010, 05:26 PM
Says the Zima swigging Vespa rider.

Yep. Neither of which are anywhere near as gay as soccer.:hot:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/3/2010, 05:31 PM
I'd be more shocked to find out that there was a straight women's soccer coach...hell, I'd be shocked to find out that there's a straight women's soccer player. Hell, I'd be shocked to find out there is a straight men's soccer player.

Soccer is just gay.

Sweet. My first wife and mother of my child was a lesbian.

If only I had some waify elitist tell me this years ago.

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2010, 05:35 PM
Sweet. My first wife and mother of my child was a lesbian.

If only I had some waify elitist tell me this years ago.

Fret not, one is telling you now.

silverwheels
12/3/2010, 06:16 PM
SicEm is an expert on gay.

Thaumaturge
12/3/2010, 06:35 PM
Crucify her!

Okla-homey
12/3/2010, 08:26 PM
Hell, I'd be shocked to find out there is a straight men's soccer player.

Soccer is just gay.

Sic, we don't agree on much, but on this, you are absolutely correct. Soccer is evil and it must be stamped out wherever it is found across this great nation from the Atlantic to the Pacific. It is ruining American youth and is only fit for poor, dirty, irrelevant countries that can't afford, or are too pussified, for football or rugby.

rekamrettuB
12/3/2010, 08:30 PM
Settle down little guy.

OnlyOneOklahoma
12/4/2010, 08:38 AM
Soccer is less gay than Hand-Egg. No sissy pads.

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2010, 11:12 AM
I don't understand how she and her partner are having a baby. What was her involvement in the baby-making operation? Cheerleader?

stoopified
12/4/2010, 01:57 PM
I don't understand how she and her partner are having a baby. What was her involvement in the baby-making operation? Cheerleader?Maybe she did the handywork? :D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/4/2010, 02:02 PM
I don't understand how she and her partner are having a baby. What was her involvement in the baby-making operation? Cheerleader?

MFF

silverwheels
12/4/2010, 03:20 PM
MFF

:hot:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/6/2010, 12:16 AM
Turkey baster technician.

GottaHavePride
12/6/2010, 08:59 PM
Sic, we don't agree on much, but on this, you are absolutely correct. Soccer is evil and it must be stamped out wherever it is found across this great nation from the Atlantic to the Pacific. It is ruining American youth and is only fit for poor, dirty, irrelevant countries that can't afford, or are too pussified, for football or rugby.

So, your thoughts on the recent studies that link playing football to significant degenerative brain damage? I wouldn't want my kid playing football.

C O R N * D O G
12/6/2010, 09:14 PM
So, your thoughts on the recent studies that link playing football to significant degenerative brain damage? I wouldn't want my kid playing football.

Good for you. The world needs more pansies.

Fraggle145
12/6/2010, 09:27 PM

Headers cause teh dumb too. (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/soccer.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O871g7h36Ko/R-O5D8FWScI/AAAAAAAAAsg/35W0j-oUAvA/s1600/soccer%2Bheader%2Bfail.jpg

GottaHavePride
12/6/2010, 09:34 PM
Good for you. The world needs more pansies.

And brain-damaged morons, apparently.

Headers cause teh dumb too. (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/soccer.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O871g7h36Ko/R-O5D8FWScI/AAAAAAAAAsg/35W0j-oUAvA/s1600/soccer%2Bheader%2Bfail.jpg

I never said soccer was any better.