PDA

View Full Version : Your Bowl Interest

boomersooner28
12/3/2010, 04:07 PM
Let me first start by saying that this is not a BCS sucks, we need a playoff, bla blah blah thread. This is more about viewership. I was just thinking about my college football interest when the Bowl season rolls around and wanted to see where everyone else stood. I, myself LOVE college football. College football is my favorite thing ever when it comes to OU. However, I don't watch a lot of Bowls. I definitely don't watch all the crappy Bowl games there are now. If TU or lil brother is playin I may tune in for a bit to see how they are doing, but in general I dont give 2 chits about most of the Bowls. In my mind they are for the gamblers, which I am not. Now, lets get to BCS Bowls. Unless there is a really intriguing matchup, or my Sooners are playing, I don't watch much of them either. As for the MNC game, I usually watch most of it. So I got to thinking....would I be MORE interested if there were a playoff? Would I watch all of the playoff games? I think I would watch A LOT more if there were a playoff system. Especially if OU were in the playoff. I would want to guage the other competition and see there strengths and weaknesses.

So, my question is, if there were a playoff, do you think you would view MORE than the current system? Why or why not?

cyclonesooner
12/3/2010, 04:12 PM
If there's a college football game on, I'm there watching it. So no, I would not watch more frequently.

rekamrettuB
12/3/2010, 04:13 PM

So, my question is, if there were a playoff, do you think you would view MORE than the current system? Why or why not?

There's no doubt a playoff would get more interest compared to the bowls. But the cost is lesser viewership/interest of the regular season.

cdlbdd
12/3/2010, 04:14 PM

I think I would watch more for a few reasons.

1) More than likely the games would be scheduled more closely together (4 playoff games on a saturday perhaps), making it easier to watch more of them. Weeknight games are hard for me to watch.

2) The games would (to me at least) mean more than the current bowls outside of the BCS championship game.

3) Higher seeded teams would likely be home teams, and I enjoy observing home crowds for different schools across the country. To me, the home crowd advantage in college football/basketball is particularly enjoyable to observe.

MeMyself&Me
12/3/2010, 04:14 PM
I love the bowls. Gives me football damned near every night for the holidays. Loved them even more when I was single and could watch every night if I wanted too. Married, I have to pick and chose which ones I have the TV tuned into as my wife despises football for whatever reason. :(

Usually I'll watch the bowls which Big 12 teams or something along those lines.

I think I'd watch less with a playoff simply because it would probably be on one or two days a week and there's no way I'm sitting down all day to watch football during the holidays (if it's not Jan. 1). I'll admit that I'd watch with a bit more earnest rather that watching while doing other things which is how I tend to watch football when OU not playing right now.

soonersweetie
12/3/2010, 04:18 PM
I watch all the bowl games I can now. I am sure I would do the same in a playoff scenario.

fadada1
12/3/2010, 04:19 PM
big east champion vs. whoever the lacky is to face them might be the only game i have no interest in seeing.

if we make it to the fiesta, they better have us play stanford.

Jacie
12/3/2010, 04:28 PM
I am with you on this one. I watch regular season games, particularly the Thursday night offerings and Saturday evening games. But I doubt that I will watch such thrillers as the Beef O'Brady St. Petersburg Bowl (projected matchup: USF vs USM) or the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetta Bowl (projected matchup: San Diego State vs Navy) or the Little Ceasar's Pizza Bowl (projected matchup: Northern Illinois vs Louisville). Too many bowls, too many teams, zero history (the bowl or the matchup a lot times) to interest me.

Give me some drama, a storyline. Example of some I might watch are this year's Insight Bowl, matching the Big 10 #4 or #5 team vs Big XII #5 and the TicketCity Bowl, also a Big 10/Big XII matchup, as well as the the January 1, 3, 4 and 10 games (all of these BCS).

I'll have to evaluate the January 6, 7, 8 and 9 games on the basis of which two teams are playing and decide then.

virginiasooner
12/3/2010, 04:40 PM
Give me some drama, a storyline. Example of some I might watch are this year's Insight Bowl, matching the Big 10 #4 or #5 team vs Big XII #5 and the TicketCity Bowl, also a Big 10/Big XII matchup, as well as the the January 1, 3, 4 and 10 games (all of these BCS).

I'll have to evaluate the January 6, 7, 8 and 9 games on the basis of which two teams are playing and decide then.

I would rather have a three or four day orgy of football, Dec. 29 to Jan. 2, than stringing it out for a week. And my dream matchup would be OU-Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

AggieGirl2005
12/3/2010, 04:40 PM
There's no doubt a playoff would get more interest compared to the bowls. But the cost is lesser viewership/interest of the regular season.

Is that necessarily true? In the hypothetical playoff system (I'm sure there are several), how many teams make it to the playoffs? I've usually seen 16. Plus there could be seeding like in basketball, so you'd want to be ranked as high as possible to get the lowest seed in the first round. I'm all for a playoff system, even though under it, my Ags would be OUT this year!!

I'd be more likely to watch playoffs than bowls. Playoffs are just fun all around. I'm not a huge basketball fan but I always get into March Madness.

silverwheels
12/3/2010, 04:44 PM
Playoff and bowls don't have to be exclusive. The bowls can still function as something like an NIT or whatever.

As for me, my interest in college football is already about as high as it can get. It wouldn't change if we stuck with the bowls and poll system or if we had a playoff.

LRoss
12/3/2010, 04:47 PM
I'll watch whatever's on IF I have nothing better to do, but otherwise I only make time for OU. So no effect either way for me.

I'd love to see a playoff like most people, but mostly I just wish everybody would quit whining about how the BCS is terrible. I think it's MUCH better than before the BCS.

(Yep, that could be taken as whining.)

AlboSooner
12/3/2010, 04:48 PM
If Auburn played Oregon in the NC, I'd watch about 5 min and then watch something else. They're both terrific teams but dont make me feel interested in that matchup.

pac10SUX
12/3/2010, 04:52 PM
I think a combo of both would interest me the most. 16 team playoff & then bowls for those with winning records who didn't make the playoff. Have the playoffs on Saturdays with the bowls during the other days of the week.

SoonerTank
12/3/2010, 04:54 PM
I probably wouldn't watch more. My game watching is more of "if" I can be somewhere to watch.

TUSooner
12/3/2010, 04:57 PM
I watch all the bowl games I can now. I am sure I would do the same in a playoff scenario.

What she said. I may not set aside time for every game, but if it's on and I have a TV, I'm watching. College football season comes and goes too fast!

silverwheels
12/3/2010, 05:13 PM
What she said. I may not set aside time for every game, but if it's on and I have a TV, I'm watching. College football season comes and goes too fast!

For serious.

proudsoonergal
12/3/2010, 06:17 PM
I try to watch all of the bowl games every year. Bowl Week is truly the most wonderful week of the year!!!

In fact, I'm waiting on scheduling a party until after the bowl matchups are announced. We do a white elephant party the week between Christmas & NYs, and I want to make sure it doesn't conflict with any Big 12/interesting matchups. :D

allanace16
12/3/2010, 06:28 PM
I watch just about every game of bowl season as it is. Very similar reasoning to why I never leave home games early. There's only so much football before it's gone, and we're all pining for more football. So you gotta enjoy it while it's here.

Remember when I first got a place by myself, saved up money working that summer for 2 things: a kegerator and a 50" plasma, all for BOWL SEASON. The most wonderful time of the year......

AggieGirl2005
12/3/2010, 06:34 PM
I watch just about every game of bowl season as it is. Very similar reasoning to why I never leave home games early. There's only so much football before it's gone, and we're all pining for more football. So you gotta enjoy it while it's here.

Remember when I first got a place by myself, saved up money working that summer for 2 things: a kegerator and a 50" plasma, all for BOWL SEASON. The most wonderful time of the year......

This is my first season as a bigtime CFB fan so I can't wait. This was the most wonderful Thanksgiving holiday I've ever had, so I may just die of happiness during bowl season.

This was my setup on Saturday for regular season...
http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/7703/46285769349190906152132.th.jpg (http://img602.imageshack.us/i/46285769349190906152132.jpg/)

and guess who just got a NEW 55" LCD on Black Friday...3x the games, 3x the fun!

budbarrybob
12/3/2010, 07:03 PM
Hot steaming bowl of chili. While watching any bowl game...

oudivesherpa
12/3/2010, 08:06 PM
I just wish the Sooners had a chance to go to a bowl with a beach, South Florida this time of year would be nice.

Cornfed
12/3/2010, 08:10 PM
I watch football no matter who's playing.

cvsooner
12/3/2010, 08:23 PM
After the past few seasons, I want a BCS game and a W in it. I don't care who we're playing.

rekamrettuB
12/3/2010, 08:34 PM
Is that necessarily true? In the hypothetical playoff system (I'm sure there are several), how many teams make it to the playoffs? I've usually seen 16. Plus there could be seeding like in basketball, so you'd want to be ranked as high as possible to get the lowest seed in the first round. I'm all for a playoff system, even though under it, my Ags would be OUT this year!!

I'd be more likely to watch playoffs than bowls. Playoffs are just fun all around. I'm not a huge basketball fan but I always get into March Madness.

The way I look it is this; win the conference and you're in. So when OU lost to Mizzu, not that big a deal. I wouldn't watch games like Nevada/Boise. I wouldn't watch as many games not OU related. I love college football regular season more than the NFL and I watch more NFL playoff games than I do bowl games.

MamaMia
12/13/2010, 02:50 PM
This is my first season as a bigtime CFB fan so I can't wait. This was the most wonderful Thanksgiving holiday I've ever had, so I may just die of happiness during bowl season.

This was my setup on Saturday for regular season...
http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/7703/46285769349190906152132.th.jpg (http://img602.imageshack.us/i/46285769349190906152132.jpg/)

and guess who just got a NEW 55" LCD on Black Friday...3x the games, 3x the fun!

Why are you an aggie?
If this is your first season as a football fan, then you need to know that anything aggie or orange is only going to bring you pain and embarrassment. Mary, mother of God...switch now, before its too late! :confused:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2010, 02:58 PM
Why are you an aggie?
If this is your first season as a football fan, then you need to know that anything aggie or orange is only going to bring you pain and embarrassment. Mary, mother of God...switch now, before its too late! :confused:This is the Correct Answer, of course...as usual.

bent rider
12/13/2010, 04:29 PM

Agreed, its like saying no one watches college basketball during the last week of the season or NFL in the last few weeks of the season. At that point its all about positioning in the tournament seeding. Yeah, some teams are out of playoff consideration, but in the same thing happens in the current scheme of things once a team can no longer reach "bowl-eligible" status.

usaosooner
12/13/2010, 04:41 PM
i will watch every second the offseason is almost here

bent rider
12/13/2010, 10:07 PM
Oh, and I always say I'm not at all interested in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but if live football's on and I'm lookin' for something on the tube I will at least check it out for awhile to see if its a competitive game.

85sooners
12/13/2010, 10:10 PM
I love football!!

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 10:12 PM
Bowls are pretty much boring for the most part.

SOONER44EVER
12/13/2010, 10:51 PM
I'd watch way, way more games if it was a playoff. Why? Because a whole bunch of teams would have a chance to be champs (including us) than just the 2 playing now.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 09:52 AM
i can't maintain interest in any game unless i care who wins or loses.

for instance; i can't make myself watch a tx game unless they have a good chance of losing.

same with dallas cowboys.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2010, 10:02 AM
i can't make myself watch a tx game unless they have a good chance of losing.

same with dallas cowboys.

Then I guess this is your lucky year!!!:D

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 10:12 AM
Then I guess this is your lucky year!!!:D

yep, i'm i "hog heaven" !!!!!
7 losses & 9 losses.

what makes it so good is, they were both expected (by their fans) to be champs !!!!!!

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 10:41 AM
at my age Im more interested in a bowl of raisin bran.