PDA

View Full Version : CU possibly hiring Embree

Widescreen
12/2/2010, 02:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5875594

Washington Redskins tight ends coach Jon Embree has been offered the Colorado head coaching job, according to a report in the Denver Post.

Former Colorado coach Bill McCartney told the newspaper that the offer had been made.

However, Colorado spokesman Dave Plati said: "[Athletic director] Mike has not offered the job to anyone at this point. Rumors, everyone wanting to be first."

McCartney also was a candidate for the job. He told the Post that one plan was for him to take the job, bring in Embree and Minnesota Vikings assistant head coach/offense Eric Bieniemy as assistants, and groom one of the two to become the head coach after a period of a few years.

Colorado elected to eliminate McCartney from contention, and the Buffaloes' coach from 1982 to 1994 said he pushed for Embree and Bieniemy, two of his former players, as the successor to Dan Hawkins.

Embree would be the first black head football coach at Colorado. He also is a former Buffaloes player, something those around the school wanted. Embree was considered for the job when Hawkins was hired in 2005.

Bieniemy and Embree both were interviewed last Saturday in the Washington D.C., area. Bieniemy was there with the Vikings, who were playing Embree's Redskins.

[B]"It was never about me doing it again," McCartney told the paper. "It was about setting the table for a black man to come in [as head coach]. And [Bohn] hired one. Now, give him a chance."

According to the report, Colorado would like Embree to take the job and hire Bieniemy as his offensive coordinator.
What a bizarre comment for McCartney to make.

RedstickSooner
12/2/2010, 02:29 PM
Finally, a team can run my awesome four-tight-end offense, to see if my dreams of football domination through never-ending matchup problems come true.

mightysooner
12/2/2010, 02:31 PM
Another failed hiring decision by the CU AD.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2010, 02:52 PM
If this is true, it is bizarre all the way around. Is CU even committed to having even an OK program?

They should've talked to Minnesota about how well hiring an NFL tight ends coach with no coordinator experience worked out. Not that I know if Embree has or has not had coordinator experience. (Edit: Looked up bio on Redskins website. He was TE/Passing Game Coord at UCLA. But it doesn't look like he has ever had soley responsible OC duties.)

Regarding Bienemy, a lot of folks up here don't get what he contributes as RB coach for the Vikes other than screaming at the best RB in the NFL. Though Childress did promote him to Asst HC last summer, and USC had previously made an offer to him as OC which he turned down.

Weirdness rules.

85sooners
12/2/2010, 05:03 PM
:gary:

Widescreen
12/2/2010, 05:14 PM
I still don't know what the Gary England icon means.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/2/2010, 05:16 PM
Why do we care what some third rate Pac 10 school does?

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 05:26 PM
I still don't know what the Gary England icon means.

Storm watch.

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 05:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5875594

What a bizarre comment for McCartney to make.

Hiring coaches on account of race is a bad idea. Some will never learn. Colorado needs to be more like Auburn, and less like Kansas, in its hiring decisions.

OUNASH
12/2/2010, 06:15 PM
Everyone and I do mean everyone needs to hire on who is best for the job and not based on race.

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 06:24 PM
Everyone and I do mean everyone needs to hire on who is best for the job and not based on race.

Are you insinuating that hiring Blake was a mistake?

OUNASH
12/2/2010, 06:28 PM
You could say that. How about a HUGE mistake.

Sooner Cal
12/3/2010, 12:19 AM
Washington State is licking its chops. Any mistake with this hire and the Buffs will suffer for a decade.

Sorry, but if OU hadn't fired Switzer, the Buffs would never have won anything under McCartney.

SoonerMom2
12/3/2010, 12:27 AM
John Blake was good for one thing -- when we moved to Norman right before his second year we were able to get five season tickets. Next year we asked for three in one row on the aisle and two in front on the aisle and got that as well. Then Bob Stoops was hired and since then it has been much harder to get season tickets. I am grateful to Blake for the season tickets we have!

PDXsooner
12/3/2010, 12:36 AM
No one said Embree was hired because he was black. Stop speculating.

BoomerJ
12/3/2010, 12:44 AM
Storm watch.

I thought it meant you were a sports forecaster.

cleller
12/3/2010, 09:03 AM
I get very tired of the notion that giving extra consideration to someone because they are black is helping them, and other blacks out.

It is insulting to say to a man, "I am factoring your race into this hiring."

In the long run how does that help someone? The combination of talent and race lands the job. Then you go out to do the job, and that small talent deficit prevents you from excelling at it.
Had you waited until the candidate's talent rose to the level needed, he would then be successful, and really bring credit to himself.

sooner518
12/3/2010, 09:08 AM
No one said Embree was hired because he was black. Stop speculating.

"It was never about me doing it again," McCartney told the paper. "It was about setting the table for a black man to come in [as head coach]. And [Bohn] hired one. Now, give him a chance."

Not to say he was hired becuase he was black...but it seems that was at least a priority.

stoopified
12/3/2010, 10:06 AM
Why do we care what some third rate Pac 10 school does?:D

Widescreen
12/6/2010, 10:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5888899

Looks like it's going to be official this morning.

Embree will be joined in Boulder next month by fellow former Buffalo Eric Bieniemy, who will finish out the season as the Minnesota Vikings' running backs coach before returning to Colorado to serve as Embree's offensive coordinator.
AD's not going to know how to play now. :(

unbiasedtruth
12/6/2010, 10:49 AM
what you really need to ask yourself...... how can this be worse than the "homerun" hire of Dan Hawkins 5 years ago when he left Potato State to coach CU?

We'll see. I'm sure it's just the small things that need worked out. (both comments attributed to Dan Hawkins during his tenure at CU)

kelloggOUballa
12/6/2010, 11:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5888899

Looks like it's going to be official this morning.

AD's not going to know how to play now. :(

While obviously AD will be successful with any coach, this disappoints me because they seem to have great chemistry. EB seems to know exactly how to point AD in the right direction on the few things that he doesn't do well, and AD responds in a very positive way.