usaosooner
12/2/2010, 12:32 PM
blowing up on Twitter right now

85sooners
12/2/2010, 12:34 PM
dammit!

SoonerNutt
12/2/2010, 12:36 PM
Davis was a good OC. They've had alot of success with him. They'll tar and far the next guy the first chance they get.

Just like we do.

badger
12/2/2010, 12:37 PM
Pic from one of their seven losses:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/09/17/00/slideshow_1001791252_rbz_UT_Baylor_66.jpg

Partial Qualifier
12/2/2010, 12:38 PM
Wow. For that to happen, Mack must've been feeling big pressure from those who sign his paycheck

85sooners
12/2/2010, 12:38 PM
:D

Widescreen
12/2/2010, 12:40 PM
DMN is reporting it's just a rumor. Looks like Ketchum has egg on his face.

sooner518
12/2/2010, 12:41 PM
i dont know whether to be happy or sad that its fake. both scenarios are inherently funny

The
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Review2.jpg

The
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Review3.jpg

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 12:42 PM
Time to see if shaggybevo is blowing up...

AlboSooner
12/2/2010, 12:46 PM
If this is true, he gave in into demands from outside. No way Mack would personally want his best friend to be fired. Maybe he's not the CEO we all thought he was.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2010, 12:48 PM
I hate it that they are getting rid of him in consideration of the next couple of years. Gives us a lot more to have to prepare for. They'll probably elevate Applewhite, or bring in someone who can recruit and install an Oregon-style spread or OU no-huddle. Mack won't stand still, I'm pretty sure.

But, from the Texas perspective, I get it. Long overdue. The guy is about as creative as a shoebox.

His best play has been, "Vince... Colt... if the play breaks down or guys are covered, RUN!"

I have never been one to want to see one of our own coaches get the axe. I have long appreciated both Wilson and Venables, for instance.

The exception: Chuck "third and" Long. He was a bad OC at Iowa (they were elated to see him take another job), and he was a bad OC when elevated at OU. A good QB coach? Absolutely. OC? No way. Check how that worked out for SDSU having him as a head coach.

And I say that feeling that he was a better OC than Davis.

[EDIT: Well, scratch that if it is fake. And that is great news for us if it is, IMO, in relation to the next couple of years and what it looks like we are steamrolling towards. Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.]

melrosebeach
12/2/2010, 12:51 PM
it's not true until shaggybevo reports it.

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 12:54 PM
it's not true until shaggybevo reports it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...28904ea84.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texas/stories/120310dnspotexascoordinator.28904ea84.html)

Report: Texas Longhorns fire offensive coordinator Greg Davis

10:35 AM CST on Thursday, December 2, 2010

From Staff and Wire Reports

Longtime Texas Longhorns offensive coordinator Greg Davis appears to be out, according to a report.

Orangebloods.com owner Geoff Ketchum reported on his Twitter account, citing 'multiple sources,' that Davis will be replaced.

Replacing Davis would be one of the toughest moves of coach Mack Brown's career. The two have coached together for 16 years dating back to their days at Tulane and North Carolina.

Last week, Davis sounded like he expects to remain on the job.

"The thing that coach Brown has done for 13 years is try and build a program, not a team," Davis said this past Thursday. "I think our program has a solid foundation. This was obviously a disappointing season and some of these things are correctable. They are things that we will begin immediately trying to get corrected as we head into the offseason."

But for the first time in nearly 20 years, Texas isn't in a bowl. The Longhorns finished 5-7 and didn't qualify for one. And the offense was a big part.

Minutes after Texas lost to rival Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night, coach Mack Brown said he he'll take a hard look at his assistant coaches, players and staff as he tries to fix what went wrong in the Longhorns' worst season since 1997.

"I have a lot of work to do here," Brown said. "There's no timeframe on it, no timetable."

Quarterback Garrett Gilbert was up and down all season. Colt McCoy's replacement already has almost as many losses (7) as a starter then McCoy (8) did in his four-year career.

Texas expected a seamless transition from McCoy to Gilbert and didn't get it. Gilbert threw nine touchdowns and his 17 interceptions was two shy of the school record.

Brown and Davis have said the quarterback position will be open in the spring for Gilbert to compete with sophomore-to-be Case McCoy and redshirt freshman Connor Wood.

"At this point, it's tough to look back on the entire year," Gilbert said after last week's loss to Texas A&M. "It's about learning from our mistakes and moving forward."

soonerinabilene
12/2/2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, so far Ketch and Chip are the only two reporting it. The same two who reported the big 12 was dead and we were all going to the pac 10, only to then change it to the SEC, only to then change it back to the Big 12. So' he probably got promoted to AD, only to be fired, then rehired as special teams coach.

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 01:34 PM
Classic shaggy:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/SCSnare/gifs/mackclap.gif

CatfishSooner
12/2/2010, 01:39 PM
Classic shaggy:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/SCSnare/gifs/mackclap.gif

:D

BulverdeSooner
12/2/2010, 01:41 PM
Fake, if so, equates to elation.
Nothing lime having the epitome of predictability calling plays.

badger
12/2/2010, 01:57 PM
The mack clap needs to be sped up a little to be accurate.

usaosooner
12/2/2010, 02:10 PM
Going to be a interesting off season for the Horns.. They are going full aggy right now, no one seems to remember/be aware that there issues aren't just OC..

RedstickSooner
12/2/2010, 02:14 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/Review3.jpg

That's mean.

Mean, and... really, really funny.

EatLeadCommie
12/2/2010, 02:18 PM
Didn't Texas switch offensive styles this year at the insistence of Muschamp?

AggieGirl2005
12/2/2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/120310dnspotexascoordinator.28904ea84.html

And already the story is being backtracked...poor 'Horns...they were so excited!

No decision has been made regarding the fate of Texas coordinator Greg Davis, a Texas program source told The Dallas Morning News Thursday.

The source told the Morning News that head coach Mack Brown continues his postseason evaluation regarding the 5-7 disapointment of a season. And, the source emphasized, no calls have been made about who goes, including Davis, Brown’s offensive coordinator at Texas since his arrival in 1998.

Davis has been a survivor. His firing was reported after the 2003 season.

Don’t expect breaking news. No staff announcements are planned today according to the source.

Although wouldn't be surprised if GD was gone.

soonercastor
12/2/2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah the school is denying LINK (http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Texas-responds-to-Davis-report-7299)

The University of Texas is denying a report that “a decision had been made” regarding the future of Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis and he will not be retained in his current role for the 2011 season.

The report did not specify whether Davis would retire, resign or be fired.

Texas sports information director John Bianco wrote in a text that he “Spoke to (Texas coach Mack) Brown earlier and at this point (Brown’s) still in the evaluation process. Nothing has changed and no decisions have been made.”

Bianco also wrote the Longhorns don’t expect to have anything to report today.

Davis has been rumored to be on the hot seat since early this season when the offense struggled to adapt to its new run-oriented philosophy along with new quarterback Garrett Gilbert.

Earlier this week, Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman tweeted that the jobs of only two offensive coaches are considered safe. Those coaches are Major Applewhite and Bruce Chambers.

Tigeman
12/2/2010, 02:23 PM
If/when it does eventually happen, who's TX go after?

My money is on Holgersen or Malzahn.

I don't really want either there, but lets not forget GD has had them in 2 NCG's. So not exactly like the guy is a total idiot. He just can't seem to adjust w/o a running QB, which they don't have right now! But even Malzahn really needs a running QB as well to maximize his offense.

soonercastor
12/2/2010, 02:51 PM
Holgresen -- I don't think he wants to be in the spotlight
malzahn -- gonna be a HC somewhere.

They'll probably make a run at them tho

TXBOOMER
12/2/2010, 03:03 PM
Klappy had to do it. They may be down for a few years now. BAHABAHHAA

picasso
12/2/2010, 03:04 PM
Time to see if shaggybevo is blowing up...

Just don't bring it back here. That place is for degenerate wankers.

WestLakeHillsSooner
12/2/2010, 03:11 PM
I think they should make Malzahn OC and Head-Coach in Waiting too and then have a caged death match between Muschamp and Malzahn on who is going to replace the Seal-clapper. They could sell tickets and the UT athletic department could champion this as another revenue generator for Longhorn athletics.

usaosooner
12/2/2010, 03:21 PM
Skullet at OSU is their primary target.. now we will deal with that in time BUT if it happens wonder about OSU recruiting class.. They could be cherry picked. Sims is already looking around

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 03:28 PM
Just don't bring it back here. That place is for degenerate wankers.
Which is why their meltdowns are particularly entertaining.

I'm not sure how I would actually bring it back here.

SoonerPr8r
12/2/2010, 03:30 PM
Its like a celebration and then immediate meltdown over there. brains may be exploding soon

Quote Originally Posted by American Swindle View Post
friend just got text from ketchum that GD will move to the AD office
this seems to be the real story..

bellmont wont say hes "fired" but they wont say he is the OC either. Is greg davis going to take over for deloss???? ****... then he has the power to hire who ever he wants...

whats worse? GD calling plays? Or GD picking the guy to call the plays?

IndySooner
12/2/2010, 04:00 PM
The exception: Chuck "third and" Long. He was a bad OC at Iowa (they were elated to see him take another job), and he was a bad OC when elevated at OU. A good QB coach? Absolutely. OC? No way. Check how that worked out for SDSU having him as a head coach.

And I say that feeling that he was a better OC than Davis.

Chuck Long was never offensive coordinator at Iowa, nor were they excited to see him go. Those two statements are inherently false.

badger
12/2/2010, 04:08 PM
Brad Banks sucked as Iowa's offensive coordinator too. I'm sure he wasn't that happy to leave though... wasn't even drafted.

Wait, 'offensive coordinator' at Iowa just means 'heisman runner up,' right? :confused:

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 04:12 PM
At Shaggy they are pretty much considering this a done deal.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2010, 04:24 PM
Chuck Long was never offensive coordinator at Iowa, nor were they excited to see him go. Those two statements are inherently false.

You and MikeInNorman are absolutely right about Chuck not being OC at Iowa. He was QB and Special Teams Coord. My error, I apologize.

But I live in Big 10 country too, and have a couple of Iowa alum friends at work. They were both glad to see him go (one of them whose husband was roommates with Bielema, as it happens.) So my sample size is miniscule, but these folks seem to me to know their stuff, so I defer to them on their opinions of how the IA fanbase feels.

Now, were Ferentz or the admin or even players excited to see him go? If he had as good a working relationship with them as he did on Stoop's staff, I would guess not.

But I still thought his offense was painful to watch... bland and utterly predictable. And just adding an edit: It's not like I'm dancing on the man's grave. He got a HC position and is still back to being an OC. I was happy he left, and I'm even more happy with the direction of our offense since. JMO...

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 04:26 PM
You and MikeInNorman are absolutely right about Chuck not being OC at Iowa. He was QB and Special Teams Coord. My error, I apologize.

But I live in Big 10 country too, and have a couple of Iowa alum friends at work ...

At this point you know his argument isn't going to go very well.

picasso
12/2/2010, 04:28 PM
Which is why their meltdowns are particularly entertaining.

I'm not sure how I would actually bring it back here.

Linking it is a start.

There seems to be some strange obsession with some of you guys and that website. It's kinda like a cheap version of a racy cable tv comedy.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2010, 04:31 PM
At this point you know his argument isn't going to go very well.

Wow. I'm honored to be referred to in the third person. It's like I'm a freakin' celebrity or sumfin.

I had that fact wrong. I admit it. Messed up. Sorry. Doesn't change the opinion or those of others.

badger
12/2/2010, 04:36 PM
Did you know that if you put LL on your ignore list, the only time you'll ever have to read his posts ever again is if someone quotes them, but regardless, you'll never have to see that awful avatar again?

(seriously, I could put up with your argumentative posts, but that stupid avatar finally got to me)

NormanPride
12/2/2010, 04:45 PM
You mocked me once for it. Well, maybe not mocked, but you grinned a bit.

I am wise. :D

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 04:53 PM
Amazing how people put me on their ignore list, and then go on and on and on about how they have me on their ignore list. At least they're not sending me tons of spek messages, which is also a habit of those who have me on ignore.

I Am Right
12/2/2010, 04:54 PM
Tell Kevin Wilson of the job opening!

badger
12/2/2010, 05:07 PM
Oh not knowing what LL just posted is killing me... wait, it's not. Still alive, woot woot!

OUEngr1990
12/2/2010, 05:10 PM
horn fans here at work says the rumor is true, but nothing is confirmed yet. They say is just being moved to another position, not being fired. As long as he's not calling plays, horn fans are happy.

Octavian
12/2/2010, 05:11 PM
Davis isn't Bill Walsh, to be sure.

But really his biggest problem is Garret Gilbert. Walsh wouldn't be good with that guy either.

At least Davis has a career-long history of success. Enter GiGi and the whole house implodes.

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 05:22 PM
Oh not knowing what LL just posted is killing me... wait, it's not. Still alive, woot woot!

As I said. :D

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2010, 05:24 PM
Tell Kevin Wilson of the job opening!

I would prefer that UT hire someone who isn't going to set NCAA scoring records, thank you very much.

IndySooner
12/2/2010, 05:30 PM

But I live in Big 10 country too, and have a couple of Iowa alum friends at work. They were both glad to see him go (one of them whose husband was roommates with Bielema, as it happens.) So my sample size is miniscule, but these folks seem to me to know their stuff, so I defer to them on their opinions of how the IA fanbase feels.

Now, were Ferentz or the admin or even players excited to see him go? If he had as good a working relationship with them as he did on Stoop's staff, I would guess not.

But I still thought his offense was painful to watch... bland and utterly predictable. And just adding an edit: It's not like I'm dancing on the man's grave. He got a HC position and is still back to being an OC. I was happy he left, and I'm even more happy with the direction of our offense since. JMO...

My sample size is quite a bit larger than yours, and Chuck Long is still an icon in Iowa. They were sad to see him leave. In fact, many were not happy with Stoops for stealing another Hawkeye alum.

I'm from Iowa, grew up a Hawkeye fan and most of my family consists of Hawkeyes.

VA Sooner
12/2/2010, 05:56 PM
This is a problem.

Wanted them to keep Davis for a while and keep working out the "kinks" in the offense.

Ha!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2010, 06:09 PM
My sample size is quite a bit larger than yours, and Chuck Long is still an icon in Iowa. They were sad to see him leave. In fact, many were not happy with Stoops for stealing another Hawkeye alum.

I'm from Iowa, grew up a Hawkeye fan and most of my family consists of Hawkeyes.

Fair enough.