PDA

View Full Version : FIFA: World Cup sold to highest briber... er BIDDER..

TUSooner
12/2/2010, 11:01 AM
2018 - Russia, the new-old world capital of gangsterism, corruption, and suppression of free speech.

2022- Qatar. WTF? Anti-Western bias plus gobs and gobs of filthy Arab oil money wins the day.

FIFA suuuuuuucks in every possible way.

Actually, England should consider itself lucky for not having the pleasure of a massive corrupt foreign-controlled boondoggle in its green and pleasant land.

The USA could do a better job than any other nation with a big production like the WC, but I don't think that's what FIFA wants.

jumperstop
12/2/2010, 11:09 AM
I think maybe the fact that nobody here gives a **** about soccer is why they didn't chose the USA.

tommieharris91
12/2/2010, 11:36 AM
FIFA picked a dry country to host a World Cup. I bet some sponsors are going to be happy with that.

TUSooner
12/2/2010, 11:52 AM
I think maybe the fact that nobody here gives a **** about soccer is why they didn't chose the USA.

Define "nobody". :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure the total number of fans in the USA -- or just in NY, TX, FL, CA or any of several states -- vastly exceeds the total number of fans in Qatar.

But it's true that the USA is not considere a soccer country because we have so much more. I'll say this, FIFA is making me less a fan of the internatinal game every year or 4. Sepp Blatter is a FPOMF.

tommieharris91
12/2/2010, 01:29 PM

I'm quite sure the total number of fans in the USA -- or just in NY, TX, FL, CA or any of several states -- vastly exceeds the total number of fans in Qatar.

But it's true that the USA is not considere a soccer country because we have so much more. I'll say this, FIFA is making me less a fan of the internatinal game every year or 4. Sepp Blatter is a FPOMF.

Hell, you can find more soccer fans in OK than people in Qatar.

yankee
12/2/2010, 03:19 PM
Absolute freaking joke. F' FIFA.

yankee
12/2/2010, 03:22 PM
this seriously pisses me off. what a great freaking idea...let's host a World Cup in the middle of the desert, in the middle of a politically unstable region, in a country with ONE major city.

silverwheels
12/2/2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Russia is not a great choice, but Qatar is the far worse decision. 115-degree heat every day and probably at least 1/2 a million people crammed into 19 square miles. Sounds awesome.

However, this gives the USA an incredibly good shot at 2026. If the rotation policy is still in place by the vote in 6-8 years, our competition would be South America (poor), Africa (poor), and maybe Mexico (poor).

Still, **** you, FIFA. You're the ****tiest organization in the world this side of the NCAA.

NormanPride
12/2/2010, 04:44 PM
Everyone hates FIFA. Why do people pay attention to it?

jumperstop
12/2/2010, 04:46 PM

I like soccer every once and awhile. I'll try and catch an MLS game whenever they're on and enjoy watching the World Cup, but for the most part people here don't like soccer. Not saying it's a better choice to play in Qatar than here but at the same time their country as a whole is probably more interested. And the World Cup is kinda like the Olympics these days, they have to choose a place that has been unfairly represented to show how fair they are being to all the countries.

silverwheels
12/2/2010, 05:17 PM
Just because Qatar is not the U.S. it doesn't mean that they're more interested. Qatar's national team is ranked like 113th right now. They will be by far the worst host ever. So stupid.

jumperstop
12/2/2010, 05:59 PM
Just because Qatar is not the U.S. it doesn't mean that they're more interested. Qatar's national team is ranked like 113th right now. They will be by far the worst host ever. So stupid.

Again not a great host country probably, but I would say that the percentage of people in the country who call themselves soccer fans is a lot greater than America.

silverwheels
12/2/2010, 06:30 PM
But going by sheer numbers the USA has more people who call themselves soccer fans. The only reason FIFA chose Qatar over the U.S. (or the other Asian countries, for that matter) is because the Middle East has never hosted a World Cup before, which is a really stupid reason to pick a country.

tommieharris91
12/2/2010, 08:27 PM
But going by sheer numbers the USA has more people who call themselves soccer fans. The only reason FIFA chose Qatar over the U.S. (or the other Asian countries, for that matter) is because the Middle East has never hosted a World Cup before, which is a really stupid reason to pick a country.

http://www.heatingoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/golden-oil-barrel.jpg
The real reason why these hosts were picked.

silverwheels
12/2/2010, 10:05 PM
But like I said, this gives the U.S. an extremely good shot at 2026 considering that they will have very weak competition, so it's not the most terrible thing. I may be more mad that Russia beat out England, but then again, England has not been popular around FIFA for a while now.

GottaHavePride
12/2/2010, 10:11 PM
I blame Wayne Rooney.

soonercruiser
12/3/2010, 09:02 PM
Gee, I though BHO had make soooo many friends overseas.
And, he even sent Bill Clinton over there to lobby??
After all, Billy is such an expert at "sock-her"!

GottaHavePride
12/3/2010, 09:11 PM
I've read a couple of reports that the US had by FAR the best financial proposal and existing infrastructure to handle a world cup, and the final vote was down to us and Qatar.

And the vote went 14-8 to Qatar.

silverwheels
12/3/2010, 09:13 PM
It does seem weird that FIFA skipped over what would have most likely been a record-setting tournament in terms of fans (again) and revenue (again) just to say they've held a tournament in the Middle East now.

Scott D
12/3/2010, 11:30 PM
I found that I didn't care. I didn't think we'd get 2022 for the simple reason that Brazil has 2014.