PDA

View Full Version : WAYNEPAYNE!!!! Top Chef All Stars starts tonight!!!

Pages : [1] 2

soonerchk
12/1/2010, 06:58 PM
I hope the snotty wine guy from season 1 goes first.

usaosooner
12/1/2010, 08:06 PM
IN!

waynepayne
12/1/2010, 08:40 PM
chk this is a true story.

I just drove home from class as fast as Norman PD will allow and I was thinking that chk better have a Top Chef All Stars thread going!!!!

YOU ROCK and I agree, the sommelier dude is a one trick pony - gotta go!

soonerchk
12/1/2010, 08:53 PM
It's nice that all of us garbage posters still have a place to discuss our trashy tv. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2010, 09:26 PM
No spoilers for us on the West Coast.

waynepayne
12/1/2010, 10:15 PM
and of course the Thunder just go to a 3rd OT! Gah!

soonerchk
12/1/2010, 10:16 PM
Is it a spoiler if I tell you Marcel still has dumb hair and several people seem fat?

waynepayne
12/1/2010, 11:20 PM
Well I think the best part of that whole episode may have been the upcoming season snippets at the end!

I have those that I hope will win and I think have the talent to do so

Jen Carroll
Richard Blaise

and then I have those I just heart!

Tiffany D
Carla
Casey
Dale

SanJoaquinSooner
12/2/2010, 01:33 AM
1. Fabio laid into Bourdain and Bourdain actually looked a bit sheepish about it. I'm glad Fabio's not going home, even if he had the worst looking dish.

2. I don't understand a seasoned chef - in a competition no less - not testing the doneness of the fish. She deserved to go home, although I would have liked her to stay in the mix a while longer, for her quirky personality mix.

3. I know I was one of the very few who rooted for Angelo last season. I just love his passion and he's obviously got some talent. I'm happy he won.

4. I don't care that she's 100% lesbian to the bone with the god-awful tattoos, I'd eat Jamie's scallops in a San Fransico minute. She's got the vibes.

5. There are so many chefs I've really liked, it's going to be painful to watch one fall each week.

waynepayne
12/2/2010, 08:49 AM
1. Fabio laid into Bourdain and Bourdain actually looked a bit sheepish about it. I'm glad Fabio's not going home, even if he had the worst looking dish.

2. I don't understand a seasoned chef - in a competition no less - not testing the doneness of the fish. She deserved to go home, although I would have liked her to stay in the mix a while longer, for her quirky personality mix.
3. I know I was one of the very few who rooted for Angelo last season. I just love his passion and he's obviously got some talent. I'm happy he won.

4. I don't care that she's 100% lesbian to the bone with the god-awful tattoos, I'd eat Jamie's scallops in a San Fransico minute. She's got the vibes.

5. There are so many chefs I've really liked, it's going to be painful to watch one fall each week.

agreed.

I also liked seeing in this episode and in the season snippets that the chefs are giving the judges some push back! As Gail said in her blog, they know how the game works and are not going home without a serious battle.

all that being said Stephen needs to go! That man probably hasnt picked up a spatula since Season 1.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/2/2010, 09:45 AM
agreed.

I also liked seeing in this episode and in the season snippets that the chefs are giving the judges some push back! As Gail said in her blog, they know how the game works and are not going home without a serious battle.

all that being said Stephen needs to go! That man probably hasnt picked up a spatula since Season 1.

Yeah, he can go. I didn't watch Season 1 so I have no emotional attachment. Last night, though, his dish appeared more undistinguished than simply bad.

soonerchk
12/2/2010, 10:21 AM
I thought going in that Stephen, Fabio (even though I love him) and Elia were probably the weakest of the group. I feel justified.

Of the group, probably the only ones I don't like are Spike, Marcel and Tiffani F. Not much of an Angelo, Antonia, or Casey fan, but I don't particularly dislike them either. Favorites are still Tre, Jen, Blais, and Dale T. I don't know why, but I dig him.

Haven't read the recap yet, so I have no comment, but here it is:http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/top-chef-all-stars-season-8-episode-1/

TUSooner
12/2/2010, 11:06 AM

Jamie is really cute in person, too. But I was in love with Elia. Too bad I won't get to see her killer eyes and curly hair in the weeks to come.

I never watch reality TV, but I kinda have to watch this one since I'm in a Top Chef Fantasy league. Yeah, really.

The
12/2/2010, 11:11 AM
I never watch reality TV, but I kinda have to watch this one since I'm in a Top Chef Fantasy league. Yeah, really.

http://angrymonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sethrogan.jpg

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 11:14 AM
It is going to be intense.

The
12/2/2010, 11:17 AM
It is going to be intense.

You're in tents.

soonerchk
12/2/2010, 11:19 AM
Okay, I freaking loved the challenges. Making them fix the dish that got them sent home was GENIUS! Of course, Stephen had never cooked it in the first place, so of course he choked it. I really hope he's not going to be joining the long list of contestants who slide far into the competition because they just barely suck less than someone else every week.

3rdgensooner
12/2/2010, 11:21 AM
You're in tents.Yes, so?

Of course, Stephen had never cooked it in the first place, so of course he choked it. I really hope he's not going to be joining the long list of contestants who slide far into the competition because they just barely suck less than someone else every week.

He is reminiscent of a character you'd see on Criminal Minds--there's a dark secret hiding in his closet.

soonerchk
12/2/2010, 11:32 AM
He is reminiscent of a character you'd see on Criminal Minds--there's a dark secret hiding in his closet.

I think it's hiding in that bigass tie he wears.

waynepayne
12/2/2010, 01:31 PM
Okay, I freaking loved the challenges. Making them fix the dish that got them sent home was GENIUS! Of course, Stephen had never cooked it in the first place, so of course he choked it. I really hope he's not going to be joining the long list of contestants who slide far into the competition because they just barely suck less than someone else every week.

this was in fact sheer brilliance and some of the upcoming challenges look terrific.

decent recap

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/02/top-chef-all-stars-recap-divas-and-do-overs

TUSooner
12/2/2010, 01:52 PM

That was brilliant indeed. I think this allstar deal is great idea all around. Agree re Stephen, too.

Oh by the way - I have noticed a discalimer, at least for the past couple of seasons, saying that the winners are chosen by the judges "after consulation with the producers" or something like that. That is a clear admission that who stays and who goes is NOT based only on the food.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/3/2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs

Tom, Anthony, and Gail's blogs are good reads. I didn't read the other blogs.

diegosooner
12/3/2010, 10:57 AM
In their blogs the judges talked about these chefs more likely to argue and defend their dishes in front of the judges.

I just hope it doesn't disintegrate into a Jimmy Conners/John McEnroe style ranting at the judges.

Tom referred to Bourdain's comments as "hyperbole."

I now forgot who wrote it, but their was speculation that Tre was the one who informed the judges on Richard's working past the time limit.

I don't for a minute think Tre is a rat for doing so. In most every sporting competition, one points out to the ref/ump/judge a foul by one's opponent without being considered "a rat."

soonerchk
12/3/2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs

Tom, Anthony, and Gail's blogs are good reads. I didn't read the other blogs.

Gail is also blogging for EWonline, which is where I got the recap. Tom and Tony are always good reads. My only problem with Tom's blog is that he is usually soooo slow getting it posted that I've forgotten what had me all interested in the first place.

That was brilliant indeed. I think this allstar deal is great idea all around. Agree re Stephen, too.

Oh by the way - I have noticed a discalimer, at least for the past couple of seasons, saying that the winners are chosen by the judges "after consulation with the producers" or something like that. That is a clear admission that who stays and who goes is NOT based only on the food.

Meh, not so sure how concerned I am about that. No way would Tom or Tony be involved if someone else was telling them how to vote.

In their blogs the judges talked about these chefs more likely to argue and defend their dishes in front of the judges.

I just hope it doesn't disintegrate into a Jimmy Conners/John McEnroe style ranting at the judges.

Tom referred to Bourdain's comments as "hyperbole."

I now forgot who wrote it, but their was speculation that Tre was the one who informed the judges on Richard's working past the time limit.

I don't for a minute think Tre is a rat for doing so. In most every sporting competition, one points out to the ref/ump/judge a foul by one's opponent without being considered "a rat."

Well, I'm sure they'll edit in the most dramatic stuff. And no Tre or whoever complained is not a rat, because he DID go over. It wasn't even questionable as we all saw. Blais is my all time fave, but he screwed up. Bet he won't do it again.

TUSooner
12/3/2010, 01:09 PM
chk -
I'm not a conspiracy freak. No, indeed. I wouldn't say any judge could be "told how to vote" or that any of them would ever vote against their clear preferences. But I do think in a very close situation, the producers offer their TV-oriented views and that those views have some persuasive effect. I suspect (but merely suspect) this happens when there are three bad ones on the chopping block and the producers suggest who might help the show by getting a reprieve. If there is NO influence at all by non-judges, then why the disclaimer?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/8/2010, 09:32 AM
I pretty much dismissed Spike, Michael, and Antonia when I first heard the lineup. They were never my favorites anyway.

But in the first week, it was mentioned that since their first appearences they have gained invaluable experiences as top dog chefs. They still aren't my favorites, but I'll have an open mind about them as this season unfolds.

I asked for no spoilers last week, being on the west coast, but I'll just stay off the thread this evening until I watch it. Don't want to inhibit discussion.

waynepayne
12/8/2010, 11:19 PM
I have LOTS to say!!

Grrrrrrr this time difference.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/9/2010, 09:45 AM
1. Sorry to see Jen go as she was one of my favorites during her season. But her rant was overboard. She was a longshot to win, but I thought she could go deep into the season.

2. I don't enjoy challenges based on pleasing kids' palates. Just give them a bowl of cereal and move on if they don't like good food.

3. I don't get the macho attitude of chefs about taping up an injury and moving on. Their hands are pretty valuable tools in their profession. I'd think you would do whatever is necessary to treat them properly when injured.

3rdgensooner
12/9/2010, 10:28 AM
1. Sorry to see Jen go as she was one of my favorites during her season. But her rant was overboard. She was a longshot to win, but I thought she could go deep into the season.

2. I don't enjoy challenges based on pleasing kids' palates. Just give them a bowl of cereal and move on if they don't like good food.

3. I don't get the macho attitude of chefs about taping up an injury and moving on. Their hands are pretty valuable tools in their profession. I'd think you would do whatever is necessary to treat properly them when injured.
Jen kind of lost it. It was over the top given the situation. I would have figured her to go further, but apparently she's a stress ball.

I agree about the kid challenges.

Chefs are typically arrogant and unforgiving. It didn't surprise me at all that they were giving Jamie a hard time.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/9/2010, 10:56 AM
I thought Tre may be the one who was sent home. Clearly he has talent, but he's so nonchalant about his mistakes.

olevetonahill
12/9/2010, 11:01 AM
Is this some kinda soap opera carp? Ya know
Guiding soup er some shat?

diegosooner
12/9/2010, 12:01 PM
Is this some kinda soap opera carp? Ya know
Guiding soup er some shat?

I always heard to cook carp you need a pressure cooker and applewood.

diegosooner
12/9/2010, 12:03 PM
I agree with San Joaquin Sooner and 3G. No more kids.

3rdgensooner
12/9/2010, 04:32 PM
All in the Game (http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs/anthony-bourdain/all-in-the-game?page=0,0)

Anthony Bourdain comments on this week's challenge, Jennifer's elimination, and Elia's public comments about Tom Colicchio

waynepayne
12/9/2010, 05:07 PM
All in the Game (http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs/anthony-bourdain/all-in-the-game?page=0,0)

Anthony Bourdain comments on this week's challenge, Jennifer's elimination, and Elia's public comments about Tom Colicchio

That was good stuff, I hadnt seen Jen's exit interview and wow she took that hard. I still think it was horse apples Jamie took off for two stitches...Like Dale said, put some duct tape around it and get to work.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/9/2010, 10:17 PM
Jamie elimination scenario:

All others do a reasonable competent job then she gets to boot, since 0 < positive.

But negative < 0.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/9/2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/videos/nightmare-at-the-museum

Now she starts showing that glorious cleavage! Damn!

knxsnr
12/10/2010, 08:40 AM
Wow who knew...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/10/2010, 09:21 AM
After reading Tom C.'s blog it became clear that Jen knew she executed a bad dish and resorted to a confrontional approach to try to save her own ***. Perhaps she was thinking, "it worked for Fabio in the last challenge, so maybe it will work for me."

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 12:58 PM
Finally got to see this, and WOW!! Jen, seriously. The judges said it wasn't good, so don't tell them it turned out exactly the way you wanted it to and they are wrong. If she had shut up and admitted that it's possible it was bland, Tre or one of the frittata people would have gone. With her just insisting it was fine, they had to question her judgement so she suddenly became the obvious choice. Bad move on her part.

Okay, question for those of you who have been watching since the start - has Tiffany F really changed or is she faking and we'll see her old b!tch self? I don't hate her yet and that scares me.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/12/2010, 01:20 PM
Okay, question for those of you who have been watching since the start - has Tiffany F really changed or is she faking and we'll see her old b!tch self? I don't hate her yet and that scares me.

I think we give everyone a clean slate. Don't assume she's a bitch until she is shown as such in this season. Most were youngsters when they first appeared and may have matured.

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 01:31 PM
I think we give everyone a clean slate. Don't assume she's a bitch until she is shown as such in this season. Most were youngsters when they first appeared and may have matured.

I think she's faking it. I saw her on one of the holiday specials and she was still a bitch.

waynepayne
12/12/2010, 02:12 PM
I think she's faking it. I saw her on one of the holiday specials and she was still a bitch.

this.

With Tiffany it isnt about being young she is really an ******* through and through and shes trying to hide because she thinks it hurt her chances last time around.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/12/2010, 02:47 PM
this.

With Tiffany it isnt about being young she is really an ******* through and through and shes trying to hide because she thinks it hurt her chances last time around.

Seven letters. Starts with a vowel sound. a$$hole?

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 03:35 PM
Seven letters. Starts with a vowel sound. a$$hole?

a$$wipe? Gotta start with an a, and it's too short to be a$$hat.

waynepayne
12/12/2010, 05:23 PM
a$$wipe? Gotta start with an a, and it's too short to be a$$hat.

I got dinged for calling someone a seven letter word that starts with a vowel and ends with a vowel so I am just being cautious :D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/12/2010, 05:44 PM
Lisa Fernandes from Season 4 was the only one who really got under my skin.

Lots of others have had flaws, but they really didn't bother me. For example Asian Dale was occasionally a temper-tantrum jerk but I don't hate him.

waynepayne
12/12/2010, 05:48 PM

Lots of others have had flaws, but they really didn't bother me. For example Asian Dale was occasionally a temper-tantrum jerk but I don't hate him.

She was sooooo obnoxious!

From an interview with her

You've been watching the show and following some of the stuff online?
Oh no, I don't read the blogs – you couldn't pay me to read the blogs. I don't want to know what people who can't even afford to eat in my restaurant, let alone know how to cook have to say about me, and the few comments I did read on Eater.com (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Eater.com) a few weeks back because my job asked me to read 'em. The best they could come up with was that I was ugly.

I could come up with a lot more than ugly Lisa.

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 06:47 PM

Ooh, I hate her!!! And yet I love Dale T. Probably because he just yells and throws stuff and is over it, but you know Lisa still holds a grudge.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/15/2010, 08:42 PM
Quickfire bump

Tony
12/15/2010, 09:33 PM

What does that even mean, soonerchk? Isn't being pleasant when one doesn't feel like it the very definition of not being a jerk?

In any event, she seems genuine to me.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/16/2010, 01:54 AM
I hope the snotty wine guy from season 1 goes first.

well not first, but he went soon enough I guess.

Sorry to see Gay Dale go.

It appeared Jamie gets a cut again in the previews for next week. Bet she doesn't leave for stitches though.

Early on, one strategy may be similar to that of playing in a poker tournament. The objective is to hang around until you're in the money. If that means don't take risks and stay in the middle of the pack, then that may be the way to go. When the number of contestants shrink, you can't depend on someone else having a bad day. With a large number, you probably can.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/16/2010, 02:02 AM
That little 30 minute tag along show right after top chef kinda sucked.

I don't want to see tom c. as a regular dude.

waynepayne
12/16/2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah I was sorry to see Dale go but I will never be a big enough foodie to think popcorn on a plate is clever.

Stephen was just clutter and I have no opinion one way or another on him besides his excessively broad lapels. pffft!

I heart heart heart Tiffany for her sentiments on Angelo's gift of gab. GAH he would drive my bat ****e crazy!!!

soonerchk
12/16/2010, 10:40 AM
I've always hated Stephen and his ties. He's not a chef, he's a manager. The world needs those but not on Top Chef.

Bummed to see Dale go, but once the judges said his food tasted bad, you knew he was a goner. I do like Angry Dale, so I was happy to see him win. I was surprised and pleased to see Tre beat Richard. And am I the only one who found the kinder gentler Tony Bourdain a little scary? I swear, being a dad has mellowed him to an almost unrecognizable state.

3rdgensooner
12/16/2010, 10:50 AM
I heart heart heart Tiffany for her sentiments on Angelo's gift of gab. GAH he would drive my bat ****e crazy!!!
I would have told him to shut up so I can hear myself think.

soonerchk
12/16/2010, 10:57 AM
That little 30 minute tag along show right after top chef kinda sucked.

I don't want to see tom c. as a regular dude.

WTF was up with his scarf?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2010, 09:58 PM
Preheat the oven. The west coast is getting the feed the same time as those in the heartland.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 10:22 PM
I got dinged for calling someone a seven letter word that starts with a vowel and ends with a vowel so I am just being cautious :D

It just depends on who it is you say it too. :D

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 10:25 PM
Watched Iron Chef the other night Charleston based Chef Sean Brock had to use some sort of Pork product in the meal. One guy did something with apples and nitrogen in a blender and maltrodextrine or something. It was freaky to watch him make it but it wowed the judges.

Malto D.= High fructose corn syrup
http://www.fooducate.com/blog/wp-content/media/Maltodextrin.jpg

waynepayne
12/22/2010, 10:56 PM
Was Jamie this much of a snake on her season? I forget...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2010, 11:14 PM
Was Jamie this much of a snake on her season? I forget...

I don't think so, but it's clear many are there to play the game. I don't understand, though, why so often it happens that the chefs choose a menu that needs more time than they are given. It happened to Jamie this week, but it's happens numerous times before.

Tony
12/22/2010, 11:17 PM
CARLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Hootie Hoo!

3rdgensooner
12/22/2010, 11:17 PM
They need to tell Angelo to stay the eff away from their food.

And yes, Jamie needs to actually cook something.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:19 PM
I finally found the show. Bravo me.

Fabio...."Everything es in da mixskewer"....lol

Tony
12/22/2010, 11:19 PM
Also where the eff was Bourdain? This is the second episode he has missed this year. Unacceptable!

3rdgensooner
12/22/2010, 11:20 PM
CARLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Hootie Hoo!She denied the team's advice and won--with a severed finger and all. Good for her!

waynepayne
They need to tell Angelo to stay the eff away from their food.

And yes, Jamie needs to actually cook something.

Amen and AMEN!

And Carla is a hoot!! :D

Next weeks episode looks stellar - "caucasian dim sum" muahahahaha!

StoopTroup
HOLY MACKERAL!

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:22 PM
That Chef has Dean head.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:23 PM
You go Carla! You got nine more baby! No reason to stop now!

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2010, 11:27 PM
The editors came close giving Carla's victory away. It was easy to predict.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2010, 11:39 PM
Also,

I'm not a fan of elimination challenges that are team competitions when the quickfire challenge winner has immunity. As they said, Tre mailed it in, so his team is at a disadvantage.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:52 PM
Man these judges act like everyone tried to poison them....lol

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:59 PM
Damn...Wolverine got screwed

waynepayne
12/23/2010, 09:18 AM
Also,

I'm not a fan of elimination challenges that are team competitions when the quickfire challenge winner has immunity. As they said, Tre mailed it in, so his team is at a disadvantage.

I personally dont think Tre mailed it in, I think someone else (cough cough) cooked his fish for him which was the judges biggest critique of his dish.

and looks like someone else feels the same way I do.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/chefs/top-chef-all-stars-episode-4.html

ouleaf
12/23/2010, 10:28 AM
A little late to the party, but a huge Top Chef fan and finally caught up on this season last night. Definitely brought back some heavy hitters in Blais, Jen Carroll, and Angelo. They are all amazingly talented though. Would be so awesome to taste their food.

Upset that Jen and Elia left so early. Think Fabio should have been gone a long time ago. Favs have to be Tre, Dale T, Blais, Tiffany D, and Antonia. Angelo is a real threat though and even though he should let people cook their own dish, he is an amazing talent.

Feel bad for Stephen Asprino and thought it was commendable that he recognized that he simply wasn't up to par with the rest of the competition. His professional focus has not been soley in the kitchen for quite some time now.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2010, 04:06 PM
Bourdain is a great read this week.

Why didn't the Shakespearean twist occur to me?

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs/anthony-bourdain/shot-with-his-own-gun-aka-the-best-laid-plans?page=0,0

soonerchk
12/24/2010, 04:42 PM
If Tre has immunity, then why even have him compete in a one on one challenge? He wouldn't go home no matter what, so why not force Jamie to cook? They could have just yelled that she was up next and when she hid under the table, the the judges decide what to do with her.

Never did really like Spike much, mostly because it's never ever his fault. I never really liked Jamie in her season, but that was mostly because of her attitude and that she made scallops or soup every freaking challenge.

HA!! Per Tom C.'s blog:

As for our “match”: Once again, I have to address Jamie and her lack of contribution to the challenge. Having seen the whole episode, I recognize that she agreed the night before to the team’s decision to put the weakest dish out first … and then balked and simply refused to put her food out. But the rest of the team should have said to her, “Jamie, that was the decision. You’re going out.” And when we called for them to say whose dish was up first, they should simply have called back, “Jamie’s.” End of story. She would have had to abide by the group’s decision … and perhaps the results would have been different. But the team didn’t do that, and they have to reconcile themselves to their role in that.

soonerchk
1/6/2011, 11:50 AM
Well? Anyone surprised? I wasn't, they said it was terrible. At least they got Jamie to actually cook something and OF COURSE it was scallops!!

Sooner11JK
1/6/2011, 12:07 PM
Well? Anyone surprised? I wasn't, they said it was terrible. At least they got Jamie to actually cook something and OF COURSE it was scallops!!

I was a little surprised when Casey's name was called but once I processed it a bit, I understood and agreed.

She was sent home, as so many others have been, as much for poor decision making, as for bad food.

Her decision to walk the plank of the chicken feet was bad. Worse was her decision to leave it in someone else's hands to prepare.

While most, to include myself, thought it was Jamie's turn to go home, Casey's night was deserved of getting the axe.

On a bright note, we got to hear what has to be the greatest line in the history of the show again last night, "this is Top Chef, not Top Scallop!"
Absolute greatness.

soonerchk
1/6/2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, when they said her food was terrible, she was done. And while I do love the Top Scallop line, I think it would be fair this season to remind Fabio that it's not Top Gnocci either.

3rdgensooner
1/6/2011, 12:16 PM
Fabio's turtle on a leash was pretty funny.

soonerchk
1/6/2011, 12:17 PM

Especially when he called her a princess.

diegosooner
1/6/2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the chicken feet choice, unless you have experience doing chicken feet. It may make sense to take a big risk on a quickfire, but not an elimination challenge.

It's like a poker tournament: Early on, your objective is not to win, but to survive ... hang around until the final table. No reason to take big risks when there are lots of contestants still in the mix.

soonerchk
1/6/2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the chicken feet choice, unless you have experience doing chicken feet. It may make sense to take a big risk on a quickfire, but not an elimination challenge.

It's like a poker tournament: Early on, your objective is not to win, but to survive ... hang around until the final table. No reason to take big risks when there are lots of contestants still in the mix.

Not only that, but to then let someone else cook it for you!! The most interesting thing to me was that Casey was blaming Antonia for the failure, but Susur said chicken feet had to be fried a long time, and that's exactly what Antonia was doing. Casey was the one cooking them incorrectly, so she totally deserved to go.

waynepayne
1/6/2011, 03:14 PM

the look on his face was priceless!

definitely my favorite part of the night was him telling that story. :)

I am so done done done with Jamie, I just cant almost stand to even look at her!

:mad:

soonerchk
1/6/2011, 03:31 PM
Recap and just another reminder that Angry Dale is still one of my favorites ever:http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/top-chef-season-8-episode-5/

Tony
1/6/2011, 04:21 PM

Someone needs to give that guy his own show.

I very much endorse every word of this from today's Bourdain blog:

Of the carnage and recriminations, the filth and the fury that followed, I will speak little. Antonia, once again, became the repository for all the world's sins, left, it appeared, to cook nearly everything single handed. What a Trojan! She's like John Shaft -- always willing to help her brotherman, demonstrating a generosity of spirit that nearly doomed her. Had her own shrimp toast not been delicious, it might well have been her head on the block. For much of the show -- whether because of the edit or not, it looked like she was the only person moving in a kitchen full of stunned carp. As at the aftermath of a violent bar fight, the others present creeped slowly and stealthily away from the horror, unwilling to get blood or hair on their shoes. But she hung in. And at Judges' Table, when confronted about her central role in this greatest of face-plants, she stood up under brutal interrogation like a hard case career con refusing to put the much guiltier Casey in the soup. She made Sammy the Bull Gravano and Whitey Bulger look like punks. In the same situation, I suspect, the guys would have been jostling each other to drop a dime on each other.

soonerchk
1/7/2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, how does Fabio not have a show yet?

ouleaf
1/7/2011, 02:07 PM
Very cool quickfire this week I thought. Awesome to see Colicchio cook for once. To go from nothing to completed dish in 8 1/2 mins was insane.

Definitely sad to see Casey go....she was quite easy on the eyes. I have to question her chicken feet choice though. Even if you cook them well, how many people are really going to want to eat them? I think it would have been a bad dish even if it was her cooking it and not Antonia. In the end she deserved to go.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Jamie went back to scallops.

soonerchk
1/7/2011, 02:17 PM
Chicken feet for Chinese people is like Chicken fry for us. If you're going to make it, you better do it right or you're doomed. That was where Casey screwed up.

Sooner11JK
1/12/2011, 09:41 PM
Bump. It's Wednesday! t-minus 19 minutes and counting! Double elimination tonight.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/12/2011, 10:00 PM
let's rock and roll....

SanJoaquinSooner
1/12/2011, 11:16 PM
Ok, all you Jamie haters -- you got what you wanted!

well ....

http://i31.tinypic.com/dwqowh.jpg

Sooner11JK
1/12/2011, 11:43 PM
I was sure we were going to see Blais or Marcel go tonight in one of those shockers. Couldn't believe it when the two girls went.

Side item:

Wife and I took a week long trip to Central California a year ago. When we travel, most of what we do is eat, and eat well. No messing around. We eat local and have a great time. Money is no issue when it comes to the food. We eat street food if the place is known for it. We got to meet Hubert Keller in one of his restaurants. Pretty cool. So for Valentine's Day we wanted to eat somewhere cool. We planned on doing dessert at Elizabeth Faulkners spot and our dinner was at Absinthe Brasserie (the restaurant where Jamie is the executive chef). We were kind of hoping to sit there most of the night and when things wound down Jamie might come out into the dining area. It was one of the best meals I've ever had food-wise. Service was the ABSOLUTE worst I've ever experienced. I finally had to get up and get the maitre di just do get our check. I couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted the check so that I could leave a big fat donut hole for a tip. We got unbelievably ignored. Our waiter spent the entire time chatting it up with one table (a 4 top). I never got a second glass of wine, after the one I got at the bar while we waited for seating. Ordered two appetizers, didn't get one of them. A different waiter dropped off dessert menus. When we saw the dessert menu, we decided to have dessert there. Then nobody ever came to take our dessert order. It was a nightmare. We ended up getting the meal comped. I objected because, as previously mentioned, everything we did get to eat was absolutely fabulous. We never mentioned to anyone that Jamie was why we went there. I contemplated sending her an email, or writing a review but never did it. I'd be willing to bet that the waiter got the heave ho that night too. So anyway, it took so long that by the time we got to Citizen Cake for dessert, everything was gone.

Bottom line, Jamie can cook. But the front of the house at Absinthe Brasserie (namely our waiter) ruined what had the makings of a very special night for us.

Breadburner
1/13/2011, 03:02 AM
Casey's rack is outstanding...!!!!

soonerchk
1/13/2011, 11:14 AM
I was sure we were going to see Blais or Marcel go tonight in one of those shockers. Couldn't believe it when the two girls went.

As soon as they said Tiffany's food was crap, I knew she was gone, and I thought there was a decent chance Jamie would also go since it was a team challenge. Can't say I wasn't worrying about my boy Blais, though.

And how funny was it when Dale mentioned that he'd gone through anger management? Suddenly so much made sense! I do miss Angry Dale a little, but now more people besides me can realize what a funny mofo he is. Angelo as a mermaid?!?!?! HILARIPUS!!!

3rdgensooner
1/13/2011, 11:23 AM
And how funny was it when Dale mentioned that he'd gone through anger management? Suddenly so much made sense! I do miss Angry Dale a little, but now more people besides me can realize what a funny mofo he is. Angelo as a mermaid?!?!?! HILARIPUS!!!
Siren of the Sea!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/13/2011, 09:23 PM

Side item:

Wife and I took a week long trip to Central California a year ago. When we travel, most of what we do is eat, and eat well. No messing around. We eat local and have a great time. Money is no issue when it comes to the food. We eat street food if the place is known for it. We got to meet Hubert Keller in one of his restaurants. Pretty cool. So for Valentine's Day we wanted to eat somewhere cool. We planned on doing dessert at Elizabeth Faulkners spot and our dinner was at Absinthe Brasserie (the restaurant where Jamie is the executive chef). We were kind of hoping to sit there most of the night and when things wound down Jamie might come out into the dining area. It was one of the best meals I've ever had food-wise. Service was the ABSOLUTE worst I've ever experienced. I finally had to get up and get the maitre di just do get our check. I couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted the check so that I could leave a big fat donut hole for a tip. We got unbelievably ignored. Our waiter spent the entire time chatting it up with one table (a 4 top). I never got a second glass of wine, after the one I got at the bar while we waited for seating. Ordered two appetizers, didn't get one of them. A different waiter dropped off dessert menus. When we saw the dessert menu, we decided to have dessert there. Then nobody ever came to take our dessert order. It was a nightmare. We ended up getting the meal comped. I objected because, as previously mentioned, everything we did get to eat was absolutely fabulous. We never mentioned to anyone that Jamie was why we went there. I contemplated sending her an email, or writing a review but never did it. I'd be willing to bet that the waiter got the heave ho that night too. So anyway, it took so long that by the time we got to Citizen Cake for dessert, everything was gone.

Bottom line, Jamie can cook. But the front of the house at Absinthe Brasserie (namely our waiter) ruined what had the makings of a very special night for us.

It is my understanding that Jamie is now the executive chef at Beechwood in Venice CA. http://www.beechwoodrestaurant.com/press.php

Sooner11JK
1/13/2011, 09:55 PM
It is my understanding that Jamie is now the executive chef at Beechwood in Venice CA. http://www.beechwoodrestaurant.com/press.php

Well that place should be great as long as that waiter didn't follow her there.;)

ouleaf
1/14/2011, 09:59 AM
Pretty solid episode overall. I wonder what would have happened if one team had only caught 1 or 2 fish. It's not really fair to them if the fish just aren't biting that day. Seems like they all came out well in the end with plenty to serve. Thought Dale and Antonia had great ideas and well execute, simple dishes that were perfect for that setting. Was surprised that Carla won to be quite honest. She definitely knew a lot about that Blue Fish she was cooking though.

I think this week's elimination decision might have had a little more producer's influence behind it. Blais and Marcel are probably better cooks than Tiffany or Jamie, but having them on the show also makes for better TV b/c of their personalities. I definitely think the judges let a bad dish slide this week. Probably thought at least 1 person from each team should have gone.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 11:34 AM
I don't think the producers had much to do with it, at least based on Gail's blog: http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/13/gail-simmons-top-chef-episode-6-blog/

Why Carla beat Dale:

In the end, though, Carla showed us something really different. She put a spin on it that was really creative. As much as Dale’s was great, we’ve all had a fresh, simple fish taco before. Carla not only used a blue fish — another one of those fishes people shy away from because it’s quite a pungent, oily fish — and showed us something really delicious. It was smart. She gave it this New York spin — the idea of the pumpernickel and horseradish, the schmear and the bagel, and the smoked fish. It just felt so right and so smart. Obviously, Dale’s felt right too — middle of the summer with fish tacos on the beach — but Carla’s gave us a sense of place that we were so excited about. For that reason, we felt we needed to give her the credit she deserved.

Why Tiffani and Jamie went home:

But in the end, we thought the mistakes as a whole were just not as great as Tiffani and Jamie’s. We were pretty clear about Jamie’s dish. She just wasn’t smart about the way she put the dish together. There was too much broth — watermelon, cucumber, radish, red onion. There’s so much water in all of those things. And then there was this piece of fish swimming in watered down liquid. It didn’t have any personality at all. It felt drowned in weak, tepid water.

waynepayne
1/14/2011, 03:40 PM
Tony on Jamie. :)

But… now that the Sea Sloth is gone, who… who shall take her place? Who will rise to grab the Crown of ******dom from the vacant throne?

and her possible replacement

Marcel seems to be doing his best to live up to her standards. Apparently, all you have to do is feed Marcel a little alcohol and he starts thinking he's an OG, flashing a dizzying array of half-assed hand gestures and gettin' all gangsta and ****. And right up in your face, too! It's really an amazement that Marcel has made it this far through life without getting a proverbial pencil in his neck.

hahaha. I love that darn Tony.

soonerchk
1/14/2011, 06:20 PM
I loved Tre's comment on Marcel - "I've definitely noticed throughout the weeks that we've been here that Marcel is kind of an a$$hole."

I've saving the TB recap for a nice workbreak later. :D

Sooner11JK
1/19/2011, 08:51 PM
Wednesday bump!

soonerchk
1/19/2011, 09:07 PM
Restaurant Wars, the challenge that took out 2 of my favorites - Dale and Tre. I have concerns.

Sooner11JK
1/19/2011, 11:43 PM
Pretty good show. Last couple of episodes have been a little bit meh. Although watching them fish was pretty cool, you got very little of the food and food preparation. There was no surprise shock at who they sent home. He needed to go after that "**** show." I think the chastising of the other team members was to add a little bit of drama. Ludo Lefebvre is pretty awesome. He was a great and thoughtful guest judge. If you have a couple of minutes, check out his website and look at the "pop-up" concept LudoBites. Pretty amazing.

www.ludolefebvre.com

Next week will be cool with the Goodfellas folks.

soonerchk
1/20/2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, I think Tiffany could have gone for bad food and bad service, plus the Curse of Angelo's Help. Antonia the Hammer lives on...

Honestly, I was just relieved to see Tre and Dale do well after their Restaurant Wars eliminations. And ironic that Tony was the guest judge that sent both of them home...

soonerchk
1/20/2011, 01:02 PM
Gawd, I do love Tony Bourdain:
Marcel's seeming inability to understand that simplest of equations -- that his first responsibility is to make food that makes people happy, drove the final nail into his self constructed coffin. His equally destructive inability to understand or get along with or inspire others -- his obliviousness to the human factor -- made his elimination an easy decision. In the end, his team turned on him, joyously, a pack of gleeful attack dogs, finally let loose from their cage. Having poked them with a stick repeatedly, he handed them the key, rolled himself in meat juice for good measure, -- and let loose the dogs of war. This is a very skilled cook. Chef? Not judging from what we saw tonight.

If you want to read the whole thing - and if you dislike Marcel, I encourage it - here it is http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs/anthony-bourdain/the-human-factor?page=0,0

waynepayne
1/20/2011, 01:03 PM
Oh, I think Tiffany could have gone for bad food and bad service, plus the Curse of Angelo's Help. Antonia the Hammer lives on...

Honestly, I was just relieved to see Tre and Dale do well after their Restaurant Wars eliminations. And ironic that Tony was the guest judge that sent both of them home...

It would have been Fabio's fault if Tiffany went home because he was SO AWESOME at FOH he just made her look all the more pitiful. And I like Tiffany!

soonerchk
1/20/2011, 01:06 PM
It would have been Fabio's fault if Tiffany went home because he was SO AWESOME at FOH he just made her look all the more pitiful. And I like Tiffany!

I like her too, but her FOH laugh just screamed desperation. And Angelo was taking care of her food. That alone is usually the kiss of death.

waynepayne
1/20/2011, 04:28 PM
I like her too, but her FOH laugh just screamed desperation. And Angelo was taking care of her food. That alone is usually the kiss of death.

yeah when Angelo told her he would take care of her food you could almost see the cold grip of the reaper on her shoulder...

soonerchk
1/20/2011, 04:47 PM
yeah when Angelo told her he would take care of her food you could almost see the cold grip of the reaper on her shoulder...

I immediately texted 3g that I was going to miss Tif. Little did I know that Marcel was going to have an epic meltdown at Judges Table. You know, the one Tiffany "accidentally" started.

waynepayne
1/20/2011, 05:00 PM
I immediately texted 3g that I was going to miss Tif. Little did I know that Marcel was going to have an epic meltdown at Judges Table. You know, the one Tiffany "accidentally" started.

Dale, given the advantage of choosing the opposing team's captain, shrewdly (and at one stroke) rid himself of any possibility of having to work with his arch enemy -- and rolled a ticking time bomb straight into any team he might face by picking Marcel, notoriously the worst leader of the bunch, a man with truly awful -- some might say pathologically bad -- people skills.

Everybody behaved and played together like adults -- while on the other side, it was like the day care center in Toy Story 3.

Has foam ever worked on Top Chef? More to the point, has it ever worked for Marcel? Did it, in any way, make anything better? Marcel seems incapable of asking himself these questions and rushed to the gallows, fiddling with the instrument of his execution to the detriment of service.

I can only guess that in Marcel World, it's always 1998, the sky is filled with magical ponies who **** foam -- and appreciate Marcel's rap stylings -- and everybody does exactly what Marcel thinks they should do -- perfectly

Tony is always so SPOT ON!

soonerchk
1/20/2011, 06:00 PM
It's even better if you read Marcel's blog explaining how misunderstood he is before reading Tony.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else wonder what happened to Angelo's Russian mail order fiancee?

waynepayne
1/20/2011, 06:55 PM
It's even better if you read Marcel's blog explaining how misunderstood he is before reading Tony.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else wonder what happened to Angelo's Russian mail order fiancee?

Something seems a little off about Angelo, especially after the father comment.

All I know is if she "disappeared" I wouldnt be eating any braised short ribs he made....

this is why I shouldn't watch Criminal Minds - I get all sorts of awful ideas!

soonerchk
1/21/2011, 11:43 AM
Even Tony thinks he's weird, and Tony usually embraces weird.

ouleaf
1/21/2011, 03:53 PM
Restaurant Wars is typically my favorite episode of the season. Think Tiffany got kind of screwed in taking FOH duties. Something she obviously is not very comfortable with....Kind of wish Stephen Asprinio was still around for this round and had a FOH battle with him and Fabio.

Couldn't believe how nervous Blais was after the challenge was over and up until they found out his was the winning team. Dale picked a great team. Tre's dish looked amazing.

Marcel deserved to go home I think, even though he did try and take control and his team would have none of it whatsoever. They were just cursed from the beginning since Mike hates Marcel.

Sooner11JK
1/26/2011, 05:52 PM
No new episode tonight. I hate it when they do that.....argh!

ouleaf
1/27/2011, 09:50 AM
No new episode tonight. I hate it when they do that.....argh!

agreed

ouleaf
2/3/2011, 11:31 AM
Pretty interesting episode last night....Thought the quickfire would have been terribly nerve racking for them....Make a dish that isn't going to be tasted....Have to rely strictly on presentation alone.

I don't know what the hell Trey, Angelo, Antonia and Dale were thinking. They were going more for an art piece and not so much food. Kind of wish Marcel were still around for this challenge. Think he could have killed this one. Blais had a nice concept though. So did Carla.

For the elimination challenge, would have been surprised if one of the italians didn't win it. Thought Fabio's dish looked better than Antonia's personally. Sad to see Trey go.

soonerchk
2/3/2011, 12:43 PM
I hated the quickfire. Hate Hate Hate. This is a cooking show, not a food styling show!!!

Angelo should not even know who Cavalli is, let alone think he's cool. I can't decide if this guy is a future serial killer, closeted homosexual(nttawwt), or just incredibly awkward. I would cheerfully have sent him home and kept Tre, no matter how bad Tre's risotto was.

ouleaf
2/3/2011, 05:12 PM
I have no real problem with any of the remaining chefs. Angelo does have an arrogance to him, but he is extremely talented. I still can't rule him out from winning this thing outright. I think it just depends on the challenge with him.

soonerchk
2/3/2011, 05:40 PM
I have no real problem with any of the remaining chefs. Angelo does have an arrogance to him, but he is extremely talented. I still can't rule him out from winning this thing outright. I think it just depends on the challenge with him.

He is deeply strange and he messes up other people's food.

waynepayne
2/3/2011, 05:42 PM
ARGH! I cant read this, I didnt get to see it. BOOOOOOOOO!

(thatisall)

waynepayne
2/9/2011, 11:01 PM
I loved that episode so much I may just stay up late and watch it again!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/9/2011, 11:13 PM
I loved that episode so much I may just stay up late and watch it again!

It was an enjoyable one. And what a gracious loser. Jimmy Fallon was fun.

soonerchk
2/9/2011, 11:22 PM
Tongue song is the only reason I'm not devastated at the results

waynepayne
2/10/2011, 08:58 AM
Tongue song is the only reason I'm not devastated at the results

I will always love Fabio for this gem and for his love of turtles

UNNuWWtqgqs&

But I thought last night's episode was so great!

Mike confirms he is a ********* by still sulking about Antonia's mussels although Eric Rippert himself said they arent only French (see video blog) AND I think Carla is the awesomest contestant ever. She is SO FUNNY! If I was Jimmy I would have picked her solely for the pure entertainment value she brings...

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 09:12 AM
This is the first time I've ever clicked on this thread. Wow. I wish I hadn't.

Carry on.

waynepayne
2/10/2011, 09:14 AM
This is the first time I've ever clicked on this thread. Wow. I wish I hadn't.

Carry on.

thanks for your wonderful contribution, its easy to see how you have made it to where you are... :rolleyes:

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 09:23 AM
Where are I?

In all honesty, I had assumed "Top Chefs" was a cooking show, not some hokey reality thing. I learned that by reading this thread this morning. It doesn't sound any different than Survivor or Idol, and I loathe those shows. Anyhow, carry on. Didn't mean to poop in Fabio's cous cous, I was merely commenting.

waynepayne
2/10/2011, 09:34 AM
Where are I?

In all honesty, I had assumed "Top Chefs" was a cooking show, not some hokey reality thing. I learned that by reading this thread this morning. It doesn't sound any different than Survivor or Idol, and I loathe those shows. Anyhow, carry on. Didn't mean to poop in Fabio's cous cous, I was merely commenting.

Top Chef is serious innernet business and I hath takeneth offense!

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 09:51 AM
:D

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 12:26 PM
Top Chef is serious innernet business and I hath takeneth offense!

ME TOO!!!!
It's so much more than a reality show, these people have to do something and do it well. Backstabbing or being everyone's bud won't help you at all.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 01:04 PM
That challenge was honestly pretty stupid. Should they really be cooking philly cheese steaks on Top Chef?

waynepayne
2/10/2011, 02:22 PM
That challenge was honestly pretty stupid. Should they really be cooking philly cheese steaks on Top Chef?

I liked it so buzz off!

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 02:22 PM
I hear next week they're having a corn dog challenge.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 02:33 PM

Why not? More people eat cheese steaks than foie gras or truffle oil.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:38 PM
A good cheesesteak is hard to find anywhere but NYC and Philly. Jersey Mike's is OK, but it ain't to die for. Do they give out their recipes on this show?

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 02:44 PM
Why not? More people eat cheese steaks than foie gras or truffle oil.

Well if that's the standard they are really going to have to dumb down the food they cook on the show. Hot dogs should be the next challenge.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 02:47 PM
A good cheesesteak is hard to find anywhere but NYC and Philly. Jersey Mike's is OK, but it ain't to die for. Do they give out their recipes on this show?

Yep, but it takes forever to get updated: http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/search?st=%22top+chef+season+8%22&cost=&skl=&tot=

mg, there's nothing wrong with mixing in high brow and low brow. I'm currently living on the lowest of the low brow and probably will be until the thaw.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:48 PM
Beanie wienies! **** yeah!!

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 02:50 PM
mg, there's nothing wrong with mixing in high brow and low brow. I'm currently living on the lowest of the low brow and probably will be until the thaw.

I know, I'm just kind of pissy today and wanted to be argumentative.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 02:51 PM
I know, I'm just kind of pissy today and wanted to be argumentative.

Yeah, you must be snowed in too. It's amazing I didn't come after you with claws out. Wanna fight later? It's almost snack time, and that's the most important time of my day right now.

ouleaf
2/10/2011, 02:52 PM
Good episode....Fabio deserved to go for not knowing how to make a proper Cheeseburger. I was really confused when he listed the different ground meats we was going to use.

Thought the fondue challenge was kind of neat. Like where Blais went, but thought Antonia's sounded the best and most practical, so was surprised when Dale won.

Carla's pot pie did look quite delicious, but Angelo's sandwich sounded very, very interesting.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 02:54 PM
Good episode....Fabio deserved to go for not knowing how to make a proper Cheeseburger. I was really confused when he listed the different ground meats we was going to use.

Thought the fondue challenge was kind of neat. Like where Blais went, but thought Antonia's sounded the best and most practical, so was surprised when Dale won.

Carla's pot pie did look quite delicious, but Angelo's sandwich sounded very, very interesting.

It really was a fun episode, even though I hate hate hate to lose Fabio. I really wish they'd give him his own show, he's a friggin riot!

Beef Tongue Song was my favorite part of the episode and it will be for a long time, mostly due to Carla's BEEEEEEEF TONGUE!!!!

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, you must be snowed in too. It's amazing I didn't come after you with claws out. Wanna fight later? It's almost snack time, and that's the most important time of my day right now.

Hell I was ready to snap over a week ago.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 02:59 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the national guard can do a booze drop...

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah that's contributed to my surly mood. No alcohol in the house.

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 03:04 PM

I'm now afraid of and for you.

waynepayne
2/10/2011, 03:33 PM

whoa! Now I just feel bad for you :(

soonerchk
2/10/2011, 04:19 PM
No Tony Bourdain blog today. :(

waynepayne
2/17/2011, 09:17 AM
I liked the QF ok because of SS (and no Richard, ice cream IS NOT a cookie, geebus!) but really didnt care for the Elimination Challenge. As mgsooner as moaned about prior that didnt have a whole hell of a lot to do with being able to cook.

And have no idea why such a dumb challenge was worth $25000!!? Oh yeah it was one big Target commercial. pfft.

And for all Angelo's weirdness, I still think he is a better cook than Mike or Beaumont.

A total downer of an episode after last weeks delight.

C&CDean
2/17/2011, 09:20 AM
So, who's still on the Island?

waynepayne
2/17/2011, 09:51 AM
So, who's still on the Island?

I give you a 99.999% chance of getting your butt kicked soon Dean.

3rdgensooner
2/17/2011, 10:52 AM
And for all Angelo's weirdness, I still think he is a better cook than Mike or Beaumont.
Mike has moment's of brilliance, Beaumont is not impressing me at all this season. Regardless, I will not miss Angelo.

And Dale is really coming on strong. He's a force right now. Antonia is also rocking it.

soonerchk
2/17/2011, 11:03 AM
Looks like Season 4 is the real superstar. Blais, Dale and Antonia still there and still on top. I'm still surprised by that, I thought Jen and Mikey would be the toughest.

waynepayne
2/17/2011, 04:33 PM
Mike has moment's of brilliance, Beaumont is not impressing me at all this season. Regardless, I will not miss Angelo.

And Dale is really coming on strong. He's a force right now. Antonia is also rocking it.

I have been really impressed with how solid and smart her choices have been so far.

ouleaf
2/18/2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah this episode was incredibly over the top in terms of sponsor involvement and product placement. Wasn't sure where Dale was going with potato chips and pretzels in a cookie, but the finished product did look good and I'm sure had the nice sweet/salty combo going.

Was pretty upset by all the soups at the elimination challenge. Thought Dale was right on point with a take on grilled cheese and tomato soup....Big week for Dale for sure. Angelo just hasn't been focused the last few episodes it seems like. Definitely think he is one of the more talent chefs, but just had a dish that put him on the bottom this week.

mgsooner
2/18/2011, 10:35 AM
Blais should have won the elimination challenge. Look at everything he produced versus Dale who produced a frickin grilled cheese and just spiced up some store bought tomato soup???? I just don't know about this show anymore. I'm ready for some actual culinary challenges rather then having them cook philly cheese steaks and grilled cheeses.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/23/2011, 09:48 PM
Well I hope all of you Angelo haters are happy. I will point out that the salt monster didn't send Angry Dale home the prior week, yet sent Angelo on his way.

I will admit Angelo didn't bring the same passion in this all-star season compared to last season.

I'm not sure where the drama will emerge from here on out. All the folks left are fairly likeable, but not exactly lickable.

Richard should win if the culinary gods are just, but who knows...

and Dean, quit snooping around our island if you're a land-lock kind of guy.

mgsooner
2/23/2011, 11:16 PM
It sounds like Dale went home because he made the one dish that was nearly inedible. Oh and Antonia is kind of a b*tch.

reflector
2/23/2011, 11:44 PM
I hope either Carla or Richard wins the season.

mgsooner
2/23/2011, 11:53 PM
I'm all in for Richard at this point.

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 06:41 AM
well here we go disagreeing again senior because I think Antonia is pretty cool. (although you are just a bitter state employee so who really cares what you think)

I was glad to see Dale go and will be even happier to see Mike(he is such a doosh!) go.

My picks for the final are Antonia, Carla and Blais.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/24/2011, 09:37 AM
My picks for the final are Antonia, Carla and Blais.

Sounds right.

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 10:16 AM
It sounds like Dale went home because he made the one dish that was nearly inedible. Oh and Antonia is kind of a b*tch.What makes you say that about Antonia?

I was glad to see Dale go and will be even happier to see Mike(he is such a doosh!) go.

My picks for the final are Antonia, Carla and Blais.I like Dale. I also would rather have seen Mike go, or the increasingly shrill Tiffany.

Carla seems to be hanging on by a thread--she's almost always in freak mode of late.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 10:54 AM
I was glad to see Dale go
I just don't know you anymore.

Absolutely devastated to see Dale go. The only person that would upset me more would have been Blais.

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 12:53 PM
I just don't know you anymore.

Absolutely devastated to see Dale go. The only person that would upset me more would have been Blais.

You know after last night I am torn on him. Sometimes he seems like such an arrogrant prick and then he went and got all teary eyed on me last night and tugged at my heart strings (like most of my ex-boyfriends :D )

3g you are right about Tiffany. If I hear the phrase "I'ma from Beaumont Texas" one more time I will be making the same hand gesture last night Dale did to describe being in the weeds. ( I still want Mike to go before her just cuz it would **** him off)

mgsooner
2/24/2011, 01:05 PM
Tiffany really does try to sell that Beaumont Texas crap, doesn't she?

I like Dale. If you watched him in the past (including Top Chef Masters when he acted like a total ***), it seems like he has come a long way in the attitude department.

The reason why I said what I said about Antonia is the comment she made to poor Carla. When she screwed up the quickfire and only made one dish, Carla tried to hug her and Antonia said "don't touch me". I had to rewind it to catch it, but that's what she said. Why in the hell would you act like that to Carla of all people? Your dumb @$$ screwed it up, don't take it out on other people.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 01:06 PM
Dale was one of my favorites even when he was Angry Dale because for the most part he was funny.

If I hear the phrase "I'ma from Beaumont Texas" one more time I will be making the same hand gesture last night Dale did to describe being in the weeds.

Wouldn't bug me half as much without the screechy upturn in her voice when she hits the "Beau". Kind of want to punch her in the throat now

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 01:07 PM
Tiffany really does try to sell that Beaumont Texas crap, doesn't she?

I like Dale. If you watched him in the past (including Top Chef Masters when he acted like a total ***), it seems like he has come a long way in the attitude department.

The reason why I said what I said about Antonia is the comment she made to poor Carla. When she screwed up the quickfire and only made one dish, Carla tried to hug her and Antonia said "don't touch me". I had to rewind it to catch it, but that's what she said. Why in the hell would you act like that to Carla of all people? Your dumb @$$ screwed it up, don't take it out on other people.

Oh, I totally understand why she'd do that. Not anything personal on Carla, but she was probably so pissed at herself that if anyone tried to be nice she was going to have a crying fit on national tv and she didn't want to do that.

mgsooner
2/24/2011, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't bug me half as much without the screechy upturn in her voice when she hits the "Beau". Kind of want to punch her in the throat now

Her crying spell in front of the judges a couple of weeks ago reeked of pathetic sympathy fishing as well.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 01:12 PM
Returning for All Stars has really kind of wrecked her rep and shows how weak last season really was.

mgsooner
2/24/2011, 01:19 PM
At this point if Richard doesn't win I'm going to be mighty bummed. If Mike wins it will be pathetic. Talk about a guy that thinks he is 100 times more talented than he actually is.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 01:21 PM
At this point if Richard doesn't win I'm going to be mighty bummed. If Mike wins it will be pathetic. Talk about a guy that thinks he is 100 times more talented than he actually is.

I love Blais, and I love love love that Fabio told him that he reminds Fabio of his ex wife. I swear if they would broadcast Blais and Fabio hanging out together, I would watch.

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 01:21 PM
Oh, I totally understand why she'd do that. Not anything personal on Carla, but she was probably so pissed at herself that if anyone tried to be nice she was going to have a crying fit on national tv and she didn't want to do that.

I'm with chk. I dont think it was personal at all and think her and Carla are pretty tight.

A. She was really pissed she effed up and was outright told by Paula hers was the best (I looked it up she hasnt one a QF and 5k is 5k!)

B. I think she was even MORE pissed that Mike won it. And yes when I am really mad I usually have to cry it out for a bit and then go punch someone in the throat :P

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 01:22 PM
I love Blais, and I love love love that Fabio told him that he reminds Fabio of his ex wife. I swear if they would broadcast Blais and Fabio hanging out together, I would watch.

Ohh we should think of a title for that show.

No Reservations The Sequel?

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 01:50 PM
Ohh we should think of a title for that show.

No Reservations The Sequel?

All I can think of is Lady and the Tramp. It makes no sense, but it's cracking me up!

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 01:55 PM
Liquid Gnocchi-gen

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 01:58 PM
Liquid Gnocchi-gen

I hope to be as witty as you when I grow up...

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 02:00 PM
*curtsy*

I am reminded that I was going to send you a link, so I shall do that now.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 02:01 PM
Liquid Gnocchi-gen

And we're done.

I hope to be as witty as you when I grow up...

I've already given up on that happening for me.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me:
"Anthony Bourdain is semi-conscious in Connecticut, but sad to see Angry Dale go. Managed to mutter that he enjoyed the congestive heart disease theme of the Quickfire Challenge before slumping to the floor, babbling 'Not Dale! Not Dale! Nooooooo!' "

mgsooner
2/24/2011, 03:00 PM
Ah, the good ole days.

http://dcist.com/attachments/JoshInDC/Bryan%20pic.jpg

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 03:07 PM
*curtsy*

I am reminded that I was going to send you a link, so I shall do that now.

If you posted that article on here I think I can safely guarantee 10+ pages.

just sayin'....

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 03:12 PM
If you posted that article on here I think I can safely guarantee 10+ pages.

just sayin'....I am certain you are correct. But I am already barely tolerating message boards at the moment. I'm pretty sure the responses would take away my last wavering vestiges of interest.

waynepayne
2/24/2011, 03:16 PM
I am certain you are correct. But I am already barely tolerating message boards at the moment. I'm pretty sure the responses would take away my last wavering vestiges of interest.

its been a precipitous(takethatchk!!) drop indeed.

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 04:07 PM
I should have gone to grad school so I too could throw the impressive vocab.

3rdgensooner
2/24/2011, 04:37 PM
I should have gone to grad school so I too could throw the impressive vocab.You can haz thesauruz

soonerchk
2/24/2011, 04:42 PM
Ah, the good ole days.

http://dcist.com/attachments/JoshInDC/Bryan%20pic.jpg

His bad boy tatted up brother was hotter.

Threegee, I can haz, but I has to haz an idea before it works.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/25/2011, 07:14 PM
A local radio program kept replaying an audio clip of Paula Deen from last week's show.... over and over and over ....

Oh my goodness, I got soooo excited! I LOVE heads on shrimp,

because I know I'm go na be SUCKIN THAT HEAD!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/26/2011, 11:57 PM
8L0FKwpXmP4

mgsooner
2/27/2011, 01:24 AM
His bad boy tatted up brother was hotter.

Threegee, I can haz, but I has to haz an idea before it works.

Blasphemer. I'm not gay, but Brian might make me reconsider.

soonerchk
2/27/2011, 12:29 PM
Blasphemer. I'm not gay, but Brian might make me reconsider.

He looks like he spends more on hair products than I do, and that's just not okay in a man.

mgsooner
2/27/2011, 05:26 PM
He looks like he spends more on hair products than I do, and that's just not okay in a man.

I probably spend more on hair products than you do. So just what exactly are you trying to say????

;)

soonerchk
2/27/2011, 06:22 PM
Maybe I need to spend more?

mgsooner
3/2/2011, 11:04 PM
These family challenges are lame because you don't really get to see the judges in action. You just see "everything is great". They're not going to be critical of somebody's dish in front of their mom.

mgsooner
3/2/2011, 11:07 PM
OMG Tiffany just mentioned Texas again. STFU

SanJoaquinSooner
3/2/2011, 11:12 PM
That was cruel -- telling Richard to pack his knives.

mgsooner
3/2/2011, 11:18 PM
Dude what a crock

SanJoaquinSooner
3/3/2011, 01:00 AM
No elimination was lame.

waynepayne
3/3/2011, 08:39 AM
It was good to see Antonia win yet again. Seeing that little pouty face Richard makes when he doesnt win is starting to make me happy. (stupid MRE bag, pffft!)

I do agree sending no one home was lame.

Read this comment on a recap and was like yup.

I think I've had enough of Richard thinking he is a culinary god. We get it, you're an amazing, talented, genius of a chef. But please stop believing your own hype. It's making us not like you.

ouleaf
3/3/2011, 09:52 AM
I can understand Richard being frustrated on the quick fire....so much more skill, creativity, and difficulty went into a dish where he pretty much had nothing to work with and he turn out something great, but he was ultimately beaten by a fruit salad. That would probably drive me nuts too.

After the raves reviews and compliments they gave everyone on their meals, I kinda figured they would all be going to the finals. If I had to eliminate anyone, it probably would have Mike, just because his dish seemed the most simple to execute.

At this point, it's really anyone's game. it'll just come down to who makes the best dish, which is exactly the way it should be.

waynepayne
3/3/2011, 10:03 AM
I can understand Richard being frustrated on the quick fire....so much more skill, creativity, and difficulty went into a dish where he pretty much had nothing to work with and he turn out something great, but he was ultimately beaten by a fruit salad. That would probably drive me nuts too.

After the raves reviews and compliments they gave everyone on their meals, I kinda figured they would all be going to the finals. If I had to eliminate anyone, it probably would have Mike, just because his dish seemed the most simple to execute.

At this point, it's really anyone's game. it'll just come down to who makes the best dish, which is exactly the way it should be.

He can pull all the tricks out of his little bag he wants to but at the end of the day its how the food tasted. Carla's fruit salad obviously tasted better than Richard's super deluxe dog.

soonerchk
3/4/2011, 03:55 PM
Shut your whore mouth!!! I love Blais, and my idea of television heaven would be watching he and Fabio travel around and cook. I will be bummed if he doesn't win, especially after seeing his cute pregnant wife. They are adorable, and it is positively unAmerican to dislike him!!!

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:34 PM
Shut your whore mouth!!! I love Blais, and my idea of television heaven would be watching he and Fabio travel around and cook. I will be bummed if he doesn't win, especially after seeing his cute pregnant wife. They are adorable, and it is positively unAmerican to dislike him!!!

:D

I have been waiting on you dear chk.

but seriously, come on. He isnt just the slightest big arrogant to you? And his wife is way cuter than he is. just goes to show you that maybe food is also the way to a woman's heart.

soonerchk
3/4/2011, 04:37 PM
Anyone who wants to take Fabio on a family vacation is okay in my book.

3rdgensooner
3/4/2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think Blais is really over the top arrogant. I mean, most chefs are to some degree. He doesn't hide his disappointment well--he could work on his game face.

I was kind of hoping Tiff would go home this week.

soonerchk
3/4/2011, 04:44 PM
The worst possible outcome would be for Tiffany to win. Of course I want my boy Blais to win, but I would be happy if Carla or Antonia won, and I wouldn't throw stuff at the tv if Mike did. But Tiffanny? No No No No No

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:47 PM
I don't think Blais is really over the top arrogant. I mean, most chefs are to some degree. He doesn't hide his disappointment well--he could work on his game face.

I was kind of hoping Tiff would go home this week.

Exactly.

And HECK NO Tiffany better not win!

Its weird how you two pop up all the sudden, maybe the rumors are true....

3rdgensooner
3/4/2011, 04:50 PM
Its weird how you two pop up all the sudden, maybe the rumors are true....
No, I am not a robot.

And I've been around. You haven't.

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:53 PM
No, I am not a robot.

And I've been around. You haven't.

(in case you havent noticed this place is pretty suspeked)

reflector
3/4/2011, 04:55 PM
Richard or Carla needs to win.

soonerchk
3/4/2011, 04:59 PM
Reflector is correct.

mgsooner
3/5/2011, 11:23 AM
Tiffany should just be required to wear a t-shirt that says "I'M FROM BEAUMONT, TEXAS" for the rest of the season. It would save time all around.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/5/2011, 11:50 AM
Tom was not believable when he said he liked the okra. Inviting parents and spouses to an elimination meal turned the judges flaccid. Bad idea.

Tiffany should have been sent to pack her knives.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/9/2011, 11:13 PM
Good to see Stephanie again. She is one of my favorites. Too bad the former winners weren't featured just a bit more.

I never would have guessed Mike, Antonia, and Tiffany to last this long.

ouleaf
3/10/2011, 09:48 AM
Thought that was really cool that they had to compete against their season's Top Chef. Just did not understand at all what Stephanie was trying to do though. Even the description of her dish was strange....something like Veal Scallopini with olives and a poached egg? She had a chance to win 20 large and put out that? Thought Hosea's dish sounded very good. Voltaggio's dish was so far out there conceptually, I had no idea what to think of it.

Wasn't sure why Blais and Antonia changed up their dishes after the fire.....that was pretty awful having to go back to square one after the fire. Their stress level is already through the roof and then you have something like that happen and just completely shut you down.

Sad to see Carla go, but I didn't think she was going to win anyway, so it was only a matter of time. Impressed that Isabella is turning out good food when it really matters.

reflector
3/10/2011, 09:50 AM
I was a little sad to see Carla go.

3rdgensooner
3/10/2011, 10:23 AM
I thought Antonia was gone for sure last night, was very surprised they booted Carla.

soonerchk
3/10/2011, 12:49 PM
Good to see Stephanie again. She is one of my favorites. Too bad the former winners weren't featured just a bit more.

I never would have guessed Mike, Antonia, and Tiffany to last this long.

I am not surprised to see Mike and Antonia still around, especially Antonia. The only reason she didn't make the final challenge her season was because she opened a restaurant during the time before the finale and was just burned out. Hence we had Angry Lesbian Lisa in the finale. :(

I was a little sad to see Carla go.

I was a lot sad, but not surprised. You can't serve raw pork to the judges and expect to make it through. I will miss her very much.

Edit - Mike Voltaggio is still the hottest cheftestant out there.

mgsooner
3/10/2011, 03:23 PM
The fact that fat Mike beat Mike V is proof positive that this thing is rigged

soonerchk
3/10/2011, 03:42 PM
The fact that fat Mike beat Mike V is proof positive that this thing is rigged

I completely agree. That would never happen in the real world.

Sidenote - Does anyone else look at Mike and see a toad?

3rdgensooner
3/10/2011, 03:48 PM
I think he's more jabba-turtley

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3562/michaelisabellanoway.jpg

waynepayne
3/10/2011, 03:49 PM
I completely agree. That would never happen in the real world.

uh no you arent the only one. I am darn close to outright loathing him.

Sure wish Tiffany would have gone home instead of Carla... *sigh*

soonerchk
3/10/2011, 03:54 PM
I swear, he reminds me of a cartoon toad, but I can't place the show. Anyone?

waynepayne
3/10/2011, 04:03 PM
I swear, he reminds me of a cartoon toad, but I can't place the show. Anyone?

oh my mawd that is going to drive me crazy until I find it now. thx a lot!

3rdgensooner
3/10/2011, 04:07 PM
oh my mawd that is going to drive me crazy until I find it now. thx a lot!Ok good. As long as I know you're on it I can let it go. whew

waynepayne
3/10/2011, 04:08 PM
Ok good. As long as I know you're on it I can let it go. whew

I am on my 5th page of google image. Its getting a little weird.

soonerchk
3/10/2011, 04:09 PM
oh my mawd that is going to drive me crazy until I find it now. thx a lot!

Ok good. As long as I know you're on it I can let it go. whew

Thank you both for taking care of this for me. I suck at GIS, so I will await your results. :D

ouleaf
3/14/2011, 04:52 PM
This doesn't pertain to Top Chef All-Stars, but rather mini-special of Chopped All-Stars. Wasn't really sure it deserved it's own thread, so I thought I'd put it under the Top Chef one.

Anyways, if you didn't know, Food Network is running a special edition of chopped using "Food Network All Stars". I normally don't watch much of chopped but this intrigued me. Guess I really wanted to see just how good some of those personalities are when they are completely out of their element.

The 1st episode featured a bunch of "Next Food Network Star Series" throw aways. They were all pretty annoying and on their show as well as this one. I don't really give any of them a chance of winning the whole charity competition. The guy that won and advanced to the next round, Michael, did a pretty respectable job, but he'll be toast against the other big time chefs that advance.

Last night was the 2nd episode and featured 2 heavy hitters in Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine. They other two were Duff Goldman and that cute 5 ingredient fix girl. Pretty much went as expected with Robert and Anne getting to the last round, and Anne eventually got the nod, but either one really could have won. They both turned out really great food.

There are two more qualifying rounds with some other big time chefs in line, including most of the regular judges for the show. Gotta say, I'm interested in this

Sooner11JK
3/14/2011, 05:08 PM
This doesn't pertain to Top Chef All-Stars, but rather mini-special of Chopped All-Stars. Wasn't really sure it deserved it's own thread, so I thought I'd put it under the Top Chef one.

Anyways, if you didn't know, Food Network is running a special edition of chopped using "Food Network All Stars". I normally don't watch much of chopped but this intrigued me. Guess I really wanted to see just how good some of those personalities are when they are completely out of their element.

The 1st episode featured a bunch of "Next Food Network Star Series" throw aways. They were all pretty annoying and on their show as well as this one. I don't really give any of them a chance of winning the whole charity competition. The guy that won and advanced to the next round, Michael, did a pretty respectable job, but he'll be toast against the other big time chefs that advance.

Last night was the 2nd episode and featured 2 heavy hitters in Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine. They other two were Duff Goldman and that cute 5 ingredient fix girl. Pretty much went as expected with Robert and Anne getting to the last round, and Anne eventually got the nod, but either one really could have won. They both turned out really great food.

There are two more qualifying rounds with some other big time chefs in line, including most of the regular judges for the show. Gotta say, I'm interested in this

Interested as well. Want to see how the judges do. I'm sure they'll do well as they are all great chefs. Can't wait to hear their comments about being a participant vs. being a judge. Nate Appleman is going to be a participant also. Dude is flat out a rock star.

waynepayne
3/16/2011, 10:02 PM
And there it is.

3rdgensooner
3/17/2011, 09:27 AM
I wasn't crazy about the challenge--seemed a bit over the top.

Tiffany is finally gone though, so I'll take it.

diegosooner
3/17/2011, 10:01 AM
I wasn't crazy about the challenge--seemed a bit over the top.

Tiffany is finally gone though, so I'll take it.

si.

soonerchk
3/17/2011, 11:19 AM
I enjoyed watching Blais try to dive and his commentary on Topless Mike. Other than that, it seemed fairly predictable, although I was disappointed no one had sand in their food. After they made such a big deal out of it, I figured it would happen and matter.

mgsooner
3/17/2011, 12:21 PM
The loser of the challenge was very predictable; the winner wasn't. Glad to see what was obviously the weakest competitor eliminated.

soonerchk
3/17/2011, 02:32 PM
One thing that didn't hit me until later - Antonia the Black Hammer struck again...:eek:

reflector
3/17/2011, 04:55 PM
I was happy to see Tiffany go.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/23/2011, 09:14 PM
rooster jizz on the table, but I didn't see anyone use it.

3rdgensooner
3/24/2011, 01:05 PM
Isabella is on my last nerve. Go Blais!

diegosooner
3/24/2011, 01:41 PM
Isabella is on my last nerve. Go Blais!

Si, go Blias!

soonerchk
3/24/2011, 01:43 PM
I've been saying Go Blais all season long! Not sure I can stomach Mikey winning it all, but if he does, I'll survive. It's not like having Richard Hatch win Survivor, and I lived thru that okay.

reflector
3/24/2011, 02:22 PM
I hope Richard wins.

saucysoonergal
3/24/2011, 02:31 PM
Is this cooking show better than Face Off?

Sooner11JK
3/24/2011, 02:36 PM
Is this cooking show better than Face Off?

This is the best cooking reality show on TV. To me it is the best because it is about the food and not so much the drama. They had one season, the second, that the show highlighted waaaaaay too much drama and the contestants were seemingly chosen based on their ability to add to said drama. There was a backlash from the fans of the first season, and since then, the show has revolved around the food that the chefs are creating and that makes it great.

soonerchk
3/24/2011, 02:42 PM
This is the best cooking reality show on TV. To me it is the best because it is about the food and not so much the drama. They had one season, the second, that the show highlighted waaaaaay too much drama and the contestants were seemingly chosen based on their ability to add to said drama. There was a backlash from the fans of the first season, and since then, the show has revolved around the food that the chefs are creating and that makes it great.

Yes and for me it's fascinating to see how they work and where they get inspired. And the guest judges are stars in their own right, so it adds credibility. I always enjoy Tom Coliccio's blog because he will say outright exactly why one person won or went home over another.