PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska RB TD

soonerz
12/1/2010, 05:58 PM
I noticed that against Nebraska, their running back throw a TD. The play appeared to be a running play and when the RB knew he didn't have the edge, he throw the ball for a touchdown. My question is: there were like 3 or 4 O-linemen that were past the line of scrimmage? Isn't that a penalty for an illegal man down field? Or is the rule something about how the o-lineman would have to be covered for there to have been a call? Just trying to get some clarification

UHS-SoonerFan
12/1/2010, 05:59 PM
wat

rekamrettuB
12/1/2010, 06:07 PM
Linemen can't be more than a couple yards downfield. The OL has to make it look like a run so they have to go a yard or two downfield but should be engaged w/ a DL.

Saying that, if a RB improvised and threw a pass when it was supposed to be a run, he would be benched whether it worked or not. You can always tell from the angle we see on TV if it's a half back pass because the RB will not be going towards the LOS.

NormanPride
12/1/2010, 06:08 PM
Unless the pass is made to a receiver behind the LOS.

Scott D
12/1/2010, 06:32 PM
that post made my eyes bleed.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2010, 06:52 PM
I know the play you are talking about and it was designed to be a pass from the get-go. The RB decided to bail out and run the ball when his receiver wasn't open, but changed his mind again when someone broke free late. You could tell is was a pass play exactly because the O-line stayed home and pass blocked.

swardboy
12/1/2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79
You could tell is was a pass playNow you're doin' it!

GimmeRed
12/1/2010, 07:08 PM
Both of Burkhead's TD passes were designed pass plays. One halfback pass and one from the wildcat.

The linemen didn't release. Rex was a high school QB and probably runs the zone read from the wildcat better then any other QB we have.

BajaOklahoma
12/1/2010, 07:20 PM
Both of Burkhead's TD passes were designed pass plays. One halfback pass and one from the wildcat.

The linemen didn't release. Rex was a high school QB and probably runs the zone read from the wildcat better then any other QB we have.

Rex is going to have his own cheering section at the game, since he grew up in Plano. He's always been a great athlete.

VA Sooner
12/1/2010, 09:17 PM
Burkhead did a good job of selling the run. They were just practicing on a poor, defenseless (and I do mean a team without a defense) Colorado team playing their hearts out just to be bowl eligible.

Ex-QB Burkhead will be tricky and you can bet they'll try this play a few times to get some offensive leverage if the game slips away.

PDXsooner
12/1/2010, 09:53 PM
Burkhead's throwing motion is slightly worse than my 8 year old daughter.

GimmeRed
12/1/2010, 10:00 PM
Burkhead did a good job of selling the run. They were just practicing on a poor, defenseless (and I do mean a team without a defense) Colorado team playing their hearts out just to be bowl eligible.

Ex-QB Burkhead will be tricky and you can bet they'll try this play a few times to get some offensive leverage if the game slips away.

This is true. Colorado defense is ranked 6th in the Big XII. One behind Oklahoma.

GottaHavePride
12/1/2010, 10:07 PM
Burkhead's throwing motion is slightly worse than my 8 year old daughter.

So, still better than Vince Young's? :)

PDXsooner
12/2/2010, 12:01 AM
So, still better than Vince Young's? :)

Comparable!