PDA

View Full Version : Does OU have a team

Dan Thompson
12/1/2010, 05:40 PM
airplane?

Any pictures available?

ELP Sooner
12/1/2010, 05:41 PM
For football they charter an american airlines 757.

Dan Thompson
12/1/2010, 06:25 PM
Does the plane have any OU markings or it just a standard passenger jet?

I suppose the seats are all first class seats.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2010, 06:29 PM
airplane?

Any pictures available?

they use about 50 or so of these, really cool when they are all flying in formation. :pop:
http://www.aviation.ou.edu/assets/pic-gallery.jpg

setem
12/1/2010, 06:35 PM
They used to ride this around! But he is working elsewhere!

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7554/c1mainconanblimp.jpg

SoonerBorn85
12/1/2010, 06:38 PM
The school does have a King Air 350 with "OU" on the tail that coaches and administrators use for recruiting and other business. As mentioned above, the team flies on a regular AA 757. Can't link at the moment, but google the OU aviation website. It's pretty cool. They have a handfull of 2005 Piper Warriors that the students fly. They're painted with crimson stripes and all of them have "OU" on their tails.

ELP Sooner
12/1/2010, 06:55 PM
When they use AA it's just a regular passenger 757 jet from the hub at DFW. When OU came to the Sun Bowl they used 2 737's from Southwest Airlines.

boomermet
12/1/2010, 09:40 PM
Did you know that OU was the first college football team to fly to an away game? Coach Tatum actually used two planes, split the team up so that if one crashed they could still play. I think they flew to NYC to play Army in Yankee Stadium...Lost the game I think.

MeMyself&Me
12/1/2010, 10:15 PM
The school does have a King Air 350 with "OU" on the tail that coaches and administrators use for recruiting and other business. As mentioned above, the team flies on a regular AA 757. Can't link at the moment, but google the OU aviation website. It's pretty cool. They have a handfull of 2005 Piper Warriors that the students fly. They're painted with crimson stripes and all of them have "OU" on their tails.

This is better than when I was there. In the mid '90s, in place of the current King Air 350 it was a Turbo Commander and while they did have a few '70s era Piper Warriors, they had more Piper Tomahawks than Warriors.

All the airplanes had "OU" on them and most were red on white and some even had "OU" in the tail number.

To my knowledge, none of those airplanes where ever used to transport players... except maybe one tight end that learned to fly in them.

fadada1
12/1/2010, 10:38 PM
"ever been in a cockpit, son?"

"no sir"

"ever been in a turkish prison?"

slh1234
12/2/2010, 12:16 AM
I wondered about team planes since I saw the AZ Cardinals plane at San Jose ... then I noticed that San Jose State University plan that often sets at San Jose airport. But I don't know ... is that a team plane? Or do they have an aviation departement that trains with that plane. It certainly doesn't look like a shiny exhibition quality plane ...

So does OU have a plane? I'd like to know.

MeMyself&Me
12/2/2010, 07:40 AM
So does OU have a plane? I'd like to know.

:confused:

tfoolry
12/2/2010, 10:02 AM
It's kept on Fantasy Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_QbVDlLbI

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2448730058_ac37c0e0fe.jpg

Dr. Jelly Finger
12/2/2010, 10:14 AM
"ever been in a cockpit, son?"

"no sir"

"ever been in a turkish prison?"

"you ever watch old movies about gladiators?"

"ever seen a grown man naked?"

Airplane - what a great flick

Shakadoodoo
12/2/2010, 10:30 AM
We (the wrestlers) always flew in regular passenger airplanes and so did every other sports team - at least we did in the early 90's. And we did not fly first class. There are a lot of people on a football team so I doubt very seriously they fly first class either.

SoonerPr8r
12/2/2010, 11:13 AM
Did you know that OU was the first college football team to fly to an away game? Coach Tatum actually used two planes, split the team up so that if one crashed they could still play. I think they flew to NYC to play Army in Yankee Stadium...Lost the game I think.

Pretty sure they won, but either way the coach took the entire team to Cuba after the game. Bud Wilkinson was an assistant coach at the time. After the school found out how much Tatum spent they let him go and kept Wilkinson

jumperstop
12/2/2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, why would they need first class? The longest flight they probably have in conference at least is only an hour.