PDA

View Full Version : If we throw the ball 62 times against Nebraska, we will lose!

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2010, 02:09 PM
Last year Landry tossed the rock 58 times, which would be too many passes for even Sam Bradford to throw. Nebraska's defense is very good against the pass, but average at best against the run. We have to run the ball at least the same number of times we pass or Nebraska wins this game.

yankee
12/1/2010, 02:11 PM
I agree. Those Nebbish corners are awfully good. We definitely have our hands full for this game...

Uncle Ernie
12/1/2010, 02:22 PM
Last year Landry tossed the rock 58 times, which would be too many passes for even Sam Bradford to throw. Nebraska's defense is very good against the pass, but average at best against the run. We have to run the ball at least the same number of times we pass or Nebraska wins this game.

What about 63 times?

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2010, 02:27 PM
What about 63 times?

That's pretty clever.

cvsooner
12/1/2010, 02:29 PM
Only if it's a completion for a TD.

SoonerNutt
12/1/2010, 02:30 PM
If we can't throw the ball effectively, we will lose.

We will throw it often, but not 62 times. NU's D is good enough to prevent us from having 100+ plays like we did last week.

I'd bet we throw it at least 40. Short passes are our ball control offense. We won't abandon that this week.

kevpks
12/1/2010, 02:31 PM
We'll throw less because Pelini will try to take the air out of the ball and force a physical game. Our defense is the key. If the front seven has their way, Martinez or whoever they roll out there will use up his anytime minutes by halftime.

setem
12/1/2010, 02:36 PM
I think their D is good but if Martinez does not play they have no chance!

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 02:38 PM

Okay, so is this the same injured OLine that is playing against Suh?

Is this the same venue? Lincoln, NE?

They may be good against the pass...but they really have not faced this offense. Last year, OU lost by 7 with what 5 or 6 turnovers?

I am not saying I am not worried about this game...but to act like Nebraska's secondary is great is a little over-exaggerating!

Name one offense that they have played that throws the ball like we do?

Oklahoma State! yeah, there we go. They allowed OSU to rack up 41 offensive points against them!

I am not too worried about Nebraska's secondary, the one Blackmon torched with 5 receptions and 157 yards!

Keep in mind, all of OSU points against Nebraska came from their offense, no special teams or defensive touch downs.

This is unlike the 52 yard INT TD for OSU and the KO return for a TD for OSU against OU.

So yeah, I like our chances!

Our defense held OSu to less yards passing!

soonervegas
12/1/2010, 02:40 PM
Well 58 times probably means about 5-6 picks by the NU defense.....2 of those for scores.

If that was 2/3 of their scoring though we might get by with it.

SouthFortySooner
12/1/2010, 02:42 PM
We will lose if we pass when we should have ran, and run when we should have passed! I know! Book it.

Uncle Ernie
12/1/2010, 03:06 PM
We will lose if we pass when we should have ran, and run when we should have passed! I know! Book it.

Good passing beats good running and vice versa.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 03:08 PM
Well 58 times probably means about 5-6 picks by the NU defense.....2 of those for scores.

If that was 2/3 of their scoring though we might get by with it.

10 of their 18 INTs on the season have come against their non-conference foes, 5 of which came from Idaho, 2 from Washington, 2 from South Dakota St, and 1 from Western Kentucky.

Meaning only 8 of their 18 INts on the season came from their play in the Big 12. 1 vs. KSU, 0 vs. Texas, 1 vs. OSU, 1 vs. Missouri, 2 vs. Iowa State, 1 vs. Kansas, 0 vs. A&M, and 2 vs. Colorado.

interesting note: only 4 teams (Idaho, OSU, Missouri, and Iowa State) passed the ball more than 30 times against Nebraska. Of those 4 teams Iowa State and OSU scored 30 or more points against this great Secondary.

those two offenses had 67 pass attempts and only 3 INTs compared to 5 passing TDs.

Landry Jones has only thrown 10 INts this season with 527 attempts. I highly doubt Nebraska will pick OU off 5-6 times if OU throws the ball 58 times!

Also, OU has ran 90 plays 4 times this year. Cincinnati, Iowa State, A&M (over 100) and Oklahoma State (over 100).

Okie35
12/1/2010, 03:19 PM
We won't throw 62 times. The reason why we did that against OK State because their pass defense is horrible. Nebraska's run defense is pretty vulnerable. I'm sure we'll see a lot of that "backs" formation.

OK2U
12/1/2010, 04:03 PM
Nebraska's corners are good, but their safeties are weak (according to this espn video analysis):
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5870014&categoryid=2564308

PDXsooner
12/1/2010, 04:05 PM
You guys may be impressed with this Big 10 team, but I'm not. They are a textbook pretender who will be exposed this Saturday in Arlington.

They will probably drop to the Insight Bowl and play some pansy, win by 4 and feel better about themselves while heading into the Big TenElevenTwelve.

usaosooner
12/1/2010, 04:08 PM
Biggest issue last year Suh and turnovers... Suh isn't there anymore, we limit turnovers we got this...

soonerloyal
12/1/2010, 05:27 PM
My feeling about the game is this...it's an ending to the Conference as we know it, pitting two teams with great programs, great histories, and one with the intangibles that make classic rivalry games great. Regardless of rankings, this game makes me feel as if it'll be a slugfest like the OU/OSU game we just won. Hey, I hope we'll see an epic like OU/NU 2000 (or OU wins like 2000/2003 RRS works fer me LOL). If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled and buy virtual rounds of OVJ.

I just think it'll be a bite-yer-nails game - that I believe we'll win.

Dan Thompson
12/1/2010, 05:33 PM
I've got the answer, it just so obvious.

We run 62 times:)

SoonerNutt
12/1/2010, 05:47 PM
Biggest issue last year Suh and turnovers... Suh isn't there anymore, we limit turnovers we got this...

Don't forget FG kicking. 1 out of 4 last year vs. NU. That was the day Tress Way became a former kicker.

Jimmy won't likely be having that kind of day, especially indoors.

cyclonesooner
12/1/2010, 06:26 PM
We won't win if we keep having to take field goals instead of tds, allow kickoff returns for td, throw pick sixes, etc. Go Sooners !

cvsooner
12/1/2010, 06:31 PM
I can see this game being something similar to the 2006 game...only without the cold.

winout
12/1/2010, 06:45 PM
I say everytime we go up to the line have the Landry yell "we're going to throw it" and throw it until they stop us.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2010, 06:48 PM
I'm sure LJ will have to throw a few balls out of bounds and I hope he has learned to throw it *way* out of bounds.

SouthFortySooner
12/1/2010, 06:48 PM
I say everytime we go up to the line have the Landry yell "we're going to throw it" and throw it until they stop us.

Now here's an idea I can get in touch with.