PDA

View Full Version : How Does The Late Season Effect the OSU and Big XII CC Games?

LiveLaughLove
12/1/2010, 11:44 AM
I got to thinking about the total lopsidedness of our record with OSU and Bob's excellent record in the Big XII CCG, and wondering why that is.

My theory is that OSU screwed up by wanting their game with us at the end of the season instead of more in the middle.

Blackmon being banged up and their whining about it, made me realize it. Attrition.

OU recruits far more depth than most anybody except Texas (which we play early in the season). As the year goes on and people get banged up and hurt, we can absorb that far more than most teams.

Of course, there are fluke years like last year where even OU couldn't deal with the losses of key players, but for the most part we can. They can't.

Missouri can't, KSU can't, etc.

Which leads me to this last CCG and Martinez being hurt. Is Nebraska's depth of talent really back to the old Nebraska? Or is it a pretender with a good frontline of players, but not much depth?

I admit, I don't follow them any more to know. Losing your starting QB is going to hurt anybody in the immediate. I just don't know, but I think it's partly why Bob's record is so good in this game.

It's not the whole reason for OSU's lousy record against us (mainly they just suck), but I think they have made a grave tactical error by pushing for this game to be at the end of the season and not the middle.

Fine by me.

Aries
12/1/2010, 11:51 AM
I agree that key injuries and depth can have a big impact on the outcome of games, but I'm not convinced timing has that much to do with it. It seems just as possible that a player could be injured early in the season, and recover in time for a late season game. Without checking any trends, I would guess that WHEN they happen pretty much comes down to luck.

Joe
12/1/2010, 12:35 PM
I also was thinking about this, not so much the injury/depth angle, though. Bob's teams almost always get better toward the end of the year, after struggling a bit in the middle of the season. At least that's how it's looked to me. OSU wanted center stage with big brother on Thanksgiving weekend. Well, they got it. Sometimes we even lube up for them so as not to permanently damage them; I'm afraid they had to take it dry this year. Sucks for them.

SoonerNutt
12/1/2010, 12:57 PM
I agree that key injuries and depth can have a big impact on the outcome of games, but I'm not convinced timing has that much to do with it. It seems just as possible that a player could be injured early in the season, and recover in time for a late season game. Without checking any trends, I would guess that WHEN they happen pretty much comes down to luck.

on a case-by-case basis, sure. Blackmon could have twisted his ankle any week. But it's really not so much a theory, but a fact, that teams are generally more banged up at the end of the season. Playing games week in and week out takes a toll on players bodies, and even the guys that are "healthy" are not 100%. You are just more likely to have more injuries to deal with in November than you are in September.

No question, having good depth and a deep rotation will benifit a team late in the season more than it will early in the season.

texaspokieokie
12/1/2010, 01:13 PM
on a case-by-case basis, sure. Blackmon could have twisted his ankle any week. But it's really not so much a theory, but a fact, that teams are generally more banged up at the end of the season. Playing games week in and week out takes a toll on players bodies, and even the guys that are "healthy" are not 100%. You are just more likely to have more injuries to deal with in November than you are in September.

No question, having good depth and a deep rotation will benifit a team late in the season more than it will early in the season.

i think it applies to both teams in any given game.

last year it applied to OU all season. Gresham & Bradford.

nobody could replace a Blackmon @ the end of the season.

LiveLaughLove
12/1/2010, 02:47 PM
i think it applies to both teams in any given game.

last year it applied to OU all season. Gresham & Bradford.

nobody could replace a Blackmon @ the end of the season.

I respectfully disagree with the replacing Blackmon part.

Of course, you don't replace them with equal talent, but an OU can replace them with a say Cameron Kenney.

Maybe not as good, but good enough to help win the game.

That's my point. OSU couldn't replace him. OU can. And late in the season it's more likely a need than earlier.

Of course, game to game anyone can get hurt, but the trend has to be that as the season goes on, players get hurt more.

MeMyself&Me
12/1/2010, 03:02 PM
OU's severe domination in this series predates the game's move to T-day weekend. I mean, that move is a fairly recent development in the series and OSU only has 16 total wins.

LiveLaughLove
12/1/2010, 03:19 PM
OU's severe domination in this series predates the game's move to T-day weekend. I mean, that move is a fairly recent development in the series and OSU only has 16 total wins.

True. My point on this is with the record as lopsided as its been, and with OSU wanting it moved to later, they are hurting themselves and making it more likely the lopsided-ness will continue.

They should want it in the middle to earlier in the year.

Plus, they could be more likely able to bounce back from the loss if it were earlier.

But the allure of the spotlight is too much for them. They are moths drawn in to OU's bright light, only to have their little wings burned off and their smoldering carcass dropped in a heap of all of the other dried out and decayed bodies.

texaspokieokie
12/1/2010, 05:13 PM
I respectfully disagree with the replacing Blackmon part.

Of course, you don't replace them with equal talent, but an OU can replace them with a say Cameron Kenney.

Maybe not as good, but good enough to help win the game.

That's my point. OSU couldn't replace him. OU can. And late in the season it's more likely a need than earlier.

Of course, game to game anyone can get hurt, but the trend has to be that as the season goes on, players get hurt more.

you mean to tell me if osu had had kenney, he could've replaced blackmon ???
i don't know about their 2nd teamers, but it's possible they have someone as good as kenney.

usaosooner
12/1/2010, 05:17 PM
Well both teams would be full strength if it was early in the season but I like it at the end. Bedlam should be in cold weather JMO

bluedogok
12/1/2010, 05:46 PM
One reason why the Tech-* game was moved up is that the Whorns wanted a chance to recover from a potential loss since it is easier to overcome an early season loss and still be in contention rather than a late season loss. That's why Tech played Weber State and * played FAU late instead of each other.

Jacie
12/1/2010, 06:27 PM
If moving the whorn/sand aggie game to an early date was a deliberate move by sa*et to give them an edge then it worked. They have managed a pair of 10-point victories playing tech during what used to be their time for nonconference games.

Now imagine how different the score of OUr game vs. Utah State would be if the Sooners played them last week instead of o-state . . .

cyclonesooner
12/1/2010, 06:32 PM
I've always wondered what the OU-* series record would be were the game played at the end of the schedule when OU is usually peaking ?