PDA

View Full Version : Your First OU-NU Experience??

PLaw
12/1/2010, 08:24 AM
Mine? I was 11 and it was 1971. Dad got us into the game on Sherriff's passes that he got from an old bookie on the North Base. We had driven in from SE New Mexico to be at my grandmother's for Thanksgiving. Dad's sisters and brothers all had legitimate tickets.

When we got passed the ticket booth, Dad pulled me into the head and tore the Sherriff's pass from my coat. He told me to put it into my pocket and not to show it to anybody. Then, we headed to section 22, row 71(?, top row). Right in the middle of the student section. Needless to say, I heard a few new words that day.

The South wind blew hard and cold that day. You would hear "We're No. 1" or GO BIG RED from both fans depending on the score. It was a great day, except for the final score. So many great athletes on the field.

BIG BOOMER!

Flagstaffsooner
12/1/2010, 08:30 AM
I was 15 at the 71 game. My dad had to hold me back after the game. I was gonna kill some of those aholes with the the red cowboy hats.

MojoRisen
12/1/2010, 08:31 AM
Cold as hell- drank whiskey next to an indian! Live anyway

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/1/2010, 08:37 AM
I first OU-NU game that I experienced in person was the 2000 game. I was a junior in Pride, meaning that I had Blake my first year, and I just soaked up everything that was going on. One of my favorite games in Norman with the other being 2008 Texas Tech.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/1/2010, 08:42 AM
2000! :D I was 16. I remember turning to my friend when NU went up 14-0 and saying DAMN! Then the route was on from there! GOOD TIMES!!!

BOOMER!!!!

oudavid1
12/1/2010, 08:45 AM
8 years old in 2000.

The night before, i snuck out on the my driveway and asked God for us to win.

I cant even begin to tell you.

Ill never forget Heupul to Fagan.

Collier11
12/1/2010, 08:46 AM
2000, I was 19. I stormed the field and nearly got crushed by the field goal posts, I didnt get maced though.

TUSooner
12/1/2010, 08:49 AM
I was 14 at the '71 Game of the Century. That loss twisted my guts, even after we got a measure of revenge in later years. That is my earliest memory of an OU / NU game in person, though I must have been to a few before that since Dad had season tickets all thru the 60s-- NW corner (sec 12?) -- and took me to most of the games. I seem to remember watching a game on TV at my cousins' house in the '60s. NU won, I think, but we were running in and out of the house allday so I'm not sure. :O

sooner rick
12/1/2010, 09:00 AM
1979, remember Sims running wild all day long!

Soonersince57
12/1/2010, 09:26 AM
1975. We had the winning streak broken by Kansas, just beat Mizzery on Joe Washington's long run, and the Huskers came in at #2 I think and we had dropped to #8 or so. Stomped a mud hole in them at 35-10 and went on to play Meatchicken in Orange Bowl. I remember having a brand new suede coat and getting blasted on the shoulder by an orange. Stain never came out.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2010, 09:30 AM
some of you are old

Wishboned
12/1/2010, 09:36 AM
I've never been to an OU-Nebraska game live.

My favorite experience though was in 1985. I was stationed in Korea, and one of the guys in my platoon was from Nebraska. We'd been trash talking all week. After Jackson ran that reverse 88 yards he got really quiet.

rekamrettuB
12/1/2010, 09:45 AM
'88. I would have been 11, almost 12. It was f'n cold. We were in the north endzone. We had tix on the 10th row or so but ended up on the 1st row when folks started clearing out at halftime. Again, it was very cold and windy. Charles Thompson broke his leg right in front of me. I was crushed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2010, 09:49 AM
not as much as he was

Pricetag
12/1/2010, 10:33 AM
Mine was the 1992 game in Norman, my first OU game ever. The first half was pretty good. OU drove repeatedly into the Nebraska red zone in the first half, but settled for three field goals. OU trailed 10-9 at the half. Nebraska killed us in the second half, and ended up winning 33-9.

The boo birds were out in force in the second. It seemed like they booed every time when OU went on offense and Cale Gundy trotted out there. They finally cheered when Steve Collins was put in for mop up duty. Tommie Frasier, a freshman, appeared in the same capacity for Nebraska.

The game was a bummer, and then on the way home, my friend's dad's buddy threw up in the car, and they never stopped to clean it up, so we had to smell puke all the way back to Tulsa.

NMSooner'80
12/1/2010, 10:37 AM
First live one for me was in 1973. That's the game in which NU never had a snap across the 50 yard line. Steve Davis had a 47-yard TD on a QB sneak that somehow broke wide open for the score. The OU defense that day was incredible.

NU did have one play that crossed the 50, but their tight end fumbled the ball to us. That was it.

Cornfed
12/1/2010, 10:53 AM
I 've never been fortunate enought to attend an OU Neb Game, but I think like another above some of my best memories were in the Marines watching the games with Nebraska fans.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2010, 10:55 AM
'I never thought it would happen to me........' :pop:

OUMallen
12/1/2010, 10:57 AM
I first OU-NU game that I experienced in person was the 2000 game. I was a junior in Pride, meaning that I had Blake my first year, and I just soaked up everything that was going on. One of my favorite games in Norman with the other being 2008 Texas Tech.

Same here except I wasn't in the pride. I was a junior. Woke up in the Beta house to Boomer Sooner blaring at 7am. Kids down the hall were already drinking beers. :D

texaspokieokie
12/1/2010, 10:59 AM
'88. I would have been 11, almost 12. It was f'n cold. We were in the north endzone. We had tix on the 10th row or so but ended up on the 1st row when folks started clearing out at halftime. Again, it was very cold and windy. Charles Thompson broke his leg right in front of me. I was crushed.

that was my first neb game. weather was horrible, & so was game.

we were also in the north end & stupid enuff to stay for whole game.

numbers i remember are 36 deg & wind chill of 9 deg.

would not sit thru an entire game like that again.

BillyBall
12/1/2010, 11:02 AM
1990, Cale Gundy pimped the scene.

soonervegas
12/1/2010, 11:03 AM
27-7

1985 South Endzone. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. Everytime OU scored I tried to race down the stairs to throw oranges but could never get there in time.

sooner518
12/1/2010, 11:04 AM
1996 - I was 14 and sat in the north endzone when Nebraska killed us in Boo's first year 73-21.

2004 - My senior year at OU and Callenberger moved into FG range with 3 seconds on the clock to prevent us from shutting their asses out. That was a fun one. 30-3

soonervegas
12/1/2010, 11:05 AM
Hey Geezers....

Why did OU play in Lincoln in 86 and 87?

virginiasooner
12/1/2010, 11:07 AM
1979 -- cold, dreary day, up until Mike Babb had that TOTALLY AWESOME interception which stopped a Nebraska drive.

Dr. Jelly Finger
12/1/2010, 11:14 AM

My favorite experience though was in 1985. I was stationed in Korea, and one of the guys in my platoon was from Nebraska. We'd been trash talking all week. After Jackson ran that reverse 88 yards he got really quiet.

This was my first one in person. I was 10 and sat in my grandparents seats with my older brother. Freezing cold that day but watching KJ on that reverse made the temperature irrelevant to the Sooner Nation.

2000 was the last one that I attended. I am still disappointed that we took the goal posts down. Made us look quite Aggie in front of God and everybody.

NMSooner'80
12/1/2010, 11:38 AM
1979 -- cold, dreary day, up until Mike Babb had that TOTALLY AWESOME interception which stopped a Nebraska drive.

That was my last game to attend as an OU student (senior year). Mr. Sims was rather awesome that day as well. That's also still the best game I've ever seen in person.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2010, 11:38 AM
some of you are old

This is true, but I've explored the alternative and it is grim (hint: no more OU games).

'71 was the first OU-NU game I saw on TV. '75 first game I attended. I felt better at the end of the '75 game.

ouleaf
12/1/2010, 11:40 AM
2001 in Lincoln with the Pride. One of the coldest games I've ever been to for sure, and the first time Jason White blew out his knee.

opksooner
12/1/2010, 11:51 AM
Norman. 1952.

We won, 34 - 13. It was only Nebraska back then. No big deal.

boomersooner82
12/1/2010, 11:57 AM
1990: I was 8 and it was also my first OU game to ever attend. I don't remember much except sitting in the south end zone, winning pretty convincingly, and it being the last victory over them before losing 7 straight.

I went back in '96 for that whooping and sat behind the most obnoxious Nebraska fan ever. Because of that I've always had a chuckle when they try to say they're the classiest fanbase.

MrJimBeam
12/1/2010, 12:40 PM
1985 was the first live OU/NU game. My dad had been taking me to games since '75 but he let my brother and I have the tickets and he drove around Norman listening on the radio. There was nothing like Nebraska week. This game always meant so much to me growing up, I'm sorry to see it end forever.

budbarrybob
12/1/2010, 12:45 PM
Live. 2000. Greatness.

SoonerStud615
12/1/2010, 12:57 PM
2006. Big XII Championship. 16 years old, cold as balls. My parents and I got heckled allllll they way into the stadium by the newly Callahan-ized Huskers. We had seats in the endzone, nothing sweeter than watching them start a drive right in front of us, backs to the endzone and go all the way down to score.

OUMallen
12/1/2010, 01:28 PM
2006. Big XII Championship. 16 years old, cold as balls. My parents and I got heckled allllll they way into the stadium by the newly Callahan-ized Huskers. We had seats in the endzone, nothing sweeter than watching them start a drive right in front of us, backs to the endzone and go all the way down to score.

They were huge jerks that year. Winning with Paul Thompson was sooooooooo sweet.

Reddoggie
12/1/2010, 01:53 PM
They were huge jerks that year. Winning with Paul Thompson was sooooooooo sweet.

I got harassed by drunks as well at that game even as a Nebraska fan. No problems with OU fans that night, just the ********* 27 year old crowd that probably are from Omaha and graduated from Creighton. Had one giving my sister a hard time that entire night. Tough night to deal with, all in all.

Salt City Sooner
12/1/2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Geezers....

Why did OU play in Lincoln in 86 and 87?
Don't know if 43 qualifies as geezer status, but as for the question, there was a schedule overhaul that year (similar to what's going on next year) but the reason they attempted to do so was so that nobody would have to go to OU & NU in the same season. Having to go to Lincoln back to back was just a quirk in said re-scheduling.

Dan Thompson
12/1/2010, 02:49 PM
Never been to a OU-NU game, but I remember Johnny Rogers running for the TD down the sidelines to win the game.

fwsooner22
12/1/2010, 03:01 PM
1983 I think. Threw oranges from about 50 rows up. Hit IM Hipp in the head during a play. Yup, proud moment.

That's what Wild Turkey does to ya. Wild Turkey, oranges and OU football. Wonder if I went to class on Monday. Naaaah.

soonerbub
12/1/2010, 03:04 PM
'83 here (I was a pup at 6). I can remember the rain and the score :(

'85 north EZ still remember Keith & Jamelle runnin at us--also disappointed they got the fluke TD in the final minute

'88 miserable day that was made worse by the off season :(

'94 w my girlfriend was close (the last time we saw the 5-2 D)

2000 best day @ Owen Field there ever was--I was by some huskers and everything was cordial but when they got up 14-0 they said "we thought this would happen" and I said "it's still early ;)"

2004 the "pop gun" game--nearly got in a fight after the game in the SE corner w some of the "new" husker fans. Callyboy killed the honor and tradition of this rivalry more than anyone else ever did :(

Sad that the "new" huskers have taken over--it was special but after they jumped ship **** em I say--not gonna live in the past like the huskers seem to nowadays

ousooner1980
12/1/2010, 03:10 PM
88' was my first OU/Neb Game...If I remember right wasn't there freezing rain?

05' Return of AD

06' Snuck a Liter of Jack in a Camelpack...freezing *** cold... Thompson to Gresham!!!

PMKMDJ
12/1/2010, 04:41 PM
I'm sure I was at games before in lincoln, but the first one I remember is 86. I was crying in the stands because I had to go to school on Monday and it was going to be brutal after all the smack I had talked leading up to the game. Thankfully, KJ bailed me out with the catch and Lashar made the kick.

soonersweetie
12/1/2010, 05:01 PM

That's my most memorable. I was a freshman at OU but instead of sitting in the student section, I chose to sit in the North Endzone with my dad. When Jackson cut loose on that reverse, I've never seen my dad jump and down and get sooo excited. That was a special moment with him.

Second best, is 2000. Again, there with my Dad. Just an amazing game from an amazing team!

sooner59
12/1/2010, 05:21 PM
I wish I could have been at the 2000 game. My first OU-NU game was in 2004 when it was cold and rainy and the student section was throwing the foam O' and U's.

soonerbrat
12/1/2010, 05:28 PM
I don't remember when my first one was!!

but my favorite was 2000...that was my first year to have season tickets (except when i was in college and when my ex husband was in med school) and I remember after Nebraska's 2nd touchdown, at first I was really nervous and for some reason, this air of calm came over me and I told the guy next to me..."we are gonna win this game" I have never heard the crowd louder. Texas Tech game was about the same caliber of loudness, those are my 2 favorite games ever...

IB4OU2
12/1/2010, 05:39 PM
1971 game of the Century...I was 17 and with my Dad.

cyclonesooner
12/1/2010, 06:56 PM
My first live OU-Neb. game was the 1973 27-0 butt-kicking the Selmon brothers and company administered to the Tony Davis led Huskers. Don't think the huskers crossed midfield the whole game. It was damn impressive !

badger
12/1/2010, 07:05 PM
2001, my freshman year. We just came off a national title and had won all of our games thus far and were ranked #1 in the initial BCS polls... lee corso and gameday were in town but in an area that had absolutely no crowd except the OU band rehearsing on the crowd and early arrival student section huskers. (yes, they were chanting "overrated" at us).

Eric Crouch trick played his way to a Heisman and poor Nate Hybl just wasn't in Rose Bowl winning form yet.

My first home game Nebbish experience was much more awesome - oranges flying everywhere in 2004. Alas, my gameday started on a shocking note, when a big burly Nebraska guy deliberately ran a locking drill into a ruf-nek pledge on the sideline only a few feet away from me. Bully husker drive him right into the brick wall separating our student section from the field. Nebbish bully stared him down a few seconds (pledge looked up at him from the ground, blood starting to trickle out of his mouth) then trotted away. Any reports out there that this was not deliberate or that the nebraska guy sought medical assistance for the ruf-nek are false.

They deserved every orange that got pelted at them that day after that incident. Only wish we could have shut them out instead of orange-pelting them into field goal range :mad:

Uncle Ernie
12/1/2010, 07:32 PM
1983 I think. Threw oranges from about 50 rows up. Hit IM Hipp in the head during a play. Yup, proud moment.

That's what Wild Turkey does to ya. Wild Turkey, oranges and OU football. Wonder if I went to class on Monday. Naaaah.

My first live game was as a freshman in '75. OU pulled the bugeaters pants down in front of their girlfriends that Saturday. I remember being hammered and my friend Mike driving his Volkswagon the wrong way east on Lindsay after the game towards the liquor store the would sell to us on Classen. No blood was being shed so the Norman cops just laughed.

That Turkey you drank had some claws! Hipp was a 70s bugeater. Maybe Rozier? I shouldn't talk. I swear Sims played as a freshman in the '75 bugeater game and then redshirted the next year? We were drinking 151 rum and trying to contain some grass fires in our section.

And we played two years in a row in Lincoln CUZ WE WANTED TO!

MyT Oklahoma
12/1/2010, 07:35 PM
The 2006 Big 12 Championship Game. It was cold as all get out but worth staying for every single minute of it.

oudivesherpa
12/1/2010, 07:56 PM
1971. Section 31, Row 23. The Joe Wylie clip waqs right in front of me.

ouwasp
12/1/2010, 08:41 PM
1983.....it was a cold monsoon... game was pretty close between #1 Nebraska and a very average OU team. A lot of Sooner fans were sporting "Screw NU" hats...

Sooner Cal
12/1/2010, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=PLaw;3062924]

When we got passed the ticket booth, Dad pulled me into the head and tore the Sherriff's pass from my coat. He told me to put it into my pocket and not to show it to anybody. Then, we headed to section 22, row 71(?, top row). Right in the middle of the student section. Needless to say, I heard a few new words that day.

You were just down from me. I was on the top row at the 50 yard line. I has the same seat for the 70 and 71 seasons. It was great because you could lean against the wall. Ok sine we stood all game anyway.

OUNASH
12/1/2010, 09:37 PM
1973 - OU 27 NU 0. Nebraska did not cross the fifty yard line all day. Steve Davis took a QB sneak for a TD. Great day. We beat Nebraska and Texas by a combined score of 80-13.

UncleFester
12/1/2010, 10:02 PM
My freshman year in '83. It had been a long season. Ohio State butt kicked us. Missouri shut us out. And that fall Oklahoma raised the drinking age to 21, revoking the legal beer-drinking privileges I had enjoyed immensely for 8 months.

So honestly, I have to say the NU game was the highlight of the year. I remember being more in awe of Nebraska than hating them, and thinking we got screwed on the no-call on the end-zone pass interference on OU's last play (the ball was tipped, but we couldn't tell).

What I remember most from that day is that every stinking Husker fan brought a Whomp-It doll with them. Nerdz.

texas bandman
12/1/2010, 11:47 PM
1969 game when NU held Steve Owens under 100 yards tarnishing what was a great Heisman year. I was in the aisle in the southwest corner as a boy scout usher. At the end of the game I was at the bottom of the stadium right by the ramp where the the players left the field. From the look on his face and body language, I'm pretty sure that Steve Owens would have given back his Heisman for a win that day.

Most memorable NU game was the 1971 Game of the Century. I was with my Dad in the student section...he took a night class so he could get tickets. (I think that was the only reason he ever took a class at OU). I'd never heard my Dad say as many cuss words as he did right after Johnny Rodgers' punt return for the TD. He pretty much spent the rest of the game cussin NU and the refs. Fun times.

soonerbub
12/1/2010, 11:54 PM
That's funny bandman...my Dad enrolled in the PhD program, got his tickets, and dropped out right after sometime in the 70s

sooner59
12/2/2010, 01:01 AM
The 2006 Big 12 Championship Game. It was cold as all get out but worth staying for every single minute of it.

Yep, there was an ice storm before that game. The entire stadium was covered an inch thick with ice. Had to stand on ice and freeze my feet the whole game. Couldn't sit or I would get a cold and wet butt. I camped out in the bathroom between quarters where they had heat. At kickoff, it was 19 degrees. Why did we pay Big 12 CGs there again?

Reddoggie
12/2/2010, 02:21 AM

My first home game Nebbish experience was much more awesome - oranges flying everywhere in 2004. Alas, my gameday started on a shocking note, when a big burly Nebraska guy deliberately ran a locking drill into a ruf-nek pledge on the sideline only a few feet away from me. Bully husker drive him right into the brick wall separating our student section from the field. Nebbish bully stared him down a few seconds (pledge looked up at him from the ground, blood starting to trickle out of his mouth) then trotted away. Any reports out there that this was not deliberate or that the nebraska guy sought medical assistance for the ruf-nek are false.

They deserved every orange that got pelted at them that day after that incident. Only wish we could have shut them out instead of orange-pelting them into field goal range :mad:

Not so fast, buddy. That was not deliberate I saw it unravel. It was your rail-roading accosting Athletic Director, Castiglione who swore that it was.

Piware
12/2/2010, 02:43 AM
First live game was in 1977 - the stadium was actually vibrating as we were playing Nebraska for all the marbles (again). Never missed a home game against NU after that.

My favorite was the 2000 game. My daughter and I were in the South end zone watching the goal posts come down when a cop from Moore sprayed the pepper spray, the wind caught it and we got maced too. We didn't even care!
After waiting 13 years, no one cared!

I still have the picture of Curtis Fagan with everyone in the stands signaling touchdown (except Lee Corso) on my office wall.

badger
12/2/2010, 05:15 PM
Not so fast, buddy. That was not deliberate I saw it unravel. It was your rail-roading accosting Athletic Director, Castiglione who swore that it was.

Double not so fast, Corso. It was deliberate, or else other Nebraska players who were running the exact same drill in the exact same area would have hit the ruf neks pledges first. All of them were locking up to the sideline but unlocking in time to not hit anyone, except for that bozo, who not only knocked the kid over, but stood over him and stared him down. Bet that made him feel like a big tough guy.

I not only saw it, but I was on the field and only standing a few feet away. You don't take your eyes off big burly linemen who are doing locking drills in front of you. I guarantee that I saw everything that happened and that what I recounted above is 100 percent accurate.

PLaw
12/3/2010, 12:31 PM
1979, remember Sims running wild all day long!

Yep, that was the day Billy hit the first play from scrimmage for 80. Unfortunately, the zebras called OU for holding and wiped the TD off of the board. No worries, OU rolled.

BOOMER

NMSooner'80
12/3/2010, 12:50 PM
Yep, that was the day Billy hit the first play from scrimmage for 80. Unfortunately, the zebras called OU for holding and wiped the TD off of the board. No worries, OU rolled.

BOOMER

That play still makes me sick - what I can still picture clearly in my mind (even 31 years later) was seeing that Nebraska DB run up next to Freddie Nixon, who was behind the play, and take a dive as if he'd been clipped. And to make matters worse, Watts threw an INT in the endzone not long after.

That was a 17-14 game, but it seemed like we dominated more than that. Either way, it was a great way to spend my final home game as an undergrad in the stadium.

I Am Right
12/3/2010, 02:26 PM
A Lot of NU fans going through Ardmore right now

NMSooner'80
12/3/2010, 07:12 PM
One nice development since the 90's is that NU isn't recruiting Oklahoma kids very well anymore. The last one was that Dillard kid from Jenks. But about 20 years ago, they raided Oklahoma something fierce.

Back when I was a student and we went 4-1 against NU, they never came close to getting anyone out of Oklahoma. Texas was even kind of uncharted territory until they got Rick Berns out of Wichita Falls and Junior Miller out of Midland.

PLaw
12/3/2010, 09:26 PM
One nice development since the 90's is that NU isn't recruiting Oklahoma kids very well anymore. The last one was that Dillard kid from Jenks. But about 20 years ago, they raided Oklahoma something fierce.

Back when I was a student and we went 4-1 against NU, they never came close to getting anyone out of Oklahoma. Texas was even kind of uncharted territory until they got Rick Berns out of Wichita Falls and Junior Miller out of Midland.

I will never forget Berns' TV interview after they upset OU - he said he was going to speed all the way home through Oklahoma at the Christmas break. I hope the highway patrol nailed his ***.

BOOMER

Always_Sooner
12/3/2010, 09:29 PM
First one I remember is in 1990 when OU upset Nebraska the only win Gibbs got over those children of the corn, but to their credit they were as close to being unbeatable as I ever saw for a 2-3 year span.