PDA

View Full Version : Venables not going anywhere

Rocko
11/30/2010, 07:58 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but this was quoted from ESPN's CFB page on one of the twitters.

Brent Venables: 'I'm not interested in any job. I don't want any job. I've got a great job here.'

CrimsonRez
11/30/2010, 08:00 PM
****....jk :D

SunnySooner
11/30/2010, 08:02 PM
Isn't that what all coaches say the day before they announce their job at a new school?

I hope BV stays, but he has to do what's best for him and his family, and that might mean a HC job somewhere else.

SoonerMom2
11/30/2010, 08:02 PM
Never could see him going to Miami. I am glad he is staying because he has really come into his own as a defensive coordinator. Every week you see progress in our young team speaks volumes for Venerables and his coaches.

sendbaht
11/30/2010, 08:05 PM
This is great new. I like this guys passion for OU.

beegee
11/30/2010, 08:06 PM
Isn't that what all coaches say the day before they announce their job at a new school?

zactly...

BlownGP
11/30/2010, 08:12 PM
nick saban??

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/30/2010, 08:12 PM
FIRE BV!!!..... jus' playin' ;)

i like the guy. hope he stays

BASSooner
11/30/2010, 08:20 PM
hope he stays. he makes OUr LBs look goooooood. One of OUr best recruiters too.

soonerx7
11/30/2010, 08:20 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but this was quoted from ESPN's CFB page on one of the twitters.

Brent Venables: 'I'm not interested in any job. I don't want any job. I've got a great job here.'

I saw on ESPN that John Gruden "CHUCKIE" was Miami's first choice and he was suppose to be in contact with them.
HOPE SO!

Scott D
11/30/2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know Sunny, Bud Foster says that nearly every year. He seems content to be the DC at VaTech and potentially Beamer's successor should Frank decide to call it quits.

yermom
11/30/2010, 09:38 PM
obviously some of them mean it, but all the coaches that leave say that too :D

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 09:38 PM
I'd take BV's comment with a grain of salt. I'm sure he does love his job right now but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't give Miami some serious consideration.

soonervegas
11/30/2010, 09:44 PM
He will be the next head coach at.......

OU

Then maybe he can hire a better defensive coordinator.

SoonerPride93
11/30/2010, 09:54 PM
I like the coordinators when they let loose and dont go into a shell in their play calling.

goingoneight
11/30/2010, 10:51 PM
Another year, BV issues a statement saying such.

Next time someone score a TD on us, you betcha we'll hear how he can't get a job anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Unless you're ready to jump ship and become a HC, combined with a major offer on the table (I.E. an OU/ND/UT/Ala/etc), why wouldn't one stay at OU as a coordinator? Is a HC gig at East Popcorn State gonna really get your name out there?

Reddoggie
11/30/2010, 11:55 PM
If he's such a good DC, why is your defense 10th in the Big 12?

usaosooner
12/1/2010, 12:12 AM

:pop:

I:gary:

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2010, 12:17 AM

If he's so terrible, why is his defense usually playing in the Big 12 championship?

mdklatt
12/1/2010, 12:19 AM

Stats are for losers...to the worst team in the Big 12 South. At home. :pop:

Okie35
12/1/2010, 12:26 AM
I saw on ESPN that John Gruden "CHUCKIE" was Miami's first choice and he was suppose to be in contact with them.
HOPE SO!

http://hurricanesportsnation.com/john-gruden-details/

Widescreen
12/1/2010, 12:29 AM

What are you talking about? We're 4th in scoring defense and 5th in total defense.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/conf%20stats/2010000025354TD.HTML

And given that we're second in scoring offense and total offense, I think we are OK.

rainiersooner
12/1/2010, 12:32 AM
Another year, BV issues a statement saying such.

Next time someone score a TD on us, you betcha we'll hear how he can't get a job anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Unless you're ready to jump ship and become a HC, combined with a major offer on the table (I.E. an OU/ND/UT/Ala/etc), why wouldn't one stay at OU as a coordinator? Is a HC gig at East Popcorn State gonna really get your name out there?

I think Chuck Long learned this lesson. And now he's unemployed.

Okie35
12/1/2010, 12:32 AM
What are you talking about? We're 4th in scoring defense and 5th in total defense.

And if someone were to really take the stats from our last stretches of road games it'll probably be at the top defensively.

NorCal Sooner
12/1/2010, 12:39 AM
Doesn't BV make about 425K a year? He does have a good job.

unbiasedtruth
12/1/2010, 12:52 AM
did I miss kansas firing chuck long after 1 season at Kansas??

as far as the Miami job.... no on campus stadium and average draw at home games is about 30-35k..... watched the USF/Canes game Saturday and couldnt believe all the empty seats....

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2010, 09:21 AM

I still don't understand why coaches say this stuff in the media and people take it so serious..He has to say that kind of stuff..

Soonerntxs
12/1/2010, 09:55 AM
PESN just retracted the last reported story by issuing the following statement from BV to say; "I'm tired of winning, tired of coaching, tired of living in Oklahoma. I wish Bob would follow SF's posters advise and fired me after the aTm game..and I wish I could just move to UNT and be the HMFIC for $26,000/yr."

oumartin
12/1/2010, 09:58 AM

Brent Venables: 'I'm not interested in any job. I can't get any other job. I've got a great job security with Bob here.'

fixed it for ya

KantoSooner
12/1/2010, 11:07 AM
did I miss kansas firing chuck long after 1 season at Kansas??

as far as the Miami job.... no on campus stadium and average draw at home games is about 30-35k..... watched the USF/Canes game Saturday and couldnt believe all the empty seats....

They could solve that by offering 4 Loko and Purple Drank samples along with real-life 'Get Out Of Jail Free' cards.

Alternatively, they could just offer day passes from the Dade County Jail.

soonermix
12/1/2010, 11:26 AM
instead of complaining about venables lets get on some other boards and start rumors about him becoming the next head coach at said board. get the fan base really excited about him and get that guy a HC job he deserves it!

soonerinabilene
12/1/2010, 02:03 PM
per fox sports, if gruden says no, miami is interested in utah's coach, uconns coach', and mike stoops. they only want a guy with head coach experienc

TXBOOMER
12/1/2010, 02:12 PM
BV is solid. He can stay here as long as he wants as far as I am concerned.

agoo758
12/1/2010, 03:15 PM
I think Chuck Long learned this lesson. And now he's unemployed.

Fired from KU?:eek: :eek: Time for me to make a visit to wikipediaville.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 03:34 PM
If he's so terrible, why is his defense usually playing in the Big 12 championship?

Thank god for a high powered offense in a league void of defense, right?

Widescreen
12/1/2010, 03:54 PM

And given that we're second in scoring offense and total offense, I think we are OK.

I guess Reddoggie had no response to this.

mightysooner
12/1/2010, 04:24 PM
I wasn't aware that Miami expressed any interest in Venables but whatev...

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2010, 04:27 PM
Why isn't Greg Davis getting any looks?

Widescreen
12/1/2010, 04:31 PM
Why isn't Greg Davis getting any looks?

Oh, he's getting looks. Mainly from Texas fans.

SoonerBBall
12/1/2010, 05:34 PM
fixed it for ya

Obvious troll continues to become more obvious.

olevetonahill
12/1/2010, 06:37 PM
"The Donald" said Miami should get off their *** and hire Leach :D

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=12285372

olevetonahill
12/1/2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00644/trumpnote3_644808c.jpg

SoonerMom2
12/1/2010, 06:46 PM
Heard that on the radio and could not quit laughing -- thought it was hilarious he wrote his comments on the newspaper.

delhalew
12/1/2010, 08:58 PM
Have you guys heard this tripe over the years that Leach doesn't "interview well"?
Do people want to win or not?
I translate that to mean he comes in and says, "This is what I need to win...point A, point B, point C. If you're committed to winning call me." That probably turns off limp-wristed office types.

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2010, 10:34 PM
Thank god for a high powered offense in a league void of defense, right?

So you must be a KW fan, right?

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2010, 10:45 PM
Have you guys heard this tripe over the years that Leach doesn't "interview well"?
Do people want to win or not?
I translate that to mean he comes in and says, "This is what I need to win...point A, point B, point C. If you're committed to winning call me." That probably turns off limp-wristed office types.

Could be. But it also could mean that he gives every indication that he will keep your public relations officer up all night trying to bail the university out of trouble. Dunno.

As a private university, Miami has to keep its donors happy. And despite what many think, Miami's donors are not sports freaks. Donna's job is to rake in money and make the university look good. Not sure how Leach fits in there.

Oh, to answer your question: Do people want to win or not?

Which people? Fans who do not attend the university and don't donate? Members of the sports media?

Who cares what they want?

OUinFLA
12/1/2010, 11:35 PM
Could be. But it also could mean that he gives every indication that he will keep your public relations officer up all night trying to bail the university out of trouble. Dunno.

As a private university, Miami has to keep its donors happy. And despite what many think, Miami's donors are not sports freaks. Donna's job is to rake in money and make the university look good. Not sure how Leach fits in there.

Oh, to answer your question: Do people want to win or not?

Which people? Fans who do not attend the university and don't donate? Members of the sports media?

Who cares what they want?

Apparently, UM cares. Ex coach cleans the team up from their thugginess and doesnt win enough games = "You're Fired"

Funny thing is, it was newsworthy down here this past year when UM stated they prefered to become the "Stanford of the East" academically, rather than promote their ability to win football games.

I guess that didnt go over very well with the donors/alum.

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2010, 11:43 PM
Apparently, UM cares. Ex coach cleans the team up from their thugginess and doesnt win enough games = "You're Fired"

Funny thing is, it was newsworthy down here this past year when UM stated they prefered to become the "Stanford of the East" academically, rather than promote their ability to win football games.

I guess that didnt go over very well with the donors/alum.

True, but we don't know how Shannon got along with the muckety-mucks behind the scenes. Regardless, I don't think Donna is going to insert a hothead in as coach to replace Shannon. They're going to want a diplomat.

Well, that's what I'm betting.

Why Donald Trump thinks he should have a say in this is a mystery. As far as Donna is concerned, he's just another dumbass sports fan with an opinion.

OUinFLA
12/2/2010, 09:34 AM
It's an interesting position. UM sits in a county with 5 million population.
A coach could conceivably never leave the county to recruit a talented team.
On the other hand a 5-star from the wintry north only needs to take a ride down South Beach to see the advantages of being a young star in
sunny warm Miami.
As they have proved, a quality coach should lead to a powerhouse perenial team.
I hope Miami makes the right choice. If they could put up with Leach, I think he would turn UM into a top 10 team annually