PDA

View Full Version : A&M to the Cotton Bowl

CrimsonRez
11/30/2010, 06:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5867920

SoonerMarkVA
11/30/2010, 06:19 PM
I don't get that. Seems like it's kinda jumping the gun. But, I guess Cotton has first pick after BCS bid, and if A&M is the team they want, it ain't gettin' any better next week.

Blue
11/30/2010, 06:21 PM
Where would OU go if we lost Sat? Holiday?

SoonerMom2
11/30/2010, 06:30 PM
Alamo Bowl who picks right after the Cotton Bowl now in the new alignment and the Bleacher Report would have us playing Mike Stoops' Arizona squad.

Let's beat NE and go back to the Fiesta Bowl and clobber Stanford!

cccasooner2
11/30/2010, 06:33 PM
As a kid (over 50 years ago), the Cotton was my favorite. It was on right after Mass and just before turkey.

Tigeman
11/30/2010, 06:40 PM
I thought the cotton bowl took the big 12 #2? So the loser of the ccg! Hmmm pressure from aggie politicians maybe?

SoonerMom2
11/30/2010, 06:45 PM
When is the last time A&M was in the Cotton Bowl? Alama Bowl since they moved ahead of the Holiday has wanted OU for years. I would rather go to San Antonio than Dallas but then NE can have our spot at the Alamo Bowl as we go to the Fiesta Bowl.

AggieGirl2005
11/30/2010, 07:04 PM
I thought the cotton bowl took the big 12 #2? So the loser of the ccg! Hmmm pressure from aggie politicians maybe?

Cotton Bowl gets the #2 pick, not the #2 team, and they can choose who they want.

When is the last time A&M was in the Cotton Bowl??
2005. Since you guys went to the MNC, we were bumped up a bowl and a 7-5 A&M played a 9-3 Tennessee. It was not pretty. :( :( :(

Flagstaffsooner
11/30/2010, 07:10 PM
In other news , USM to the Beef O Brady Bowl. WTF is that?

007sooner
11/30/2010, 07:16 PM

I feel like you must have made that up... :eek:

silverwheels
11/30/2010, 07:16 PM
The Big 12 and the Cotton Bowl thought that the loser of the Big 12 CCG would not want to turn around and go back to Dallas a month later, and they'd probably get more money out of A&M than OSU, so there you go. I guess the Holiday Bowl will pick between the Cowboys and Missouri.

sooner59
11/30/2010, 07:19 PM
Where is osu going? If the loser of the game Saturday will have 3 losses. Does the Alamo pick a 2-loss osu over a 3-loss OU? That would be ugly.

silverwheels
11/30/2010, 07:23 PM
It looks like the Alamo wants the loser of the CCG, so OSU is going to either the Holiday or Insight. Missouri will go to the one they don't.

Flagstaffsooner
11/30/2010, 07:28 PM
I feel like you must have made that up... :eek:http://www.stpetersburgbowl.com/
I did not damnit!

meoveryouxinfinity
11/30/2010, 07:34 PM
Cotton bowl doesnt want the loser of Oklahoma/Nebraska cuz the fans will have literally JUST been there for the big XII championship game..

Makes sense if you think about it

olevetonahill
11/30/2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.stpetersburgbowl.com/
I did not damnit!

I bet you did make it up and Now yer just posting Pron links :P

soonerchk
11/30/2010, 07:39 PM

Oh my gravy, that's real???

Kind of makes me nostalgic for the Poulan Weedeater Bowl.

soonerborn45
11/30/2010, 07:41 PM
Fiesta gets the champ
Cotton picks second(more than likely picked A&M because they travel well and would not want to have the loser of the CCG play in their stadium twice)
Alamo picks third (would likely take loser of CCG)
Insight picks fourth (will more than likely take Missouri or OSU)
Holiday picks fifth (will more than likely take the team that did not go to the Insight)

Flagstaffsooner
11/30/2010, 07:57 PM
I bet you did make it up and Now yer just posting Pron links :P
Thats why you keep losing your puter, you keep rubbing your turkey neck on the pooter sites.:D

SoonerMom2
11/30/2010, 08:00 PM
Would rather go to San Antonio than Dallas any day! But I really prefer to go to Glendale this year -- just don't like the idea of the Stanford tree and their obnoxious band we put up with last year at the Sun Bowl. This time making sure we are not staying at the same hotel as the Stanford band who got really obnoxious after they lost! Would be fun to beat Stanford twice in a row in Bowl Games.

sendbaht
11/30/2010, 08:21 PM
we win again and we put the pokes in a bigger hole. Their best season ever and the get a crappyer bowl then last year. Sad to be a poke.

cvsooner
11/30/2010, 08:26 PM
You don't want any part of the Holiday Bowl. I suspect that will be San Diego State and those boys will be fired up ready to knock somebody off...and they will.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 08:30 PM
I bet they draw Alabama, and get whipped.

CrimsonRez
11/30/2010, 08:34 PM
watch them win and say that they could have won the national championship because they beat bama

bikerdood
11/30/2010, 09:18 PM
Alamo Bowl who picks right after the Cotton Bowl now in the new alignment and the Bleacher Report would have us playing Mike Stoops' Arizona squad.

...I don't get it... Why won't Stanford be in the Rose Bowl???

silverwheels
11/30/2010, 09:20 PM
...I don't get it... Why won't Stanford be in the Rose Bowl???

If the Rose Bowl loses a team to the BCS title game, they have to take the highest-ranked non-AQ team to replace them, although it's just for this year. So the Rose Bowl looks like Wisconsin vs. TCU.

Octavian
11/30/2010, 09:22 PM
By A&M's logic, a major beatdown by another SEC school would only increase their desire to join the SEC.

Just watch. Texags will be fun.

yermom
11/30/2010, 09:26 PM
be on the lookout, Ags

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4941/roflbotk1rezq5.jpg

Okie35
12/1/2010, 12:30 AM
By A&M's logic, a major beatdown by another SEC school would only increase their desire to join the SEC.

Just watch. Texags will be fun.

They barely lost to Arkansas w/ JJ starting still and playing terrible. I don't know. It'll be LSU or Alabama. My guess is LSU.

SoonerJack
12/1/2010, 08:22 AM
The Missouri fans up here are pissed that A&M got picked for the Cotton Bowl over them. I don't blame them.

Of course, they are also pissed that OU gets to play in the big 12 ccg over them because they beat OU head to head. I guess the concept of losing the North is lost on them. lol

Sooners78
12/1/2010, 10:17 AM
Who are they likely to play from the SEC? For aTm's sake, I hope they don't get Bama.

HBick
12/1/2010, 02:07 PM
They don't want OU to play in Jerry's World for two games in a row, they think fans won't travel as well.

yermom
12/1/2010, 02:11 PM
hopefully it won't be an issue, but **** the fake Cotton Bowl

PalmBeachSooner
12/1/2010, 02:14 PM

Today's Bleacher Report has us playing WVU in the Fiesta.

soonerinabilene
12/1/2010, 02:21 PM
yeah its gonna be whoever wins the big east in the fiesta, not an at-large. unless auburn or oregon lose this week, then all hell breaks loose.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 02:23 PM

nope!!! Well, yes, they are suppose to take the Big 12 #2 team. But that does not mean it is automatically the loser of the CCG.

I would figure the Cotton Bowl would take Oklahoma State since they beat A&M, have a higher ranking, and a better record.

The loser of the CCG will likely play in the Holiday Bowl.

My predictions (if OU wins) since cotton is taking A&M (Big 12 Standings):

Fiesta: OU (#1)
Cotton: A&M (#4)
Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State (#2)
Insight Bowl: Missouri (#3)
Holiday: Nebraska (#5)
Texas Bowl: Baylor (#6)
Pinstripe Bowl: Kansas State (#7)
TicketCity Bowl: Texas Tech (#8)

If Nebraska Wins:

Fiesta: Nebraska (#1)
Alamo Bowl Oklahoma State (#2)
Holiday: Oklahoma (#5)

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2010, 02:31 PM
nope!!! Well, yes, they are suppose to take the Big 12 #2 team. But that does not mean it is automatically the loser of the CCG.

I would figure the Cotton Bowl would take Oklahoma State since they beat A&M, have a higher ranking, and a better record.

If Nebraska Wins:

I'm confused, how do we drop to 5 in the big 12 when we ahead of A&M and OSU. Does a loss in the ccg count against our regular season.

royalfan5
12/1/2010, 02:56 PM

If Nebraska Wins:

I think the Insight will pick either NU or OU over Mizzou.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 03:13 PM
I'm confused, how do we drop to 5 in the big 12 when we ahead of A&M and OSU. Does a loss in the ccg count against our regular season.

The loss still counts in the conference standings and would occur before the bowl selections.

It would give OU or Nebraska 3 losses on the season. Dropping them down with A&M in the overall record and below the 2 loss teams in conf. play.

We have seen it more than once, where the loser of the Big 12 Championship game went on to play in a lesser bowl thanks to a bunch of teams crowded near the top of the conference with the same record.

The only thing that would save OU is the fact that they travel to bowl games better than just about any other team in the conference.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2010, 03:15 PM
I think the Insight will pick either NU or OU over Mizzou.

It really isnt about picking. It is about how they preceive the conference standings.

And the loser of the big 12 CCG will have a worse conference record than Missouri, meaning they would be behind them in the overall standings of the conference.

silverwheels
12/1/2010, 03:41 PM
The non-BCS bowls can technically pick whomever they want, regardless of conference record. Most people seem to think that the CCG loser will go to the Alamo Bowl, but who knows.

royalfan5
12/1/2010, 03:46 PM
It really isnt about picking. It is about how they preceive the conference standings.

And the loser of the big 12 CCG will have a worse conference record than Missouri, meaning they would be behind them in the overall standings of the conference.

And Nebraska travels a hell of a lot better. The bowls are there for money, not to strictly follow conference standings. That's why Mizzou alwyas get shafted to a crappier bowl.

Sooner95
12/1/2010, 04:38 PM
As far as the BCS bowl picture it's going to look like this, barring any upsets.

NCG - Oregon vs Auburn

Rose - Wisconsin vs TCU (Wisconsin wins tiebreaker via BCS standings, thus wins Big10. Rose bowl HAS to select a non-aq ranked in Top 4, thus TCU.

Sugar - Arkansas vs Ohio St ( Sugar will replace Auburn with an SEC team, They will then take one the remaining Big10 teams, Ohiost/MichSt, as an at large pick.

Orange - ACC Champion is locked into this game (Vatech or FSU) The consensus is the Orange bowl will select the Big East Champion due to proximity for fans to travel as opposed to Stanford. So I'd look for Big east vs ACC. Which is fine by me.

Fiesta - Big12 Champion is locked in to this game as well. Then they will select Stanford as an at-large (LAST) selection.

ddub0224
12/1/2010, 05:17 PM
As far as the BCS bowl picture it's going to look like this, barring any upsets.

NCG - Oregon vs Auburn

Rose - Wisconsin vs TCU (Wisconsin wins tiebreaker via BCS standings, thus wins Big10. Rose bowl HAS to select a non-aq ranked in Top 4, thus TCU.

Sugar - Arkansas vs Ohio St ( Sugar will replace Auburn with an SEC team, They will then take one the remaining Big10 teams, Ohiost/MichSt, as an at large pick.

Orange - ACC Champion is locked into this game (Vatech or FSU) The consensus is the Orange bowl will select the Big East Champion due to proximity for fans to travel as opposed to Stanford. So I'd look for Big east vs ACC. Which is fine by me.

Fiesta - Big12 Champion is locked in to this game as well. Then they will select Stanford as an at-large (LAST) selection.

Yep, this is the likliest scenario.

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2010, 04:56 PM
And Nebraska travels a hell of a lot better. The bowls are there for money, not to strictly follow conference standings. That's why Mizzou alwyas get shafted to a crappier bowl.

Then why have something called a conference ranking or standing when it comes to the bowls?

If you look at any list, it will show the conference tie-in and their conference rank or standing.

It is not about just picking, but when you have teams with all the same record, then yes, they will take the better money maker at the better payout bowls. However, they will not take a team with a lesser record when it comes to conference standings. And the loser of the CCG will have a worse record overall and conference wise than the CCG winner, OSU, and Missouri. They will also have a worse conference record than A&M, but the same amount of losses on the season.

It is not brain surgery or rocket science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_game

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2010, 04:57 PM

NCG - Oregon vs Auburn

Actually, West Virginia will likely go to Fiesta...oh that would be great!!!!

AggieGirl2005
12/2/2010, 05:04 PM
Then why have something called a conference ranking or standing when it comes to the bowls?

If you look at any list, it will show the conference tie-in and their conference rank or standing.
It is not about just picking, but when you have teams with all the same record, then yes, they will take the better money maker at the better payout bowls. However, they will not take a team with a lesser record when it comes to conference standings. And the loser of the CCG will have a worse record overall and conference wise than the CCG winner, OSU, and Missouri. They will also have a worse conference record than A&M, but the same amount of losses on the season.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but that's not conference standing, that's choice. Big12 #2 doesn't mean the second in rankings, it means second choice - and they can choose whomever they want.

"The contracts specify that the bowl receives a certain choice of teams, and this choice is typically not predicated on end-of-season rankings. For example, beginning this year, the Alamo Bowl has the third choice of Big 12 schools. That means they may choose any eligible Big 12 team after the first two bowls (in this case the BCS and the Cotton Bowl Classic) have chosen their teams from the conference."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_bids_to_non-BCS_bowls

soonerbub
12/2/2010, 05:05 PM
75 the bowl selection rankings are like a draft. It is simply the order that the bowls choose in. If the Cotton Bowl wanted to take a 6-6 team they can.

85sooners
12/2/2010, 05:06 PM
:confused:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/2/2010, 05:10 PM
2005. Since you guys went to the MNC, we were bumped up a bowl and a 7-5 A&M played a 9-3 Tennessee. It was not pretty. :( :( :(I think I remember hearing that one on the car radio, driving across tx. It was embarrassing for the conference, IMHO.

AggieGirl2005
12/2/2010, 05:11 PM
I think I remember hearing that one on the car radio, driving across tx. It was embarrassing for the conference, IMHO.

We'll do better this time ;)

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2010, 05:39 PM
75 the bowl selection rankings are like a draft. It is simply the order that the bowls choose in. If the Cotton Bowl wanted to take a 6-6 team they can.

Then I misunderstood the entire thing...so if OU loses, they can fall all the way to the Texas Bowl?

Yeah...i doubt it.

But, if that is the way it is, then I truly did misunderstand it. My bad. :O

AggieGirl2005
12/2/2010, 05:45 PM
Then I misunderstood the entire thing...so if OU loses, they can fall all the way to the Texas Bowl?

Yeah...i doubt it.

But, if that is the way it is, then I truly did misunderstand it. My bad. :O

Pretty understandable to think "Big 12 #2" would mean the #2 team in the Big 12.

cdlbdd
12/2/2010, 05:53 PM
Pretty understandable to think "Big 12 #2" would mean the #2 team in the Big 12.

Especially if you live under a rock!

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2010, 05:57 PM
Especially if you live under a rock!

Yeah, because traditionally, the higher paying bowls took the higer standing teams.

Good call dumbass!

cdlbdd
12/2/2010, 06:06 PM

Relying on wikipedia will often lead to such confusion. Hopefully the habit can be broken!

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2010, 06:08 PM
Relying on wikipedia will often lead to such confusion. Hopefully the habit can be broken!

You look better in red than green! :P

Let me ask this...are you always an arsehole or did you not get any dick last night?

cdlbdd
12/2/2010, 06:11 PM
You look better in red than green! :P

Let me ask this...are you always an ******* or just didnt get any dick last night?

Always.

yermom
12/2/2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, because traditionally, the higher paying bowls took the higer standing teams.

Good call dumbass!

they just choose on whatever they want. like in 2003, it looked like OU was going to the national championship, and Texas would get an at-large spot, so the Cotton Bowl took OSU. then we lost, still went to the national championship game, but KSU then went to the Fiesta, and Texas gets hosed since 3 teams from the same conference can't go to the BCS and they get bumped to the Holiday since the Cotton Bowl stuck with OSU

CowboyMRW
12/2/2010, 11:19 PM
Many people are expecting an OU win saturday and sending Nebraska to the Insight. The reason being as they can send Nebraska off with a big FU to them. And I've heard that they don't want an Arizona-Nebraska rematch plus Nebaska wants to play a Big 10 team is the report that I have heard

VA Sooner
12/2/2010, 11:22 PM
Wouldn't mind sending them that gift right before leaving for the Big 10/11/12