PDA

View Full Version : Hurry-Up Offense

sooned
11/30/2010, 04:20 PM
I read all the time that the hurry-up offense wears out the defense and that the defense is exhausted toward the end of the game. It is never mentioned that the offense is exhausted. Why wouldn"t the offense be just as exhausted as the defense?

rekamrettuB
11/30/2010, 04:22 PM
The offensive line wears down the defensive line more due to the fact they are pushing, pulling, etc. I think this theory holds the same as why the hurry up wears down defenses faster than offenses.

OK2U
11/30/2010, 04:24 PM
Stoops mentioned recently that they have been rotating in more O-linemen and calling plays differently late in the game because our O-Line gets gassed. I think I read that the call to throw to Hanna last week was a result of this strategy — o-line is exhausted, rushing game isn't as effective, etc.

swardboy
11/30/2010, 04:25 PM
I contend the fact that the offense doesn't have to trot back and forth to the huddle is a factor. We ran 102 plays Saturday night....that's 1,000 yards the lineman didn't have to cover (at least 5 yards back to the huddle/5 yards to the line of scrimmage).

And we're getting the same blow at the line as we would back in the huddle.

bmjlr
11/30/2010, 04:41 PM
I love the hurry-up, but it can also gas OU's defense when OU's offense goes 3 and out.

jkjsooner
11/30/2010, 05:15 PM
It's pretty much commonly accepted that a defense gets worn down quicker than an offense. Hurry up offense aside, that's why teams look at offensive time of possession when trying to determine which team is more tired.

I've never played football but I've heard this stated many times. I'm sure the fact that the offense dictates the play has a lot to do with this. If you know where the route is going or where the play is going you don't have to work as hard.

I think there are more factors as well. It's easier to block than to shed a block and try to make a tackle.

CrimsonRez
11/30/2010, 05:15 PM
I played O-line on a hurry up offense, I also played D-line against hurry up offenses. You get much more tired playing defense because for one you are constantly fighting against more than one person and then you have to run the ball down. On offense you have on person (most of the time) to block and once the ball is past then you can pretty much relax and get ready for the next play. Especially on passing downs when as an O-lineman you have initial contact then just hold the D-line who has to run the whole entire play, back long enough for the QB to throw the ball.

KantoSooner
11/30/2010, 05:30 PM
That's it, CrimsonRez. Also, the D doesn't know when things are going to happen, so they are not breathing as deep or relaxing at all between plays.

cccasooner2
11/30/2010, 05:47 PM
I've never played football but .....

See swardboy above and you'll see what you been missing (on the field anyway). ;)

sooned
11/30/2010, 05:56 PM
In between offensive possessions, can't the defense send in alternates to give the starters a rest?

cccasooner2
11/30/2010, 06:00 PM
In between offensive possessions, can't the defense send in alternates to give the starters a rest?

Not until an O has left the field (completion of blow is not assumed).

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2010, 06:32 PM

They can if they do it quickly enough. But the offense can start the play as soon as the ref marks the ball ready and the refs do that as quickly as they can. We've been drawing a couple of flags per game by snapping the ball while the defense has extra players trying to run off the field. But if the offense substitutes, the defense is allowed a certain amount of time to do so as well. You'll see the side judge with his arms out and his hands in a fist during that time. Sometimes the ref will even stand over the ball to allow the D to substitute to make it clear. We've been hurt trying to audible in this situation because the play clock runs out after both team substitutes.

AggieGirl2005
11/30/2010, 06:35 PM
They can if they do it quickly enough. But the offense can start the play as soon as the ref marks the ball ready and the refs do that as quickly as they can. We've been drawing a couple of flags per game by snapping the ball while the defense has extra players trying to run off the field. But if the offense substitutes, the defense is allowed a certain amount of time to do so as well. You'll see the side judge with his arms out and his hands in a fist during that time. Sometimes the ref will even stand over the ball to allow the D to substitute to make it clear. We've been hurt trying to audible in this situation because the play clock runs out after both team substitutes.

You guys caught us three times with that...and we play a hurry up offense too so you'd think we'd be used to it. Unfortunately for us, Tannehill isn't experienced enough to pay attention to the D to snap early if too many defensive players are on the field the way Landry does. I don't think we've forced that penalty one time yet.

cyclonesooner
11/30/2010, 06:44 PM
Doesn't take much energy or skill level today to be an offensive lineman; Just take one step and hold the defensive lineman. Exactly what OSU's off. lineman did all night last sat. and it was never called.

East Coast Bias
11/30/2010, 07:48 PM
I suspect the reason we put the ball in the air at the end of the game had more to do with DeMarco going down than the Offensive line being gassed.

ashley
11/30/2010, 08:56 PM
O linemen don't run much during a play. D linemen chase all over the field. Receivers are replaced a lot but backers and secondary guys are not.

BoomerSooner, esq.
11/30/2010, 09:09 PM
Also, the offensive linemen on teams that run the hurry up train all off season in a hurry up style. Obviously, at this point in the season, everyone is getting worn out and the substitutions are becoming more prevalent. But, OUr linemen are in as good of shape if not better than the defensive linemen on teams that are not used to the hurry up

opksooner
11/30/2010, 09:21 PM
WARNING: "Nostalgia Ain't What It Used To Be" type reply follows:

What we run is a "get back to the LOS and wait for directions" offense. :(

Ya shoulda seen OU run the real hurry-up with Tommy McDonald, et al, back in the day. Run a play, scramble back to the LOS and run another play. FAST. Repeat until we score. The D was absolutely gassed and disorganized very quickly.

No Meerkat, no waiting for the OC to phone in a play, no United Nations committee meetings, no nothin'. Just run the damn play. It was a thing of beauty.

VA Sooner
11/30/2010, 11:26 PM
Would love to see that kind of an offense again. Game has gotten a little more complicated and the players are incredible athletes now...

mdklatt
11/30/2010, 11:28 PM

Illegal substitution, defense, five yard penalty.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2010, 08:43 PM
I suspect the reason we put the ball in the air at the end of the game had more to do with DeMarco going down than the Offensive line being gassed.

I admit, that crossed my mind as well. But I hate to take away from the perception that KW's brain and nads grew larger ;)

Sooner70
12/2/2010, 07:40 AM
The offense knows the play & can plan their moves. The defense had to react. More stressful and if you guess wrong (which happens a lot on hurry up) it expends extra energy when you have to quickly adjust.....change direction, re-leverage, etc. It's got to be exhausting.

Sooners78
12/2/2010, 09:27 AM
The offense knows the play & can plan their moves. The defense had to react. More stressful and if you guess wrong (which happens a lot on hurry up) it expends extra energy when you have to quickly adjust.....change direction, re-leverage, etc. It's got to be exhausting.

This. It takes considerably more energy to react than it does to just run a planned play.

cvsooner
12/2/2010, 12:53 PM
Between DeMarco going down, some legit concerns about Madu hanging onto the ball, and the fact OSewe lined up to stop the run since they figured we'd just try to milk the clock and Broyles was drawing three defenders, Wilson took what was there for the taking. If not for the kickoff return it would have been an awesome blowout.