PDA

View Full Version : With 2 more wins Sherri Coale will have....

stoopified
11/30/2010, 04:13 PM
323 career wins.Why is that signifigant you ask? Becuse when Sheeri gets win #323 she will own exctly one half of ALL wins in the history of the OU women's program.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2010, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised they won 323 games before she got there... :confused:

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2010, 05:54 PM
Is this right??? Hurry up and answer me!!! :P

stoopified
12/13/2010, 09:33 PM
With nine wins this year Sherri has 324 or MORE THAN half of OUr wins now.She needs only 10 more wins to pass Tubbs(333) as OU's all time l winning coach.

badger
12/14/2010, 11:10 AM
Sherri Coale is proof that you don't need a lot of money and big name hire (basically what Texas tried to do when they brought in Duke's coach a few years ago) to start a winning program in womens basketball.

cdlbdd
12/14/2010, 11:58 AM
Sherri Coale is proof that you don't need a lot of money and big name hire (basically what Texas tried to do when they brought in Duke's coach a few years ago) to start a winning program in womens basketball. While the investment was small initially (Sherri was reportedly happy with her $50k because it was a big raise from Norman High's English teacher salary), it's turned into another OU athletic program that turns a profit... and one that you want to be a fan of too :)

Hate to break it to you, Badger, but the women's basketball team last year brought in $2.6 million, and spent just over $3.9 million. How exactly are you interpreting last year's $1.3 million deficit as a profit?

Pages 13 & 14 if you don't believe me.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/genrel/auto_pdf/20101101_eada_report.pdf

stoopified
12/14/2010, 12:13 PM
For the record Sherri is 324-143with 6 conference titles and a 19-10 NCAA tourney record.The other women's coaches combined were 323-294 with ONE conference title and a 2-1 NCAA record.

badger
12/14/2010, 12:14 PM
Wow, makes me wonder where I heard that from... I have never seen the stats before, just heard that for the longest time. Perhaps donor gifts make up the difference that isn't figured into the revenue equation? I will look for citation on that, because I've heard that repeatedly through the years. I promise I'm not just making that up

EDIT: Can't find citation now, will keep looking. It looks like very few programs are currently turning profits. I wonder if it turned a profit back when the first tourney games were always home sites and that's where I heard that from? Of course, that would date back to around 2002.

EDIT2: I've checked the entire media guide online... no mention. I will keep looking!

EDIT3: OK, I'm going to resign myself to realizing that I am not going to find this anywhere, because all searches I am turning up are Sherri Coale's ties to non-profit volunteerism programs, hehe. But, I call shenanigans on how the NCAA determines which programs are profitable and which ones aren't (much like we all hate how they determine graduation rates to stifle schools with transfers). The fact of the matter is that our facilities are donor-funded, all 15 of our scholarships are endowed and we have great attendance.

GDC
12/14/2010, 05:55 PM
Put her in charge of both programs.

oulucas
12/14/2010, 09:59 PM
Wow, makes me wonder where I heard that from... I have never seen the stats before, just heard that for the longest time. Perhaps donor gifts make up the difference that isn't figured into the revenue equation? I will look for citation on that, because I've heard that repeatedly through the years. I promise I'm not just making that up

EDIT: Can't find citation now, will keep looking. It looks like very few programs are currently turning profits. I wonder if it turned a profit back when the first tourney games were always home sites and that's where I heard that from? Of course, that would date back to around 2002.

EDIT2: I've checked the entire media guide online... no mention. I will keep looking!

EDIT3: OK, I'm going to resign myself to realizing that I am not going to find this anywhere, because all searches I am turning up are Sherri Coale's ties to non-profit volunteerism programs, hehe. But, I call shenanigans on how the NCAA determines which programs are profitable and which ones aren't (much like we all hate how they determine graduation rates to stifle schools with transfers). The fact of the matter is that our facilities are donor-funded, all 15 of our scholarships are endowed and we have great attendance.

Badger, the truth is you don't need to find proof. Whether or not they turn a profit I don't think anyone could possibly doubt the incredible job Sherri has done at OU. That's proof enough for me.

badger
12/15/2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks - and my new buddies over at ouhoops (yes, I cheat on sf.com and go to another board occasionally, sorry all) agree that the program doesn't turn a profit, but that there's other value in the program. Sorry again for the misinformation :(

stoopified
12/20/2010, 12:28 PM
It would seem I was a tad premature in my numbers on Sherri's victory total.I was using numbers from soonerStats and they had included 2 wins from this season in her victory total of 315.That means with 9 victoies this year , Coale is at 322,still one win shy of matching the win total of all the other coaches combined.I have full confidence thatSherri will achieve this in her next game.