PDA

View Full Version : 4th qtr punt at Mizzou (revisited)

SoonerPr8r
11/30/2010, 10:45 AM
ESPN's takes a look back and asks Stoops if he thinks punting to hold down the margin of victory contributed to the high ranking now....

Stoops' controversial decision pays off
November, 29, 2010
Nov 29
4:00
PM ET

By David Ubben
With his team facing a 36-27 deficit in the final minutes against Missouri this year, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops elected to punt from his own 7-yard line, rather than risk turning the ball over on downs and giving Missouri a chance to add to its lead. The decision was made, he said later, with pollsters in mind.

"I've never done it before, but I thought, 'You know what? There's still a bunch of games to be played. Who knows what can happen?' Heck, LSU got in it a few years ago with two losses, right?" Stoops said days after the loss. "Some people don't see the game, only look at the score, as they vote. Right or wrong, that's what I did."

It didn't get Oklahoma in the national championship game, but it might have helped the Sooners reach the Big 12 Championship. A three-way tiebreaker was left to the BCS standings, and a 16-point loss to Missouri might have cost the Sooners more than a nine-point loss.

Regardless, Oklahoma was comfortably above both Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, and will represent the South against Nebraska in Saturday's title game. On Monday morning, Stoops revisited the decision.

"I felt solid about it when I did it, and regardless of what anybody wants to say, there's a certain point -- we hadn't shown any life the first three downs prior to that. We didn't even sniff a completion, and I probably wouldn't have done it had we been out at the 20, 30-yard line, something like that. I know I wouldn't have," Stoops said. "In the situation we were in, I felt it was the right thing to do, and whether it's right or wrong, everybody can have their opinion, but right now, it's worked out OK."

XingTheRubicon
11/30/2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, with a 16 point loss, we probably would be ranked about 40 spots lower. What a stupid, irrelevant point...to go along with the stupid decision to give up.

MyT Oklahoma
11/30/2010, 01:55 PM
WGAF now.. that game is history. What's done is done and it's time to look on to the Bugeaters.

cyclonesooner
11/30/2010, 07:14 PM
I don't understand why so many folks make such a big deal out of that punt. As a coach, I certainly agreed with the call. The game was over. Why widen the margin ? This is done quite frequently. What I do have a hard time understanding is not putting any receivers back deep on a possible onside kick situation ! Can't go along with the philosophy that "aw shoot fire, we'll outrun em to the ball". Anything could happen in that situation and not many are positive.

hvhurricane
11/30/2010, 07:57 PM
This was a complete give up and should have never happened. In no way did it help us to get to the Big 12 game. Absolutely no help, whatsoever. It is BS to even imply that as a possibility. It was a complete wuss move and should not be applauded in any way whatsoever.

MyT Oklahoma
11/30/2010, 08:02 PM
It's over and done with. Look to next Saturday night.

And now you know why I no longer cry about losing to KU by 20 in Norman in November '75. Some things just don't matter when you learn how to calm down and then get over it.

**** happens to everybody but we are Sooners and we are competing for still yet another.. the last one ever.. Big 12 Championship.

Is this a great country or what?