PDA

View Full Version : The Stache sux!.. - cont and revisited..

Boooom!
11/30/2010, 12:36 AM
All:

Last year I posted a negative about Jones and his play. I realize now how impatient and frustrated I was then. Truth of the matter is that I held out great hope, not just for the OU football Program, but for Landry as a QB.. but was distraught.

I apologize for that post and to Jones and all for that hasty, quick, and ugly post. I truly admire this fella and his BIG BRASS BALLS...., his Faith, and his dedication.

Go forth and concur they dreams young man. May God bless.

CatfishSooner
11/30/2010, 12:59 AM
apology accepted...

Tiptonsooner
11/30/2010, 01:17 AM
I think a lot of people felt the same way, just won't admit it. Landry had some pretty big shoes to fill. Even if he was horrible, which he's far from it, one would expect him to mentally break trying to satisfy the monster. The kid, which he is, is tough as nails mentally. He has great talent and will only get better.

Very glad he is a Sooner!!!

oudavid1
11/30/2010, 02:49 AM
Takes a man to admit when he is wrong. Mad respect for that.

But the most important thing to remember about the Sooners (or any college team)

1) these are all young men (18-23) and brandon weeden
2) HE WAS A BACKUP RS-Freshman!!!!
3) He's following arguably one of the greater QBs in Oklahoma History

Not many teams get a great, and i mean great (mostly with potential, but also plays he makes now) YOUNG MAN AND PLAYER like LJ. I loved this guy when he threw 6 tds vs Tulsa last year (he had to picks too) and i loved him when he threw 5 picks vs Neb.

He is improving right in front of us, but dam is he something. As an aspiring coach i just get so excited looking at him and what he is and will be. And everytime he throws a pass away and it gets picked....

09 Texas, '10 vs Utah State, and the 2 this weekend......i than smile next time he takes a hit.

BTW, one tough son of a ***ch too. No offense Sammy B, but you got hit 3 times in 09 and twice didnt come back.

My favorite play by LJ though i think will always be the zone read keep for about 15 yds vs KU last year. He actually made the proper read and ran with it and later Bob said (paraphrased)"He is not really supposed to ever keep it".

mikee likee
11/30/2010, 03:25 AM
My favorite play by LJ though i think will always be the zone read keep for about 15 yds vs KU last year. He actually made the proper read and ran with it and later Bob said (paraphrased)"He is not really supposed to ever keep it".
But if he doesn't run with occasionally, it is just a hand off. Got to keep em honest..

cleller
11/30/2010, 09:03 AM
You can't help but compare Landry to Sam, etc. Compare him, though, with other QB's in the nation right now, or some less successful OU QB's.

He may not be a Heisman candidate, but I'm happy to have him. I certainly wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the Big 12.

C&CDean
11/30/2010, 09:44 AM
Don't worry. There's still a bunch of haters out there who still hate him.

boomermagic
11/30/2010, 09:55 AM
Don't worry. There's still a bunch of haters out there who still hate him.

This. Landry will be a heisman canidate Next season..

OUmillenium
11/30/2010, 10:41 AM
I was also thinking that Landry would be a top Heisman candidate next season. In all fairness, if he has a similar season he should win it. He was on some watch lists this year but crapped the bed on nationwide tv v Mizzou and was only slightly better v TexAM which dropped him in people's minds. + Cameron Newton is running away with the Heisman faster than he did with laptops at Florida so nobody else is truly being considered if you only look at on the field performance.

Landry's stock would go way up if he could stop throwing ints while attempting to throw the ball away. Did the same thing last year v UTerus. The coaches have done a magical job adjusting the O to his strengths and away from his weaknesses.

He will own some serious records if he QBs for 4 years. Sam only played 2.3 seasons or so. Heupel 2 seasons. Jason White 2 full seasons and bit n pieces.

C&CDean
11/30/2010, 11:15 AM
Landry's stock would go way up if he could stop throwing ints while attempting to throw the ball away.

This and if his receivers would catch more perfectly thrown balls. I counted 9 drops in the OSU game.

TahoeSOONER
11/30/2010, 11:21 AM
The Stache's legacy is truly just in it's infancy and this Big 12 Championship will be a big game for it.

OUmillenium
11/30/2010, 11:23 AM
This and if his receivers would catch more perfectly thrown balls. I counted 9 drops in the OSU game.

Yeah, but Landry can't fix that. He can fix throwing the ball away. Make it a no doubter. Ints like those will kill a Heisman campaign if he is in the mix next year.

Let's say I have a vote and its between 2 or 3 solid passing qbs, then I see a play like that and I immediately scratch LJ from the list because my thinking is..."No Heisman caliber player would ever make a play like that."

Hopefully, he never does it again and its not an issue. But that is the great controversy about LJ - He seems to make some of the toughest throws/plays a qb has to make game after game, but also makes some of the all-time worst plays a qb can make. If he can alleviate the abysmal plays, I believe a Heisman is in his future. I'm really pulling for him and glad he had such a strong 4th qtr against lOSUr.

Tigeman
11/30/2010, 11:37 AM
On the zone read....

I think it was 3rd and 3 in the 3rd (hehe...that's alot of 3's) around OSU's 40, Landry steps up out of the pocket and begins to sorta run. He's got no one in front of him for 15 yards. Instead of running to the 1st down he instead throws to Stills who has very tight double coverage. Not only does he throw into double coverage he steroid balls it again, and throws over his head by a good 7 or 8 feet if I remember right. Stills gets punished by the 2 defensemen and we have to punt. All he had to do was run just the 3 yards and slide, even though he could have easily had a 7 or 8 yard gain. He's gotta learn to let go of the play when it's not there. I realize he's ever supposed to run, but sometimes you just gotta step up and get that first down on 3rd and short.

This pissed me off but the thing that pisses me off more than anything is his continued lack of touch on the deep ball. KW has not really let Landry open it up all season like he used to Sam. Which I understood Landry can't throw the deep ball, but figured he'd still try it all season to make the defense respect it. So finally KW did it to OSU 4 or 5 times this game, and every time Landry over through the receiver by 5 or 10 yards. I think one of those, Stills had a chance at but he had the DB and the Safety all over him and combining that and the fact that he was really having to stretch for the ball, it went incomplete. WTF is up w/ his lack of touch and being able to let the receiver run under the ball? The kid has the arm and can throw those short 15 yard plays no problem. But On the deep ball and alot in the red-zone he throws that damn Steroid Ball, either wayyyyy past the receiver or wayyyyyy over their damn head.

We gotta his touch under control. I just got faith in Josh to straighten the kid out, but I was hoping it would have come along alot quicker.

Does anyone know Landry's longest throw? Not counting YAC, as I know we've had some that the receiver broke for long plays, but just the longest distance that Landry's thrown the ball for and the receiver actually caught it.

swardboy
11/30/2010, 12:12 PM
Think about it....every D coordinator in the conference is thinking "two more years of Landry Jones." Not pleasant...

deweydw
11/30/2010, 01:06 PM
Some say he never blinks, and he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves... All we know is, he's called the Stache!!

Mazeppa
11/30/2010, 01:18 PM
His legacy might be his so so success in the red zone.
How many field goals did we kick Saturday night?

Tigeman
11/30/2010, 01:52 PM
His legacy might be his so so success in the red zone.
How many field goals did we kick Saturday night?

Yep, and how many of those were b/c he threw those damn steroid balls 10 feet over the head of the receiver!