PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Dupree at the Thunder Game

OU Engineer
11/29/2010, 11:39 PM
Seeing him at the Thunder game tonight and hearing the SA talking about how he was at Lucky Star last week got me thinking:

Is it safe to say that before the 30 for 30 special, Marcus was viewed in a negative attitude by OU fans for leaving? (I was too young to know then)

IMO, after watching it I just can't help but feel sorry for the guy, who was an impressionable young kid who got taken advantage of. I'm all for making sure he gets taken care of and gets to be a part of the Sooner Nation.

Thoughts?

SOONER44EVER
11/29/2010, 11:42 PM
I've never looked at him negatively. He was just an immature kid that got bad, bad advice from people he trusted most. That kind of thing happens a lot......................just not to superstar OU players.

SOONER STEAKER
11/29/2010, 11:44 PM
I played with MD at OU, he was a grat kid who was just lost, no father figure and BS always on his ***. In RB meetings, Scott Hill treated him equal as a freshman, but sophomore yr, SH was all over him all the time.

prrriiide
11/29/2010, 11:45 PM
I never really saw him in a negative light. Whenever I saw his name I'd just kinda shake my head and think, "I wish I could've seen him as a senior at OU."

I'd like to see that "Reverend" be forced to stand on the 50 yard-line while every Sooner at a home game got to give him a real hard kick in the jimmy.

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 11:51 PM
I knew little of him before the 30 for 30 program. The show awakened a new interest in new OU fans and old OU fans. Call it nostalgia, or call it once a sooner always a sooner.

3rdgensooner
11/29/2010, 11:53 PM
I never really saw him in a negative light. Whenever I saw his name I'd just kinda shake my head and think, "I wish I could've seen him as a senior at OU."

I'd like to see that "Reverend" be forced to stand on the 50 yard-line while every Sooner at a home game got to give him a real hard kick in the jimmy.Yeah, he was just a mystery to most of us. I'm glad we have more understanding about what happened.

He'll always be a Sooner.

badger
11/29/2010, 11:56 PM
I'd like to see that "Reverend" be forced to stand on the 50 yard-line while every Sooner at a home game got to give him a real hard kick in the jimmy.

1- Pelt him with oranges for all of the Orange Bowls MD should have led us to.

2- Jimmy Stevens kicks him through the uprights

3- OU scores 3 points!

GovtCheese
11/30/2010, 01:30 AM
Seeing him at the Thunder game tonight and hearing the SA talking about how he was at Lucky Star last week got me thinking:

Is it safe to say that before the 30 for 30 special, Marcus was viewed in a negative attitude by OU fans for leaving? (I was too young to know then)

IMO, after watching it I just can't help but feel sorry for the guy, who was an impressionable young kid who got taken advantage of. I'm all for making sure he gets taken care of and gets to be a part of the Sooner Nation.

Thoughts?

My brother in law (sooner fan) and I were watching the re-run of the Marcus Dupree 30 for 30 and he was getting all emotional about it and feeling bad for Mr. Dupree and me not being a sooner fan asked him would he really give 2 sh*ts about the guy if he didn't play at OU? It took him a few seconds but he realized the only reason he cares about the story is because Marcus attended OU. Otherwise he wouldn't give a sh*t just like 99% of the population. Sure it's a sad story but those are a dime a dozen.

Blue
11/30/2010, 02:12 AM
My brother in law (sooner fan) and I were watching the re-run of the Marcus Dupree 30 for 30 and he was getting all emotional about it and feeling bad for Mr. Dupree and me not being a sooner fan asked him would he really give 2 sh*ts about the guy if he didn't play at OU? It took him a few seconds but he realized the only reason he cares about the story is because Marcus attended OU. Otherwise he wouldn't give a sh*t just like 99% of the population. Sure it's a sad story but those are a dime a dozen.

But we are Sooner fans and he's a Sooner. Whats your point?

olevetonahill
11/30/2010, 02:15 AM
But we are Sooner fans and he's a Sooner. Whats your point?

Hes Redassed and I dint do it ;)

BajaOklahoma
11/30/2010, 04:09 AM
I was in the stands for most of the games that MD played in. I am not objective about him at all.
The 30 for 30 was good in that MD admitted he should have come back to OU, rather than run away. That was huge in bringing closure to this part of our history.

Sooner70
11/30/2010, 06:42 AM
Sooner Steaker seems most reliable first hand knowledge on this string. I remember MD well, and all that surrounded him. There was fault on both sides that made this turn out the way it did. BS same as said in the program that he mishandled MD, but MD acknowledged he shoulda went back to OU...."shoulda listened to my Mom.....".

The program did clear up a coupla things for me. I was always mistaken that MD was a big baby Momma's boy and she was the problem. Not so. I think the REV was the problem. Also, MD had so much talent and ability, he took it for granted, which was his mistake. He was a man among boys in HS, but when he hit OU, although he was a phenom, the work was harder and the hits were harder....i.e. Texas game. Don't think he was used to that. Anyway, he showed a lot of initiative when he came back from his injury, got himself back in shape in the "hot box" and played 2 years for the Rams. Showed me he wasn't just a spoiled baby. He was a real man that had real dreams. Just misguided and mishandled.

OUthunder
11/30/2010, 07:22 AM
Hes Redassed and I dint do it ;)

I do...:D

SunnySooner
11/30/2010, 07:57 AM
The show definitely changed my opinion of him. I was only a little kid, but I remember my dad and family being ticked about him ditching us, and all of them thinking he was a Mama's boy who couldn't handle life away from her. We didn't know all that was going on behind the scenes, and the show made me feel really sad and sorry for him.

I'm glad he's coming back around, I think most Sooner fans would welcome him with open arms. He seems to be a nice man these days, and I'd love to spit some Beech Nut in the "Reverand"'s eye, no doubt.

swardboy
11/30/2010, 08:08 AM
Commitment. Adult Sooner fans saw the greatest running back their eyes had ever beheld in Marcus' freshman year. Plenty of great running backs and players of all kinds had been successful under Switzer's tenure...heck, he was known as the most laid-back coach in America. And MD isn't content? He was the poster boy for lack of commitment...and that is the most important character trait for any football player.

The 30/30 special pulled back the veil on Marcus' naivete, and his regrets about his actions. That has earned some redemption from those fans old enough to really remember him. That, and the emotional attachment most could feel for the situation of his younger brother.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/30/2010, 08:20 AM
We should put him back on scholarship. Can he still play?
:P

Soonerwake
11/30/2010, 08:23 AM
For me, it put some substance behind what I already assumed happened with him. He was a freak talent, but never was forced to learn to work hard and commit himself. It was obvious that noone ever pushed him to work, until he got to OU. And, the addition of the scumbags in the background looking for a meal ticket were too much. Sad story..

But, I admit that I appreciate Marcus more now that I have seen the story, so yes, the story had an impact on my opinion of Marcus.

pweitkem
11/30/2010, 09:01 AM
Living in Norman throughout the Dupree fiasco, all we ever thought was he was a whiny, cry baby that went home to Mama and couldn't hack it. That's all any OU fan thought at the time.
After seeing 30 for 30, I know I have a different perspective on his situation. Makes me wonder how many times I've jumped to the wrong conclusion without having all the facts. Hope he comes back to OU for a football game or two sometime in the future, I guarantee he gets a standing ovation from the crowd.

dwarthog
11/30/2010, 09:17 AM
For me, it put some substance behind what I already assumed happened with him. He was a freak talent, but never was forced to learn to work hard and commit himself. It was obvious that noone ever pushed him to work, until he got to OU. And, the addition of the scumbags in the background looking for a meal ticket were too much. Sad story..

But, I admit that I appreciate Marcus more now that I have seen the story, so yes, the story had an impact on my opinion of Marcus.

This about sums it up for me as well.

His leaving the program like he did, certainly opened the door for endless speculation with regards to the reasons.

OUEngr1990
11/30/2010, 09:23 AM
I sent him a friend request on facebook and he accepted. If your on facebook, send him a request, and say something nice, he will probably accept. He was posting some really interesting camera phone pics last week, while he was hanging out with Billy Sims.

OUEngr1990
11/30/2010, 09:25 AM
Living in Norman throughout the Dupree fiasco, all we ever thought was he was a whiny, cry baby that went home to Mama and couldn't hack it. That's all any OU fan thought at the time.
After seeing 30 for 30, I know I have a different perspective on his situation. Makes me wonder how many times I've jumped to the wrong conclusion without having all the facts. Hope he comes back to OU for a football game or two sometime in the future, I guarantee he gets a standing ovation from the crowd.

That's what I remember too. I was in high school when all that went down, and heard the same thing. The 30 for 30 show really changed my opinion. They did a great job on the show.

CobraKai
11/30/2010, 09:38 AM
I always wondered what would have happened if Marcus Dupree and Mike Gaddis had both been able to live up to their potential. Mike was at OU when I was there, and before his injury(s) he was such an amazing player. I really think he had Heisman potential. Even after the injuries he was an excellent RB, but before that he was as good of a RB as I had ever seen in person.

If both of those guys had lived up to their enormous potential perhaps we would be known as "Tailback U" instead of Oklahoma State. For those that don't recognize the sarcasm, that last part was a joke.

boomermagic
11/30/2010, 09:46 AM
The folks that didn't see him play have no idea what they missed and no idea how good he really was or could have been.. From that standpoint I am still pissed at him but I admired his talent so very much and If i am in the stands when he is introduced I will stand up for him no doubt.. Barry Switzer is my favorite all time coach he admits he made a mistake when It comes to handling Dupree No one is perfect .. My God folks some of you just don't have an inkling how good Dupree was.. He was the best that ever **** between two shoes..

pweitkem
11/30/2010, 10:07 AM
I had a badass Marcus Dupree belly shirt/fishnet jersey. Wore it with pride everywhere I went. No need for a t shirt underneath that bad boy... those were speed holes and I had nothing around my waste to slow progress.

KantoSooner
11/30/2010, 10:09 AM
My memories of those times are of frustration that he left...and a very clear understanding that he was being whip-sawed by azzwipes from his hometown who were encouraging him to have a very bad attitude.
That might not excuse either his actions or his handling by the coaches; but it's my $0.02.

OUmillenium
11/30/2010, 11:08 AM

Without reading the whole thread, you are way off. If MD would have had the same situation at any bigtime school, there would still be a 30-30 about him. He might have become the greatest college running back of all time, maybe the greatest NFL back of all time but we will never know. That is the GREAT TRAGEDY. It's not some sad sack dime a dozen story. It is a national story of missed opportunity to become legendary.

In regard to opening post, I think most Sooner fans have held MD in a negative light, not necessarily hatred but more in viewing him as a "quitter". I myself am guilty of it. I remember being a 10 yr old watching the Fiesta Bowl and hearing all the hype about how amazing he was.

I thought the 30-30 was excellent. My wife was tearing up and I was close as well because it is apparent that MD was young and sensitive then cast into a superman's role with very little support. He was also naive and put his trust in the wrong people who took advantage of him - that is the tragedy.

Big Al interviewed him the other day on Tulsa commercial animal and it was great. Marcus had strong Christian answers for the situations he has been through. Awesome. He also mentioned that OU did not buy his mom the doublewide and said he talked with Switzer recently who "could not believe they said that" because it was not true.

OUEngr1990
11/30/2010, 11:30 AM
Barry Switzer is my favorite all time coach he admits he made a mistake when It comes to handling Dupree No one is perfect

I believe that there is plenty of bame to go around, from Switzer, to Marcus, to the assistants, to the Rev. You know what they say, it takes two to tango. The whole thing was messed up. There is no denying Marcus' abilities, but apparently he was a threat to alot of people there, and didn't know how to handle it, thats where maturity comes in...

OUEngr1990
11/30/2010, 11:33 AM

You wouldn't understand unless you were there, while he was at OU. It would be like Sam Bradford walking off the team (or whoever your favorite player is). Otherwise, I would agree with you. But there is much more depth to it than that. You had to be there...

MyT Oklahoma
11/30/2010, 01:52 PM
Marcus has made peace with Switzer and with his former teammates, and that's all I need to know on the subject.

I remember watching him play and I was glad that he chose to be a Sooner. He will always be a Sooner and always welcome to come back to Norman.

bmjlr
11/30/2010, 02:50 PM
I say Stoops needs to invite him to the sideline for the Big 12 Champ game against NE. Show him that the Sooner faithful have forgiven and welcome him back. Plus he may be able to put the #7 jersey on if Murray cannot go. :D

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2010, 02:55 PM

^^^Stupid post ....and gay.

bent rider
11/30/2010, 02:59 PM
Sooner Steaker seems most reliable first hand knowledge on this string. I remember MD well, and all that surrounded him. There was fault on both sides that made this turn out the way it did. BS same as said in the program that he mishandled MD, but MD acknowledged he shoulda went back to OU...."shoulda listened to my Mom.....".

The program did clear up a coupla things for me. I was always mistaken that MD was a big baby Momma's boy and she was the problem. Not so. I think the REV was the problem. Also, MD had so much talent and ability, he took it for granted, which was his mistake. He was a man among boys in HS, but when he hit OU, although he was a phenom, the work was harder and the hits were harder....i.e. Texas game. Don't think he was used to that. Anyway, he showed a lot of initiative when he came back from his injury, got himself back in shape in the "hot box" and played 2 years for the Rams. Showed me he wasn't just a spoiled baby. He was a real man that had real dreams. Just misguided and mishandled.

Sums up my feelings, also.

He won a lot of respect from me in showing he has moved on and is not faulting Barry, OU or even the Rev. Nice interview on the News9 Blitz recently.