PDA

View Full Version : Our defense is underrated!

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 07:11 PM
Sure we let up a few big plays here and there and we can get better of course, but the group is solid IMO. BV has done a good job this year with our defensive bunch.

With that said FIRE BV!

:pop:

IslandSooner
11/29/2010, 07:13 PM
At times we are very solid, but it seems they lose focus sometimes too.

ouwasp
11/29/2010, 07:19 PM
I'd rather have the Sooner D be called "punishing".

Maybe someday...

TXBOOMER
11/29/2010, 07:23 PM
They have held 2 good offenses in check on the road the last two weeks. BOX!

Chiliman
11/29/2010, 07:54 PM

Don't discount how he played against the sand aggies either.

HuskerfaninOkieland
11/29/2010, 07:59 PM

That bodes well for NU's not-so-good offense then :D

Okie35
11/29/2010, 08:13 PM
That bodes well for NU's not-so-good offense then :D

Reverse reverse psychology. Your offense truly is mediocre.

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 10:23 PM
Lost in the wins by a high-powered offense is the defensive performance in the last few weeks. A lot of factors going into this besides the usual "getting better as the season goes on."

Two hurt linebackers in the first half of the season coming back and making a difference in the middle where there was a huge problem in the Mizzou and A&M games. We got exposed time and time again and that's why Quentin had to cheat up and make so many tackles in the middle of the field. Notice how he more tackles than even Lewis in a few of those early games.

Adrian Taylor... I love the man and his devotion to the game but it made us a little easier to beat in the middle as well. He was hurt and playing on one foot for the season. Moving to a 50 defense helped alleviate some of the problem by rotating a fresh DL in the middle, covering the ends with DEs and having fresh LBs rotating through the line at different gaps. Tough to tell who was coming through and who was dropping back.

Box is a beast in the middle and a good head on his shoulders now that he's calmed down and thinks in the game better. I remember seeing the recruiting film on him when he was at Enid... beast of a safety and would terrorize kids by knocking the s**t out of them. Better player by good gap presence and knowing where the ball is.

Same for Ronnell Lewis... beast of a hitter (and still is... saw him take out a ball carrier on a punt return and really... I felt very sorry for the kid who probably woke up under the OU bench wondering how he got there and if the team was ready to practice for the big game against OU on Saturday). Ronnell is coming along nicely and is the surefire replacement for Travis when he goes pro.

And the secondary did a good job covering the deep ball with only one missed assignment. That Blackmon is amazing... expect to see him on Sundays. Imagine having him and Dez on your team?

I was a little concerned once Nelson went out... but Javon Harris surprised me. One bad coverage when he first went in but played very well thereafter... especially that solo open-field tackle on Hunter to prevent the third-down conversion. That's hard to do on a very good running back.

Good defense. Should be interesting to see next weekend... two good teams on the field battling it out.

boomermagic
11/29/2010, 10:28 PM

they gave up over 40 points saturday night.. We can be pretty good but we are NOT real good defensively..

Jmorales22
11/29/2010, 10:36 PM
they gave up over 40 points saturday night.. We can be pretty good but we are NOT real good defensively..

Uh huh, how dare they allow the pokes to take that pick to the house, and how dare they allow the pokes to return that kickoff all the way back....

and how DARE they give up a field goal after Landry's earlier pick...

boomermagic
11/29/2010, 10:43 PM
Uh huh, how dare they allow the pokes to take that pick to the house, and how dare they allow the pokes to return that kickoff all the way back....

and how DARE they give up a field goal after Landry's earlier pick...

I will agree our defense is somewhat underrated but lets be real here.. Remember Florida State 2000 ? My friend, That was defense we played that night.. They too had the number one offense and their number one offense avg. over 40 points a game DIDN'T SCORE AT ALL.. I said i agree we are probably a little underrrated and I am proud of us making progress the last few weeks but we need to be better next year defensively..

Jmorales22
11/29/2010, 10:50 PM
I will agree our defense is somewhat underrated but lets be real here.. Remember Florida State 2000 ? My friend, That was defense we played that night.. They too had the number one offense and their number one offense avg. over 40 points a game DIDN'T SCORE AT ALL.. I said i agree we are probably a little underrrated and I am proud of us making progress the last few weeks but we need to be better next year defensively..

We can agree that we're nowhere near the 2000 or 2001 defense. If you ask me, the biggest thing that needs to improve for a NC run next year is the OL, specifically the tackles.

boomermagic
11/29/2010, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm not gonna say BIGGEST thing.. The OL has to improve but it is JUST as important that our defense plays better throughout next year.. Don't get me wrong, I am damn proud of our improvement the last 3 weeks defensively but we do need to be better next year for a good run at the NC and not just our OL although that is important as well. I love great defensive play.. I'll say this our defense damn sure played hard and made the plays when we had to and so did our offense saturday night..

Tigeman
11/29/2010, 11:38 PM
It was brought up above but I want to repeat it....

We held OSU's offense wayyyyy below their season average in every category.

Remember that 14 of those points were not on the defense, as there was a pick 6 and a returned punt. Then another 3 was because of another turnover.

So in reality they held OSU to 24. The only other team that held them below 30 this year was K-state. Pretty decent. They are finally figuring it out I believe.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 11:42 PM

what are you talking about? They gave up 24 points to one of the best offenses in the nation and a late TD when we were playing prevent defense to avoid the big play.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2010, 11:49 PM
As long as we run the hurry up and strive for 90-100 snaps per game, we will *never* have defensive stats like '00 and '01. It's a fundamental trade-off. As long we score more points per possession than the other guy, it's a good trade-off.