PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Formation

janderson255
11/29/2010, 04:41 PM
After watching OU use the "Diamond Formation", I think it has made their offense even better. I think it has BIG potential! Wilson ought to put Broyles and Murray on the flanks and Millard in the "Cram it up the middle" (behind the QB... keep your mind out of the gutter) position. Mwahhahahahaha... any other combos?

Fraggle145
11/29/2010, 04:41 PM
SHOTBONE!!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2010, 04:48 PM
as a pure run formation, the pokies showed you how easy it was to defeat on saturday. we had a couple of runs in the first half with it, but then they started overloading the tailback side and we were thrown for a loss several times.

what was interesting to me was the play action passing out of it. if you keep your split to the wide side then most likely you are going ot be dealing with 1 on 1 coverage for broyles with no safety help. we got one big gain out of that, but didn't go back to it. it should be a simple count at the LOS to determine the play.

NormanPride
11/29/2010, 04:52 PM
Finch had some good stuff out of it up the middle. It needs a running QB though.

SoonerAtKU
11/29/2010, 04:54 PM
as a pure run formation, the pokies showed you how easy it was to defeat on saturday. we had a couple of runs in the first half with it, but then they started overloading the tailback side and we were thrown for a loss several times.

what was interesting to me was the play action passing out of it. if you keep your split to the wide side then most likely you are going ot be dealing with 1 on 1 coverage for broyles with no safety help. we got one big gain out of that, but didn't go back to it. it should be a simple count at the LOS to determine the play.

There should definitely be a run-pass audible call out of this if there isn't already. It's a clear run signifier that can be exploited well. I'd think there would be opportunities for a flare or wheel to Millard from this as well.

winout
11/29/2010, 04:56 PM

We also just missed out of it to Broyles on a long gain. Hopefully Landry will nail that one in the CCG.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2010, 04:56 PM
Finch had some good stuff out of it up the middle. It needs a running QB though.

the timing seems off for you to actually do an option out of it. in order to do that you'd have to run it like the wishbone with the first option being the deep tailback, the quarterback being option 2, and the other back being option 3. that just seems like it would take forever to develop.

badger
11/29/2010, 04:57 PM
Diamond should be word-filtered to Shotbone. Effective immediately. Are diamonds a girl's best friend? No. Shotbones are a girl's best friend, so if you don't have one, you best be looking elsewhere. ;)

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 05:00 PM
Shotbone? There is no option in the attack, so the name would be a misnomer.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2010, 05:05 PM

I don't remember finch doing much with the exception of a 13 yard run and a 8 or 9 yarder...

I like murray running in that formation better...its nothing spectacular, but you can tell osu wasn't ready for ou to pass out of the formation

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2010, 05:12 PM
I don't remember finch doing much with the exception of a 13 yard run and a 8 or 9 yarder...

I like murray running in that formation better...its nothing spectacular, but you can tell osu wasn't ready for ou to pass out of the formation

i was going to say, it seems to work better with a zone running back then with a slasher. it sounds odd, but finch doesn't really run with a lot of balance right now. basically, its downhill or bust. on some of those stretch plays he had so much of a forward lean to the sidelines that he couldn't turn himself up field to get yards. i actually think he'd be a lot more effective back if he'd be a little slower to the LOS, pick his hole and then put on the burst.

85sooners
11/29/2010, 05:16 PM
:pop:

MeMyself&Me
11/29/2010, 05:17 PM
Shotbones are a girl's best friend, so if you don't have one, you best be looking elsewhere. ;)

LMFAO!

thesnowbishop
11/29/2010, 05:21 PM
The play fakes coming out of it also recall the full house backfield. I could see someone trying a pistol (or a closer deep back) look out of it. A wildcat 4 back set would be interesting as well.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2010, 05:22 PM
i was going to say, it seems to work better with a zone running back then with a slasher. it sounds odd, but finch doesn't really run with a lot of balance right now. basically, its downhill or bust. on some of those stretch plays he had so much of a forward lean to the sidelines that he couldn't turn himself up field to get yards. i actually think he'd be a lot more effective back if he'd be a little slower to the LOS, pick his hole and then put on the burst.

Oh yeah I agree..A couple of times, it looked like he was stumbling once he tried to turn...And there was one where instead of trying to continue to the sideline if he cut inside of millard instead of out, he would have gotten a decent gain instead of nothing...

What made the Murray runs look good also was Finch getting out and making that block on the edge on a couple of them.

If Im not mistaken, wasn't there some passing plays they used that all 3 stayed in and blocked?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2010, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah I agree..A couple of times, it looked like he was stumbling once he tried to turn...And there was one where instead of trying to continue to the sideline if he cut inside of millard instead of out, he would have gotten a decent gain instead of nothing...

What made the Murray runs look good also was Finch getting out and making that block on the edge on a couple of them.

If Im not mistaken, wasn't there some passing plays they used that all 3 stayed in and blocked?

yeah, that was one of the big long ones that jones overthrew broyles. it is actually a perfect max protect formation because the defense is forced to give so much green to your best WR 1 on 1.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that was what I liked the most out of that formation was them forming a wall to give him time to make the down the field throws..

NormanPride
11/29/2010, 05:35 PM
the timing seems off for you to actually do an option out of it. in order to do that you'd have to run it like the wishbone with the first option being the deep tailback, the quarterback being option 2, and the other back being option 3. that just seems like it would take forever to develop.

I'm not necessarily talking about a straight option, but more of a QB run fake, then hit a back that has slipped behind a LB or out in the flat after the DE and OLB bite on the fake.

You could also use a power option with the playside back leading and the deep back as the pitch option. You could even throw in the Utah pass with the off back being the pass option.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 05:37 PM
yeah the run plays out of it set up the pass nicely; we did get a few nice runs (Finch up the middle) out of it but nothing big.

Fraggle145
11/29/2010, 05:58 PM

Nobody likes you Leroid.
SHOTBONE!!!

Fraggle145
11/29/2010, 06:01 PM
I liked it when we took it 'off-balance' and had two backs to one side or the other of Jones. Seemed to be a lot we could do from that positioning.

boomersooner28
11/29/2010, 06:02 PM
I like shotbone because there COULD be option in it if they wanted to put option in it. I just don't see Landry running any option. He could hand it off to DM7 and have DM7 run option flanked by Finch. Oooooohhhh

TUSooner
11/29/2010, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't it be more effective if the QB were a running threat? Not suggesting; just asking. :D

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 06:08 PM
Wouldn't it be more effective if the QB were a running threat? Not suggesting; just asking. :D

you got $180K to spare?

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 06:18 PM
Nobody likes you Leroid.

Yeah, but I'm right.

sendbaht
11/29/2010, 06:48 PM
I loved when they threw out of the "allmost wishbone"

I thought that come from oslose. oslose never used it I believe in the game last saturday, correct?

47straight
11/29/2010, 09:05 PM
SHOTBONE!

boomermagic
11/29/2010, 09:15 PM
Millard is a very good blocker and a pretty good inside runner I was disappointed in his dropped passes though..

opksooner
11/29/2010, 09:17 PM
There were some beautiful blocks on the corner when we ran out of the Diamond. Looked like old times.

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 09:23 PM
Would like to see the formation more, but I suppose Nebraska has a bit of game film on that. Will depend on Murray's status for the upcoming game. I hope Franks is picking up on the formation... may need him to substitute. Or maybe Kenney or Hanna... they had SEC speed in the fourth quarter on Saturday.

Widescreen
11/29/2010, 09:27 PM
Millard is a very good blocker and a pretty good inside runner I was disappointed in his dropped passes though..

Yeah, he's developed some skillet hands starting with the Baylor game. We need him to be able to move the chains by catching passes out of the backfield. One of our 4th quarter field goals was because he dropped a pass at the 4 yard line that would've set us up at first and goal.

Really, our youth movement struggled in general through the air in Stillwater. Stills had some drops and actually gave up on a route that nearly resulted in an INT. franks wasn't his usual sure handed self and he fumbled on a kickoff return.

These guys are still young and learning but the future is blindingly bright.

janderson255
11/30/2010, 12:13 PM
Running the "Shotbone" would allow for more opportunities with one on one on the edge by making the defense load up the box. Even using it in short yardage plays will help because you have 2 blockers at the flanks guarding the run up the middle. Whoever thought about bringing this formation out at OU was smart. Oh and what about overloading one side with 2 WRs and then running a run play on the other side using 2 of the blockers and a speed back... big yardage run play. Mwahahahahahah!! I LOVE IT!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 12:19 PM
Oh and what about overloading one side with 2 WRs and then running a run play on the other side using 2 of the blockers and a speed back... big yardage run play. Mwahahahahahah!! I LOVE IT!

your understanding of what is and isn't an illegal formation saddens me.

OUmillenium
11/30/2010, 12:21 PM

When they figured out we were running to the left EVERY SINGLE FN TIME it was pretty easy to defend. But that set up the play action you mentioned.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 12:26 PM
When they figured out we were running to the left EVERY SINGLE FN TIME it was pretty easy to defend. But that set up the play action you mentioned.

the power run HAS to be run to the short side of the field. EVERY TIME. the only reason the formation works is your best receiver split to the wide side. if a team wants to bracket them they have to misalign the short side to do it. what the pokies did was run blitz wide to the short side of the field.

later in the game, they tried the same thing and allowed hanna to get over the top. much like the wishbone this formation really allows tight ends to get open.

OUmillenium
11/30/2010, 12:51 PM
Yes^

Force the defense to cover X, then strike with Y and Z

janderson255
11/30/2010, 01:27 PM

I have no despute with you. Explain to me what makes it illegal. I never played football other than winning the national champtionship on NCAA Football 2007 on the PS2. Enlighten me, O great and mighty one. At least I know we are the Sooners and not the Hoosiers...

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 01:34 PM

You know, you seem to have a lot of football knowledge but sometimes your arrogance gets ahead of you. That was an inappropriately snarky comment. You could have just said "that would be an illegal formation" and left it at that. Plus, why would his lack of understanding "sadden" you?

PalmBeachSooner
11/30/2010, 01:45 PM
SHOTBONE!!!!

You guys and your fascination with boners.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 01:45 PM
You know, you seem to have a lot of football knowledge but sometimes your arrogance gets ahead of you. That was an inappropriately snarky comment. You could have just said "that would be an illegal formation" and left it at that. Plus, why would his lack of understanding "sadden" you?

one of the more interesting things about the innerwebs is that people can label you based on a perceived tone of your posts. had mjcpr or someone else typed those same sarcastic words you would never have labeled them as arrogant. people on this board say incredibly arrogant things in judgement of our coaching staff yet i seem to be the only one you seem to feel the need to jerk up short.

in general, i consider our fanbase to be fairly competent at the mechanics of football. when we get into what is "good football" i think we have the insight of a 5th grader. we aren't able to isolate any variables and just jump on one part as obviously the issue. nothing is quite that simple, which is why i took to screenshotting stuff to point this out.

CatfishSooner
11/30/2010, 01:46 PM
Finch really throws (dives into) some nice blocks out of that formation!!!! love watchin it

janderson255
11/30/2010, 01:52 PM

Well I guess some people assume everyone should be as gifted, knowledgeable, well rounded, athletic, and whitty as someone who is an All-American with 10000 posts. Me on the other hand only has a measly < 100. Got to start somewhere. At least I am trying and asking. I didnt grow up around football. I grew up in a SMALL town in East Tennessee that doesnt have a football team. We spent our invigorating Friday nights at the local Elite-Repeat clothing store hoping to find a T-shirt of our favorite football team, which was the TN Vols. I couldn't figure out why they said Go Orange until we got a color TV. Man... what a revelation. J/K. :pop:

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 01:54 PM
In general, i consider our fanbase to be fairly competent at the mechanics of football. when we get into what is "good football" i think we have the insight of a 5th grader.

LOL. Thanks for proving my point by pronouncing a verdict on our football acumen or lack thereof.

Doged
11/30/2010, 01:59 PM
one of the more interesting things about the innerwebs is that people can label you based on a perceived tone of your posts. had mjcpr or someone else typed those same sarcastic words you would never have labeled them as arrogant. people on this board say incredibly arrogant things in judgement of our coaching staff yet i seem to be the only one you seem to feel the need to jerk up short.

in general, i consider our fanbase to be fairly competent at the mechanics of football. when we get into what is "good football" i think we have the insight of a 5th grader. we aren't able to isolate any variables and just jump on one part as obviously the issue. nothing is quite that simple, which is why i took to screenshotting stuff to point this out.

In spite of all this, and your generally good posts, your comment to janderson was arrogant and snarky.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 02:01 PM
I have no despute with you. Explain to me what makes it illegal. I never played football other than winning the national champtionship on NCAA Football 2007 on the PS2. Enlighten me, O great and mighty one. At least I know we are the Sooners and not the Hoosiers...

in football, there are 6 players eligible to catch a pass (or be viewed as a WR).

you are required to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage. period. if you have 10 players on the field, 7 have to be on the LOS. of these 7 men, the ones on the end are considered eligible to catch a pass. any person in the offensive backfield is considered eligible to catch a pass.

in the diamond formation, all 4 backs are behind the center. this leaves the 2 players on the end of the formation as eligible to be a WR.

there isn't technically a way for you to have 2 WRs on the same side. one would either be covered up (meaning you can't catch a pass) or off the LOS leaving 2 few people in the backfield (illegal formation).

in a nutshell, the diamond formation has a lot of limitations and a lot of talent prereqs to make it work.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 02:04 PM
LOL. Thanks for proving my point by pronouncing a verdict on our football acumen or lack thereof.

it isn't that hard to prove. go look for "Landry Jones Sucks" after a loss, then 5 weeks later "okay i was wrong". our fanbase doubts our coaches/playcalling/players on a daily basis.

that being said, we are much further along than most fanbases who act like 2 year olds most of the time.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 02:05 PM
In spite of all this, and your generally good posts, your comment to janderson was arrogant and snarky.

and your arrogant judgment of me being arrogant and snarky is snarky

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2010, 02:08 PM
oh and it was nice while it lasted. it actually took 3 months this time before the same old crowd made a martyr out of someone. back to 04's board.

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 02:16 PM
oh and it was nice while it lasted. it actually took 3 months this time before the same old crowd made a martyr out of someone. back to 04's board.

Drama queen.

I'm not sure who the "same old crowd" is. I don't recall criticizing you before this thread, but whatever.

janderson255
11/30/2010, 02:18 PM
Running the "Shotbone" would allow for more opportunities with one on one on the edge by making the defense load up the box. Even using it in short yardage plays will help because you have 2 blockers at the flanks guarding the run up the middle. Whoever thought about bringing this formation out at OU was smart. Oh and what about overloading one side with 2 WRs and then running a run play on the other side using 2 of the blockers and a speed back... big yardage run play. Mwahahahahahah!! I LOVE IT!

OK. 7 on LOS. 2 WR (all on say left side, outside WR is eligable, Inside is not. Then you have the LT,LG,C,RG,RT. Thats 7. Then you have the shotbone (3 plus the QB). You have a total of 4? eligable, or 5? with the RT? You also have an option to run a screen to the left with the left RB in motion to the left, or a run play to the right with the shotbone with the WRs (bringing the safeties to the left) and running the left RB (in motion) as a decoy. Am I correct?:confused:

yankee
11/30/2010, 02:21 PM

04 has his own board?

delhalew
11/30/2010, 02:47 PM

I find your posts to be very valuable. Therefore, If you ever feel the urge to point out my lack of knowledge, feel free. I'm a big boy. I'll bet I can take it.
Folks need to remember, when you have a deep understanding of something, someone's overlooking something so "basic" can be shocking.

NormanPride
11/30/2010, 02:59 PM
I thought this thread was about the shotbone, and not people's feelers?

Fugue
11/30/2010, 03:09 PM
I find your posts to be very valuable. Therefore, If you ever feel the urge to point out my lack of knowledge, feel free. I'm a big boy. I'll bet I can take it.
Folks need to remember, when you have a deep understanding of something, someone's overlooking something so "basic" can be shocking.

I don't know whether to :D at the sarcasm or :eek: if you're serious.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2010, 03:09 PM
Oh, me too. Please insult me next.

Howzit
11/30/2010, 03:18 PM

Oh well, better than mjcpr leaving.

And Finch does so have balance.

C&CDean
11/30/2010, 03:21 PM
Oh fer ****'s sake. I insult more posters - in a much more snarky way - in a single hour than jkm has in his entire SF.com career.

How about you thin-skinned girly men lighten up with all your PMSing and hurt vajayjays and let it run off your back. Of course if jkm leaves again because of this silliness then he better look at his vajayjay in the mirror too. Ain't no big thing...

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2010, 03:22 PM
Widescreen, we live in a world that has football idiots, and those idiots have to be enlightened by men with real football skills. Who's gonna do it? You? You, mjcpr? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for 5th grade football fans, and you curse the experts. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That football education of the fans, while tragic, probably saved fans. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves fans. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that film room, you need me in that film room. We use words like coverage, formations, recruiting. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defining something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very football education that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you get in the film room, and start learning the play book. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Howzit
11/30/2010, 03:22 PM
Oh fer ****'s sake. I insult more posters - in a much more snarky way - in a single hour than jkm has in his entire SF.com career.

How about you thin-skinned girly men lighten up with all your PMSing and hurt vajayjays and let it run off your back. Of course if jkm leaves again because of this silliness then he better look at his vajayjay in the mirror too. Ain't no big thing...
We've moved on to whether Finch has balance. Keep up.

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 03:29 PM
Oh well, better than mjcpr leaving.

I'm not so sure about that.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2010, 03:33 PM
mjcpr left?

oumartin
11/30/2010, 03:34 PM
I like it when that one guy that stands back behind those bent over guys keeps acting like he is stepping on a bug or like he's trying to not have to reach into his pants to adjust himself cuz his pubes are being pulled gets the ball passed back to him by one of those bent over guys and then gives that ball to one of them other guys back there with him and then they run really fast and hard through them other guys and when they can't wrestle him to the ground he runs all the way to those big upright yellow poles. Most of those guys must be pretty dumb cuz they don't give high fives or butt slaps but wanna bump hips.

NormanPride
11/30/2010, 03:35 PM
I thought we were supposed to be snarky and mad after losses? Not awesome poke-kicking wins that send us to title games.

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2010, 03:38 PM
mjcpr left?

Who's on first?:gary:

Fugue
11/30/2010, 03:38 PM
i believe thats "sharty" you're thinking of.

I know when MO beat us, I gambled and lost.:gary:

soonermix
11/30/2010, 03:42 PM
SHOTBONE

Widescreen
11/30/2010, 03:46 PM
mjcpr left?

We can hope.

Fugue
11/30/2010, 03:48 PM
04 has his own board?

Lonestar.com

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2010, 03:49 PM
We can hope.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5480/hope0.jpg

MonkeyMouth
11/30/2010, 03:55 PM
Lonestar.com

I see what you did there.

Caboose
11/30/2010, 04:16 PM

The term wishbone was coined due to the shape of the formation, not the tendencies to run the option out of it.

SCOUT
11/30/2010, 04:23 PM
They should call that touchdown play out of the shotbone more often.

KABOOKIE
11/30/2010, 06:02 PM
One thing is for sure if I had a vajayjay, I would definitely look at it with a mirror. Hawt.

oumartin
11/30/2010, 06:13 PM
One thing is for sure if I had a vajayjay, I would definitely look at it with a mirror. Hawt.

if you had one I would probably ask to look at it and possibly touch it and I'm not even your brother!

MamaMia
11/30/2010, 06:27 PM

May I have that link please? :)

SoonerBorn68
11/30/2010, 07:35 PM

Have you ever played/coached, or just a "student" of the game?

SoonerBorn68
11/30/2010, 07:37 PM

And if by martyr you meant dooshbag, you'd be correct.

KABOOKIE
11/30/2010, 07:40 PM
Where's is 04's board? I betcha it sucks *** and would rate http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/rating/rating_1.gif

ouwasp
11/30/2010, 07:56 PM
SHOTBONE... sounds good.....

proudsoonergal
11/30/2010, 08:08 PM
FIRE VENERABLES!!!!!

:D

toast
11/30/2010, 08:21 PM
And if by martyr you meant dooshbag, you'd be correct.

real classy

sooner ngintunr
11/30/2010, 08:29 PM

SoonerBorn68
11/30/2010, 09:04 PM
real classy

Really? It was suppose to come off as arrogant & know-it-all-ish. ;)

Sooner_Bob
11/30/2010, 09:36 PM
Really? It was suppose to come off as arrogant & know-it-all-ish. ;)

Oh it did. It did.
:texan:

KABOOKIE
11/30/2010, 09:51 PM
Looking at a vajayjay with a mirror is real classy. Like Playboy classy. Good stuff. Oh and martin, I've seen your vajayjay. It's only fair you see mine.

MonkeyMouth
11/30/2010, 11:15 PM

delhalew
11/30/2010, 11:57 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Being insulting kind of goes with my oatmeal and coffee in the morning. By dinner time I'm a real prick.

achiro
12/1/2010, 09:49 AM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

SoonerMarkVA
12/1/2010, 10:07 AM

I could see another option sequence. option 1 is with either flanking back, like the zone option read. If the back takes it, he's off, with the other flank back lead blocking. If the QB keeps, then it's an option sweep with the deep back.

Don't know how effective it would be, but it would be bang-bang, and the formation gives no information about which way the options are going.

Sooner Brewcrew
12/1/2010, 10:14 AM

I think it can be a very successful formation if they both run and pass out of it but I agree, running alone out of it will not get big yards every time. Defenses will catch on.

OUmillenium
12/1/2010, 10:35 AM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! It's back!!! I thought the shots cured it!!!

I Am Right
12/1/2010, 08:25 PM
I like

Eielson
12/1/2010, 08:31 PM
yeah, that was one of the big long ones that jones overthrew broyles. it is actually a perfect max protect formation because the defense is forced to give so much green to your best WR 1 on 1.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if it's been said, but Holgorsen said he started running the diamond formation to get Blackmon one on one.