PDA

View Full Version : Best Store Brands/Discount Brands

royalfan5
11/29/2010, 03:47 PM
I buy a lot of Midwest Country Fare breads and crackers. I've always like Shur-Fine better than Our family. Jiffy makes a good muffin/corn bread. Archer Farms has pretty decent frozen vegetables.

The
11/29/2010, 03:50 PM
You must be poor. You should work on that.

DIB
11/29/2010, 03:54 PM
I used to mix Sam's Choice Twist Up with cheap bourbon in college.

The
11/29/2010, 03:55 PM
I mix Sam's Choice Twist Up with cheap bourbon for breakfast.

Moar likelee.

DIB
11/29/2010, 04:10 PM
Moar likelee.

How rude! I drink my breakfast bourbon neat, like a real man.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 04:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Sam's Club bottled water.

I'm probably one of the most brand loyal people on the planet though. Everything I buy has to be the right brand or I won't eat it.

Peanut Butter -- Peter Pan Creamy

Jelly -- Welch's Grape

Bread -- Rainbow White (Although it's hard to find in MS, so I had to try different breads to see what was the closest and surprisingly the Wal-Mart brand bread is incredibly fresh and tastes exactly like Rainbow White).

Pop -- Pepsi

Ice Cream -- Bluebell, Hiland, or Braum's.

I'm trying to think of some other offbrands that I like...the Honey Roasted Peanuts from Best Choice are soooo much better than Planters.

AlbqSooner
11/29/2010, 05:06 PM

I'm probably one of the most brand loyal people on the planet though. Everything I buy has to be the right brand or I won't eat it.

Jelly -- Welch's Grape

Bread -- Rainbow White (Although it's hard to find in MS, so I had to try different breads to see what was the closest and surprisingly the Wal-Mart brand bread is incredibly fresh and tastes exactly like Rainbow White).

Pop -- Pepsi

I'm trying to think of some other offbrands that I like...the Honey Roasted Peanuts from Best Choice are soooo much better than Planters.

A few years ago when they had to recall the Peter Pan Peanut butter, they listed the various lot numbers and so forth that were subject to the recall. The also listed the lot numbers of the Great Value peanut butter that was subject to the same recall. The come out of the same vat.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 05:08 PM
A few years ago when they had to recall the Peter Pan Peanut butter, they listed the various lot numbers and so forth that were subject to the recall. The also listed the lot numbers of the Great Value peanut butter that was subject to the same recall. The come out of the same vat.

Yeah, that was one of the darkest periods of my life. I've been eating nothing but Peter Pan since I was a very little boy. I had to switch to Jif. :Shudder:

soonerbrat
11/29/2010, 05:11 PM
you switched to Jif? I just quit eating peanut butter til it got the OK.

Oldnslo
11/29/2010, 05:33 PM
why am I not surprised that Sic is OCD about food.

soonerbrat
11/29/2010, 05:42 PM
why am I not surprised that Sic is OCD about food.

because nothing about him should surprise you, ever.

ouleaf
11/29/2010, 05:52 PM
Most generic cereals taste exactly the same as the name brand I have found and cost far less.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 05:55 PM
Most generic cereals taste exactly the same as the name brand I have found and cost far less.

I disagree. They tend to have a waxy aftertaste...especially the Frosted Flakes knockoffs. They seem to go stale faster as well.

Turd_Ferguson
11/29/2010, 05:59 PM
Most generic cereals taste exactly the same as the name brand I have found and cost far less.^^^^^^This. A few months back, I bought the off brand "bag" of Cap'n Crunch. My kids and wife pissed and moaned about it. Couple of weeks later, bought the same thing along with a tupperware type dispenser for cereal. Poured it in there and through the bag away before they could see it. They never batted an eye.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Suckers!!!!!

C O R N * D O G
11/29/2010, 06:26 PM
^^^^^^This. A few months back, I bought the off brand "bag" of Cap'n Crunch. My kids and wife pissed and moaned about it. Couple of weeks later, bought the same thing along with a tupperware type dispenser for cereal. Poured it in there and through the bag away before they could see it. They never batted an eye.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Suckers!!!!!

You do the grocery shopping?

fadge

Sooner5030
11/29/2010, 06:50 PM
Seagrams VO is half the price of crown royal and I cannot taste the difference

VeeJay
11/30/2010, 08:45 PM
This is what I do for a living in my exciting, sexy business life. I know a good bit about private label, store brands,own brands - whatever you wanna call it. AlbqSooner is right - as regarding the peanut butter, it all comes out of the same vat, or same two or three vats. There's a lot of "co-packing" done too, which means if Con-Agra supplies Wal-Mart with their P.L. Peanut Butter, chances are their brands are of the same quality (Peter Pan) - that's why the peanut butter recall was so widespread. Rat poop in food processing plants affects a lot of retailers. Kroger and Safeway do not make their own peanut butter, but they keep these plants in business. There is a certain ppm (parts per million) of insect parts that are allowable as "safe" by the FDA in stuff like peanut butter and chocolate. The FDA inspectors don't get around to inspect plants as often as they're supposed to (unless there are previous, egregious violations), so sometimes plants go unnoticed until people are sick, dead or whatever. This doesn't happen often because our food supply is generally very safe.

Economics tell me more and more food is beginning to come from China (canned pumpkin was one I recently was surveyed on). This is probably not a good thing since China is so damn polluted, but the big companies like Wal-Mart supposedly have plant qualifying standards in place and will not accept substandard products.

Recalls are very expensive and time-consuming to administer. Once the food supply goes to China, there's not much left that we produce here. (Some perishable products, dairy and ice cream are the exceptions) Look around your office or home and find something that's still produced or manufactured in the USA. Draw your own conclusions.

Generally speaking, store brands are of comparable or better quality than their national brands counterparts. The quality falls off somewhat into the "third tier" or generic knockoffs, but the cost savings is enough to justify that and there's a consumer demographic that wants that lower quality.

VeeJay
11/30/2010, 08:46 PM
Seagrams VO is half the price of crown royal and I cannot taste the difference

My experience as a drunk has been the difference in the severity of the headache.

Thaumaturge
12/1/2010, 09:57 AM
"Cheegles" are every bit as good as Cheetos.

Soonerwake
12/1/2010, 01:48 PM
Doesn't this off-brand or store-brand vs. name-brand issue also apply to OTC medications??

soonersweetie
12/1/2010, 05:12 PM
I will buy store brand ibuprofen or store brand "Sudafed". Works just as well, if not better.

White Cloud toilet paper (at Walmart) is just as good as Northern, in my opinion. 4 roll pack is only $2.

One thing to note is that most store brands are less expensive than the name brands. And while I'm not necessarily a "cheap" person, I do like to save money on groceries so that I can spend it more fun things, like shoes and eating out and OU Tickets :)

And I realize that peanut butter may all very well come out of the same place, but I have to have Peter Pan.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2010, 05:56 PM

Jelly -- Welch's Grape

Pop -- Pepsi

yes, this fits.

ouleaf
12/1/2010, 06:16 PM
I will buy store brand ibuprofen or store brand "Sudafed". Works just as well, if not better.

White Cloud toilet paper (at Walmart) is just as good as Northern, in my opinion. 4 roll pack is only $2.

^This^

Agree on the generic cold/headache meds. Way cheaper.

Also agree about TP. I suppose I do buy Kleenex brands for facial tissue, b/c I do think there is a significant difference there on quality.