PDA

View Full Version : Landry was Heupelesque saturday.

adoniijahsooner
11/29/2010, 12:20 PM
I pretty much never judge players by stats, because the game is about much more than numbers imo. One thing I loved about Josh, is that he could have multiple interceptions in a game and still make the plays that will his team to victory. The knock on LJ is that when things go wrong, he caves, but against OSU he just kept on fighting and made 2 of the biggest plays in bedlam history. These are the sort of games that can give him confidence to take his already good game to the next level.

I bring this up because Landry is about to face a team that he had his worst game against by far.....I think he will ball his *** off in Dallas!!

thecynic
11/29/2010, 12:41 PM
Landry overall had a good game, but he wasn't Heupelesque as you say in my opinion. He made a great pass to Kenney, but the pass before that should've been picked. If that happens and osu wins, he is the goat not Heupelesque. As it stands he had a good game in a tough situation and his team won. I don't get the sense that he has control of the team like Heuple did. That being said hopefully he can grow from this and we will have a better qb going forward.

stoopified
11/29/2010, 12:54 PM
I pretty much never judge players by stats, because the game is about much more than numbers imo. One thing I loved about Josh, is that he could have multiple interceptions in a game and still make the plays that will his team to victory. The knock on LJ is that when things go wrong, he caves, but against OSU he just kept on fighting and made 2 of the biggest plays in OU-OSU history. These are the sort of games that can give him confidence to take his already good game to the next level.

I bring this up because Landry is about to face a team that he had his worst game against by far.....I think he will ball his *** off in Dallas!!very true

cynic what COULD OF happened is moot. Heupel,Bradford,White and any other QB you want to name have thrown passes that COULD OF or even SHOULD OF been picked but they weren't t so they are irrelevant.

thecynic
11/29/2010, 01:01 PM
very true

cynic what COULD OF happened is moot. Heupel,Bradford,White and any other QB you want to name have thrown passes that COULD OF or even SHOULD OF been picked but they weren't t so they are irrelevant.

granted. but comparing what he did to Josh Heupel isn't just. I stand by my statment that Jones, doesn't seem to be the leader of the team that Heupel was. If he can take this team on the road and win, (osu is only a modified road trip they travel there the day of the game) then we'll be getting closer.
Jones has some great stats, but I can't put him anywhere near Heupel yet.

oudavid1
11/29/2010, 01:02 PM
I pretty much never judge players by stats, because the game is about much more than numbers imo. One thing I loved about Josh, is that he could have multiple interceptions in a game and still make the plays that will his team to victory. The knock on LJ is that when things go wrong, he caves, but against OSU he just kept on fighting and made 2 of the biggest plays in OU-OSU history. These are the sort of games that can give him confidence to take his already good game to the next level.

I bring this up because Landry is about to face a team that he had his worst game against by far.....I think he will ball his *** off in Dallas!!

This what happens when you judge a guy when he is RS Freshman. You guys have to remember last year he wasnt the starter all year, and didnt get enough 1st string snaps. Landry is incredible and i have thought so all along. Think how good he will be in 2 years.....think how good he'll be Saturday.

rekamrettuB
11/29/2010, 01:11 PM
granted. but comparing what he did to Josh Heupel isn't just. I stand by my statment that Jones, doesn't seem to be the leader of the team that Heupel was. If he can take this team on the road and win, (osu is only a modified road trip they travel there the day of the game) then we'll be getting closer.

Jones is a sophomore that started last year due to injury. Heupel was a SR that earned the leadership role the year before. I think Jones might have earned the respect and leadership role Saturday night. Stoops was really propping him up in the locker room speech post game. He's been waiting for that opportunity for a while now.

oumartin
11/29/2010, 01:33 PM
Landry's throw to Kenney was Landry's best throw ever. He threw that sucker with some zip and caught kenney in perfect stride and it was a huge 3rd down deep in his own territory. MONEY

Sooner Brewcrew
11/29/2010, 01:36 PM
I felt like LJ had a pretty good game. I still would not put him in the category with Heupel though. But it is also unfair to make that comparison becuase heupal was not a very gifted athelete but he had that intangeble "something" that I like to call being a field general that I don't see from LJ. But not many QBs have that intangeble.

cyclonesooner
11/29/2010, 02:20 PM
Good points, Cynic. Jones is improving on a daily basis and when he has time to set his feet, throws as well as anyone in the country, IMO. He does have the tendency to overthrow receivers wide open on the bomb. Jason White was so very good at making that type of throw.

Joe
11/29/2010, 02:40 PM

FFS, you got any other requirements for what constitutes a great win? Please lay them out here so we know what it takes for our players to satisfy you.

thecornrules
11/29/2010, 02:43 PM
and after this weekend, after Sat night, Jones will just be another QB who didn't have what it takes along with a team who doesn't have what it takes to beat a great defense. We'll make this guy look worse than we made Jake Locker at Washington look. Nobody before or since has held that guy to 4 or 20 for 67 yards or whatever. Unbeatable great. That is Pelini. He's Bob Stoops on steroids!!

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys quit midway 2nd qtr or by end of 3rd qtr it might get that bad. You better not let it come down to a FG either and it won't I'm sure, because we have the best kicker ever

thecornrules
11/29/2010, 02:46 PM
Good points, Cynic. Jones is improving on a daily basis and when he has time to set his feet, throws as well as anyone in the country, IMO. He does have the tendency to overthrow receivers wide open on the bomb. Jason White was so very good at making that type of throw.

and this weekend, Jones won't have the time to do this, set his feet. I predict he panics, gets sacks, throws picks and turns it over all night long. Your OL is very soft especially run defense. but we'll throw so many blitzes and pass pressure, your heads will all be spinning before end of 1st qtr

ultimatesooner1
11/29/2010, 02:47 PM
and after this weekend, after Sat night, Jones will just be another QB who didn't have what it takes along with a team who doesn't have what it takes to beat a great defense. We'll make this guy look worse than we made Jake Locker at Washington look. Nobody before or since has held that guy to 4 or 20 for 67 yards or whatever. Unbeatable great. That is Pelini. He's Bob Stoops on steroids!!

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys quit midway 2nd qtr or by end of 3rd qtr it might get that bad. You better not let it come down to a FG either and it won't I'm sure, because we have the best kicker ever

Thanks Husker Penguin

CowboyMRW
11/29/2010, 02:48 PM
You guys made Weeden look like a pro and Hunter had 200 yards on you. Get over yourself and your defense. If we had any type of defense we would've won by 21.

ocsooner
11/29/2010, 02:51 PM
I think that if Jones starts going through his reads and looking off the defense, he has the potential to be named with Heupel. Right now, he is a good QB with a rocket arm. If he can turn his head and confuse the defense, he will be great.

meoveryouxinfinity

:D :D :D :D

Washington Huskies.. winner of four....no,... FIVE games!

That means they're like, what? As good as Texas?

winout

Did you guys get anyone who can catch a forward pass yet? Loved that UT game in Lincoln. Nice coaching decision to replace the qb... the 2nd guy comes in and the receivers keep dropping the passes. Classic coaching right there fella!

fadada1
11/29/2010, 02:55 PM
You guys made Weeden look like a pro and Hunter had 200 yards on you. Get over yourself and your defense. If we had any type of defense we would've won by 21.

IF...

SoonerFaninAZ
11/29/2010, 03:38 PM
IF...

Um...I think you may have missed something there.

gernblansten
11/29/2010, 03:43 PM
LJ played very well Saturday, then played poorly, then played well...

agoo758
11/29/2010, 03:45 PM

Yeah, and if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot for four quarters against Mizzou and ATM, we are playing for a National Championship. We got over it, so should you.

oudavid1
11/29/2010, 03:54 PM

Martinez, a true freshman! HAD 5 TD PASSES AND 100 yards Rushing!!!

YOU HAVE NO ROOM TO TALK!!!

You guys got owned by one player.

Dan Thompson
11/29/2010, 04:50 PM
One thing I noticed during his passes, he step up into the pocket much more that before. In the past he would backup and try to run.

Soonerfan88
11/29/2010, 05:03 PM
Obviously, cynic doesn't listen to or read player interviews. Landry has had his teammates support since last year. QB or not, you don't vote someone a team captain unless you are willing to follow them. DM even said that if LJ had been able to call audibles at aTm, they probably would have won. Landry, like Sam before him, is calm and confident in his leadership. Just because he doesn't have Teblow type antics doesn't mean he isn't in charge of this team.

Just because the guy isn't a Sam Bradford clone doesn't mean he is another Chrissy Simms either.

thecynic
11/29/2010, 05:12 PM
Just because the guy isn't a Sam Bradford clone doesn't mean he is another Chrissy Simms either.

not insinuating that at all. We'll probably never have another Bradford. My only point is, he is not at this point like Heupel. To say that he is is crazy. He's a good not great qb that has tons of upside. He isn't Heupelesque yet and Sat. night didn't change that.

85sooners
11/29/2010, 05:17 PM
:gary:

thecynic
11/29/2010, 06:11 PM
:gary:

dam that creepy gary england!

East Coast Bias
11/29/2010, 06:19 PM
How can these Huskers talk trash after getting beat by *? If Martinez isn't 100% or if the coach is up his *** again, they will be lucky to score 2 TD's...

C O R N * D O G
11/29/2010, 06:31 PM
no

PLaw
11/29/2010, 06:33 PM
The bulldog played well - he stepped up when the chips were on the line and that spells W-I-N-N-E-R.

Granted, he had some lapses early when he didn't put the ball in the grandstand's 20th row and telegraphed a pass that this old man could have picked.

At the end of the day, he is developing into MONEY. Not there yet, but no reason to think that he won't be - soon.

BOOMER

slh1234
11/29/2010, 07:54 PM

Looking for consolation on the OU board?

if, if, if ...

IronSoonerMan
11/29/2010, 08:18 PM
Looking for consolation on the OU board?

if, if, if ...
I believe Cowboy is talking about Nebraska....

A Sooner in Texas
11/29/2010, 09:49 PM
So now we have pokes and bugeaters talking smack to each other on a Sooner board. :rolleyes:

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 10:04 PM
Landry had a rough first half but stood in there and didn't fold this time like he has in the past. This is the game that gave him the cajones to stand tall, trust his protection and go through his progressions faster. The system is taking away his ability to make his own reads on the defense and audibles at the line once he sees the alignment and who jumps... that's the step to being an elite QB.

I suspect this game will be a huge step in his education as a pocket QB and his confidence is certainly better. This team fought hard and Landry overcame a lot of mental mistakes to help win this game.

Team effort... that's what we take to Dallas this weekend.

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 10:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Hunter had 55 yards and Weeden was held to his lowest yardage of the season, 2 TDs and 3 INTs.

So when you write "look like a pro"... I suppose you mean Jamarcus Russell?

CowboyMRW
11/29/2010, 10:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Hunter had 55 yards and Weeden was held to his lowest yardage of the season, 2 TDs and 3 INTs.

So when you write "look like a pro"... I suppose you mean Jamarcus Russell?

Talking to the Nebraska guy that said they had an All-Pro defense

CowboyMRW
11/29/2010, 10:18 PM
I'm over the Nebraska game. I was just replying to the person that said Landry will quit by the 2nd period because they have the greatest defense ever.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 10:27 PM
So now we have pokes and bugeaters talking smack to each other on a Sooner board. :rolleyes:

With Sooner fans talking smack at both of them.