PDA

View Full Version : TCU Invited to Big East

jonclarkx
11/29/2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_texas_christian_universitys_horned_frogs_invite d_into_the_big_east_source.html

In a move designed to prop up a weak football conference, The Big East has convinced TCU to leave the Mountain West and join the league as an all sports member, sources told the Daily News early this morning. Commissioner John Marinatto and Associate Commisioner in charge of communications John Paquette both flew to Dallas yesterday for the official announcement at 1 p.m. today.

The Horned Frogs, a small private school located in Ft. Worth, are currently the No. 3 ranked team in the BCS standings and are set to at least play in the Rose Bowl this January after completing a perfect 12-0 record. If either Auburn or Oregon lose this Saturday, there is a strong chance TCU will be in the national championship game Jan. 10 at Glendale, Arizona.

A timetable for the Frogs' entrance to the league has yet to be determined, but this will mean the football AD's will get a ninth team they are looking for to form a balanced schedule. It will also give TCU what it wants-- a chance to play in a BCS automatic qualifying conference. None of the football AD's, which drove this expansion, seems to mind that every other sport will have to travel half way across the country for road games. They just view it as a price of survival.

The Big East has been taking criticism this season because it has no teams ranked in to Top 16 of the BCS standings and there is a good chance UConn-- a four loss team-- will represent the league in the BCS, most likely playing the Big 12 champion in the Fiesta Bowl.

For all we know, this could be just the first domino to drop in expansion. With TCU, the league now has 17 teams. The Big East has offered Villanova a chance to join in football, b ut the Philadelphia school seems to be dragging its feet about a decision and there is always a chance the Big East could invite Central Florida or even re-invite Temple to create a 10th football team and an 18th team in the league.

There is also a chance the football schools could eventually break away and form their own league.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_texas_christian_universitys_horned_frogs_invite d_into_the_big_east_source.html#ixzz16gRgFjHm

sooner59
11/29/2010, 09:58 AM
Figured it would happen sooner or later.

UteSooner
11/29/2010, 10:01 AM
Good for them. Ha Ha to Boise. Leave the WAC to join Utah, BYU and TCU only to have them all leave.

So do they (Big East) pick up one more football team and then have the football teams break away from the others?

ouleaf
11/29/2010, 10:04 AM
This has been rumored for quite a while....can't blame them for moving up to a BCS conference. I'm sure they'd much rather join the Big 12, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem like its going to be a possibility.

jonclarkx
11/29/2010, 10:08 AM
I'm sure they'd much rather join the Big 12, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem like its going to be a possibility.

I'm sure they want to join the Big 12, but I don't think the Big 12 really wants them.

badger
11/29/2010, 10:13 AM
An airport had an old issue of SI up so I saw this article mentioning TCU possibly going to the Big East. Everyone read this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1177192/index.htm). It's a good article on why the bowl system, which I've always loved despite its obvious flaws, fails.

Lawton4Life
11/29/2010, 10:15 AM
Isnt this going to be tough on the travel budget of a private school? I mean you've got to fly the womens lacross team out to Syracuse right?

DrZaius
11/29/2010, 10:18 AM
I was hoping that they would invite them to re-build the big 12 but I guess not.

fwsooner22
11/29/2010, 10:27 AM
Press Conference 1:00 PM. This is a serious blow to the Big 12.

mgsooner
11/29/2010, 10:28 AM

No it's not.

Sooners78
11/29/2010, 10:28 AM
Isnt this going to be tough on the travel budget of a private school? I mean you've got to fly the womens lacross team out to Syracuse right?

And, when their football fortunes take a turn for the worse, they'll really be in trouble. Not a smart move. If they were patient, they could get in a BCS conference closer to home.

TCU is making a nice run presently, but who knows where they'll be in 5 years.

rekamrettuB
11/29/2010, 10:31 AM

Well right now they go to Wyoming, San Diego, Colorado a couple times, Utah a couple times so it won't be that much of a change.

cantwait48
11/29/2010, 10:37 AM
yeah, Boise is every bit as far as Syracuse from tcu

ouleaf
11/29/2010, 10:45 AM
And, when their football fortunes take a turn for the worse, they'll really be in trouble. Not a smart move. If they were patient, they could get in a BCS conference closer to home.

TCU is making a nice run presently, but who knows where they'll be in 5 years.

As long as Patterson is running the program they'll be fine. Also being right in the middle of one of the biggest football recruiting hot-beds doesn't hurt either.

delhalew
11/29/2010, 10:45 AM

LMAO. Serious blow? This is me not giving two ****s.

Veritas
11/29/2010, 10:48 AM
This has been rumored for quite a while....can't blame them for moving up to a BCS conference. I'm sure they'd much rather join the Big 12, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem like its going to be a possibility.
And be UT's bitch? I doubt they're interested in that.

OUinFLA
11/29/2010, 10:51 AM
An airport had an old issue of SI up so I saw this article mentioning TCU possibly going to the Big East. Everyone read this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1177192/index.htm). It's a good article on why the bowl system, which I've always loved despite its obvious flaws, fails.

thanks badg, that was a very interesting perspective.

ouleaf
11/29/2010, 10:51 AM
I'm sure they want to join the Big 12, but I don't think the Big 12 really wants them.

I'm thinking it's Texas that doesn't want them more than anything. I don't think Texas likes the thought of another school being the best team in Texas.

Another issue is it would also present some problems of restructuring the Divisions if they joined. Another Texas team means both us and OSU would more than likely have to move to the North Division, which would end up with us not playing Texas every year during the regular season.

85sooners
11/29/2010, 10:54 AM
:gary:

Shakadoodoo
11/29/2010, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking it's Texas that doesn't want them more than anything. I don't think Texas likes the thought of another school being the best team in Texas.

Another issue is it would also present some problems of restructuring the Divisions if they joined. Another Texas team means both us and OSU would more than likely have to move to the North Division, which would end up with us not playing Texas every year during the regular season.

The Big 12 does not need another team in Texas - We have 4 already and adding another Texas school will not increase the Big 12 Market share. I am sure the Big 12 is looking to expand their market share in other states that we are not in such as Arkansas, Tenn, ect...

soonerloyal
11/29/2010, 10:57 AM
I say we put TCU in the Big 12 South, move OSU up to the North and Tulsa in with them. Hmmm?

:)

delhalew
11/29/2010, 10:59 AM

If OU and Texas want to play every year, it is easily done regardless of conference or division.
How does USC play ND every year? Seminoles and Gators? How did the SEC keep cross divisional rivalries intact?

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 11:02 AM
Don't think so. TCU is not going to the Big East if the Big 12 had a hint of interest.

Shakadoodoo
11/29/2010, 11:05 AM
If OU and Texas want to play every year, it is easily done regardless of conference or division.
How does USC play ND every year? Seminoles and Gators? How did the SEC keep cross divisional rivalries intact?

That is true but obviously the Big 12 is against that. If they were willing to do that we would have been playing Nebraska every year. I could be wrong but when I was young I remember the OU - Nebraska games much more than I remember the OU - Texas games.

Veritas
11/29/2010, 11:06 AM
This article is brilliant (originally posted by Badger): printer friendly link here (http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=TCU+unleashed+its+purple+power+against+-+11.15.10+-+SI+Vault&expire=&urlID=440138832&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fvault %2Farticle%2Fmagazine%2FMAG1177192%2Findex.htm&partnerID=289881)

fadada1
11/29/2010, 11:07 AM
TCU to the big east????

once again, i look to the football bat to make sense of this.

delhalew
11/29/2010, 11:10 AM
That is true but obviously the Big 12 is against that. If they were willing to do that we would have been playing Nebraska every year. I could be wrong but when I was young I remember the OU - Nebraska games much more than I remember the OU - Texas games.

Exactly, **** the big 12. I don't care if we stay. Tradition is important. Nebraska pulled the cord. I no longer give a damn. We should go indie.

BoomerSooner, esq.
11/29/2010, 11:11 AM
I cant blame TCU. Why not go to a crappy conference with an automatic bid where they have a great chance to dominate year in and year out? Also, should help their east coast recruiting substantially. I would rather see them in the Big 12, but clearly the Big 12 hasnt given them serious consideration or IMO they would join.

fwsooner22
11/29/2010, 11:11 AM
Arkansas is not leaving the SEC. There are very few if any viable options left. TCU was an easy addition. I realize most of you are experts and say you don't care but this would've been an easy addition and an easy drive for most of you. It also put OU in the metro area another week. Tickets are easy to get. No I don't believe TCU was wanted by the Big 12. The Big 12 Texas schools don't want it.

If you say you don't care you are not paying attention.

The
11/29/2010, 11:18 AM
So, when the SUPERCONFERENCES are finally born, we'll get to be with Boise State and the rest of the dead MWC.

Jacie
11/29/2010, 11:20 AM
Still trying to understand this move. I guess what it does is give the Big East the leverage to remain an AQ (though that would not be an issue for a couple of more years at the earliest). Besides that, however, what they get with the horned frogs is an opportunity for the rest of league to add an "L" to the won-loss stats and greatly reduces the odds of any of the current Big East teams making it to a BCS bowl . . .

delhalew
11/29/2010, 11:32 AM
Mountain. Mole hill.

MeMyself&Me
11/29/2010, 11:41 AM
Arkansas is not leaving the SEC. There are very few if any viable options left. TCU was an easy addition. I realize most of you are experts and say you don't care but this would've been an easy addition and an easy drive for most of you. It also put OU in the metro area another week. Tickets are easy to get. No I don't believe TCU was wanted by the Big 12. The Big 12 Texas schools don't want it.

If you say you don't care you are not paying attention.

Adding TCU to the Big 12 would have cost all the current teams money because they would have to 'divide the pie' with a team that added no markets. This is why nobody cares (or at least the ones that gave it a lick of thought).

Still trying to understand this move. I guess what it does is give the Big East the leverage to remain an AQ (though that would not be an issue for a couple of more years at the earliest). Besides that, however, what they get with the horned frogs is an opportunity for the rest of league to add an "L" to the won-loss stats and greatly reduces the odds of any of the current Big East teams making it to a BCS bowl . . .

1) This does help the Big East keep their AQ status but not the most important reason.

2) It also adds access to a very large TV market that the Big East has zero impact in right now. This will increase the TV contract premiums they can ask for so it makes everyone more money in that conference.

3) All the current teams will have more access to Texas recruits with a Texas presence so it gives them a chance to improve their programs.

5) TCU will now get an AQ birth by winning its conference. Also better conference TV money. So more money and a better situation.

6) Travel was already bad for TCU in the MWC so this is not an issue.

Everyone wins. That's why this is a smart move.

Shakadoodoo
11/29/2010, 11:42 AM
Expansion is all about increasing our TV market and TCU will not do that for the Big 12 - There would be nothing to gain by adding TCU.

What teams are viable candidates for Big 12 expansion?
by Mike Breese on Jun 15, 2010 2:25 AM CDT in Football

Well, the gang has finally decided to stay together and gobble up all of the television money for themselves. The theoretical TV money. As in the process of putting together a lucrative deal for some sort of Big 12 network is still miles away. Somehow, some way, Dan Beebe was able to put these numbers together on a chalk board and sway the big dogs in this whole situation: The Texas Longhorns. This always was their game as they called the shots in this whole situation the entire way.

The theoretical "Pac-16" sounds a lot better in theory than what it actually could have turned into. Would that many people actually have watched that potential network? It just seemed so big, so bloated. The Pac-10 hadn't accomplished anything even remotely close to a successful TV deal beforehand, so why would it be any different this time around. Would all of that money make it to all of the teams? Probably not, and that's why the Big 12 is sticking with 10 teams. I won't even get into the whole super-conference Armageddon that has also been averted.

Now with 10 teams, the conference has a lot of decisions to make. As of right now, they aren't even allowed to have a conference championship game unless they get the NCAA to changes their rules. Ironically enough, both the Big 10 and the Pac-10 (if they add Utah) will be adding championship games to the end of their conference seasons.

So what will the Big 12 do? Will they sit back and work out a TV deal? Or will they expand right away?

It's easier to look at the teams that won't be in Big 12 expansion talks and work our way up.

Who's not going to the Big 12 anytime soon: TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice & Tulsa. The Big 12 has nothing to gain in terms of exposure by adding any more Texas schools as the market is already saturated by Texas (mostly), Texas A&M, Texas Tech & Baylor. As for Tulsa, do you really think OU & OSU would allow that to happen? Not to mention, the Big 12 is looking for schools to fill the north division and you can't break up Texas, Oklahoma & Okie State from the South.

Also, don't believe the Memphis bounty. Aside from a couple decent seasons in the early 2000s, the Tigers have historically been one of the most losing teams in the nation. Not to mention Memphis' TV market is only 50th in the nation.

The Candidates

Air Force - A military academy that is going to have good support wherever they travel to or appear on TV. Have been experiencing a resurgence the past couple years under Troy Calhoun. But then again, why should the Big 12 teams have to travel to Colorado again if they don't have to?

Arkansas - Rich historic tradition, but haven't been able to win an outright SEC title since they joined the league in 1992. Logistically, this makes the most sense as the Razorbacks were originally part of the Southwest Conference and are smack dab in the middle of the Big 12.

BYU - In terms of historic success, the Cougars are a good fit right now for the Big 12 to offset their losses. Large national following, but will be a further trip than Boulder was. A provision would probably have to be set in so that they could play Utah on a yearly basis in the "Holy War".

Louisville - Program was on the up-and-up before it got a case of the Kragthorpe, even though it seems like Charlie Strong could be the person to get back on track. Strong basketball program, but would the Big 12 want to expand east of the Mississippi? #49 TV market.

Cincinnati - Football program is skyrocketing to unheard of success, but can they sustain it? Yet another successful basketball program and Cincy is the #33 TV market in the nation.

Northern Illinois - Don't laugh. If you want to talk about TV markets, Chicago is the one you want to tap into. The question is, however, how much of the Chicago market actually cares about watching the Huskies on TV when they have Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern and the rest of the Big 10 to watch? I'll say it a million times: "If Iowa State can..." That and we have corn. Lots and lots of corn. We'll take a closer look at this possibility in the following days.

fwsooner22
11/29/2010, 11:42 AM
No doubt the Big East doesn't want to be left out when the AQ is revisited at the end of 2012. It also makes them a more viable entry when the Super Conference days come. It's another brick in the wall but it's a big one in this part of the country.

The hatred between Baylor and TCU is bigger than most realize. Texas is more than just Texas and A&M. TCU blocked Baylor from going to the MWC when it looked like the Big 12 was history last summer. Payback sucks.

I don't really care what happens but I do want the Big 12 to survive. It never really seems like the Big 12 has a plan except putting out fires.

fwsooner22
11/29/2010, 11:44 AM
TCU is playing in the BCS boys. That defines $$$.

Shakadoodoo
11/29/2010, 11:49 AM
TCU is playing in the BCS boys. That defines $$$.

The Big 12 is looking for money long term. Not just one year.

fwsooner22
11/29/2010, 11:51 AM
The Big 12 is looking for money long term. Not just one year.

You do know who the last team to beat us in Norman was right ?

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 11:52 AM
Good for them. Ha Ha to Boise. Leave the WAC to join Utah, BYU and TCU only to have them all leave.

So do they (Big East) pick up one more football team and then have the football teams break away from the others?

That's a good point. All four of those stay, you add Fresno State and Hawaii and with Air Force already there you've got a solid football conference that probably would have been made an auto-qualifier in pretty short order.

I wonder what Boise did to tick everyone off.... not that I mind they are getting the shaft.

badger
11/29/2010, 11:56 AM
You do know who the last team to beat us in Norman was right ?

The only significance to that game was the fact that Bob Stoops actually switched QB's for a reason other than injury.

usaosooner
11/29/2010, 12:02 PM
Well expansion for us isn't coming for a long while..

The only "viable" canidates in the future would be one of the bottom feeding New Mexico schools and Air Force... BARF

cdlbdd
11/29/2010, 12:09 PM

The only "viable" canidates in the future would be one of the bottom feeding New Mexico schools and Air Force... BARF

What, in your eyes, constitutes a "viable" candidate?

Scott D
11/29/2010, 12:10 PM

someone calculated that the distance to UConn is the greatest distance to travel for TCU.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 12:12 PM

But don't you people know....Texas is using it's pull to bring *drumroll* BYU and Notre Dame into the fold by 2014 :rolleyes:

fadada1
11/29/2010, 12:15 PM
But don't you people know....Texas is using it's pull to bring *drumroll* BYU and Notre Dame into the fold by 2014 :rolleyes:

yes, texas has infinite clout with the turd they dropped this season. typical horn thinking.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 12:15 PM
That's a good point. All four of those stay, you add Fresno State and Hawaii and with Air Force already there you've got a solid football conference that probably would have been made an auto-qualifier in pretty short order.

I wonder what Boise did to tick everyone off.... not that I mind they are getting the shaft.

It's kind of funny if you expound on it further.

Utah, BYU, TCU leave MWC.
Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, & Hawaii join the MWC.

Basically the MWC has become the old WAC and the current WAC will be nothing more than a glorified Division I-AA conference. The brain trust up in Boise has to be going nuts right now and trying to see if they have other potential options outside of the MWC and current WAC combining to form Conference Supersuck.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 12:16 PM
yes, texas has infinite clout with the turd they dropped this season. typical horn thinking.

they call it clout, I call it bribery with someone else's money ;)

bent rider
11/29/2010, 12:33 PM

Yeah but the football and basketball TV revenue must be at least 2-3 times what they currently get. Also compare the payouts of a BCS Bowl with any other bowl. The champion of the MWC goes to the Las Vegas Bowl ($1M) if they can't qualify for a BCS Bowl ($18M). Being in the Big Least means a much easier path to a BCS Bowl, assuming that league can retain their BCS AQ status. Don't underestimate the financial disparity between the BCS AQ and the non-AQ conferences.

SoonerShark
11/29/2010, 12:35 PM
I would rather be in the Mountain West than the Big East.

SoonerShark
11/29/2010, 12:37 PM
With Boise added and add another good school, Utah should have stayed and the MWC is much better and much cooler than The Big Least. Imagine all the basketball travel. For fans locally, Southwest flies to most of the cities in either league now.

beegee
11/29/2010, 12:53 PM
The Candidates

Air Force - A military academy that is going to have good support wherever they travel to or appear on TV. Have been experiencing a resurgence the past couple years under Troy Calhoun. But then again, why should the Big 12 teams have to travel to Colorado again if they don't have to?

Arkansas - Rich historic tradition, but haven't been able to win an outright SEC title since they joined the league in 1992. Logistically, this makes the most sense as the Razorbacks were originally part of the Southwest Conference and are smack dab in the middle of the Big 12.

BYU - In terms of historic success, the Cougars are a good fit right now for the Big 12 to offset their losses. Large national following, but will be a further trip than Boulder was. A provision would probably have to be set in so that they could play Utah on a yearly basis in the "Holy War".

Louisville - Program was on the up-and-up before it got a case of the Kragthorpe, even though it seems like Charlie Strong could be the person to get back on track. Strong basketball program, but would the Big 12 want to expand east of the Mississippi? #49 TV market.

Cincinnati - Football program is skyrocketing to unheard of success, but can they sustain it? Yet another successful basketball program and Cincy is the #33 TV market in the nation.

Northern Illinois - Don't laugh. If you want to talk about TV markets, Chicago is the one you want to tap into. The question is, however, how much of the Chicago market actually cares about watching the Huskies on TV when they have Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern and the rest of the Big 10 to watch? I'll say it a million times: "If Iowa State can..." That and we have corn. Lots and lots of corn. We'll take a closer look at this possibility in the following days.

Let's add 'em all and move to 16 teams with a damn championship game!

SilliSooner
11/29/2010, 01:00 PM
I was hoping that they would invite them to re-build the big 12 but I guess not.

It would make more sense for them to go the Big 12--travel wise, expense wise, ability for their away games to be seen by player's parents, etc.

It will be ridiculous for TCU fans to travel to Big East games.

I think TCU is afraid to compete against Big 12 teams in most sports plus the Big East will slaughter them in basketball.

I was hoping for an addition of TCU and Arkansas. If not Arkie, then Memphis. It works geographically and gives fans easy trips to both spots plus Memphis makes a decent quickie vacation.

delhalew
11/29/2010, 01:00 PM
Let's add 'em all and move to 16 teams with a damn championship game!

Uuuhhhhggg. Let's just drop football. We can watch curling or something. Women's volleyball is pretty awesome.

usaosooner
11/29/2010, 01:21 PM
What, in your eyes, constitutes a "viable" candidate?

New TV Market = taking New Mexico brings in a new market (though its not that large, would steal bring more local interest than calling up Houston) Bringing in Air Force would return the Big XII to the Colorado market :texan:

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 01:26 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I didn't even realize TCU was being courted. Seems to me they kept it pretty quiet.

That just says to me that this off-season is going to bring another seismic shift. That we haven't heard anything tells me there are lots of e-mails and private phone conversations happening across the country.

And it all hinges on one team: Notre Dame.

I am curious what ND thinks about TCU to the Big East in all sports. And a 17 team basketball conference seems a bit unwieldy to me.

I think ND bites the bullit sooner rather than later. If they toss their hat into the ring with the Big 10, then the Big 10 will need one more player to balance things out.

If that happens, call me crazy, but I don't think that will be Rutgers, Mizzou, Texas, or OU.

My bet says they go after Kansas to bring one more big time basketball player into the conference.

Speculation. It is so much fun. GAH!

(Actually I wish everyone would just simmahdownnaow.)

soonerchk
11/29/2010, 01:28 PM
It's cute that the Big lEast is trying to buy some credibility.

Please mod if we have to play uconn, do not let us lose another one....

007sooner
11/29/2010, 01:28 PM
New TV Market = taking New Mexico brings in a new market (though its not that large, would steal bring more local interest than calling up Houston) Bringing in Air Force would return the Big XII to the Colorado market :texan:

no one watches football here. you can't get the UNM games on TV even if you want, so there's really no market right now. we're a basketball school. need to wait until the head coach no longer has an insane buy-out contract price (next year) and then maybe... maybe... things will turn around.

air force is much a better idea.

Fiatil
11/29/2010, 01:32 PM
edit:whoops, wrong thread!

soonerchk
11/29/2010, 01:33 PM
Nothing quite beats this thread that just popped up, entitled "Beat ou!"

"I know you are not supposed to think about any game but the one in front of you BUT, I am not on the team. At least not physically. So, I want as many of you to keep this going all year. Maybe after the 4th or 5th month the team will hear about this thread. They might understand that there are an army behind them, not just that Sat. next November but ALL YEAR LONG.
BEAT OU!"

They're already looking forward to next year's game. Wow.

Now that's just pitiful.

SoonerMom2
11/29/2010, 01:42 PM
Air Force brings a worldwide audience as we saw when they came to Norman. It is not that far from Denver and there are AF alum everywhere plus as a Service Academy, we wouldn't have to anti-up as much of the the pie from revenue is my understanding.

AF and BYU would bring in Denver and Salt Lake City -- not bad and frankly I wouldn't mind traveling to the AF Academy for games. Beautiful area of the Country. Was there this summer.

bluedogok
11/29/2010, 01:53 PM
The conference landscape is very fluid and can change yearly. Just since the SWC folded TCU has been in the WAC (1996-2000), C-USA (2001-04) and the MWC (2005-12). I would bet if a Big 12 offer came in the next few years they would jump ship again...I bet the Big 12 already knows that.

Okie35
11/29/2010, 02:14 PM
Good for TCU, Bad for Boise State lol. Everyone is leaving the Mountain West.

GrapevineSooner
11/29/2010, 02:16 PM
Listening to the press conference on The Ticket right now. Funny hearing one of the Big East higher ups talk about the media market size in DFW and how much of a bonus that is for the Big East.

Texas, Texas A&M, OU, Texas Tech, and OSU all get more coverage here than TCU does...even with TCU being so highly ranked this year.

Which is exactly why not having TCU in the Big 12 really isn't much of a blow at all.

Shakadoodoo
11/29/2010, 05:12 PM
TCU to the big east????

once again, i look to the football bat to make sense of this.

Some of you need to download Google Earth or take a geography course. This has taught me our college football nation is way geographically challenged. We don't travel by horse, bus or trains anymore. TCU traveling to L'ville and Cincinnati not much differenct than going to New Mex, Air Force, CSU or Wyoming. Boise State, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno State and SDSU each range from 1,200 to 1,400 miles from Ft. Worth. It's basically the same. UCONN is fartherest Big East school at 1,500 miles.

007sooner
11/29/2010, 07:58 PM
Er... Albuquerque to Forth Worth is about half of your lower range there (600, not 1200 miles). Besides, there's just something really ... different ... about the midwest and the east coast that doesn't seem so profound when you talk about the southwest or mountain west. I dunno. Good for TCU.

Soonerfan88
11/29/2010, 09:01 PM
TCU traveling to L'ville and Cincinnati not much differenct than going to New Mex, Air Force, CSU or Wyoming. Boise State, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno State and SDSU each range from 1,200 to 1,400 miles from Ft. Worth. It's basically the same. UCONN is fartherest Big East school at 1,500 miles.

There is a period in there. He didn't say going to NM would be 1200 miles.

Overall, I really don't see much downside for TCU with this decision. Sure, the basketball program is going to have to improve 200% to truly be competitive but it isn't as if they were setting the world on fire in the MWC either. As others have said, travel really isn't going to be that big of an issue as the Big East teams are near more accessible airports and the distances are pretty comparable.

Folks need to get over this TCU/Houston to the Big 12 crap. It makes absolutely no business sense and won't be happening unless we go to a playoff with regional super conferences. From the start of this B12 breakup I have said that adding BYU and Air Force are our best options and nothing has been said to change my mind.

JayhawkScott
11/29/2010, 09:15 PM

Yeah, but they could have shipped OU and OSU to the north and then changed the way they do scheduling. Give each North team a Rival that they play every year and then rotate the other two games. This way OU still has its game with Texas every year, the divisions become balanced in football and the north teams like KU/KSU/and Mizzou can start to develop a rivalry with a south school. Frankly I could care less who KU's rival would be from the South but I think if we expand back to 12 this needs to happen.

SoonerMom2
11/29/2010, 10:05 PM
Folks need to get over this TCU/Houston to the Big 12 crap. It makes absolutely no business sense and won't be happening unless we go to a playoff with regional super conferences. From the start of this B12 breakup I have said that adding BYU and Air Force are our best options and nothing has been said to change my mind.

Agree 100% that those two schools make the most sense and bring with them the Denver and Salt Lake City markets.

yermom
11/29/2010, 10:25 PM
i wonder if this would hurt TCU if someone gets upset this weekend

it seems like the TV guys really want Stanford or Wisconsin to jump TCU in that case

if TCU will soon have a BCS conference schedule, it's a little less hard to excuse their currently weak schedule

LASooner
11/30/2010, 01:11 AM
The best way to get a playoff is for exactly THAT to happen.

CatfishSooner
11/30/2010, 01:19 AM
3K bitches

Scott D
11/30/2010, 02:35 AM
i wonder if this would hurt TCU if someone gets upset this weekend

it seems like the TV guys really want Stanford or Wisconsin to jump TCU in that case

if TCU will soon have a BCS conference schedule, it's a little less hard to excuse their currently weak schedule

if by TV guys you mean Rod Gilmore, we uncovered the reason for his TCU bias in another thread.

yermom
11/30/2010, 02:44 AM
i'm talking about the Gameday/EPSN guys

i really think that if there is a shakeup at the top, they might push Wisconsin over Stanford and TCU since they are Big10 champs, like LSU jumped so many people to get there in 2007

they actually brought up LSU in 2007 on the BCS reveal show this week. TCU might need Oregon AND Auburn to lose, hell, they were talking that Auburn might not even drop enough if they lose.

Soonerman82
11/30/2010, 03:07 AM
Ah espin aka the SEC network.

SoonerRoy
12/1/2010, 01:41 AM
Besides flying all their teams east to play sporting events (both mens and womens), another big drawback is that few fans would be able to accompany the TCU teams.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2010, 09:52 AM
I think it would be allsome if the big east was removed from the BCS conferences

yermom
12/1/2010, 12:27 PM
2007 probably helped them for at least a couple years

Scott D
12/1/2010, 06:02 PM
i'm talking about the Gameday/EPSN guys

i really think that if there is a shakeup at the top, they might push Wisconsin over Stanford and TCU since they are Big10 champs, like LSU jumped so many people to get there in 2007

they actually brought up LSU in 2007 on the BCS reveal show this week. TCU might need Oregon AND Auburn to lose, hell, they were talking that Auburn might not even drop enough if they lose.

Amusingly I had that discussion with a friend of mine that is a Wisconsin fan the other day. I was telling him there was potential there for Wisconsin to end up in the title game that would rely on both Auburn and Oregon losing this weekend. I'm not sold on TCU being kept out if both lose..and the Oregon loss hurts Stanford in a collateral damage kind of way.