PDA

View Full Version : Clausen v Bradford

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 04:32 AM
I'm sick and bored. So I looked it up.

Bradford: 240/413 for 2466 yds 58% 5.74 ypa 17 TD/9 INT
Clausen: 83/166 for 887 50% 5.01 ypa 1TD/5 INT

Bradford needs 9 TDs in the remaining 5 games to tie Peyton Manning's rookie TD record. Tough, but doable.

Oh, Manning threw 28 INTs in his rookie year. The wheels would have to come off for Bradford to match that.

Also, one needs to consider that it took 575 passing attempts by Manning to set the 26 TD record. Bradford will throw nowhere near that number.

Bradford could break into the #2 spot for rookies with completion percentage (62%). The #1 spot (66%) is probably out of reach.

The most yards gained by a rookie QB is 3,739 yards (Manning). Bradford would have to average about 254 yards per game from here out to match that, and that is unlikely.
The #2 spot is well within reach.

Bradford has had 2.17% of his passes intercepted. The record for a rookie QB is 1.98% (Charlie Batch).

L7gfZR6CpCk

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 04:40 AM
Dude was benched after a few starts earlier this season. 'Nuff said.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 04:59 AM
I should add some more perspective.

The year before Manning joined the Colts, the team finished 3-13. In Manning's rookie season, they went 3-13 and finished dead last in their division.

The year before Bradford joined the Rams, the team finished 1-15. So far in Bradford's rookie season, they have gone 5-6 and are a half-game ahead in leading their division.

IGotNoTiming
11/29/2010, 07:46 AM
plus 3 more tds yesterday... bet he eclipses 30 TDs

caseysooner
11/29/2010, 08:00 AM
Mel Kiper is the ultimate doosh.

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 08:32 AM
I remember that McShay-Kiper bout last year. Entertaining to see it again... especially with Leroy's stats on the thread.

Aries
11/29/2010, 08:38 AM
Also, Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison.

Bradford has Danny Amendola. :)

btb916
11/29/2010, 08:59 AM
I started to write out a post defending Clausen--he didn't have preseason reps like Bradford did, didn't start from the first game like Bradford did. Then I remembered Colt McCoy, who is doing quite well for himself in Cleveland.

So yeah. Clausen is a punk and Kiper is obnoxious and loud. (At halftime in one of his starts, Clausen had a 0.0 passer rating. Heh.)

winout
11/29/2010, 09:04 AM
Bradford has grown leaps and bounds this year. So fun to see a Sooner qb in the NFL, hope we get another real soon(er).

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 09:30 AM
Trent Dilfer: Choosing Sam Bradford would be 'catastrophic' mistake for Rams
(http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/trent-dilfer-choosing-sam-bradford-would-be-catastrophic-mistake-for-rams/1)
:pop:

sooneron
11/29/2010, 09:48 AM
Trent Dilfer: Choosing Sam Bradford would be 'catastrophic' mistake for Rams
(http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/trent-dilfer-choosing-sam-bradford-would-be-catastrophic-mistake-for-rams/1)
:pop:

Meh, he already publicly came out and said that he was dead wrong on Sam. Old story...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 09:57 AM
Meh, he already publicly came out and said that he was dead wrong on Sam. Old story...

He was just so outspoken about it.

sooneron
11/29/2010, 10:03 AM
He was just so outspoken about it.

And he was pretty adamant when he admitted he was wrong. Hell, I thought he was going to start to cry and beg Sam's forgiveness. Sam already looks like he's going to be 2X the QB that Dilfer was when he played.
I don't really like TD, but he did what a LOT of ESPiN personalities would not have done...

Section 9
11/29/2010, 10:06 AM
Why doesn't SL run the hurry up offense like OU? With Sam's experience it seems like it would be good. Are the substitution rules different? Just wondering.

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 10:43 AM

I would forgive him, if he really apologized and didn't lie again. He said that Sam never did "those things" at OU. By those things he meant going under center, being accurate, mastering the offense, checking to the last read and so on.

That is a lie. Sam did all those things very well, hence the number one pick, and the smooth transition between college and NFL.

There is nothing worse than an insincere apology.

Why doesn't SL run the hurry up offense like OU? With Sam's experience it seems like it would be good. Are the substitution rules different? Just wondering.The rest of his offense is not used to it. They tried to run it yesterday in the first half, and they were penalized for false starts and other procedure penalties.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 10:45 AM
And he was pretty adamant when he admitted he was wrong. Hell, I thought he was going to start to cry and beg Sam's forgiveness. Sam already looks like he's going to be 2X the QB that Dilfer was when he played.
I don't really like TD, but he did what a LOT of ESPiN personalities would not have done...

He came out and apologized or whatever because he knew he'd be blasted soon enough.

He was dead wrong, he had no other choice but admit he was dead wrong. What's so admirable about that?

But like you said, spilled milk.

boomersooner28
11/29/2010, 10:53 AM
NOBODY has a clue about college quarterbacks when it comes to how good they will be as a pro. There are too many factors involved. It's like playing the lottery really. What Sam is doing this year is absolutely astonishing. He is very cerebral. He is a great leader. He is accurate. I'm amazed at how far this kid has come since high school.

Widescreen
11/29/2010, 10:56 AM
I would forgive him, if he really apologized and didn't lie again. He said that Sam never did "those things" at OU. By those things he meant going under center, being accurate, mastering the offense, checking to the last read and so on.

That is a lie. Sam did all those things very well, hence the number one pick, and the smooth transition between college and NFL.

There is nothing worse than an insincere apology.

This, big time. When the apology is "how was I supposed to know he'd be any good? He's doing all this great stuff he never did in college" (when in fact he did those things but Dilfer is ignorant or lying), it's not really an apology, it's an excuse.

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 10:56 AM
Dilfer apologized by lying, or by being misinformed.
You can't go from "can't do it in college" to "can do it in the NFL" in a matter of months.

It's more likely that Sam went from "can do it in college" to "can do it in the NFL" and Dilfer deferred all blame to OU for his poor judgment, by saying he never did those things at OU. So it was OU's fault that Dilfer looked like a fool.

can't stand that guy

85sooners
11/29/2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah!!!

SoonerLB
11/29/2010, 12:18 PM
If Dilfer would proclaim Clausen as a doosh I would feel much better about the whole situation. ;)

Jimmy, this is Mr. Bradford's jock strap, now if it's not too heavy for you, see if you can carry it! :D

Scott D
11/29/2010, 12:36 PM
Bradford has had 2.17% of his passes intercepted. The record for a rookie QB is 1.98% (Charlie Batch).

And the common factor between the two?

Batch as a rookie had Barry Sanders in his final year at running back.
Bradford as a rookie has Stephen Jackson at running back.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 01:43 PM
plus 3 more tds yesterday... bet he eclipses 30 TDs

I included the 3 TDs.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 01:46 PM

And haven't we all blown it from time to time. I remember telling my Patriot friends that Bellichik (sp?) was a horrible hire. After all, we all can't be keen observers of QB talent like Horn fans.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 01:47 PM

Dude, you're taking this waaaaaay too personally. Are you a Sooner fan or Bradford's mother?

This, big time. When the apology is "how was I supposed to know he'd be any good? He's doing all this great stuff he never did in college" (when in fact he did those things but Dilfer is ignorant or lying), it's not really an apology, it's an excuse.

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone but Bradford, and even that is a stretch. He's an analyst. He is paid to give out his opinions. No one is going to be able to predict the success of a player 100% of the time. If anything, Dilfer did more than was really expected of him.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 01:51 PM

Not sure how that factors into interception ratio.

Joe
11/29/2010, 02:27 PM

Umm....maybe in the sense that Sanders = 10, Stephen Jackson = 5 (not saying Jackson is average), so 5 is the common factor. Otherwise that doesn't make any sense. Jackson isn't an elite NFL RB. I don't understand this statement, lots of rookies have had good RBs.

btb916
11/29/2010, 03:08 PM
Lots of Trent Dilfer hate. You guys need to let it go. Starting to look a bit obsessive...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 03:10 PM
NOBODY has a clue about college quarterbacks when it comes to how good they will be as a pro. There are too many factors involved. It's like playing the lottery really. What Sam is doing this year is absolutely astonishing. He is very cerebral. He is a great leader. He is accurate. I'm amazed at how far this kid has come since high school.

I could have told you Sam would be great and Clausen wouldn't be.

I didn't think Colt McCoy would pan out though.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 03:14 PM
Dude, you're taking this waaaaaay too personally. Are you a Sooner fan or Bradford's mother?

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone but Bradford, and even that is a stretch. He's an analyst. He is paid to give out his opinions. No one is going to be able to predict the success of a player 100% of the time. If anything, Dilfer did more than was really expected of him.

He has the right to say ridiculous things and we have the right to rip him about it, months later, even after he admits he's wrong. It's just funny how adamant he was that Sam would FAIL and that the Rams would be in a world of hurt.

Hilarious actually. So just :pop: and chill.

swardboy
11/29/2010, 03:14 PM
Why doesn't SL run the hurry up offense like OU? With Sam's experience it seems like it would be good. Are the substitution rules different? Just wondering.

They DO run hurry up/no huddle. And Sam is at his best when they do. St. Louis fans want more of it.

swardboy
11/29/2010, 03:18 PM
Dilfer APPEARED to be too tight with Clausen agents...added to MONUMENTAL miscall....added to jeopardizing Sam's career. Which now we know GM's could care less about Dilfer-dooshery thank goodness.

I think Trent should be reminded regularly myself...

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 03:27 PM
He has the right to say ridiculous things and we have the right to rip him about it, months later, even after he admits he's wrong.

Sure, you have the right to. No one is saying you should be jailed or banned for making over-the-top, cry-baby rants about what an analyst says on tv. But it makes me wonder just how much emotional investment you have in the success of a person you don't even know.

Besides, nothing Dilfer said is going to have any effect on Bradfords' career, so where's the harm?

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 03:31 PM
Dilfer APPEARED to be too tight with Clausen agents...added to MONUMENTAL miscall....added to jeopardizing Sam's career. Which now we know GM's could care less about Dilfer-dooshery thank goodness.

We now know? You seriously thought at one time that the GM of St. Louis lets people like Trent Dilfer call the shots in player selection?

As for jeopardizing Sam's career.... :rolleyes: Sam's success in the NFL isn't going to come down to something Trent said on tv.

Let Sam Bradford worry about what Trent Dilfer says about Sam Bradford.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 03:32 PM
Sure, you have the right to. No one is saying you should be jailed or banned for making over-the-top, cry-baby rants about what an analyst says on tv. But it makes me wonder just how much emotional investment you have in the success of a person you don't even know.

Besides, nothing Dilfer said is going to have any effect on Bradfords' career, so where's the harm?

I don't know him, I only went to high school with him. :rolleyes:

All I did was post the link in this thread with a :pop:

Emotional investment my ***.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 03:39 PM

Actually they have done that in a lot of game, go up-tempo at one point in the game. That resulted in a TD yesterday when the Rams were down. And again they wouldn't run it if it were any other QB, so credit to Sam on that as well. But they just can't go up-tempo the whole game in the NFL

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 04:30 PM
I don't know him, I only went to high school with him. :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean ****. Besides, my comment was aimed at AlboSooner, not you.

Emotional investment my ***.

"Waaaaaah, Trent said something negative about my hero! Boo hoo hoo!"

Again, let Sam Bradford worry about Sam Bradford. If an analyst comes on tv and says that Sam will be a bust... no skin off your back. And it won't matter anyway.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/29/2010, 04:38 PM
That doesn't mean ****. Besides, my comment was aimed at AlboSooner, not you.

"Waaaaaah, Trent said something negative about my hero! Boo hoo hoo!"

Again, let Sam Bradford worry about Sam Bradford. If an analyst comes on tv and says that Sam will be a bust... no skin off your back. And it won't matter anyway.

You are retarded. Seriously.

Widescreen
11/29/2010, 04:39 PM

Stop telling people what to do. It's none of your business how people feel about it anyway.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 04:40 PM
Not sure how that factors into interception ratio.

a reliable solid consistent running threat that takes a lot of pressure off of the passing game. meaning the quarterback doesn't have to make some risky throws they shouldn't make otherwise. having a running back that is very capable in catching the ball out of the backfield helps cut that down as well.

I figured people would take umbrage with my statement taking it to mean that I was putting down what Bradford has accomplished, when in truth it only enhances part of why he has done what he has done to this point.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 04:42 PM
Umm....maybe in the sense that Sanders = 10, Stephen Jackson = 5 (not saying Jackson is average), so 5 is the common factor. Otherwise that doesn't make any sense. Jackson isn't an elite NFL RB. I don't understand this statement, lots of rookies have had good RBs.

Jackson's above average in that not only does he provide a solid running game, and a decent receiving game, but he's a pretty decent blocker, and teams can't just key on the passing game.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 04:46 PM
Stop telling people what to do. It's none of your business how people feel about it anyway.

Sure, if they keep their feelings private. Once they post them...

SoonerAtKU
11/29/2010, 04:48 PM

The corollary here is that maybe you should worry less about what someone on a message board is worried about.

But then, maybe I should worry less about...OH GOD...It's full of stars...

My Opinion Matters
11/29/2010, 05:08 PM
lol, Leroy is trolling everyone in the entire thread.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 06:19 PM
The corollary here is that maybe you should worry less about what someone on a message board is worried about.

Then we may as well shut down the board. :D

KNEE BRACE
11/29/2010, 06:37 PM
If you're a Bradford fan, you should probably be thanking Dilfer for being that outspoken.

We all know he's the silent contemplative type off the field, I'm sure these doubts motivated him. His career is off to a start basically unrivaled by any rookie QB in history, Dilfer's public proclamations may have had something to do with that.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/29/2010, 07:03 PM
Stop telling people what to do. It's none of your business how people feel about it anyway.Stop telling people to stop telling people what to do. Why should you GAS about such shi*, anyway?:mack: :les: :cry:

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 07:26 PM
If you're a Bradford fan, you should probably be thanking Dilfer for being that outspoken.

This assumes Bradford cared in the first place. I doubt it.

slh1234
11/29/2010, 07:28 PM
I really don't think Dilfer needs to apologize. He gets paid to give opinions. He didn't really accuse anybody of anything, he just stated something that he thought ... now what he thought was based in error, but people do that all the time (including on this board).

I like it that Sam is proving him wrong, but I don't think any apologies are owed by anybody. I just think Sam needs to keep doing what he's doing, and keep improving. Nobody will care what Dilfer said, or what his opinion was - it didn't hold Sam back and didn't hurt anything.

slh1234
11/29/2010, 07:30 PM

I concur.

KNEE BRACE
11/29/2010, 09:02 PM

You're probably right, he was always a hard enough worker without that kind of negative motivation. Dilfer's quotes certainly didn't hurt him, though.

85sooners
12/26/2010, 09:04 PM
Bump

cccasooner2
12/26/2010, 10:02 PM
Bump

? :D