PDA

View Full Version : Let's go back

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 02:33 AM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/10/ous-stoops-says-bcs-considerations-playe.html

Stoops stood by his decision to punt with less than 2 1/2 minutes remaining and the Sooners down nine points. The polls were on his mind at the time.

"That's a part of it," Stoops said, reiterating a position he first took a day earlier after practice. "I don't know where it will lead, but I thought, 'The guys have played hard here. We're in this situation. It's not where you want to be.'

"I've never done it before, but I thought, 'You know what? There's still a bunch of games to be played. Who knows what can happen?' Heck, LSU got in it a few years ago with two losses, right? Some people don't see the game, only look at the score, as they vote. Right or wrong, that's what I did."

Good decision? Bad decision?

Blue
11/29/2010, 02:36 AM
I don't think it mattered as of now, but if we had one loss...who knows?

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 02:40 AM
Doesn't matter, a 10-2 OU would still be ahead of a 10-2 OSU and a 10-2 OSU would still be in front of A&M, guaranteeing us to go over both. That argument died after we lost again anyways, as it stands a 1-loss OU wouldn't be in the MNC.

usaosooner
11/29/2010, 03:12 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say good call..

CatfishSooner
11/29/2010, 03:20 AM
both

5thYearSooner
11/29/2010, 03:26 AM
Bad Call. ..heck who knows with 2.12 remaining and 2 scores down, we might have had a play like Hanna's or Kenneys. When you start to think of whats ahead and dont live in the moment you get burned. Now we can put any spin on it but he took a wrong decision.Still mad about that call.

sendbaht
11/29/2010, 04:05 AM
I belive always play to win not lose lightly.

VA Sooner
11/29/2010, 08:38 AM
Would have gone for the killer instinct... have faith in the Boys and fight to the end, even if it means turning the ball over in our end of the field.

Calls for offensive coordinator cajones... but he showed it this weekend in the fourth quarter with some out-of-character calls.

btb916
11/29/2010, 09:02 AM
I think, looking back, it was a bad call. I didn't really care at the time like a lot of people--I thought we were cooked anyway. But that's why I'm not Bob Stoops; he's paid to win, not throw in the towel.

sooner59
11/29/2010, 09:58 AM
I am satisfied with where we are now, even though we all want national titles. But I don't change my stance on that game. I say play to win. Who knows what might happen after that. In the end, we still lost to Mizzou, and like soonercastor said, we are 10-2 either way and either way A&M isn't close enough to us in the BCS to matter, and OSU doesn't stay ahead of us in the BCS with the same record after we beat them on their home field. So I stand by going for the win.

OU Engineer
11/29/2010, 10:16 AM
I belive always play to win not lose lightly.

I blame the BCS not the coaches for this mindset though.

rekamrettuB
11/29/2010, 10:34 AM
You think voters remember the score of a game a month and a half ago? If they do remember one thing from that game it's either the 2pt decision or the comment about why he decided to punt.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2010, 11:56 AM
Philosophically distasteful call.