PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks?

Blue
11/29/2010, 12:05 AM
Wtf?

Should we be happy the light is being shone on the truth or should we be pissed our business is being shared with the World?

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 12:27 AM
Some things needed to be aired out, and some didn't. The latest ones had some dirty deals which involved other governments.

It's kind of ironical to see the govt get bent out of shape about this because when the govt passed the Patriot Act said: if you have nothing to hide then you should not worry.

So now that the tables are turned, it seems privacy is important and one should be concerned about privacy...hmmm

SCOUT
11/29/2010, 12:56 AM
I am generally in favor of an open door policy. In fact, one of the greatest tragedies in this country is the current failure of the press. The idea was to have an non-partisan watchdog to make sure that everything was on the up and up. That sadly ended with the 24 hour news cycle and a move towards commercial news. It has become mostly sensationalism.

However, leaking classified information is a bird of a different feather and not a matter of free press, IMO. I should disclose that I am not terribly familiar with wikileaks, but I have read some of the recent news. With that said, it scares me that military and diplomatic secrets could be divulged because somebody has an ax to grind.

Those kind of implications are much further reaching.

Sooner5030
11/29/2010, 02:36 PM
a compartmentalized or classified discussion/analysis is protected for certain reasons. I can't understand why anyone would find joy in the fact that a untrustworthy individual duplicated this data and then leaked it to a foreign entity.

"truth".......yeah ok, i take a **** every day. By not letting you watch am I denying you the "truth"?

You don't have a right to view secret data unless you have the clearance and it is for official use.

MR2-Sooner86
11/29/2010, 02:49 PM
It sucks but you can always say, "No I didn't."

Saudi King wants us to bomb Iran and he denies it. Was it in a document or video? If it's audio you can always claim it's a fake but video is a little harder to do. As for documents, anybody can take a document, put it into photoshop, and in minutes have something completely different to fit their agenda.

Did the Saudi King and other things happen? Probably but the evidence isn't 100%.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 03:09 PM
It's good for the government of a free-society to have its dirty laundry aired out from time to time. Regardless of how "damaging" they claim this is, I think it's refreshing.

Sooner5030
11/29/2010, 03:12 PM
ts dirty laundry aired

I wouldn't consider analysis of RPG vulnerable areas on MRAPs as dirty laundry.

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't consider analysis of RPG vulnerable areas on MRAPs as dirty laundry.
You are correct. Some of the leaked stuff should have not been leaked, because they may put our troops in danger, in the current wars or future.

Other stuff that were leaked, I have no problem with.

GKeeper316
11/29/2010, 04:48 PM
as long as it doesnt affect operations being conducted by our armed forces, the public has the right to know how its government spends its time and money.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/29/2010, 04:48 PM
I love wikileaks. That video of those helicopter pilots acting like they were playing Call of Duty while murdering a journalist was quite an experience.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 04:55 PM
as long as it doesnt affect operations being conducted by our armed forces, the public has the right to know how its government spends its time and money.

Agreed.

Foreign governments already know these sorts of things are said between diplomats and their respective governments. The specifics may not be known, but I doubt anyone is truly shocked by any of this.

What it does do, however, is give our own citizenry an insight into how the government operates overseas and in its relationships with other nations. I truly think our government is more embarrassed by what its own citizens will find out about how it operates than they are about what other governments will think.

The
11/29/2010, 05:08 PM
Comment: The hypocrisy of the media attack on Wikileaks (http://www.politics.co.uk/comment/culture-media-and-sport/comment-the-hypocrisy-of-the-media-attack-on-wikileaks-$21385948.htm)

Good read, except it's in English.

Sooner5030
11/29/2010, 06:03 PM
The public does not have the right to know everything.

MRAP hull specifications?
How to make an EFP using a $400 metal lathe?
How to make urea or ammonium based home made explosives?

You like the current leaks because it suits your ideological objectives but that doesn't negate the need for a classified network that is not intended for public view.

Scott D
11/29/2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't be sad if Wikileaks all of a sudden disappeared.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2010, 07:12 PM

You like the current leaks because it suits your ideological objectives but that doesn't negate the need for a classified network that is not intended for public view.

This would be a non-issue if we eliminated all of our overseas military commitments, closed all of our bases, and returned every last soldier in uniform from their overseas deployments.

I also have absolutely no problem with people learning how to make an EFP or ammonium based explosives. I only care if they use that knowledge to hurt other people or their property.

GKeeper316
11/29/2010, 08:05 PM
This would be a non-issue if we eliminated all of our overseas military commitments, closed all of our bases, and returned every last soldier in uniform from their overseas deployments.

I also have absolutely no problem with people learning how to make an EFP or ammonium based explosives. I only care if they use that knowledge to hurt other people or their property.

yup.

MR2-Sooner86
11/29/2010, 08:42 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V11GT7PHL.jpg
http://ztatic.net/grphx/lit/poor%20mans%20james%20bond1.jpg

I have both of these. Great books.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/29/2010, 10:55 PM
I am generally in favor of an open door policy. In fact, one of the greatest tragedies in this country is the current failure of the press. The idea was to have an non-partisan watchdog to make sure that everything was on the up and up. That sadly ended with the 24 hour news cycle and a move towards commercial news. It has become mostly sensationalism.

This isn't anything new at all.

The press has been partisan and policy-driving since typesetters learned to cut lead. It may have been an idea at one time, but pressmen and "journalists" alike have been painting their brand of the news since before our nation was a nation.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 08:48 AM
I saw on MSNBC this morning that the Attorney General wants to prosecute Mr. Assange under the 1917 espionage laws.

Wtf did Assange violate? He is not sworn to protect any state secrets like true spies. In my opinion, prosecution of this leak on anyone but the Private First Class is a slippery slope to thought police and a record worse than the Chinese.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 08:53 AM
I am not saying that a Republican Leader would be better, in my opinion they would be worse.

But Holder and Clinton both look like fools on the stage dancing for the crowd, with all this talk of criminal prosecution.

Ike
11/30/2010, 09:05 AM
It's good for the government of a free-society to have its dirty laundry aired out from time to time. Regardless of how "damaging" they claim this is, I think it's refreshing.

I actually somewhat agree with SicEm...oh geez.

For a long time now, the govt has been in the business of convincing us that we don't need so much privacy (warrantless wiretapping, data mining, etc...). "If you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide", we often hear. But somehow that doesn't apply to the government too.

Personally, yes, I believe that there are reasons to keep a lot of this confidential. Even though I haven't seen much yet that does more than put egg (sometimes a lot of egg) on someones face. But I don't buy that the need for privacy is only applicable to the government.

King Barry's Back
11/30/2010, 09:14 AM

These two points are both silly.

"We" would happily end all of our overseas military commitments if doing so would not severely diminish the health, well-being and prosperity of the American people. The proof is that nobody seriously ever suggests anything like this, from the right, left or middle. Even Ron Paul.

And your second point is ludicrous. There are people out there that want to kill all of us. Supplying them the information on how to do it is a bad thing. Full stop.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 09:16 AM
I am not saying that a Republican Leader would be better, in my opinion they would be worse.

But Holder and Clinton both look like fools on the stage dancing for the crowd, with all this talk of criminal prosecution.

They have to talk about prosecutions in order to save face with the diplomatic community. A guy who may never see the sunlight again is the private accused of the leaks.

While I may generally be for freedom of the people knowing what the govt is doing, in this case the US international standing is undermined greatly. All of our allies are upset and might not want to share info with us anymore.
US diplomats were made to look as mere spies. This is a blow to the US no doubt.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 09:20 AM
I agree that the Private who leaked the information should be jailed for life. I was addressing the comments that Assange, the whistleblower, should be prosecuted under the Espionage Act of 1917.

dwarthog
11/30/2010, 10:06 AM
Comment: The hypocrisy of the media attack on Wikileaks (http://www.politics.co.uk/comment/culture-media-and-sport/comment-the-hypocrisy-of-the-media-attack-on-wikileaks-$21385948.htm)

Good read, except it's in English.

Cursed English....

Good stuff indeed.

Midtowner
11/30/2010, 11:48 AM
Assange should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. Seriously.

The release of this information does more for the cause of world peace than anyone in recent memory.

If the government is doing things it ought not be doing, fine. Also, these leaks may indeed prove useful as North Korea knows we know they no longer have China, Iran knows its neighbors all want the U.S. to invade it, more importantly, the American people know that Iran's neighbors want us to invade Iran, possibly helping us to avoid another Bush/Iraq issue. As far as embarrassing foreign public officials, that's a little overblown. No one lives in a happy rainbow pony land where no one ever says anything negatively descriptive about someone else.

This sort of thing is healthy for a country like ours. A government with such power as ours which thinks it can cloak its actions in secrecy will possibly think twice now before doing something it shouldn't.

Further, these sorts of reports actually used to come from investigative journalists. Seeing as those don't really exist anymore, the 4th Estate has failed to do its duty, and thus has been partially replaced. Despite the bellyaching of those who have been caught doing things they shouldn't have been doing, this is on the whole a good thing for the United States.

soonerscuba
11/30/2010, 12:06 PM
Iran knows its neighbors all want the U.S. to invade it, more importantlyIf a man in a Members Only jacket tells me it's a Zionist plot, I believe it.

Also, I see no way that using leaked internal memos as a pretext for invading yet another Mideastern country could blow up in our face.

LosAngelesSooner
11/30/2010, 01:16 PM
I'm 100% in favor of exposing all this type of stuff. And any time the government tries to "silence a critic", etc, it's usually because that critic is letting the populace know just how effed up the government is.

So, yeah...I'm 100% behind WikiLeaks and think it's a DAMN good thing for this country and for freedom in general.

soonercruiser
11/30/2010, 02:03 PM
I'm 100% in favor of exposing all this type of stuff. And any time the government tries to "silence a critic", etc, it's usually because that critic is letting the populace know just how effed up the government is.

So, yeah...I'm 100% behind WikiLeaks and think it's a DAMN good thing for this country and for freedom in general.

So LAsooner,
Are you for just as much for sunlight in exposing the nurses unions, corrupt Democratic politicians, and all the covert liberal sponsors who are keeping the Demoncrats in power in California?
No bailouit for CA!
Wallow in what you have made.

Anybody else curious about why Wiki hasn't been attacking any other governments like Russia, Iran, and maybe Venezuela??
It's purely politrical - an attack on the USA.
Wouldn't be suprised if Soros is in the mix.

Midtowner
11/30/2010, 02:06 PM
So LAsooner,
Are you for just as much for sunlight in exposing the nurses unions, corrupt Democratic politicians, and all the covert liberal sponsors who are keeping the Demoncrats in power in California?
No bailouit for CA!

Send it and they'll leak it.

Anybody else curious about why Wiki hasn't been attacking any other governments like Russia, Iran, and maybe Venezuela??

Who cares what their motivations are? It was the U.S. Government, not WikiLeaks which produced the material in question.

If you mean to say that the United States Government has been attacking the United States, I'd be inclined to agree.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 02:16 PM
So LAsooner,
No bailouit for CA!

produce some documents about Democrats and I am sure they will publish them. Wikileaks is not a liberal website, it just publishes documents that it's sources produce.

I could argue that this is an anti-Democrat publication since they are all cables from an Obama State Department, but you always have the Fox News talking points to play.

1. suggest left wing bias
2. Suggest anti American bias
3. Name-drop Soros.
4. Tune into Glenn Beck at 3 PM

soonerscuba
11/30/2010, 02:21 PM
exposing the nurses unionsThis.

I have, for too long, have felt the cold, heavy, purple Crok of the nurse lodged firmly on my windpipe and long to be free of this oppresive movement.

Ike
11/30/2010, 02:29 PM

In recent statements, Assange has claimed that there would be a release of Russian documents sometime soon. In addition to that, there have been releases of a few Iranian documents pertaining to what may have been a nuclear accident. There are a number of other governments that have seen some of their documents wind up on Wikileaks, as well as large corporations, both US and international.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 05:17 PM
If you willing to support breaking the law because it suits your political view in this instance then why should I or any one else support the law when it doesn't suit us.

Classified networks contain protected information about our vehicles, equipment and base vulnerabilities and other important information needed to de-conflict airspace between military UAVs, rotary, fixed wing and in many cases civilian traffic.

Because it may be funny or enlightening when Department of State memos are released does not make it okay to support or approve stealing of classified material and providing it to foreign entities.

Okla-homey
11/30/2010, 05:26 PM
Two things:

1) Summary court martial for PFC Schmedlapp for leaking the stuff, and summary execution on the inevitable finding by the court he commited treason. By hanging.

2) Target this Wikileaks guy and eliminate him like those Iranian nuke engineers who met their demise this week.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 05:34 PM
addition to being published on WikiLeaks website, the classified documents were acquired in advance by five major newspapers in Europe and the United States (The New York Times, The Guardian in Britain, El Pais in Spain, Le Monde in France and Der Spiegel in Germany).

CNN declined a last-minute offer to discuss advance access to some of the documents because of a confidentiality agreement requested by WikiLeaks that CNN considered unacceptable.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/30/wikileaks/index.html?hpt=T2

So Wikileaks wants folks to honor a confidentiality agreement in order to get stolen data. Nice!

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 05:36 PM
The more I read about this stuff the more I think there is a more powerful hand behind this. I will not believe that a low-level soldier and a guy with a website are about to change the course of history.

1. Peace talks in the middle east are officially over after these leaks.
2. We are much closer to the fall of North Korea (didn't Kim Jon Ill turn the power to his son)
3. We are much closer to a war with Iran.
4. League of Arab Nations has taken a huge blow.

From what people are saying this is mainly secondary and tertiary diplomatic stuff without any real implications for US troops.

It sounds to me like somebody got really tired of beating it around the bush, and just wanted to tell a few countries how things really are.

think how improbable it is that a low level soldier and a guy with a website have thrown a wrench in the gears of the world political machine.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2010, 05:40 PM
The more I read about this stuff the more I think there is a more powerful hand behind this. I will not believe that a low-level soldier and a guy with a website are about to change the course of history.

1. Peace talks in the middle east are officially over after these leaks.
2. We are much closer to the fall of North Korea (didn't Kim Jon Ill turn the power to his son)
3. We are much closer to a war with Iran.
4. League of Arab Nations has taken a huge blow.

From what people are saying this is mainly secondary and tertiary diplomatic stuff without any real implications for US troops.

It sounds to me like somebody got really tired of beating it around the bush, and just wanted to tell a few countries how things really are.

think how improbable it is that a low level soldier and a guy with a website have thrown a wrench in the gears of the world political machine.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5397778,00.jpg

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 05:46 PM
some of these stuff, we already know
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2010/nov/28/wikileaks-cables-world-leaders#/?picture=369143706&index=0

Putin is batman and Mendeved is Robin....oh what a shocker.
Berlusconi likes to party.....huge surprise

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 06:00 PM
Two things:

1) Summary court martial for PFC Schmedlapp for leaking the stuff, and summary execution on the inevitable finding by the court he commited treason. By hanging.

2) Target this Wikileaks guy and eliminate him like those Iranian nuke engineers who met their demise this week.

killing a person for dissent, who was merely the messenger, is not acceptable. I would be ashamed of myself if I ever thought secretly killing someone who blew a whistle on my behavior was acceptable.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 06:04 PM
killing a person for dissent, who was merely the messenger, is not acceptable. I would be ashamed of myself if I ever thought secretly killing someone who blew a whistle on my behavior was acceptable.

He didn't blow a whistle........he stole data that he was paid for and swore to protect.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 06:04 PM

So Wikileaks wants folks to honor a confidentiality agreement in order to get stolen data. Nice!

you act like wikileaks is one person. I believe that it is a network of people, largely journalists, who stumble across this information, review it, and then publish it. This is speculation on ny part, but I think one of the newspapers that was given early access probably had a reporter meet with the army dude to get the DVDs with the cables.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 06:06 PM
No it is an organization that relies on folks to break confidentiality promises and then expects others to keep their promises.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/30/2010, 06:07 PM
He didn't blow a whistle........he stole data that he was paid for and swore to protect.

I was talking about Assange being "targeted". I think the guy who delivered the information to wikileaks should be tried for treason and hanged or imprisoned for life. But Assange should be left alone.

dwarthog
11/30/2010, 06:10 PM

Just a bit of irony with that one, eh? :D

Scott D
11/30/2010, 09:43 PM

if you are referring to the pfc, not only did he violate the law, but he violated even stricter classified documents rules within the military. according to the rules that he signed up for he committed treason, and that act is punishable by death.

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2010, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine said it best on Facebook earlier this evening: "WikiLeaks is what happens when the entire US government is forced to go through a full-body scanner. Like the government always telling us "if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear."

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 10:12 PM
"if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear."

bull****.....if you want an effective military then certain information has to remain confidential or controlled. Maybe the leaked state department memos don't concern you but the breach of the same network that holds much more important information concerns me.

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2010, 10:20 PM
bull****.....if you want an effective military then certain information has to remain confidential or controlled. Maybe the leaked state department memos don't concern you but the breach of the same network that holds much more important information concerns me.

Once again, if we were more concerned about fostering an open-government based upon (small r) republican principles and less concerned with building and maintaining an overseas empire then this would all be non-news.

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2010, 10:21 PM

I have yet to hear about one single soldier being killed or compromised from these leaks. It's hyperbole rhetoric from a government that is rightfully afraid of its citizens.

Blue
11/30/2010, 10:22 PM
Once again, if we were more concerned about fostering an open-government based upon (small r) republican principles and less concerned with building and maintaining an overseas empire then this would all be non-news.

Gotta agree with that.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 10:28 PM

The fact is no network was breached in this case. The low-level soldier had access to this material from Iraq. He had clearance.

US military networks are routinely breached by China and Russia. China and Russia have stolen more important military information than what WikiLeaks has shown so far.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/10/cyber-attack-linked-company-russian-spies/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5725714/cyber_attack_on_us_military_computers.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cyber-attack-Cripples-Critical-U-S-Military-Networks-99003.shtml

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/22/the_top_10_chinese_cyber_attacks_that_we_know_of

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article2409865.ece

If so much is reported in regards to China, just imagine what goes on.

Robert Gates doesn't think the latest leaks are much to worry about. Diplomatic embarrassment? Yes. Danger to our troops? Gates says no.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/30/AR2010113004037.html

I don't believe for one moment that a low-level soldier and a few guys with a website can be responsible for an international scandal which could alter history.

To put an end to this, the post which you quoted criticized the false dilemma presented by the saying: if you don't have anything to fear then you should not worry.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 10:31 PM
these leaks

thanks so much...I feel much better now. I am as libertarian as the next guy but after working on the SIPRnet in both iraq and afghanistan I understand the importance of protecting the information that is on that controlled network.

If you want to champion a more open government then pursue that lofty cause using legal means such as FOIA. Supporting or approving of theft or the illegal release of data from a controlled network which contains other data that could be used to harm US citizens and Soldiers just because it suits your ideological goals is wrong. I disagree with a lot of things in our government but I still support following the law.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 10:32 PM
The fact is no network was breached in this case. The low-level soldier had access to this material from Iraq. He had clearance.

Breached as in those that were entrusted to protect that information leaked it.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 10:36 PM
Nobody said they approved the theft of information or illegal distribution of information. It appears the wikileaks guy has done nothing wrong according to international laws, and maybe US laws. The only law breaker, the only guilty party is the guy who like you had clearance into the system. I think everybody here supports the troops, and following the law. I don't get the false assertions.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 10:38 PM
Breached as in those that were entrusted to protect that information leaked it.

Gotcha. Shame on them then.

Sooner5030
11/30/2010, 10:44 PM
This whole thread is either pro-wiki/spill secret info vs. protect it. There's a difference between the government withholding info from the public and classifying data that is dangerous in the hands of other or individuals.

I truly believe in the need for classification of certain data. When I see people cheering for wiki I liken it to those that cheered for Pirate Bay or napster because sticking it to someone or an entity they don't like justifies that laws were broken to do so.

AlboSooner
11/30/2010, 10:54 PM
This whole thread is either pro-wiki/spill secret info vs. protect it. .

I don't think it's that simple. We agree on the fact that we can't have info out there which harms the troops or civilian Americans. We agree that it's not ok to break the law.

There are many facets to the leaks. One of them is the corruption in many countries around the world and nefarious affairs which those governments indulge in.

The experts who have read this stuff are saying this is secondary stuff, middle level diplomatic wires.

One wire for example revealed than a reported earthquake in the country of Albania, was indeed because of illegal procedures by an oil company backed by the government, which put the lives of many people in danger. Now those people know they were lied by their govt. I don't see nothing wrong with that.

Another wire said that Saudi Arabia is sick and tired of Iran. That may cause Iran to tone it down a bit, and it may weaken the Arab nation league, which is good news in my opinion.

So while I don't like that the info was leaked, and I don't want our troops to be in danger, I'm happy *some* of the info came out. SOME.

Blue
11/30/2010, 11:00 PM
I love watching CNN and Fox squirm spouting off about "journalism." If they did their job, this guy would not have to.

Now it looks like they're gonna arrest him. They'll send him to the gulag I guess.

Penguin
11/30/2010, 11:17 PM
I'm starting to think that a lot of users on Soonerfans are posting from a remote compound in Idaho.

Wikileaks is in no way a good thing and it should have been taken down faster than www.discountchildprostitutes.com (http://www.discountchildprostitutes.com)

Thaumaturge
11/30/2010, 11:22 PM
If Wikileaks is interested in saving lives, why doesn't it expose the millions of dead babies being churned out by abortion mills every day?

Oh? That's right! IT'S NOT.

Midtowner
12/1/2010, 08:10 AM
If you want to champion a more open government then pursue that lofty cause using legal means such as FOIA.

One thing these leaks make clear is that the government has no respect for FOIA or openness laws. The routine way in which some documents which are really no big deal to anyone are marked off-limits almost seems to laugh in the face of sunshine laws.

This isn't about sticking it to the man. This is about the government no longer feeling secure that it can do bad things and get away with them.

Sooner5030
12/1/2010, 08:49 AM
One thing these leaks make clear is that the government has no respect for FOIA or openness laws.

You own the government.......if you don't like it then change the law. That's how we got FOIA..........not by stealing our way to transparency.

MR2-Sooner86
12/2/2010, 04:37 PM
Would just like to add, a whole lot of people loved Wikileaks when they released those e-mails from climatologist and "climategate" broke out. Now...?

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/2/2010, 04:42 PM
If Wikileaks is interested in saving lives, why doesn't it expose the millions of dead babies being churned out by abortion mills every day?

troll? 2/10

OnlyOneOklahoma
12/2/2010, 04:45 PM
Would just like to add, a whole lot of people loved Wikileaks when they released those e-mails from climatologist and "climategate" broke out. Now...?

hehe. This post needs to be accompanied by a Randy Savage Super Slam. So many people have tried to make this a leftist political issue when in reality Assange publishes without discrimination. Unless he disagrees with my views, then he needs to be killed, as some posters have stated.

The
12/2/2010, 04:47 PM
hehe. This post needs to be accompanied by a Randy Savage Super Slam. So many people have tried to make this a leftist political issue when in reality Assange publishes without discrimination. Unless he disagrees with my views, then he needs to be killed, as some posters have stated.

It's not really right versus left, I think it's more Authoritarian vs Libertarian.

OnlyOneOklahoma
12/2/2010, 04:52 PM
I thought you would post the super slam macro. Disappointed...

You are right though, but many people who want small government "libertarian" are acting very "authoritarian" in this instance. It is interesting how people switch sides.

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2010, 05:13 PM
It's not really right versus left, I think it's more Authoritarian vs Libertarian.

This is 100% correct.

Sooner5030
12/2/2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know a lot of libertarians.....except for SicEmBaylor that support the means (theft and possession of stolen data) to justify the end result of publicizing state department memos.

I'll make the point one more time even though most don;t give a ****. That network contains too much info that could be used to harm those in combat. It might not have occurred here but the same lack of care for following the law is what caused the leak.

SicEmBaylor does not have the right to secret operational orders, flight times, airspace deconfliction data, MRAP RPG vulnerability analysis and many other documents shared on that network in theater. If you really want it.....join up and get a clearance.

If you don't support the war and the waste of $$ that is fine. Support a Representative that will bring the troops home to do what you want. But when the majority of the representatives approve of actions that differ from you it doesn't mean you can just opt out of following the law and support those that break the law.

We all benefit from a very fragile belief in the rule of law. That is how libertarians can "appear" authoritarian in this thread.

Scott D
12/2/2010, 07:18 PM
My major problem is that I can't take seriously a guy whose name is Julius Assclown.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/2/2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know a lot of libertarians.....except for SicEmBaylor that support the means (theft and possession of stolen data) to justify the end result of publicizing state department memos.

I'll make the point one more time even though most don;t give a ****. That network contains too much info that could be used to harm those in combat. It might not have occurred here but the same lack of care for following the law is what caused the leak.

SicEmBaylor does not have the right to secret operational orders, flight times, airspace deconfliction data, MRAP RPG vulnerability analysis and many other documents shared on that network in theater. If you really want it.....join up and get a clearance.

If you don't support the war and the waste of $$ that is fine. Support a Representative that will bring the troops home to do what you want. But when the majority of the representatives approve of actions that differ from you it doesn't mean you can just opt out of following the law and support those that break the law.

We all benefit from a very fragile belief in the rule of law. That is how libertarians can "appear" authoritarian in this thread.
brb using embassy cables to take down the US government

Midtowner
12/2/2010, 07:59 PM

You win.

You have just written the most extreme non sequitur ever on the internet.

Midtowner
12/2/2010, 08:00 PM

Obama voters voted for a President who committed to bringing the troops home from Iraq and closing Guantanamo.

How's that working out?

Sooner5030
12/2/2010, 08:04 PM
Obama voters voted for a President who committed to bringing the troops home from Iraq and closing Guantanamo.

How's that working out?

I feel sorry for them.....they voted under the influence of Hopium.

CatfishSooner
12/3/2010, 04:04 AM
wikileaks site is down now...interesting...

Scott D
12/3/2010, 12:19 PM
Congrats to Julian Assgrabber for pissing off the most powerful people in the world. Somehow I think even Salman Rushdie would point out where he is if he knew.

I Am Right
12/3/2010, 12:32 PM
Wilileaks, GONE!

Midtowner
12/3/2010, 02:21 PM
Not gone. Just check their twitter feed.

There have been DoS attacks against the owners of their DNS servers who have dropped them. You can find them now at http://88.80.13.160.

MR2-Sooner86
12/3/2010, 02:26 PM
Also here...

www.wikileaks.ch