PDA

View Full Version : Onside Kick Strategy

Leroy Lizard
11/28/2010, 11:54 PM
Our strategy of putting all 11 near midfield is rather unusual. Does any other team do this?

How safe is this?

kevpks
11/28/2010, 11:55 PM
I don't know but kicking it right to Broyles is about as low percentage as it gets.

agoo758
11/28/2010, 11:56 PM
Well, we are 100 percent on onside kick recoveries so far, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

Okie35
11/28/2010, 11:57 PM
I'm sure Bob was thinking about how Cincy kicked the ball in the middle during an onside earlier in the year. We had nobody there but luckily we recovered it.

StoopTroup
11/28/2010, 11:58 PM
Our strategy of putting all 11 near midfield is rather unusual. Does any other team do this?

How safe is this?

It's not safe....it's why they wear pads and helmets Leroid. :D

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 12:00 AM
Well, we are 100 percent on onside kick recoveries so far, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

So far no team has tried to kick it deep.

Okie35
11/29/2010, 12:02 AM

* did but Demarco picked it up.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 12:02 AM
Like Bob said last time around, he is confident out guys would be able to run to the ball; although he did say that he wouldn't do that again.

GottaHavePride
11/29/2010, 12:03 AM
Were all 11 up? I thought we left one back around the 20 or so.

Okie35
11/29/2010, 12:04 AM
Were all 11 up? I thought we left one back around the 20 or so.

We usually do but I can't remember if that was the case last night.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 12:06 AM
We usually do but I can't remember if that was the case last night.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=6796539

Consider the source.

Okie35
11/29/2010, 12:08 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=6796539

Consider the source.

We might've had all 11 up but either way I think we would've been able to run back and get the ball.

agoo758
11/29/2010, 12:18 AM

Even if they kick it deep. We got a head start on them. Personally, I would put a guy back there, just to be safe. But if you are going to bitch at me when I criticize wilson, I am going to bitch at you when you criticize stoops.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 12:22 AM
He addressed this after the other game, but then said he wouldn't do it again if a team were to onside kick.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2010, 12:31 AM
But if you are going to bitch at me when I criticize wilson, I am going to bitch at you when you criticize stoops.

:confused:

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 12:52 AM
Speaking of kicks... so we had the long TD to Kenney, and we are getting ready to kick off. I said to wife, "Hey, they're kicking from the right hash after kicking from the left all game long. Why are they changing now when it has been working so well. You watch, someone is going to bust their lane assignment they're going to return it." Aaaaaand boom.

That's the only criticism I have as a fan regarding any coaching staff: overthinking it. You see it all the time in the NFL... coaches start going away from what has been working all game long. Usually they'll quip they had to because the other team was making adjustments. I guess I subscribe to letting them make all the adjustments they want, but continue doing what you have been doing until they prove that their adjustments are beating you.

(This is a general commentary... not necessarily directed at our staff...)

Anywho, that's why the don't pay me the big bucks I 'spose.

soonercastor
11/29/2010, 12:58 AM
yeah the coverage was pretty awesome last night until that point. Was a little too boozy to pay 'tention to the left and right hash marks :D

OUNC06
11/29/2010, 04:36 AM
Speaking of kicks... so we had the long TD to Kenney, and we are getting ready to kick off. I said to wife, "Hey, they're kicking from the right hash after kicking from the left all game long. Why are they changing now when it has been working so well. You watch, someone is going to bust their lane assignment they're going to return it." Aaaaaand boom.

That's the only criticism I have as a fan regarding any coaching staff: overthinking it. You see it all the time in the NFL... coaches start going away from what has been working all game long. Usually they'll quip they had to because the other team was making adjustments. I guess I subscribe to letting them make all the adjustments they want, but continue doing what you have been doing until they prove that their adjustments are beating you.

(This is a general commentary... not necessarily directed at our staff...)

Anywho, that's why the don't pay me the big bucks I 'spose.

I suppose you also knew that OSU was going to have two blatant blocks in the back at the point of attack. The refs got caught up in the excitement and decided to ignore it.

SoonerDood
11/29/2010, 06:47 AM
I don't know but kicking it right to Broyles is about as low percentage as it gets.

HAHAHA I noticed that too! Stupid Aggies!

Jacie
11/29/2010, 07:20 AM
I suppose you also knew that OSU was going to have two blatant blocks in the back at the point of attack. The refs got caught up in the excitement and decided to ignore it.

Fortunately, the Sooners prevailed. Otherwise, we'd be watching reruns of that return for the next 30 years . . .

soonerloyal
11/29/2010, 07:44 AM
Fortunately, the Sooners prevailed. Otherwise, we'd be watching reruns of that return for the next 30 years . . .

Just thirty? The AD would've had the footage highlighted in every piece of video shown at any OSU athletic event from now till world's end. Just sayin'.

thecynic
11/29/2010, 08:23 AM
why did they line up on the left hash for that one extra point late in the game? I never heard anyone say why they might have done that. seemed kinda weird to me.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 11:32 AM
why did they line up on the left hash for that one extra point late in the game? I never heard anyone say why they might have done that. seemed kinda weird to me.

Maybe just to stick the knife in that it was much-maligned Jimmy Steven's 4 for 4 kicking that had a big part in beating them.

Nah, they probably had a fake called for a two point conversion if oSu lined up tight only to attempt the PAT block. I'd have to look at it again but oSu probably backed out into a safe defense and so we aborted the two point play. (48-38 at that point would have meant a field goal and TD could only tie, not win.)

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 11:33 AM
Just thirty? The AD would've had the footage highlighted in every piece of video shown at any OSU athletic event from now till world's end. Just sayin'.

They would have made video medallions for graduation....

soonerboy_odanorth
11/29/2010, 11:39 AM

To your point I do know refs tend to "let 'em play" in games like this. Thank you.

Besides, it didn't look to me like those two BIB would necessarily have made the difference. He had huge daylight to the right. Looked to me like someone broke lane discipline.

cyclonesooner
11/29/2010, 12:09 PM
How many kickoff returns for touchdowns have we given up in the past 3 years ? Totally inept !

stoopified
11/29/2010, 01:03 PM
I understand questioning a play that doesn't work,but when it works WTF?