PDA

View Full Version : "Last game in the Big 12? So what!"

BigRedTradition
11/28/2010, 09:49 PM
...so says Switzer.

As end nears, Switzer recalls NU-OU rivalry

By Dirk Chatelain
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

... But only one coaching legend will be in Dallas on Saturday night when the two schools clash for the last Big 12 title.
Switzer will be in Manhattan, a few blocks from Times Square. Each year, he and his wife schedule a vacation around the College Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Switzer, 73, isn't sure where he'll watch OU-NU — maybe his hotel room at the Waldorf on Park Avenue. He doesn't intend to miss anything.
To Switzer, Oklahoma and Nebraska will always be the giants who clashed every year, at the end of the season, with an Orange Bowl and a potential national title on the line.
“That's how I think of Oklahoma and Nebraska,” Switzer said Sunday. “I don't have any attachment to the Big 12 at all other than being a fan, a spectator. I never coached a game in the Big 12. It meant nothing to me.
“Last game in the Big 12? So what?”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101128/BIGRED/711289864

85sooners
11/28/2010, 10:36 PM
:D

tooslow
11/28/2010, 10:36 PM
I agree. I'm not a conference fan, I'm a OU fan. I find it hilarious listening to the locals here in TN start up with "SEC" this and that. To me, it's nothing but a copout to root for a Conference when your team is having a crappy year. The Vikings having a bad year? They play in the NFC! NFC, NFC, NFC!! Nope, doesn't sound right at all.

oksoonerdave
11/28/2010, 10:43 PM
OU all the way.....

StoopTroup
11/28/2010, 10:48 PM
They will regret their decision

Husker In Oklahoma
11/28/2010, 10:50 PM
They will regret their decision

Not hardly. :rolleyes:

CrimsonRez
11/28/2010, 11:03 PM

How does it help exactly? Don't say academics...just because you move to a conference with "better academics" doesn't mean that you automatically get better academically. Don't say athletically, unless you plan on being in the basement in every sport except football (in which you will be tosu's bitch every year). But I'm guessing just like everything else it's money.

agoo758
11/28/2010, 11:52 PM
Some people say that they don't care about their conference, only OU, which I actually agree with, but then they contradict themselves by getting so bent out of shape when Nebraska leaves the Big 12. Why should it matter if you don't care about anyone except yOUr team?

Okie35
11/28/2010, 11:54 PM
I agree. I'm not a conference fan, I'm a OU fan. I find it hilarious listening to the locals here in TN start up with "SEC" this and that. To me, it's nothing but a copout to root for a Conference when your team is having a crappy year. The Vikings having a bad year? They play in the NFC! NFC, NFC, NFC!! Nope, doesn't sound right at all.

Exactly

HuskerFan
11/29/2010, 12:18 AM
Why did Nebraska join the Big 10?

1. Money. The Big 10's television contract and bowl tie ins are better than the Big 12's.

2. Academics. Being a member of the Big 10 will improve the academic standing of the University of Nebraska and bring into Lincoln millions of dollars in additional research grants. This will create good jobs in Lincoln, Nebraska.

3. To get out from under the dominance of Texas. Due to it's television network, Texas will soon have a significant financial advantage over the rest of the remaining schools in what's left of the Big 12. This should be of great concern to Sooner fans. Nebraska would've stayed in the Big 12 if Texas was willing to share the revenues from it's television network but Texas refused. And the rest of the Big 12 has decided to allow Texas to keep all of those revenues.

4, Stability. The Big 10 is a stable league that will be around for a long time. The same can't be said for the Big 12. The contract for the Big 12 runs out in either 2014 or 2016. There are no guarantees that Texas will stick around. If the Texas network turns out to be a big success, Texas may go independent. If that should happen, the remaining schools in the Big 12 will have to scramble for the exits. My educated guess is that Oklahoma will land on their feet if that happens.

okie52
11/29/2010, 12:39 AM
Why did Nebraska join the Big 10?

1. Money. The Big 10's television contract and bowl tie ins are better than the Big 12's.

2. Academics. Being a member of the Big 10 will improve the academic standing of the University of Nebraska and bring into Lincoln millions of dollars in additional research grants. This will create good jobs in Lincoln, Nebraska.

3. To get out from under the dominance of Texas. Due to it's television network, Texas will soon have a significant financial advantage over the rest of the remaining schools in what's left of the Big 12. This should be of great concern to Sooner fans. Nebraska would've stayed in the Big 12 if Texas was willing to share the revenues from it's television network but Texas refused. And the rest of the Big 12 has decided to allow Texas to keep all of those revenues.

4, Stability. The Big 10 is a stable league that will be around for a long time. The same can't be said for the Big 12. The contract for the Big 12 runs out in either 2014 or 2016. There are no guarantees that Texas will stick around. If the Texas network turns out to be a big success, Texas may go independent. If that should happen, the remaining schools in the Big 12 will have to scramble for the exits. My educated guess is that Oklahoma will land on their feet if that happens.

Some of what you say is true but your statement about the TX network being a thorn for NU or OU is inaccurate. NU was ahead of TX and OU on its own TV network and NU supported unequal sharing of revenues. This was all published in the Omaha World Heralds account of how and why NU bolted for the Big 10.

OU and TX are locked at the hip. They won't be going anywhere without each other or their little brothers...OSU and Ttech.

Many Husker fans are under the impression NU left in defieance of TX but it really boiled down to NU not wanting to be left out in the cold should conference realignments have occurred with say a Pac 16. When the opportunity came NU took its shot. They did what was in their best interests.
Nothing wrong with that. But this rebel mentality that many Husker fans think was behind their departure are inaccurate.

Sooners78
11/29/2010, 09:38 AM

Yep. This year, you won't hear Auburn fans chanting SEC, and last year you didn't hear Bama fans chanting SEC. It's only the SEC teams who are sucking that do it. I wouldn't be surprised if the gamepri@k fans start chanting it in the fourth quarter while getting throttled by Auburn in the SEC Championship.

sooneron
11/29/2010, 09:46 AM
He should watch it with the OU Club up here. The watch party is at a bar within stumbling distance of the Waldorf.

BYRK
11/29/2010, 09:56 AM
Looking forward to playing everyone!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2010, 10:25 AM
3. To get out from under the dominance of Texas.

that's for sure

Bourbon St Sooner
11/29/2010, 10:31 AM

texass has had a significant financial advantage for years and yet we own the B12 in football. You guys just used it as an excuse for why you couldn't compete. After we pound you guys this weekend in Dallas, you can use texass refs or the game's always in the South or whatever other excuse you can find.

delhalew
11/29/2010, 10:39 AM
As if anyone other than the Sooner own this conference. If Nebraska wanted more money, ALL they had to do was win. Nebraska's exit is solely responsible for instability in the Big 12.
Tell the truth Huskers. When you join the Big Ten, you should change your colors to YELLOW.

XingTheRubicon
11/29/2010, 10:52 AM
Don't blame Nebraska one bit for leaving. Happy for them, actually.

The Big XII is now a joke of a conference. Our top 3 elite teams next year will include Oklahoma State and Missouri.

While we're taking the shuttle from the airport to Ames, Nebraska will be playing Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Iowa etc.

soonerbub
11/29/2010, 11:28 AM
Some people say that they don't care about their conference, only OU, which I actually agree with, but then they contradict themselves by getting so bent out of shape when Nebraska leaves the Big 12. Why should it matter if you don't care about anyone except yOUr team?

I fall into this category. It's not about conference pride--it's the fact that Nebraska leaving hurts OU. We were basically stuck in the middle of a pissing match between NU and texass (simple fact of geography as much as anything else).

NU couldn't handle the fact that they have declined as a program and used texass as the excuse. When the Big XII started we were at our lowest depths as a program ever but instead of whining (as NU did at the time of the merger when they were on top of the world!) we finally decided to cut bait w boo and fate brought about the perfect storm (Stoops & talent on campus) to regain our natural state of dominance.

We were used to texass and we know how to shut their whorn asses up--NU was not used to the arrogance that is and always will be :texan: (NU actually thought we were bad all those years!) and when the program dipped after absolutely dominating the early years NU cried foul.

So the die is cast and I can only say SEE YA enjoy mediocrity in your new home.

oh and TEXASS SUX

KantoSooner
11/29/2010, 11:38 AM
Whatever Neb's reasons, they will do very well in the B10. They will dominate in football. (Yes, those of you who love tOSU might find this hard to believe, but fat, white and slow is more than just a line from Animal House. Nebs will slaughter them like dull beasts.) They will make more money in the process. It won't make them smarter or more academically accomplished, either in the athletic departments or in the student body in general.
And they will follow in the grand tradition of B10 schools by collapsing whenever they play the B12 or SEC.
World without end.

StoopTroup
11/29/2010, 01:02 PM
Wisconsin will make NU their bitch too.

Why would you want a bunch of badgers to deal with?

We've got one Badger here and although she's a good one....one is enough. :D ;)

PalmBeachSooner
11/29/2010, 01:44 PM

It might be a better financial situation, but that's it. They might benefit from the conference being split into divisions, but I don't see them having anymore success in that conference than they did in the Big XII.

I think they will struggle in all other sports except for women's volleyball.

thecornrules
11/29/2010, 02:40 PM
Switzer's big mouth is just going to be another reason why OU is going to get stomped and why they will be steamrolled Sat night.

You haven't faced as good a run offense or as physically tough, WRs unable to separate in the passing game defense as you will face this weekend. oh wait, teams like utah state moved the ball and and air force ran all over you.

You haven't seen anything yet.

Get prepared for a lot of 3 and outs and short drives on offense for you while we show you how real football is played.

This is the weakest OU team and softest I've seen under Stoops on both sides, especially running D and run offense. He should be embarrassed at his record with the talent he always gets.

You pass better than you run which just doesn't bode well for you Sat night. and QBs seem too chicken or unwilling to throw balls against defenses as tightly as my Huskers cover people.

delhalew
11/29/2010, 02:57 PM
Switzer's big mouth is just going to be another reason why OU is going to get stomped and why they will be steamrolled Sat night.

You haven't faced as good a run offense or as physically tough, WRs unable to separate in the passing game defense as you will face this weekend. oh wait, teams like utah state moved the ball and and air force ran all over you.

You haven't seen anything yet.

Get prepared for a lot of 3 and outs and short drives on offense for you while we show you how real football is played.

This is the weakest OU team and softest I've seen under Stoops on both sides, especially running D and run offense. He should be embarrassed at his record with the talent he always gets.

You pass better than you run which just doesn't bode well for you Sat night. and QBs seem too chicken or unwilling to throw balls against defenses as tightly as my Huskers cover people.

That's the spirit!
:D Lmao

HuskerFan
11/29/2010, 03:13 PM
Nebraska isn't "yellow" and isn't afraid of the competition in the Big 12. We went through some bad times when Bill Callahan was the coach but now Nebraska is back in football. Bo Pelini and his staff have been miracle workers. Outside of men's basketball, Nebraska is very competitive in most sports. Moreover, there is now hope for our downtrodden men's basketball program. Thanks to the leadership of Tom Osborne, the City of Lincoln and the University are building a first rate arena. Moreover, a men's basketball practice facility is also under construction. In any event, we Husker fans are going to miss the Sooners.

KantoSooner
11/29/2010, 03:14 PM
That's the spirit!
:D Lmao

You really would have had to have looked hard to find a better straight man. Down to the screen name.

Precious.

royalfan5
11/29/2010, 03:19 PM
It might be a better financial situation, but that's it. They might benefit from the conference being split into divisions, but I don't see them having anymore success in that conference than they did in the Big XII.

I think they will struggle in all other sports except for women's volleyball.

Our Women's Hoops team is set up pretty well to compete, and baseball will benefit from being a Southern school for once. Wrestling will probably be a wash.

Football Jim
11/29/2010, 03:46 PM
I love it when corntrolls came on to the OU boards to claim they are the biggest, baddest, bestest........ya,ya,ya

Sooner Magic. enough said.

Veritas
11/29/2010, 04:47 PM
I love it when corntrolls came on to the OU boards to claim they are the biggest, baddest, bestest........ya,ya,ya

Sooner Magic. enough said.
As the senior corntroll I don't really get it either.

TXBOOMER
11/29/2010, 04:56 PM
I was ready to go to the PAC 1000. F texass'es Big 12!

StoopTroup
12/2/2010, 12:39 AM

I didn't mean you would regret it....I meant the real fans and the Folks who run things. The guy who shoots hot dogs out of the air cannon and you aren't really gonna be affected.

Simma down now....

slh1234
12/2/2010, 12:43 AM
I was ready to go to the PAC 1000. F texass'es Big 12!

I'd like to see OU in the PAC. I'd like to see more games televised in the Bay Area, and see OU come to the Bay Area or Seattle where I can actually watch them play a little more often.

I also thought the "super conference" idea was intriguing. It would be especially good if they divided into 4 divisions and had a 4 team playoff to a conference championship. That could be the kind of thing that could lead to a national playoff - especially if conferences with a playoff or championship game each sent one game to the playoff :).

LiveLaughLove
12/2/2010, 03:25 AM
Don't blame Nebraska one bit for leaving. Happy for them, actually.

The Big XII is now a joke of a conference. Our top 3 elite teams next year will include Oklahoma State and Missouri.

While we're taking the shuttle from the airport to Ames, Nebraska will be playing Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Iowa etc.

This for sure.

The revisionism going on is staggering about the conference lunacy.

We screwed NU over first by not agreeing to play them every year when the Big XII was formed. We were in the midst of the worst years of my lifetime and we said no thanks to playing Texas and NU every season.

That killed NU's one big game a season. They were left scrambling to find a rival. Hello KSU?! Not much excitement there.

Then Texas goes from the outhouse to the penthouse in nothing flat in football and basketball, thanks to this new big conference. Do they appreciate being saved from the dead SWC? Heck no! They start throwing their weight around even more than before!

NU wanted out a while back, but when Texas once more started looking elsewhere that was it for NU and Dr. Tom. They screwed over Mizzou who was looking to get out, and took their spot in the Big X.

Good for them! Mizzou sucks anyway.

NU will be hurt in recruiting Texas kids, but I think overall this was the best deal for them. The Big XII North would have continued to flounder. Sure a decent team would pop up now and then, but overall, they can't compete for the recruiting the way it was set up in those divisions.

Kids don't like the cold. Given the choice, they tend to stay further south.

In the Big X all of the schools are in that crappy weather. NU will start raiding Ohio and those places. I hope they kick total butt in the Big X.

After we kick theirs this weekend.

delhalew
12/2/2010, 09:11 AM
I'd like to see OU in the PAC. I'd like to see more games televised in the Bay Area, and see OU come to the Bay Area or Seattle where I can actually watch them play a little more often.

I also thought the "super conference" idea was intriguing. It would be especially good if they divided into 4 divisions and had a 4 team playoff to a conference championship. That could be the kind of thing that could lead to a national playoff - especially if conferences with a playoff or championship game each sent one game to the playoff :).

I think anything bigger than 12 lacks the regionally and familiarity that make a great conferences.
I suspect super conferences will be another blow to the magic that makes the college game so special.

cattlemaster
12/2/2010, 09:31 AM
Wish we were heading to that conference with Nebraska. Talk about some great games and traditions. It would be EPIC :)

Sooner_Tuf
12/2/2010, 11:02 AM

They have a little blue pill for that. Not sure if they have one that will get the Husker's tail from between their legs.

The Huskers were a great rival for many years and we had a ton of great games with them. Those Huskers have been gone for at least a decade.

Those people thinking the Husker Rivalry was bigger or better than the one with Texas are smoking crack. The OU/Texas rivalry has been intense far longer than the one with Nebraska.

Nebraska didn't arrive until about 1970. While we had some good games before that they were closer to being Kansas than a great rival.

The Texas rivalry has been intense since at least the 1940's. I'll miss Nebraska but I have been missing them for a about decade now anyway. Nebraska leaving the conference doesn't really change anything for an OU Fan today.

I wish em well but I won't shed any tears for the modern day Huskers. They created their bad situation and have nobody to blame but themselves. They leave the Big XII bitter blaming Texas and the rest of the conference for their own inadequacies.