PDA

View Full Version : Ticket strategery for the Big 12 Title game at jerryworld

47straight
11/28/2010, 02:51 PM
I'm soliciting the sf.com collective wisdom.

Right now, the seats in the 400's sections are going for face -> 100. Club seats, 250+.

Conventional wisdom says that Nebraska fans travel well. Will they to JerryWorld? I have a hunch that they won't travel as well as they usually would to Arrowhead Stadium for the same game.

Collective widsom says that at OU games you can almost always get the best deal just getting to the stadium early and shopping around, no matter the game or place. But I don't know the scalper scene around Jerryworld, whether there will be as many for sale as at a usual bowl/B12C game.

A lot of ticket holders are probably Dallas Cowboys season ticket holders and corporate donors.

Anyways, I think that prices will drop. I'd guess to $50 for the 400's sections, and $150 for club. At least that's what I'm going to shoot for when walking around the stadium.

What say you all?

yermom
11/28/2010, 03:00 PM
i'm a little scared. Arlington's scalping policy is lame. i think it gives scalpers the advantage

if it was Arrowhead, they would be under $50 for lower bowl, easy

47straight
11/28/2010, 03:03 PM
i'm a little scared. Arlington's scalping policy is lame. i think it gives scalpers the advantage

How so? Do you mean that it gives the rich scalpers (ticketcity) an advantage because the poorer scalpers (regular touts on the streets) are banned?

Either way, I'd make the tout make the first offer above face.

StoopTroup
11/28/2010, 03:15 PM
This is from 2006....not sure they have changed the law down there though. Also with so many folks selling fakes these days...I'd make damn sure you know you are buying a real ticket and not a stolen ticket. Fakes have gotten very good these days and they folks who sell fakes are pretty wise to how to spot a mark or a Cop.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/040306dnsporangtickets.75da2f1.html

From the Texas Rangers and City of Arlington
Scalping/reselling of tickets for any price is not allowed in public. Exceptions to this are listed below in Section 15.05 Section C and D.

Soliciting is not allowed when a person is attempting to do business with occupants in a vehicle. Details about this are listed in section 15.02.

Charges under these ordinances are a class C misdemeanor. Fine may be up to $500.00

Undercover Arlington officers will be out to enforce these ordinances.

Below is the new Arlington city ordinance that covers scalping/reselling of tickets and also solicitation in specific areas:

ARTICLE XV
SOLICITATION AND DISTRIBUTION
JD_stree15_01LPTOC15_1
Section 15.01
Definitions
The following words and terms when used in this Article shall have the following meaning:

"Street or highway" shall mean the entire width between the right-of-way lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.

"Roadway" shall mean that portion of the public street which is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the curb, berm or shoulder. In the event that a public street includes two (2) or more separate roadways, "roadway" means each roadway separately.

"Sidewalk" shall mean that improved surface which is between the curblines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, and is improved and designed for or is ordinarily used for pedestrian travel.

"Median" shall mean that area or portion of a divided street, road or highway within the City separating the two (2) roadways of said street, road or highway and shall be held to include the curb, if any, at the outer edge of said area.

"Curb" shall mean the lateral lines of a roadway, whether constructed above grade or not, which are not intended for vehicular travel.

"Shoulder" shall mean the portion of a highway that is:

a. Contiguous to the roadway;

b. Designed or ordinarily used for parking;

c. Set off from the roadway by different design, construction or marking; and

d. Not intended for normal vehicular travel.

"Improved shoulder" shall mean a paved shoulder.

"Public right-of-way" shall mean:

a. That real property owned by the city, county, state or federal government or owned by a non-governmental entity or person, which property is dedicated to public use;

b. Including but not limited to sidewalks, medians, curbs, shoulders, improved shoulders, walkways, paths and any other area so owned, dedicated, used or reserved for public use;

c. Which is used or reserved for public use, including but not limited to use by vehicles, pedestrians and public utilities; and

d. That is in the area extending from the right and left of the center line of a public street, roadway or highway to the nearest property line which marks the juncture of private property and public right-of-way.

JD_stree15_02LPTOC15_2
Section 15.02
Prohibited Acts A. A person commits an offense if he or she stands on or in any manner occupies a shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, median or public right-of-way in the areas set out in Section 15.03 to solicit or attempt to solicit a ride, employment or business or charitable contributions from the occupants of any vehicle, other than a lawfully parked vehicle.

B. A person commits an offense if he or she stands on or in any manner occupies the shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, median or public right-of-way in the areas set out in Section 15.03 for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any product, property or service to the occupant of any vehicle, other than a lawfully parked vehicle.

C. No person shall stand or walk on or in any manner occupy a shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, median or public right-of-way for the purpose of distributing literature or any other object to the occupant of a vehicle, other than a lawfully parked vehicle.

D. No person shall stand on or in any manner occupy a street or shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, median or public right-of-way of a street, which has been closed to vehicular traffic, for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any product or service to another person, unless licensed by the person or entity granted by proper authority the closing of the street to vehicular traffic. (Amend Ord. 95-70, 6/6/95)

E. It is an exception to Subsections A and B that the person engages in such conduct with another pedestrian who is not standing in a street, highway or roadway. (Amend Ord. 95-70, 6/6/95)

F. This section does not relieve responsibility for compliance with V.A.T.C.S. Article 6701d, Section 81, Pedestrians on Roadways.

G. This section does not relieve responsibility for compliance with the licensing provisions, if applicable, provided for in the "Peddlers, Itinerant Vendors and Related Businesses" Chapter, Sections 9-1300, 0-1502 and 15-500, Open Air Vending of the "Zoning" Chapter; Section 4.02, Food Service Establishment and/or Section 4.03, Food Handlers – Permit Required of the "Health" Chapter; Sections 1.10 and/or 1.11 of the "Miscellaneous" Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington. 1987, as amended.

SCALPING AND RESELL (Recent Ordinance Revision): Section 15.05
Ticket Scalping

A. In this section the following words or terms shall have the following meaning:

"Event" – an event of public entertainment or amusement, including, but not limited to, "scheduled events" as defined in the "Miscellaneous Offenses" Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington, Texas.

"Event Sponsor" – with respect to an event, a person (including, but not limited to, owner, lessee, operator, promoter or manager of the event or site of the event; organizer of an athletic contest; team participating in a sporting event; performer of a concert; presenter of a program, presentation, lecture, service or video presentation; circus; rodeo; organizer of a religious event; and person or entity holding or owning (whether directly or indirectly) the legal possessory right or interest to use or occupy a main facility (as defined in the "Miscellaneous Offenses" Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington, Texas)) who owns or holds (whether directly or contractually through a delegated license or sublicense from the owner or holder of such right (as distinguished from a ticket purchaser)) the right to issue tickets or other admission licenses to the event.

"Resell" – to sell a ticket or other admission license to an event after such ticket or other admission license has been issued by the event sponsor.

B. A person may not resell a ticket or other admission license to an event, unless the person is within a structure for which a certificate of occupancy has been issued.

C. It is an exception to the application of Subsection B that the person is the event sponsor or is authorized to resell the ticket or other admission license by the event sponsor. Nothing herein shall restrict an event sponsor or person authorized by the event sponsor from selling, reselling or offering to sell or resell a ticket or other admission license to an event at any price.

D. It is an exception to the application of Subsection B that the person resells a ticket or other admission license to an event (1) within either the person's residence or the buyer's residence (regardless of whether a certificate of occupancy has been issued for such structure), (2) for the buyer's personal use and (3) at a price no greater than the price at which such ticket or other admission license was issued.

yermom
11/28/2010, 03:21 PM
How so? Do you mean that it gives the rich scalpers (ticketcity) an advantage because the poorer scalpers (regular touts on the streets) are banned?

Either way, I'd make the tout make the first offer above face.

it's not that it's illegal to sell tickets over face, it's illegal to sell them :rolleyes:

it's to the scalper's advantage because you can't gauge the supply of tickets by seeing people walking around holding tickets

also, regular fans that show up with extra tickets are less likely to hold them up and it's harder to find them

i'm no master at this process, but i've done it A LOT and Arlington's ordinances are just another reason i hate Jerry World

bluedogok
11/28/2010, 03:26 PM
i'm no master at this process, but i've done it A LOT and Arlington's ordinances are just another reason i hate Jerry World
Who do you think wrote those ordinances? The Rangers and Cowboys did that to funnel the resale business to their own resale departments and it has been reported in many markets about teams selling tickets to the "independent" resellers for a fee. Jerruh gots to pay off that debt somehow.

yermom
11/28/2010, 03:30 PM
it was like that before the Cowboys moved there

but yeah, it screws the fans either way

85sooners
11/28/2010, 03:31 PM
:eek:

thatmediadude
11/28/2010, 03:33 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned....but will we be home or visitor at Jerry World?

bluedogok
11/28/2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah, it was put in place long before Jerruh talked on moving to Arlington. I think it went into effect when The Ballpark was built since they didn't like the competition at the gate. I don't remember the law in place when I went to games at the old Arlington Stadium.

Soonerfan88
11/28/2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned....but will we be home or visitor at Jerry World?

Visitor

thatmediadude
11/28/2010, 03:48 PM
Visitor

Whew... Thanks a lot for the info man.

sooner94
11/28/2010, 03:54 PM
Don't count on buying tickets in Arlington the day of the game. I remember seeing only ONE guy trying to sell a ticket before the OU/BYU game outside the stadium. Nothing at all like Norman.

Get your tickets before you get to Arlington. Craigslist is probably your best option to get tickets at face. I think you can still get them on Ticketmaster if you don't mind being in the nosebleeds.

soonervegas
11/28/2010, 03:54 PM
I don't like reading...

So is there a law against putting my two fingers in the air?

sooner94
11/28/2010, 03:57 PM
I don't like reading...

You can put 2 fingers in the air but I don't think anyone will be there with any tickets.

rekamrettuB
11/28/2010, 03:57 PM
You don't want to sit in the 400s unless you are on the very first row and even then I wouldn't. It's very, very high since it's above all the suits. You basically sit there looking at the humongotron the entire time. The endzone 200-300 levels are much better viewing I think.

yermom
11/28/2010, 03:59 PM
i was with friends that got tickets outside the BYU game

i got tickets to the Cowboys/Eagles game last year

i saw tickets around, but people were too proud of them

47straight
11/28/2010, 03:59 PM
I don't like reading...

The way the ordinance reads, only if you were in your car.

yermom
11/28/2010, 04:03 PM
The way the ordinance reads, only if you were in your car.

B. A person may not resell a ticket or other admission license to an event, unless the person is within a structure for which a certificate of occupancy has been issued.

from the above text

soonerbub
11/28/2010, 04:12 PM
OU-Nebraska for the final Big XII Championship?

yeah it's gonna be a tough ticket

that said anyone got extras?
:mad: wish I'd seen Phil's sticky earlier

StoopTroup
11/28/2010, 04:17 PM
South is always Visitor and on the Northwest sides per the Big XII Conference site.

47straight
11/28/2010, 04:19 PM
from the above text

He was asking about putting two fingers in the air, standard procedure for buying, not selling. Only the seller would be cited in the text you quoted. The portion dealing with solicitation mentions doing it from your car.

beegee
11/28/2010, 04:29 PM
I'm poor and I'm thinking about grabbing some $35 "Party Pass" standing room only tickets. Anybody know how strict the ushers are on letting party passers fill empty seats?

yermom
11/28/2010, 04:33 PM
He was asking about putting two fingers in the air, standard procedure for buying, not selling. Only the seller would be cited in the text you quoted. The portion dealing with solicitation mentions doing it from your car.

ok, so it's just illegal to sell, but it still makes it harder to find the non-pros...

bluedogok
11/28/2010, 04:35 PM
Which means you have paid fees to the City of Arlington to operate a business (licenses, building permits, etc.) and pay taxes on revenue. So ultimately it is about the city getting their money from the transaction.

jharkins
11/28/2010, 06:03 PM
I live in Dallas and have gone and scalped tickets to multiple cowboys games. There are multiple places to legally buy tickets around the stadium. Multiple ticket resellers have little shops where they can sell tickets from. Wait til close to kickoff and the price will be right. This is what I plan on doing as I can all but guarantee there will be plenty of seats.

Or just find your friendly neighbor poke and buy theres from them.

soonersweetie
11/28/2010, 11:02 PM
I got mine from ticketmaster a couple weeks ago, not sure if they r still avail. They are in endzone on south team side. Cost $55 each plus fees. Still, that's cheaper than any ticket in Norman for this season's games.