PDA

View Full Version : Defense allowed 24 points tonight

soonercastor
11/28/2010, 01:26 AM
Great performance IMO, sure there were holes and I'm sure the coaches will address that. But that's much below their season average, pressure was on all night (except on one drive).

The guys were great overall. Murray, what a beast; hope he is OK and nothing too serious. Kenney stepped up big time, Madu filled in after DM7 went down. Broyles, you can just tell the dude is a vet knowing where the sticks are and making plays. Landry was just clutch there at the end and on the money.

Jimmy Stevens :pop:

KO coverage was pretty good all night until they returned it all the way, loss of concentration there from our part after the long TD.

The game got tight and we didn't panic, we played to win and that was a big statement.

The coaches put the players in a position to make plays and they delivered for the most part.

The team is peaking at the right time and corn aggy better be ready cuz the Sooner train is coming!!

Oh yeah KW does have ballz :eek:

;) no homo

BOOMER!

jumperstop
11/28/2010, 01:30 AM
I think they played pretty well.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/28/2010, 01:31 AM
Defense played good.....early TOs and KO return included, they did their job

SoonerGrant
11/28/2010, 01:32 AM
They allowed 200 yards less than their average. I think they played pretty well!

Okie35
11/28/2010, 01:32 AM
I think they played pretty well.

Yes they did considering their offense is really good. Next week it will be the opposite we'll be playing a mediocre offense.

StoopTroup
11/28/2010, 01:33 AM
I'm happy for 43,000 season ticket holders. I hope 58,000 get to see us kick their *** again in stoolwater next year....by 2012 they should be paying $20,000 each for the 5000 tickets we allot them. If it were me....I'd make their band watch from O'Connells

soonercastor
11/28/2010, 01:35 AM
They couldn't even sell this game out. That's pretty embarrassing.

Kadosh
11/28/2010, 01:38 AM
Defense kept us in the game. They pretty much saved Landry's behind.

proudsoonergal
11/28/2010, 01:39 AM
We allowed 24 points? That's unacceptable!!!! FIRE SOMEBODY!!!!

:rolleyes:

VA Sooner
11/28/2010, 01:39 AM
Defense was outstanding today. I agree... what's lost in the final score is that 14 of those points were not the defense's fault. Special teams brainfart and an errant pick 6 throw from Landry.

Kept the number one offense in the country to less than 300 yards... almost 200 yards less than their average.

Good showing by D. On to Dallas to give Nebraska their going away present.

btb916
11/28/2010, 01:45 AM
I'm happy for 43,000 season ticket holders. I hope 58,000 get to see us kick their *** again in stoolwater next year....by 2012 they should be paying $20,000 each for the 5000 tickets we allot them. If it were me....I'd make their band watch from O'Connells

When we play them in Norman in 2012, we should probably charge their team for standing room on the sidelines.

btb916
11/28/2010, 01:45 AM
And the D played a great game. Stout run D right from the get go, our d-line got some great pressure for most of the night, and our secondary did a great job. Hats off to the D!

OK2U
11/28/2010, 02:00 AM
Stoops mentioned in the post-game that they used some different/new defensive formations on line. According to the DOK, they ran a version of the "50 Defense"...

A once popular college defense with 5 defensive linemen and 2 linebackers. Also known as the "Oklahoma Defense," it is structurally very similar to the 3-4. In the 50-defense, the team uses a nose tackle (NT), 2 defensive tackles(DTs) lined up over or slightly inside the offensive tackles(OTs), and 2 defensive ends (DEs) lineup over or outside the tight end (TE). It maximizes size along the line of scrimmage and is mostly used only in high school against teams that run the ball a lot.

-Glossary of American Football

OK2U
11/28/2010, 02:02 AM
Stoops mentioned in the post-game that they used some different/new defensive formations on line. According to the DOK, they ran a version of the "50 Defense"...

Stoops:

"Give the players credit," Stoops said. "I thought their positioning and discipline, playing their spots was really solid. Some of the 50 stuff was different than what we've done in the past. That didn't hurt."

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-notebook-third-down-conversions-key-to-sooners-win/article/3518847#ixzz16YfQ5AKH

cyclonesooner
11/28/2010, 02:05 AM
Defense played well except for allowing pokes to drive the length of the field before half. Wish they wouldn't rush 3 lineman quite so much, but good job.

OK2U
11/28/2010, 02:11 AM
STILLWATER — Before last season, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops paid a visit to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to meet with Alabama coach Nick Saban.
A meeting that paid off in a 47-41 win over Oklahoma State on Saturday night at Boone Pickens Stadium and a share of another Big 12 South title.

With just a few days to do it, Stoops and defensive coordinator Brent Venables were able to install Alabama's famed “50 Defense” this week. A base look they hadn't shown before.
Stunning OSU's high-scoring offense, while also slowing it down.
“We got in a little bit of an odd look front more than we ever have. It worked out well for us,” Stoops said. “The kids really executed well. Brent did a nice job of mixing that in and going to a 50 front a lot more than we were used to going to it.”
Sure, the Sooners gave up 41 points. But one of those touchdowns came on a Landry Jones interception. Another was Justin Gilbert's kick return. And in the final minutes, when OSU scored 10 more of its points, OU was in prevent mode.
All season, OSU offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen seemed to be one step ahead of opposing defenses. But in his first taste of Bedlam, Holgorsen never could quite solve OU's defense, which delivered its best game of the Big 12 season.
“They schemed a few things that got to us,” Holgorsen said. “They've got pretty good players, and they got to us a little bit.”
The Sooners got to OSU by attacking speed with speed. OU used three defensive ends on the field at the same time, with Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander flanking the lone defensive tackle, and end Jeremy Beal essentially lining up at outside linebacker. Then, when they wanted to bring pressure, the Sooners walked up linebacker Austin Box to the line of scrimmage and brought him off the other edge.
For the first time all season, OSU quarterback Brandon Weeden was under duress. The Sooners didn't sack him, but they sure seemed to fluster him. Twice in the first half, Quinton Carter picked him off, the first interception leading to a Sooner touchdown.
But no defensive play was bigger than the interception in the fourth quarter. With just over six minutes to play, Lewis came humming around the edge and got his hand on the ball to tip it up, allowing Box to slice in with a diving interception at the OSU 18-yard line. The turnover set up another Jimmy Stevens field goal, putting OU up by two scores, and the Cowboys never recovered.
The Sooners got great individual efforts from all over the field. Cornerbacks Demontre Hurst and Jamell Fleming outplayed OSU's receivers. Yes, Blackmon was hobbled with an ankle injury. But even a hobbled Blackmon is better than most receivers.
Lewis and Box were in Weeden's face all night. Javon Harris replaced injured safety Jonathan Nelson and was dynamite in coverage over the middle of the field along with Carter and Tony Jefferson.
And Beal showed why he might be the league's best defensive player, leading the charge to hold Kendall Hunter to just 55 yards rushing, while also helping in coverage when OU went to the umbrella defense.
“I thought they had a good game plan,” said OSU coach Mike Gundy. “We never really got into a rhythm.”
The Sooners did that by taking away OSU's big plays. Save for a 28-yard run by running back Jeremy Smith and a breakdown at the end of the first half that allowed Blackmon to catch a bomb down the sidelines, the Sooners kept everything in front of them.
No other pass play went for more than 20 yards. No other run for more than 21. And in turn, OSU had to earn everything it got.
“Give the players credit,” Stoops said. “The defense was sensational.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/visit-to-alabama-pays-off-for-bob-stoops-sooners/article/3518854#ixzz16YhR5WXN

Read more: http://newsok.com/visit-to-alabama-pays-off-for-bob-stoops-sooners/article/3518854#ixzz16YhMaVhs

OK2U
11/28/2010, 02:17 AM
T. Lewis:

How big a factor was it to switch to a 50 defense in one week?
"That was huge. Anytime you're dropping eight (into coverage) you need to stop the run game. I felt for the most part we did that and made them pretty one-dimensional. Our corners made huge plays with the interceptions. (Austin) Box made a huge play at the end. Our guys really locked in and took that defense and made it ours."

Read more: http://newsok.com/three-questions-with-ous-travis-lewis-our-guys-really-locked-in.../article/3518848#ixzz16YjE7PO2