PDA

View Full Version : Something I said about USC is ringing true for Auburn as well

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2010, 11:14 AM
I had posted after all the sanctions, scholly limits, etc that USC suffered after the Reggie Bush fiaso, I believed that it really didn't matter much to them and that they would do it all over again. Why?

Because it was worth it. Even though they took the Heisman, and their NC, in everybody's mind it doesn't matter because we all watched them win that NC and Bush that Heisman. You can't take away memories, and it was worth the fame and glory they received when they won it..And they would do it all over again.

Auburn is the same way. Even if it turns out Newton was inelgible and they take his heisman away a year or 2 down the road, it won't matter. Because we saw what he did against Alabama. We saw the work he has done this season. In their minds even if they win the NC and it gets stripped, they will be NCs.

I think if Auburn knew about this early, even before the first game, they wouldn't change a thing.

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:16 AM
We were talking about this a few days ago, everyone had the same feeling. Even if he is declared inelgible, there is no doubt that he is the most explosive player in college football. Signature run(s), LSU and more, Signature comeback win(s), last week and Bammer yesterday.

JLEW1818
11/27/2010, 11:20 AM
yall don't know jack. i have inside sources that have been on this since the kid was crawling

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2010, 11:21 AM
you don't even watch football

JLEW1818
11/27/2010, 11:22 AM
you need to go visit my gparents, they been asking about you.

but on a serious note. I bet Auburn did know something about this. Roll the cubes

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:23 AM
Was it really worth it when we had Bomar and the stupid lineman get caught? No because not only did we not win any games that year.(Yeah we won like 7 regular season games, that's barely good enough to be a bowl IMO) It probably hurt our recruiting a bit the last 4 or 5 years.

DenverSooner751
11/27/2010, 11:33 AM
Was it really worth it when we had Bomar and the stupid lineman get caught? No because not only did we not win any games that year.(Yeah we won like 7 regular season games, that's barely good enough to be a bowl IMO) It probably hurt our recruiting a bit the last 4 or 5 years.

No.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2010, 11:33 AM
It probably hurt our recruiting a bit the last 4 or 5 years.

yep, which caused us to have to settle for a bunch of low ranked recruits like sam bradford.

if you look at our best classes they all share one common thread, we have been struggling and coaches have to actually figure out who can play because their jobs are on the line.

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:37 AM
yep, which caused us to have to settle for a bunch of low ranked recruits like sam bradford.

if you look at our best classes they all share one common thread, we have been struggling and coaches have to actually figure out who can play because their jobs are on the line.

Sam Bradford was already signed before we found out Bomar was cheating.

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:38 AM

Don't quote me on this, but last spring, one of the recruiting coordinators was fired because he was ranking recruits based on stars from Rivals and Scout. He was subsequently fired. This was brought to my attention by a grad assistant I had a class with.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2010, 11:43 AM

We didn't win a NC...or a heisman....of course it wasn't worth it...

JLEW1818
11/27/2010, 11:45 AM
That would have been Bomar's team in 2008

thank god

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2010, 11:45 AM
no kidding...lambfries

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:46 AM
USC will be out of the national picture for the next 5-10 years because of Reggie Bush. I don't think the cheating was worth it for them because if they never had him they would be one of the top programs in the country every year the next 10 years.

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:49 AM
You think 5-10 years? Pac-12 is going to have lots of hype and as of now you'd think it's going to be a pretty solid conference with the Quacks, Cardinals, Wildcats, Trojans and Utes. With Orgeron back in charge of recruiting they'll start pulling in more and more top talent. I think his experience at Ole Miss will also help as they try and cherry pick in the south. Won't be successful with OU, Uterus, Okie Lite (they can recruit Houston and Louisiana), LSU, Bammer and Florida but they'll try.

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:57 AM
Have you seen what will happen to USC's scholarships the next few years?

Someone did the math days after all of the limits were announced, but USC basically will have something like 40 players in 3 years with the scholarship limits. It's hard to win at the college level with 40 players. It'll take a few years after the sanctions are imposed for them to recover all that lost depth.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2010, 12:03 PM
bottom line is in hindsight they got a NC and heisman out of it...their recruiting got better after that was able to win a lot of games...

how do you know they would have won a NC or heisman in the next 5 years?

HBick
11/27/2010, 12:10 PM
how do you know they would have won a NC or heisman in the next 5 years?

this directed at me?

agoo758
11/27/2010, 12:45 PM
Don't quote me on this, but last spring, one of the recruiting coordinators was fired because he was ranking recruits based on stars from Rivals and Scout. He was subsequently fired. This was brought to my attention by a grad assistant I had a class with.

Programs fall in this trap all the time. Go look at Larry Coker with Miami and Bobby Bowden with FSU in the 2000's.

HBick
11/27/2010, 01:34 PM
Someone just got lazy, it happens. Couldn't imagine having to be responsible for 85 players, coaching staff, grad assistants, general athletic employees making sure everyone is doing their job. I mean compare that to OU Basketball, with what, 24 people involved max? With Kelvin breaking rules then the guy from last year with the Gallon scandal? I don't envy Bob or whoever has to watch over these people

OUthunder
11/27/2010, 01:36 PM
I had posted after all the sanctions, scholly limits, etc that USC suffered after the Reggie Bush fiaso, I believed that it really didn't matter much to them and that they would do it all over again. Why?

Because it was worth it. Even though they took the Heisman, and their NC, in everybody's mind it doesn't matter because we all watched them win that NC and Bush that Heisman. You can't take away memories, and it was worth the fame and glory they received when they won it..And they would do it all over again.

Auburn is the same way. Even if it turns out Newton was inelgible and they take his heisman away a year or 2 down the road, it won't matter. Because we saw what he did against Alabama. We saw the work he has done this season. In their minds even if they win the NC and it gets stripped, they will be NCs.

I think if Auburn knew about this early, even before the first game, they wouldn't change a thing.

I concur.

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 01:39 PM
I'm almost 100% sure that most coaches in the country are still doing what Kelvin Sampson got punished for. I wouldn't be shocked if our current basketball coach is still doing that. The Gallon stuff looks like we got away with because Gallon isn't important enough and there's nothing really connecting the FSU booster to OU.

MeMyself&Me
11/27/2010, 02:44 PM
If Cam N gets the Heisman and Auburn wins the title and what happens to Auburn is the same as what happens to USC then I do think that it was worth it and I think it was worth it with USC as well.

However, if it comes out Cam N is ineligible and that Auburn's administration/coaches knew about what caused his ineligibility before the season or were even involved with it and tried to cover it up... what happens to Auburn will be much worse than what happened to USC.