PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Legacy

The Maestro
11/27/2010, 10:20 AM
Tonight is a big game for him. We all know he has a world of talent and abilities. But proving it in a big game away from home is critical to his legacy. Leading us to a Big 12 title is important. Stoops has always won even yeared conference titles. Landry has to outduel a QB that many claim is better than him tonight.

I look at OSU and see a team that allowed 38 at home to Troy. I see a team that had Texas A&M march up and down the field on them and turn the ball over about five times, but STILL scored 35. I see a team that gave up 323 yards passing and 5 TD passes to a freshman RUNNING QB in Taylor Martinez at Nebraska.

38. 35. 51. Points allowed in games at home this year by OSU.

Landry has all the talent and all the weapons to use. No bonehead INT's. Don't get flustered and bail on a play. If the first guy is covered, find the other guys. Someone will be open. This is not the Steelers or Ravens. OSU's defense is brutal. Stay patient and execute, much like Sam did two years ago. We started slow but by the time the game was over we scored 61, 41 of those in the second half. This defense is THAT bad...we can get at least 40, maybe 50...and that should win it.

Time to step up to the next level, Landry...sure hope you do.

JRAM
11/27/2010, 11:23 AM
Not sure of the talents of LJ, but if he gets his head out early, maybe we have a chance. If he runs like a scared chicken, like he has so often, we are doomed. We are behind you LJ, but it is up to you to be cool and calm under pressure. Trust your teammates.

3rdgensooner
11/27/2010, 11:26 AM
The defense needs to help him out.

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:30 AM
The only QB that has ever been better as a sophomore at Oklahoma was Sam Bradford. Landry Jones is the least of our problems right now along with the rest of the talent we have. Our problems right now are squarely on preparing for these games. We have been horribly prepared for almost every road game the last 2 years. The big exception is of course last week. It's like we are preparing to play different teams those days.

btb916
11/27/2010, 11:30 AM
I don't really have any vested interest in Landry Jones' legacy. I hope he plays really well and dominates osu's D. But my main concern tonight is definitely not Landry Jones, but the play of the o-line, d-line, and linebackers. I think we've seen throughout the season that those are our biggest weaknesses. And that's all I personally care about. Forget an individual legacy; I'm more interested in OU's legacy.

jumperstop
11/27/2010, 11:33 AM
And he's probably got two more years left. I don't think people should talk about legacy before a player is even done.

JLEW1818
11/27/2010, 11:33 AM
the game is in Oklahoma .. i like our chances :D

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:35 AM
LB corps is doing okay, plus we have the 15th ranked pass defense according to Herbie, I did not know that.

But my biggest concern is the Secondary, they are going to have to Sharp, Blackmon can get open, and is easily the best WR we'll see all season. I'm assuming they'll stick J Flem on him and probably run zone packages with Q and J Nel to keep an eye on him

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:38 AM
LB corps is doing okay, plus we have the 15th ranked pass defense according to Herbie, I did not know that.

But my biggest concern is the Secondary, they are going to have to Sharp, Blackmon can get open, and is easily the best WR we'll see all season. I'm assuming they'll stick J Flem on him and probably run zone packages with Q and J Nel to keep an eye on him

Texas A&M has better WRs overall. And we probably see better WRs in practice everday with Broyles and Stills.

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 11:39 AM
We have no problems. This is a bait thread IMO. We're playing aggie in stoolwater and it looks like Sooner Fans have indeed stayed Home and avoided the joke that will be the lack of yet another sold out game in boone farm field. What a joke that place is. The lack of a sellout yet again proves that even a 12-1 run up there can't get their fans to cough up any jack to sellout their season tickets. Tonights OU Victory will continue to prove that the Poke Choke is alive and well. 2011...yet again another failed attempt to sellout the stadium for every stoolwater game. Mark it down.

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:40 AM
Texas A&M has better WRs overall. And we probably see better WRs in practice everday with Broyles and Stills.

I see what your saying, but at the same time, there is a reason Blackmon is in the Heisman discussion.

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 11:44 AM
I see what your saying, but at the same time, there is a reason Blackmon is in the Heisman discussion.

Blackmon is really good but is he really that much different from Broyles? Both of the guys are dynamic big play guys. 2 of the best in the nation right now. And will both be good pros. Texas A&M has a stud in Fuller also. May end up being a better pro than Broyles or Blackmon.

JLEW1818
11/27/2010, 11:47 AM
Broyles took a dump on blackmon's face

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:50 AM
Blackmon is really good but is he really that much different from Broyles? Both of the guys are dynamic big play guys. 2 of the best in the nation right now. And will both be good pros. Texas A&M has a stud in Fuller also. May end up being a better pro than Broyles or Blackmon.

Broyles is smaller, speed is close, but Blackmon looks like a mini Dez.

HBick
11/27/2010, 11:52 AM
We have no problems. This is a bait thread IMO. We're playing aggie in stoolwater and it looks like Sooner Fans have indeed stayed Home and avoided the joke that will be the lack of yet another sold out game in boone farm field. What a joke that place is. The lack of a sellout yet again proves that even a 12-1 run up there can't get their fans to cough up any jack to sellout their season tickets. Tonights OU Victory will continue to prove that the Poke Choke is alive and well. 2011...yet again another failed attempt to sellout the stadium for every stoolwater game. Mark it down.

I would be there but I'm in the library in Norman attempting to work on my capstone presentation. First Bedlam game I've missed in over a decade, but I'm working for that mystical thing called a college degree. I really want one so I can get a job and take get on the waiting list for tickets.

swardboy
11/27/2010, 12:00 PM
Excellent post Maestro.

AN EVEN YEAR CURSE ON THE REST OF THE CONFERENCE!!!!!

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 12:08 PM
I've got the money to buy tickets and go. I've got the time to still make it....and I'd love to go down there to take post game poke pics of them walking out with their slack jaws hanging open again. I think we're gonna stay here though. I just don't feel the need to go there for some reason. I have a feeling OUr guys are going to embarrass them on National TV again and this time it'll be worse than what Q did to the whorns in 2000.

oudavid1
11/27/2010, 01:00 PM
The only QB that has ever been better as a sophomore at Oklahoma was Sam Bradford. Landry Jones is the least of our problems right now along with the rest of the talent we have. Our problems right now are squarely on preparing for these games. We have been horribly prepared for almost every road game the last 2 years. The big exception is of course last week. It's like we are preparing to play different teams those days.

GAME! SET! MATCH!

VA Sooner
11/27/2010, 01:10 PM
I see this being a matchup of the defenses more so since the offenses are closely matched. Blackmon is impressive but I think Fleming will match up well. Pressure on Weeden will be the difference in the game... I hope that the Hammer is 100%. Rotating him and Wort (who is second in sacks only to Beal) will be a nice nightmare for the OSU QB. And Box being healthy helps us cover the middle... rotating LBs. Keep everyone fresh and playing the cat and mouse game with Dana Holgerson who I think is the biggest difference for the change at OSU this year.

soonercastor
11/27/2010, 01:14 PM
Lol at people comparing Broyles and Blackmon. DIFFERENT TYPES OF RECEIVERS.

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 01:18 PM
I almost got in the car a minute ago....

I have to maintain....avoid the aggie....

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 01:18 PM
If you read OSU message board crap they basically say that Broyles wouldn't start at OSU right now and it's good that he went to OU because they have more depth there. A year ago nobody knew who Blackmon was. Broyles was still putting up numbers.

cccasooner2
11/27/2010, 01:21 PM
Has a shot at beating OSU four years straight. I think that would win him a few points. :)

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 01:24 PM
blackmon is just been good enough to pull a lot of ducks out of thin air. Broyles has pulled a bunch of bullets out of thin air at around 28 mph horizontally flying across the turf between to defenders for a TD.

OUthunder
11/27/2010, 01:37 PM
Any news on Box, haven't heard a thing.

usaosooner
11/27/2010, 01:42 PM
lets do this LJ,

HBick
11/27/2010, 02:09 PM
Any news on Box, haven't heard a thing.

Everything I've heard so far says he is playing. Injury report said he was probable I think?

btb916
11/27/2010, 02:30 PM
I almost got in the car a minute ago....

I have to maintain....avoid the aggie....

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

You should go.

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 02:55 PM
The other voice in my head says...."Save your money for Dallas, you'll have a lot more fun.". :D

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2010, 04:05 PM
Tonight is a big game for him. We all know he has a world of talent and abilities. But proving it in a big game away from home is critical to his legacy. Leading us to a Big 12 title is important. Stoops has always won even yeared conference titles. Landry has to outduel a QB that many claim is better than him tonight.

I look at OSU and see a team that allowed 38 at home to Troy. I see a team that had Texas A&M march up and down the field on them and turn the ball over about five times, but STILL scored 35. I see a team that gave up 323 yards passing and 5 TD passes to a freshman RUNNING QB in Taylor Martinez at Nebraska.

38. 35. 51. Points allowed in games at home this year by OSU.

Landry has all the talent and all the weapons to use. No bonehead INT's. Don't get flustered and bail on a play. If the first guy is covered, find the other guys. Someone will be open. This is not the Steelers or Ravens. OSU's defense is brutal. Stay patient and execute, much like Sam did two years ago. We started slow but by the time the game was over we scored 61, 41 of those in the second half. This defense is THAT bad...we can get at least 40, maybe 50...and that should win it.

Time to step up to the next level, Landry...sure hope you do.

I'm not going to judge a player on the outcome of a single game.

The Maestro
11/27/2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not going to judge a player on the outcome of a single game.

Neither am I...but it is what he has done leading up to this that makes this a game that could make or break him, mentally as much as anything. His performance last year on the road showed signs, but lacked the big play. Miami, Tech, Missouri this year...late against aTm.

It is just an "IT" factor thing...and if he can lead OU to the win, I expect nothing more than a great last couple of years at OU and this game will be the turning point for him. If we lose, he may have this reputation and albatross he cannot get out from under.

Huepel...Hybl...White...Thompson...Bradford. They all won conference titles at quarterback at OU. Landry has plenty of time, but this is a defense he should be able to exploit. OSU has great offensive weapons, but the defense is average to below average. OL, DL...college football is ALL ABOUT QUARTERBACKS!! Don't think so? Ask folks in Austin what life is like without VY or Colt. Time for Landry to step up and be the man. This is his crossroads at OU...not just a one game judgement.

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 05:03 PM
Neither am I...but it is what he has done leading up to this that makes this a game that could make or break him, mentally as much as anything.

Same **** they said before the FSU game this year and the RRSO and the Mizzou game. It gets really old.

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2010, 05:03 PM
Neither am I...but it is what he has done leading up to this that makes this a game that could make or break him, mentally as much as anything. His performance last year on the road showed signs, but lacked the big play. Miami, Tech, Missouri this year...late against aTm.

It is just an "IT" factor thing...and if he can lead OU to the win, I expect nothing more than a great last couple of years at OU and this game will be the turning point for him. If we lose, he may have this reputation and albatross he cannot get out from under.

Huepel...Hybl...White...Thompson...Bradford. They all won conference titles at quarterback at OU. Landry has plenty of time, but this is a defense he should be able to exploit. OSU has great offensive weapons, but the defense is average to below average. OL, DL...college football is ALL ABOUT QUARTERBACKS!! Don't think so? Ask folks in Austin what life is like without VY or Colt. Time for Landry to step up and be the man. This is his crossroads at OU...not just a one game judgement.

The entire offense has to play well. It's not just on LJ.

Besides, his legacy only lasts until the next loss. If he has a bad game, the fans will turn on him in a heartbeat.

LJ only needs to worry about playing as well as he can and forget this legacy crap. Play for yourself and your teammates; screw the fans.

Rickety_Syd
11/27/2010, 05:07 PM

Well, OU fans staying home from this is totally understandable. This game is going to go in a very predictable way (no run game, bad passes from a nervous Landry Jones, defense that has no clue how to stop all of OSU's weapons, etc.).
Hopefully by halftime I'll be too drunk to pay much attention to the carnage.

Just my feeling, of course.

3rdgensooner
11/27/2010, 05:13 PM
Well, OU fans staying home from this is totally understandable. This game is going to go in a very predictable way (no run game, bad passes from a nervous Landry Jones, defense that has no clue how to stop all of OSU's weapons, etc.).
I'm going to go ahead and work under the assumption we have a chance.

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2010, 05:25 PM

I like being realistic, but at least optimistic. I mean, dayum.

85sooners
11/27/2010, 05:32 PM
:gary:

The Maestro
11/27/2010, 05:47 PM
The entire offense has to play well. It's not just on LJ.

Besides, his legacy only lasts until the next loss. If he has a bad game, the fans will turn on him in a heartbeat.

LJ only needs to worry about playing as well as he can and forget this legacy crap. Play for yourself and your teammates; screw the fans.

Well, I never said LJ needs to play good for me...but whether you want to accept it or not players care how they are remembered. Ask Marcus Dupree or the kicker at Boise State today. It does matter to them.

Of course the entire offense has to play well...but the right guard blocking someone for five seconds does not require the execution of a QB to throw the ball downfield and avoid hitting defenders with the pass.

Act like it doesn't matter who plays better all you want. Landry has the most pressure. I believe he has all the talent to get it done and the weapons to get it done with. Here's to hoping he gets it done.

The Maestro
11/27/2010, 08:50 PM
I SAID NO BONEHEAD INT'S!!!!

bigfatjerk
11/27/2010, 09:00 PM
Weeden threw one too. He sux.

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 09:02 PM

You should pull yer head out now. It's safe.

CBUS_SOONER
11/27/2010, 09:19 PM
His legacy is that he makes dumb decisions in big games. I got hammered earlier in the yr for saying he is average and I stick by it tonight. We will never win it all with him as our leader. I hope i'm wrong...That's as positive as I can be.

The Maestro
11/27/2010, 09:29 PM
Landry is MVP for both teams right now...just keep doing it for the team in white and we will be alright!

Weeden is very average...

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 09:29 PM
weedeater isn't even average. He's a ****ing bust.

CBUS_SOONER
11/27/2010, 09:31 PM
so far a bust!!! knock on wood

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 09:33 PM
There is a Sun Bowl Trophy in the Switzer Center that Landry was the QB that threw TDs to one of the best damned WRs we've ever seen. Broyles didn't get all those stats because of some mediocre QB. He got them from a kid who is getting better every game.

If Landry stays 4 years and puts an end to the Bowl Losses and the 8-5 Seasons....many of you will be dipping his jock in hot water and drinking his ball sack tea.

CBUS_SOONER
11/27/2010, 09:36 PM
There is a Sun Bowl Trophy in the Switzer Center that Landry was the QB that threw TDs to one of the best damned WRs we've ever seen. Broyles didn't get all those stats because of some mediocre QB. He got them from a kid who is getting better every game.

If Landry stays 4 years and puts an end to the Bowl Losses and the 8-5 Seasons....many of you will be dipping his jock in hot water and drinking his ball sack tea.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hope you r correct....pick #3 TROUP

CBUS_SOONER
11/27/2010, 09:37 PM
This game is over if Landry wasn't so fuking bad

WestLakeHillsSooner
11/27/2010, 09:43 PM
Landry is killing us.

PMKMDJ
11/27/2010, 09:56 PM
Landry's picks are terrible as was his inability to see a gaping hole and deciding to throw the deep ball to Stills rather than jogging 4 yards for the first down.

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2010, 09:58 PM
His legacy is that he makes dumb decisions in big games. I got hammered earlier in the yr for saying he is average and I stick by it tonight. We will never win it all with him as our leader. I hope i'm wrong...That's as positive as I can be.

Hard to disagree with that. What I have noticed, however, is that he is becoming more comfortable relying on his arm strength to force some balls. This results in some "great" throws and a lot of nailbiters. That one to Kenney on the last drive of the 1st half for the big gain was a perfect example. He threaded the needle...and damn near got picked off. Same with the TD pass just over the safety. It can work at the college level, but not at the pro level. Kids who rely on their arms too much generally aren't using their head as much as they should be.

CBUS_SOONER
11/27/2010, 09:59 PM
Landry's picks are terrible as was his inability to see a gaping hole and deciding to throw the deep ball to Stills rather than jogging 4 yards for the first down.

I noticed this also!!!! Amazing. I am sure we will find a way to blow this and the game should be over now

Okie35
11/27/2010, 10:00 PM
Landry is killing us.

To be honest yea he's playing bad but really he's not playing bad enough for us to lose. That last interception was just a really good play I can't lie.

SoonerMarkVA
11/27/2010, 10:05 PM
To be honest yea he's playing bad but really he's not playing bad enough for us to lose. That last interception was just a really good play I can't lie.

Not going to blame Landry for that last INT. The other two, though, were really, really bad.

On the bright side, the D is doing enough for us to win comfortably if Landry can just keep his head on straight. Can someone pump some subliminal music into his helmet that says, "You are confident. You are in Norman, right now. You are on your home field."

silverwheels
11/27/2010, 10:07 PM
That last pick was on Landry. If he had thrown it into the stands, they couldn't have made that play.

Rickety_Syd
11/27/2010, 10:08 PM

Man, I was yelling my head off on that one . . . JUST RUN FOR IT! JUST RUN FOR IT!

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 11:46 PM
Landry says....

SUCK MY LEGACY ! ! !

StoopTroup
11/27/2010, 11:48 PM
I remember how bad I was when i hung half a hundred on the pokes.

Maybe I was dreaming about that.

Maybe some of you are dreaming about how bad he is....

soonercastor
11/27/2010, 11:51 PM
MFER DELIVERED!

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2010, 11:55 PM
Funk the naysayers. That 3rd down throw to Hanna was the nuts.

Rickety_Syd
11/27/2010, 11:56 PM
MFER DELIVERED!

HELLS YA HE DID.
2-0 vs. the PUKES and maybe our SIXTH QB under Stoops to win a Big 12 TITLE!

Okie35
11/27/2010, 11:58 PM
I told ppl to calm down. :D

The Maestro
11/28/2010, 12:03 AM
I said this was a make or break game...and when it was make or break time, Landry made it. Helluva game...and great KW game called...Landry, KW, Cam Kenney and James Hanna were all stars late in the game.

WHO KNEW????

Sooners reign supreme. I didn't pre-judge...just figured. But I was gladly proven wrong. Landry rocks...legacy set. Josh, Jason or Sam didn't throw for 468.

silverwheels
11/28/2010, 12:07 AM
Landry's picks were all terrible, but he made up for it with some clutch throws. The whole team was clutch tonight.

waynepayne
11/28/2010, 12:10 AM
Landry's picks were all terrible, but he made up for it with some clutch throws. The whole team was clutch tonight.

I think this sums it up well. Lord knows Landry made me pull my hair out at times but man did they ever make big plays when they needed to!!

slh1234
Sooners reign supreme. I didn't pre-judge...just figured. But I was gladly proven wrong. Landry rocks...legacy set. Josh, Jason or Sam didn't throw for 468.

Not criticizing Landry, but credit the receivers' YAC especially on those last two touchdowns for a large portion of that 468

cccasooner2
On schedule to go 4 for 4 vs OSU.

sooner59
BOOMER!!!

3rdgensooner
11/28/2010, 02:19 PM
Time to step up to the next level, Landry...sure hope you do.I think he'll be okay.