PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific...

BASSooner
11/27/2010, 12:40 AM
First off, I hope EVERYONE had a GREAT thanksgiving with their family and loved ones!

I know that this is COMPLETELY random but I watched this series over at my house for the week and it is one of the best things I have EVER seen. If you like Band of Brothers, you'll love this. EXACT same type of cinema, the only difference is that it obviously takes place in the Pacific. Makes you want to appreciate the troops and all vets even more. I encourage all to watch it. Especially my generation (age: 23) so we can appreciate the vets for what they did and what they lived through...

Anybody seen it?

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2010, 12:42 AM
First off, I hope EVERYONE had a GREAT thanksgiving with their family and loved ones!

I know that this is COMPLETELY random but I watched this series over at my house for the week and it is one of the best things I have EVER seen. If you like Band of Brothers, you'll love this. EXACT same type of cinema, the only difference is that it obviously takes place in the Pacific. Makes you want to appreciate the troops and all vets even more. I encourage all to watch it. Especially my generation (age: 23) so we can appreciate the vets for what they did and what they lived through...

Anybody seen it?

Actually, if you like Band of Brothers then you're likely to be disappointed by The Pacific.

caseysooner
11/27/2010, 01:04 AM
I saw the first half of it but due to some no notice trip to Afghanistan missed the second half. I really liked the teacher turned marine character

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2010, 01:17 AM
I thought the Pacific was too introspective. I thought the Pacific was a lot more sanitized than Band of Brothers. The PTO was truly a horrific war, and I think the series really failed to show the true horror of the Pacific. I don't think it adequately showed Japanese atrocities either.

ouwasp
11/27/2010, 01:18 AM
I liked TP okay; read two of the books it was based on yrs ago. You ought to read those, especially With The Old Breed by EB Sledge.

BoB was better, imo. A tighter story. And the production seemed more first class.

caseysooner
11/27/2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah you can't beat CPT. Speirs

bluedogok
11/27/2010, 09:22 AM
I bought the Blu-ray when I had to go to Wal-Mart on Turkey Day and picked up some food items we forgot to get before. I guess we will start watching it next week after the football is over after MNF.

jumperstop
11/27/2010, 09:28 AM
Actually, if you like Band of Brothers then you're likely to be disappointed by The Pacific.

This. Pacific was ok but not near the awesomeness that's Band of Brothers. I'll probably never watch The Pacific again but I've seen Band of Brothers probably ten times each and would watch it more.

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2010, 09:29 AM

While I agree with SicEm, I don't think I'd use the word "disappointed". The Pacific didn't develop the characters as well as BOB, even though it did spend a great deal of time trying. Perhaps that is the difference. BOB just drew you in and you got to know the troops, The Pacific seemed to try too hard to force the same result.

Otherwise, an excellent watch.

By the way, BOB is on sale at Best Buy for under $50.00. An tremendous add to your collection.