PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving meal table topics

ouwasp
11/25/2010, 12:39 PM
The holidays can be volatile for some can't they? My family is small, and we see each other constantly. But even so, there are a few things that come up that can cause furor 'round the table. My in-laws, there's so many people we can kinda melt in until we (I :O ) can make a get-away...

So, let's have some suggestions for safe topics for dinner time discussions...

Breadburner
11/25/2010, 12:41 PM
Like Butt secks between mom and dad is always awkward.....

ouwasp
11/25/2010, 12:46 PM
heh......in some alternate universe this might just get mentioned...

tommieharris91
11/25/2010, 12:47 PM
TSA patdowns, stimulus, bailouts, QE2, health care, etc. Basically, just take your topics from the various SO political threads.

ouwasp
11/25/2010, 12:52 PM
well, I'm off to another Thanksgiving... already looking fwd to the look on Dad's face when my bro, son, and i talk about the zombie series "The Walking Dead"...

:)

StoopTroup
11/25/2010, 01:03 PM
Remember...the gizzard is a delicacy and make everyone at the table eat some. :D

The Gravel Sack is teh awesome!

C7Hhimz6aYw

SanJoaquinSooner
11/25/2010, 01:17 PM
Don't you hate when the illegals in the family are four hours late for the big dinner because they had to work on Thanksgiving Day?

sooner59
11/25/2010, 01:21 PM
Its their fault for not having more cush jobs. :D

sooner59
11/25/2010, 01:24 PM
Our topics usually are directed toward the younger folks. What have you been up to? How much longer do you have in school? What are your plans after school? This is really good stuffing.... Is the cowboys game on yet? You going shopping in the morning? Texas really sucks.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 01:47 PM
Don't you hate when the illegals in the family are four hours late for the big dinner because they had to work on Thanksgiving Day?

Yall pick lettuce this late in the year ?

StoopTroup
11/25/2010, 01:52 PM

I think it's cool to hear they are working. Maybe after dinner you can show them all how to file their taxes.

usaosooner
11/25/2010, 03:37 PM
can't discuss politics with my family, we stick to sports

ouwasp
11/25/2010, 03:58 PM
all went well... prolly the most contentious moment was when a dispute over the quality of a Mark Twain writing came up :rolleyes: , but otherwise just a lot of innocuous table banter.

Now let's see... Christmas is one month from today... hmm... hopefully my 48 yr old bro won't bring his 22 yr old gf next month (he didn't today).. that would be a whole 'nother can of worms. But then it might prove interesting...:cool:

usaosooner
11/25/2010, 04:17 PM
^pics of brothers girlfriend?

ouwasp
11/25/2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry, man... he just showed me pics of her today, on his cell. She's too young and pretty for him, that's for sure...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/25/2010, 07:18 PM
Yall pick lettuce this late in the year ?

Someone's gotta baste the turkeys at the buffet restaurants.

How many times do I have to tell you we don't do lettuce in the San Joaquin Valley. That's over in the Salinas Valley?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/25/2010, 07:20 PM
I think it's cool to hear they are working. Maybe after dinner you can show them all how to file their taxes.

Of course they file. How else are they going to get their refund?

AlbqSooner
11/26/2010, 07:12 AM
Of course they file. How else are they going to get your refund?

FIFY. ;)

Breadburner
11/26/2010, 09:10 AM
Our big discussion was where my nephew was going to commit (football)...No telling how many times he has been asked where he was going to go......Well he had a high-school t-shirt on then at some point changed it and came back in the room with-out saying word with an Air-Force Academy shirt on....hah....I could not be more proud of the kid.....

texaspokieokie
11/26/2010, 09:17 AM
Someone's gotta baste the turkeys at the buffet restaurants.

How many times do I have to tell you we don't do lettuce in the San Joaquin Valley. That's over in the Salinas Valley?

who hasn't seen "east of eden" ???

SanJoaquinSooner
11/26/2010, 11:14 AM
who hasn't seen "east of eden" ???

Steinbeck was from Salinas, so it makes sense that the setting for some of his novels would be there.

When driving south from San Francisco, most people take either the unscenic I-5 route for speed or the scenic coastal Highway 1 along for beautiful views of the Pacific ocean coastline.

But between those two highways is Highway 101. It bisects the Salinas Valley which is set between two modest mountain ranges. This valley is as flat as southcentral Kansas and dark green from the broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc., grown there. It looks like the green felt on God's pool table. ... one of the coolest images ever and can make one understand why the Salinas Valley is called the Salad Bowl of the World.

proud gonzo
11/26/2010, 11:34 PM
Had my first thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws. I don't remember what we talked about, but it wasn't a very long dinner. As soon as it was over, my sister-in-law talked about work a lot (she's a special ed teacher, trying to finish up her masters) and then i mostly entertained my 18 month old nephew--GREAT conversation.
Dinner with MY family (minus GHP, who's w/ his girlfriend in OK) is Saturday, before the OSU game