*Chaminade ;)

GDC
11/24/2010, 08:47 PM
This team, and coach, are pathetic.

StoopTroup
11/24/2010, 08:56 PM

Eielson
11/24/2010, 09:46 PM
I still think Capel is a pretty good coach, but he's had some unfortunate circumstances, and it may be best for him and the university to part ways.

badger
11/24/2010, 11:54 PM
It's only November... it's only 2010 for cripe's sake. Can we at least wait till 2011 before starting these threads? Hell, even Va Tech bounced back from losing to James Madison in football.

OUstud
11/25/2010, 12:02 AM
It's only November... it's only 2010 for cripe's sake. Can we at least wait till 2011 before starting these threads? Hell, even Va Tech bounced back from losing to James Madison in football.

VT did well last year. And we're now 32-36 without Blake Griffin. As far as I can tell, Capel doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground without BG out there. Look at all of his recruiting flameouts/busts too, if you're going to defend that aspect of his regime. We need a fresh start.

badger
11/25/2010, 12:24 AM
Fair enough, but doubt Joe C will fire a coach midseason without something really earth shattering (i.e. NCAA major infraction)

OUstud
11/25/2010, 12:30 AM
I agree. If it happens it'll be at the end of the season, but I really think it needs to happen, for both parties' interests.

StoopTroup
11/25/2010, 01:48 PM

agoo758
11/25/2010, 04:00 PM
Chamanade? Really?

Did stoop troup just start a "fire" thread?:eek: :eek: Well, I guess considering what happened, maybe its not THAT suprising.

soonervegas
11/25/2010, 04:41 PM
Patillo....and Warren....Mason-Griffin and Gallon.....and Chaminade. Each of these is a finger. When StoopTroup closes his hand it becomes a fist. And if, he wishes, He can turn it against Capel.

stoopified
11/25/2010, 06:56 PM
It's only November... it's only 2010 for cripe's sake. Can we at least wait till 2011 before starting these threads? Hell, even Va Tech bounced back from losing to James Madison in football.Rationality?Really? What are you thinking?

StoopTroup
11/25/2010, 07:29 PM

caseysooner
11/25/2010, 08:47 PM
Boom

pappy
11/25/2010, 09:32 PM
Oh come on guys...He doesn't need to fired. Be thankful we have him. Remember the John Blake years? Definitely better than that right?

oops wrong sport. ;)

StoopTroup
11/25/2010, 09:37 PM

SoonerMarkVA
11/25/2010, 09:41 PM
I personally would like to see Capel get at least this year and, if he can show he's going to put together a solid recruiting class, next year as well. I have to cut the guy some slack for pulling in 3 MCD AAs that turned out to be complete turds. What are the odds of that?

However, if this year goes as expected, and his recruiting prospects look grim, then I don't see any reason to believe he's going to get things rolling after that. IOW, if he hasn't bottomed out, right now, I don't really want to see how low he can dig the hole. In that scenario, I say turn him loose at the end of the year.

Crimsontothecore
11/25/2010, 10:04 PM
I personally would like to see Capel get at least this year and, if he can show he's going to put together a solid recruiting class, next year as well. I have to cut the guy some slack for pulling in 3 MCD AAs that turned out to be complete turds. What are the odds of that?

However, if this year goes as expected, and his recruiting prospects look grim, then I don't see any reason to believe he's going to get things rolling after that. IOW, if he hasn't bottomed out, right now, I don't really want to see how low he can dig the hole. In that scenario, I say turn him loose at the end of the year.

If you don't know how to handle blue chippers, the odds are pretty good.

SoonerMarkVA
11/25/2010, 10:33 PM
If you don't know how to handle blue chippers, the odds are pretty good.

Don't think there's enough to conclude that yet. The 3 in question really look to be low-character guys. I think the better argument would be that he he wasn't able to properly assess their character.

Crimsontothecore
11/26/2010, 09:15 AM
Don't think there's enough to conclude that yet. The 3 in question really look to be low-character guys. I think the better argument would be that he he wasn't able to properly assess their character.

And for that you would cut him some slack? Character evaluation is part of being a head coach, especially in basketball where one bad apple can spoil the barrel. Missing on one guy is forgivable but missing on three can devastate a program, as we are seeing. In reality, his coaching blunders have hurt this program worse than Sampson's excessive calls did. Whether you love him or hate him, Sampson wouldn't have lost to Chaminade with these same players.

okienole3
11/26/2010, 10:13 AM
If not for Blake Griffin, where would OU Basketball be today? Capel's only success was with one of the best college basketball players in the last 20 years, who happened to be handed to him on a silver platter.

stoopified
11/27/2010, 02:51 PM
VT did well last year. And we're now 32-36 without Blake Griffin. As far as I can tell, Capel doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground without BG out there. Look at all of his recruiting flameouts/busts too, if you're going to defend that aspect of his regime. We need a fresh start.Billy Tubbs was 84-43after 4 years at OU,during that span he was 31-29 without Tisdale.This arguement is EPIC FAILURE.

If you do fire Capel what coach worth a damn could we hire? Nobody that is who.Ou has to hire an assistant who wants an HC gig or a young NC from a midmajor.Capel knows what he is doing.give him time to turn it around.By the end of next season OU will be back in the DANCE if Capel is the coach I and most netral observers believe.

I don't like losing to Chaminade either but it ain't like we are the only D-1 team to lose to them.At best we ALL knew going to Maui the BEST we were going to do is 1-2.Have some faith and some patience.

stoopified
11/27/2010, 03:11 PM
As for recruiting flameouts,busts,try these names on for size under Tubbs,Sampson;Kroll,Cade,Evans,Combs, Roberts,Seager(no not Seiger),Gibson, Parks,Moore,Cotton,Humphrey,Alexander.I could come with more with a little searching,apparently all anyone recalls is what was good under Tubbs,Sampson, apparentlt nobody recalls the negative. As I said in my earlerpost there is no coach out there worth a damn who will take the job if Jeff us given the bum's rush.I am certain that Jeff has at the VERY least,through the end of next season to turn things around. That IMHO is as it should be.

Romulus
11/27/2010, 03:24 PM
OU and Billy Gillespie are destined for each other. They are the best either could do and both need each other equally.

soonervegas
11/27/2010, 04:00 PM
Billy Tubbs was 84-43after 4 years at OU,during that span he was 31-29 without Tisdale.This arguement is EPIC FAILURE.

If you do fire Capel what coach worth a damn could we hire? Nobody that is who.Ou has to hire an assistant who wants an HC gig or a young NC from a midmajor.Capel knows what he is doing.give him time to turn it around.By the end of next season OU will be back in the DANCE if Capel is the coach I and most netral observers believe.

I don't like losing to Chaminade either but it ain't like we are the only D-1 team to lose to them.At best we ALL knew going to Maui the BEST we were going to do is 1-2.Have some faith and some patience.

I think it would be a better comparision to measure post Tisdale versus post Griffin:

Tubbs record the two year after Tisdale left: 50-19 (with 3 NCAA tourney wins). Capel so far post Griffin 16-21 and sinking.

northspeter
11/27/2010, 05:34 PM
OU and Billy Gillespie are destined for each other. They are the best either could do and both need each other equally.

OU wouldn't touch him with someone elses 10 foot pole... that'd be almost like hiring sean sutton...

Romulus
11/27/2010, 06:38 PM
He's the best coach that would come to OU

Adrian
11/27/2010, 09:12 PM
He's the best coach that would come to OU

Our hoops team would be tough again...

SoonerGrant
11/28/2010, 12:57 AM
I think Capel is just waiting to be picked up by someone back East. He doesn't give a hoot about OU Basketball.

nativesooner
11/29/2010, 05:27 PM
BRING BACK CALVIN SIMPSON!!! :D You guys realize that no big name coaches are coming to Norman right? Fire Capel for who? Brad Stevens?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/quotes/2010/04/0406_butler.jpg

Eielson
11/29/2010, 05:49 PM
Wow. If we got rid of Capel, I don't see that hiring another young coach is the right answer.

OUmillenium
12/1/2010, 01:36 PM
I'll take the job, just let me know when its open

SoonerGrant
12/2/2010, 01:30 AM
I'll take the job, just let me know when its open

3-10-2011.

Shakadoodoo
12/2/2010, 01:42 AM
I am not sure if it is a new coach they need but need something!

nativesooner
12/2/2010, 01:48 AM
The only "experienced" head coach available is this guy...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/files/2010/03/bobby-knight.jpg

StoopTroup
12/2/2010, 01:49 AM

tommieharris91
12/2/2010, 02:22 AM
Ditka.

LiveLaughLove
12/7/2010, 11:30 PM
As for recruiting flameouts,busts,try these names on for size under Tubbs,Sampson;Kroll,Cade,Evans,Combs, Roberts,Seager(no not Seiger),Gibson, Parks,Moore,Cotton,Humphrey,Alexander.I could come with more with a little searching,apparently all anyone recalls is what was good under Tubbs,Sampson, apparentlt nobody recalls the negative. As I said in my earlerpost there is no coach out there worth a damn who will take the job if Jeff us given the bum's rush.I am certain that Jeff has at the VERY least,through the end of next season to turn things around. That IMHO is as it should be.

The thing is Sampson's teams still competed on a high level even with the defections.

His style of play was ugly and boring at times, but it kept his lesser talent in games with the superior talent's.

Hard nosed unselfish defensive ball keeps you in games.

Capel has been recruiting prima dona's that don't play well with others. That's his fault and lack of character evaluation.

His style of play is what exactly? Hard nosed D? Fast break full court pressing? Coach K's fast break spread?

I really don't know. He should be demanding defense from these guys and tough rebounding. They aren't talented enough to run and gun or whatever it is they are doing these days.

I agree that we probably can't get much better of a HC right now, but this debacle has got to end soon. I hope he rights the ship. I don't see it and haven't for a long time.

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 11:45 PM
At least Capel is honest and didn't cause OU all kinds of problems due to breaking the rules like Sampson and then Sampson went to Indiana and did the same thing. Cannot get over the love affair with Sampson when we usually went out in the first round of the NCAA. You would have thought the way some on here talk that we won a lot of National Championships under him.

pappy
12/8/2010, 12:25 AM
BRING BACK CALVIN SIMPSON!!! :D You guys realize that no big name coaches are coming to Norman right? Fire Capel for who? Brad Stevens?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/quotes/2010/04/0406_butler.jpg

Zero chance Brad Stevens comes here.

John Kochtoston
12/8/2010, 02:26 AM
At least Capel is honest and didn't cause OU all kinds of problems due to breaking the rules like Sampson and then Sampson went to Indiana and did the same thing. Cannot get over the love affair with Sampson when we usually went out in the first round of the NCAA. You would have thought the way some on here talk that we won a lot of National Championships under him.

Given that his one of the three best hoops coaches in OU history, it's understandable.

LiveLaughLove
12/8/2010, 10:06 AM

I'm no fan of sampsons and don't condone what he did. I was ready for him to go.

My point is his teams were always competitive, regardless of talent. He coached them and adapted. I don't see that happening now.

With Blake it was easy. Maybe too easy. Without him, not so much.

The biggest mistake Capel has made is recruiting low character prima Dona types though. His evaluation system in that regard needs a serious upgrade. It's killed our program.

Red Ada
12/9/2010, 05:10 PM
HEY! Lets hear it for CAPEL. Great coach wonderful talent and a
great style of play. If we can keep his mule's for 4 more years
they will be mules with experience. But just better mules. A mule
has never won the Kentucky Derby. And never will. Just Thoroughbreds.
There is no reason for him to chew them out for turnovers and mistakes.
They can not help it. They do not have the talent. He got what he recruited.
MULES ! You do not punish a mule for being a mule. If you want something
different you have to recruit something different. They give good effort
they just can not play at this level. Another year of maturity and they
will still be mules, just year older.
I have learn to except it and cheer the players for thier effort. But I do not cheer
Capel.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2010, 05:42 PM
^^^Stupid post.

badger
12/9/2010, 05:58 PM
So you say that you will cheer "the players."

Is this before, after, or during you repeatedly call them "mules," "mules with experience," "MULES!" or "mules, just a year older?"

Red Ada
12/9/2010, 07:43 PM
Not meant as an insult. I was a mule, a walk on not talented enough
to play at that level. I practiced and work hard every day but I was
still a mule (not much talent) As a reward for my hard work the
coach let me play in the last 2 minutes if we were ahead by 20 or
more. The starter could come out to a standing ovation and not risk
injury in the last 2 minutes of a game already won.
I think today the players use the word scrubs. Which to me sounds
more distastful than the word old word mule. Little Sampson played the same
role he did not get angry, he new what part he played.

badger
12/10/2010, 07:05 PM
To Capel's credit, Kellen Sampson was able to stay with the program even after his dad left... but if Capel was fired, would his successor offer the same courtesy to some of our current workhorse (or "mules" as red said) players who will gut out this season for better or for worse?

birddog
12/10/2010, 09:08 PM
Ditka.

it's possible joe has something in the coffers for two mini ditkas!

badger
12/11/2010, 10:20 AM
read this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10209)

"If I had the chance to recruit Tommy Mason-Griffin again, I'd recruit him. If I had the chance to recruit Tiny Gallon again, I'd recruit him. And Willie Warren. There was nothing when we recruited any of those guys that led us to believe they were bad."

yankee
12/11/2010, 12:48 PM
i don't like how willie is just thrown in with tiny and TMG as one of the bad guys...sure he disappointed last season, and he wasn't a very good leader...and it was frustrating to watch him play at many different times...but i don't put him in the same company as TMG and Tiny, IMO.

Eielson
12/11/2010, 05:30 PM
read this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10209)

From my experience with coaches, what they say and what they truly think are generally two separate things. This only becomes more true when speaking in front of an audience. He may well think that those three kids may have lost him his job at OU, but do you think it would do him any favors to say that? No. You can't talk bad about the people you've worked with, especially if you're the one who brought them in. It looks bad.

Vegas Sooner
12/11/2010, 07:13 PM
Done with people that never showed up at the games. Done with all of the whiners. Student section was hardly full (for those who attended the school). OU is a program! We won a National Championship in Football and went to the Final Four when I was a student. I had season tickets.... and went! Where were you cry babys then??? Sampson was amazing without McDonald's All Americans. ,,,and his name is KelVIN

nativesooner
12/13/2010, 12:11 PM
Zero chance Brad Stevens comes here.

Zero chance we get ANYONE worth a damn.. old or young.... I guess we can always beg Terry Evans to come over and pay him 1.5 mil a year? He can always go back to the Broncs when he doesn't win 25 games/year as expected?

87sooner
12/14/2010, 12:39 PM
Zero chance we get ANYONE worth a damn.. old or young.... I guess we can always beg Terry Evans to come over and pay him 1.5 mil a year? He can always go back to the Broncs when he doesn't win 25 games/year as expected?

wrong....
we would have no trouble getting a competent coach to replace capel...
we have resources.....we have a winning tradition...we have facilities...
we were not long ago a fixture at the top of a good conference...
your memory is short and your analysis is dead wrong...
fire capel and move on....he doesn't have a clue what he is doing....he's john blake on hardwood....
get gregg marshall from wichita st. before someone else gets him..

...sooner
12/14/2010, 03:31 PM
i don't like how willie is just thrown in with tiny and TMG as one of the bad guys...sure he disappointed last season, and he wasn't a very good leader...and it was frustrating to watch him play at many different times...but i don't put him in the same company as TMG and Tiny, IMO.

one issue i had with willie is he said it was "his team" last year & instead of stepping up & trying to become a leader or whatever he just pouted & had beef with tmg... really i think willie is a nice guy & im glad to see him doing well with the clippers but that just really bothered me.

SoonerGrant
12/19/2010, 12:02 AM
FIRE CAPEL!!!

bigfatjerk
12/19/2010, 12:11 AM
I don't really care for a big name coach. There has to be a better coach than this. We basically have no system.

101sooner
12/19/2010, 12:40 AM
I take it we're not real good.

SoonerGrant
12/19/2010, 02:33 AM
I take it we're not good.

Fixed.

Blue
12/19/2010, 03:14 AM
I take it we suck horse caulk and donkey balls

Fixed again.

SoonerGrant
12/19/2010, 04:16 AM
Capel said when he recruited Blake Griffen, they talked about his character and how it will change the culture of OU basketball.

Excuse my langue, but B**** you didn't recruit S***!!

87sooner
12/19/2010, 09:00 AM
Capel said when he recruited Blake Griffen, they talked about his character and how it will change the culture of OU basketball.

Excuse my langue, but B**** you didn't recruit S***!!

capel has definitely changed the culture of ou basketball...

we used to be a "power" program....
we now have a "third world" basketball program that everyone feels sorry for....

OUNASH
12/19/2010, 10:53 AM
Time for you to go Coach Crapel....This is the worst team since Billy Tubbs took over in the eraly 80's.

highjumper
12/19/2010, 11:20 AM
Who would you try and hire?

bigfatjerk
12/19/2010, 11:21 AM

I think that's the argument people were using to defend John Blake 12 years ago.

I've got no idea who is out there, and none of us know how Joe C goes through it so there's no way we can suggest anyone.

OUNASH
12/19/2010, 11:49 AM
Could not be much worse than what we have now. Its time to take a gamble and give an up and coming assistant or a succesful mid major coach a try.

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2010, 12:00 PM
Could not be much worse than what we have now. Its time to take a gamble and give an up and coming assistant or a successful mid major coach a try.

yup...

87sooner
12/19/2010, 07:18 PM

gregg marshall

birddog
12/19/2010, 09:07 PM
the other guy from vcu

StoopTroup
12/26/2010, 05:32 PM

yankee
12/26/2010, 05:55 PM
Could not be much worse than what we have now. Its time to take a gamble and give an up and coming assistant or a succesful mid major coach a try.

Like Capel was, huh? Fantastic idea, if you really want Capel fired.

OUNASH
12/26/2010, 09:33 PM
Like I said, couldnt be much worse than what we have now. At least we would have some new blood and who knows what they could bring to the table. Joe C hasnt missed on very many hires and I doubt he makes the same mistake twice.

highjumper
12/27/2010, 02:38 PM
Joe Holladay

mgsooner
12/27/2010, 04:23 PM
Jim Harrick's available.

Eielson
12/27/2010, 05:41 PM
http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/people/k/knight_bob/knight-chair.jpg

StoopTroup
1/8/2011, 11:21 PM

Blue
1/8/2011, 11:46 PM
It just sucks how bad these guys are. 1 more season like this and he's gone. I used to enjoy going out of my way to find the game somewhere and watch it. Now I could care less.

Call me bandwagon, call me a lesser fan, but I've never seen a worse OU team in my 30 years.

oumartin
1/9/2011, 12:10 AM
throw a couple mil at that Butler coach

yankee
1/9/2011, 02:15 AM
I don't want him fired....I want him to win the Big XII Tourney and get us a decent spot in the NCAA March Madness every year. if he can't do that....he needs to be replaced.

Anything less than a March Madness bid next year, and I will be firmly off the Capel bandwagon. I believe in him, I like him, and I truly hope he succeeds. This season is gonna suck though.

OUNASH
1/9/2011, 09:01 PM
He's had plenty of time to prove himself. Last year was horrible and this year is looking worse. I doubt we win 1-2 more games the rest of the year. We looked like Crapel.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2011, 12:51 AM

Agree.

Or a lot of money at Mike Anderson.

NormanPride
1/10/2011, 12:07 PM
I think we should hire an AAU coach like KSU did. Joe C likes to save money, and if we miss, who cares? Not like we're good right now anyway.

KBoomer11
1/10/2011, 12:13 PM
Capel took a perennial top 25 team to a cellar dwellar in the Big 12. Everywhere else he would have been fired already. Time to let him go.

OUMallen
1/10/2011, 12:25 PM

I think they gave him a pretty big extension and contract. I'd LIKE to think we could outdo that, but who knows.

OUMallen
1/10/2011, 12:30 PM
INDIANAPOLIS - Brad Stevens is content to keep coaching the Butler way.

The 33-year-old coach, who came within a buzzer-beating shot of winning the NCAA men’s basketball championship, signed a 12-year deal Thursday that extends through the 2021-22 season.

Team spokesman Jim McGrath declined to say how much the deal was worth, though Stevens had a total compensation package of $750,000 last season. Athletic director Barry Collier acknowledged Tuesday that Stevens was in line for a pay raise.

nativesooner
1/10/2011, 01:06 PM
wrong....
we would have no trouble getting a competent coach to replace capel...
we have resources.....we have a winning tradition...we have facilities...
we were not long ago a fixture at the top of a good conference...
your memory is short and your analysis is dead wrong...

uh huh, that's what we heard when Sampson was shown the door.... You were probably one of the ones saying we were in on Calipari, Turgeon, Pitino yet look who we got. I guess those guys wanted to come here but we took Capel to save a little $$? NO big time coach will want to come here to a stadium of 2000 people more worried about how many stars a Jr High WR from Podunk Arkansas has.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2011, 01:39 PM
Anything less than a March Madness bid next year, and I will be firmly off the Capel bandwagon. I believe in him, I like him, and I truly hope he succeeds. This season is gonna suck though.

So why wait until next year?

The guy is a terrible coach!

badger
1/10/2011, 03:35 PM
Next year, let's schedule Colorado as our first conference game so that for at least one game, we'll be #1 in the conference, ahead of half the teams, tied with half the teams.

Oh wait... :(

87sooner
1/10/2011, 06:23 PM
uh huh, that's what we heard when Sampson was shown the door.... You were probably one of the ones saying we were in on Calipari, Turgeon, Pitino yet look who we got. I guess those guys wanted to come here but we took Capel to save a little $$? NO big time coach will want to come here to a stadium of 2000 people more worried about how many stars a Jr High WR from Podunk Arkansas has.

wanted no part of turgeon.....and never thought calipari or pitino were options.....so what do you think now?

and i never suggested we'd attract a "big time coach"....
i'm pretty sure i suggested gregg marshall somewhere in this thread....
oh wait....there it is...at the end of my post you quoted...except you deleted that part...

badger
1/10/2011, 06:50 PM
I really think there's a chance of basketball being a bigger draw someday. But, as it is right now, the LNC isn't the most fun venue to attend events at. When I go back to my alma mater, I like to walk around campus and reminisce a little, you know? You get that with Owen Field. You don't get that with the LNC. I realize it's probably too late to make the Fieldhouse our primary bball arena after everything that's been invested into LNC...

Crazy thought: If we're averaging 2,000 fans per night anyway, why not just have some games at McCasland?

SoonerGrant
1/11/2011, 10:42 PM
Who's the Norman High coach this now a days...we could try that route. Hey, it worked once :P

nativesooner
1/12/2011, 02:33 AM
wanted no part of turgeon.....and never thought calipari or pitino were options.....so what do you think now?

and i never suggested we'd attract a "big time coach"....
i'm pretty sure i suggested gregg marshall somewhere in this thread....
oh wait....there it is...at the end of my post you quoted...except you deleted that part...

Oh wait... I see!! So what you (with your infinite wisdom) are suggesting is that we hire a successful mid major coach and he'll turn things right around right? Wait, THAT'S WHAT CAPEL WAS!!! Perhaps you should apply? I mean, you've obviously watched some basketball and feel that even you are more competent than Jeff. Then I can whine about you from my overpriced empty section.

87sooner
1/12/2011, 10:33 AM
Oh wait... I see!! So what you (with your infinite wisdom) are suggesting is that we hire a successful mid major coach and he'll turn things right around right? Wait, THAT'S WHAT CAPEL WAS!!!

capel "appeared" to fall into that category....
but unfortunately....didn't realize capel's success was due to his assistant....anthony grant....
grant took capel's players and did BETTER....
then he went to uab and is doing well there....
otoh....capel came here....had the best player in the country fall into his lap...and capel rode him to a big fat contract while demolishing our program....
capel doesn't have a clue how to coach....recruit....retain players......or build a long term successful program...

Perhaps you should apply? I mean, you've obviously watched some basketball and feel that even you are more competent than Jeff. Then I can whine about you from my overpriced empty section.

the message board staple.....a poster bereft of ideas/intelligence/knowledge.....resorts to the immature "you should apply" defense.....
stay all warm and fuzzy in your state of ignorance and bliss.....

87sooner
1/12/2011, 10:36 AM
here is a blurb written by jason whitlock before our elite 8 run a couple years ago...for your reading pleasure...

"If you're looking for a tournament fraud, take a gander at the 27-4 Oklahoma Sooners.

Oh, they're talented. Blake Griffin is the nation's best player. Shooting guard Willie Warren is the nation's most talented freshman scorer. I love Tony Crocker and Austin Johnson's experience and athleticism. Taylor Griffin is a nice role player.

Jeff Capel simply cannot coach. That Coach K tree produces some rotten fruit.

Oklahoma does not have an offense. The Sooners do nothing to free Griffin in the low post. He gets his points off talent and nothing else. Capel's offense does not require Warren to move without the basketball. Warren is a compact version of Glenn Robinson. We can only hope Warren doesn't waste his skills like a Big Dog.

A second-round foe with a good coach and two shooters will send the Sooners home early. "

OUthunder
1/12/2011, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that my old HS team could beat OU this year. Capel needs to go bye-bye next year if this continues, if not at seasons end this year.

87sooner
1/12/2011, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that my old HS team could beat OU this year. Capel needs to go bye-bye next year if this continues, if not at seasons end this year.

he needs to go after THIS year.....
there is a ZERO % CHANCE he will turn it around...
he simply cannot coach...
expect more player defections after the season....
and more excuses....
it's time to cut our losses....
get a new coach to try to turn things around...no reason to wait another year....

nativesooner
1/12/2011, 11:17 AM
Whitlock also said that Oklahoma was a hillbilly state that didn't allow black people and had no diversity whatsoever. If you're looking to back up your "highly intellectual" statements, you might chose someone else. I'm not saying Jeff is the 2nd coming of John Wooden, and maybe he does suck as a coach, but guess what, THAT'S WHO WE GOT!!! Wave some $$ in front of the Shockers coach, he won't come to a football school. We couldn't even get their baseball coach a few years ago, a former SOONER! I'm serious about "maybe you should apply", it's not a joke, or a defense. You obviously think you can do a better job so why not? Quit your day job and give it a shot. You can't do any worse than Jeff! Whoever is coaching, I'll continue to go to the games along with the 20 other people on the upper east while others get on here to complain about the attendance, coaching, security, poms etc etc..

nativesooner
1/12/2011, 11:19 AM
Crazy thought: If we're averaging 2,000 fans per night anyway, why not just have some games at McCasland?

That would probably pack the house IF Coach Stoops was one of the doormen. :)

nativesooner
1/12/2011, 11:22 AM
I think we should hire an AAU coach like KSU did. Joe C likes to save money, and if we miss, who cares? Not like we're good right now anyway.

Are there any other former AAU coaches having the same kind of success as Martin? If so, heck we might as well give it a shot! :D

87sooner
1/12/2011, 12:08 PM
Whitlock also said that Oklahoma was a hillbilly state that didn't allow black people and had no diversity whatsoever. If you're looking to back up your "highly intellectual" statements, you might chose someone else. I'm not saying Jeff is the 2nd coming of John Wooden, and maybe he does suck as a coach, but guess what, THAT'S WHO WE GOT!!!

that's who we got? that's your argument?
he has no clue how to coach.....
he will be gone.....the only question is when....

Wave some $$ in front of the Shockers coach, he won't come to a football school. We couldn't even get their baseball coach a few years ago, a former SOONER!

the wichita st. coach won't come to ou because it's a football school?
so what do you call texas a&m?
they hired turgeon from wichita st.
but you don't think we could do it?
you're digging yourself deeper.....

I'm serious about "maybe you should apply", it's not a joke, or a defense. You obviously think you can do a better job so why not? Quit your day job and give it a shot. You can't do any worse than Jeff! Whoever is coaching, I'll continue to go to the games along with the 20 other people on the upper east while others get on here to complain about the attendance, coaching, security, poms etc etc..

no....you're just being an ***hole....

Salt City Sooner
1/12/2011, 02:43 PM
capel "appeared" to fall into that category....
but unfortunately....didn't realize capel's success was due to his assistant....anthony grant....
grant took capel's players and did BETTER....
then he went to uab and is doing well there....
otoh....capel came here....had the best player in the country fall into his lap...and capel rode him to a big fat contract while demolishing our program....
capel doesn't have a clue how to coach....recruit....retain players......or build a long term successful program...

the message board staple.....a poster bereft of ideas/intelligence/knowledge.....resorts to the immature "you should apply" defense.....
stay all warm and fuzzy in your state of ignorance and bliss.....

1. Grant was never a Capel assistant. VCU hired him from UF when Capel came to Norman.

2. AG is the head coach at Bama, not UAB.

nativesooner
1/12/2011, 04:55 PM
1. Grant was never a Capel assistant. VCU hired him from UF when Capel came to Norman.

2. AG is the head coach at Bama, not UAB.

Watch it Salt... he/she might call you an a-hole and say Alabama is what they meant by saying UAB... University of Ala-Bama! ;)

that's who we got? that's your argument?
he has no clue how to coach.....he will be gone.....the only question is when.....

Yes, that's part of my argument.... it IS who we have! Not saying I'm pleased with what's happening, but I'll support OU none the less! What do you suggest, fire everyone now and let Cade Davis coach the team? Whine all you want, Capel will be here until at least the end of the season. I'll be at the games while you're sitting here on the boards telling folks that Sampson's violations were really worth it because we made the tourney most of the time.

the wichita st. coach won't come to ou because it's a football school? so what do you call texas a&m? they hired turgeon from wichita st. but you don't think we could do it? you're digging yourself deeper.....

Not quite... lets see, recruit Houston and southeast Texas, or recruit Oklahoma City? Hmmmm.... Which one will have more athletes to chose from? And don't even cry Blake Griffin because that doesn't happen often.

no....you're just being an ***hole....

Not really, just speaking the truth... If I were being an a-hole, I would have called you one long ago!

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2011, 01:05 PM
here is a blurb written by jason whitlock before our elite 8 run a couple years ago...for your reading pleasure...

Before you and Native continue to get your panties in a bunch...what is wrong with hiring mid major coaches?

Kelvin Sampson was from Eastern Washington...he turned out to be a very good coach, just didnt know how to stay off the telephone.

bigfatjerk
1/13/2011, 02:46 PM
Before you and Native continue to get your panties in a bunch...what is wrong with hiring mid major coaches?

Kelvin Sampson was from Eastern Washington...he turned out to be a very good coach, just didnt know how to stay off the telephone.

He was at Washington State. Billy Tubbs was at Lamar before OU he is a better example.

oumartin
1/13/2011, 03:14 PM
I will pitch in for a pair of louboutin heels for sherri if she will coach the mens team. They will still suck but I would go to see her and it would be history

nativesooner
1/13/2011, 04:00 PM
I will pitch in for a pair of louboutin heels for sherri if she will coach the mens team. They will still suck but I would go to see her and it would be history

ok with me! This...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/549693/medium.jpg

Looks much better than this... :D
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0403/ncb_g_capel1_sw_200.jpg

Eielson
1/13/2011, 04:49 PM
I talked to Castiglione today, and he says if we can get this thread to 10 pages then he'll think about firing Capel.

NormanPride
1/13/2011, 04:53 PM
Doing my part.

Sooner1979
1/15/2011, 01:41 PM
To all you Kelvin Sampson fans who believe we are who we are because of him are so full of excrement! KS is the reason we are doing as poorly as we are. OU Basketball was awful before Tubbs came, but he instituted the Run & Gun style offense and we made a name for our once pathetic basketball team, but then Kelvin "pass it 40 times" Sampson in and all our teams could do was play defense and had no desire playing offense. This absolutely stripped our school of its newly created identity. We need to get back to our roots.

bigfatjerk
1/15/2011, 01:56 PM
To all you Kelvin Sampson fans who believe we are who we are because of him are so full of excrement! KS is the reason we are doing as poorly as we are. OU Basketball was awful before Tubbs came, but he instituted the Run & Gun style offense and we made a name for our once pathetic basketball team, but then Kelvin "pass it 40 times" Sampson in and all our teams could do was play defense and had no desire playing offense. This absolutely stripped our school of its newly created identity. We need to get back to our roots.

Kelvin is why Capel sucks at recruiting? I don't get it?

Ton Loc
1/15/2011, 04:11 PM

I hated Sampson and those Big 12 Tournament Titles, Final Fours, Sweet 16's, and consecutive trips to the tournament.

Yep, that killed OU basketball. Damn you KS! Damn You!!!!!!!!!!!:D

bigfatjerk
1/15/2011, 04:36 PM
I guess Kelvin Sampson and Billy Tubbs gave us too high expectations. Capel's doing about what you would expect at a program like OU according to what some of these people think.

Look I like Capel, he seems like a good dude, but look at the system or lack there of that we run on offense alone. You can pretty much say the same thing about John Blake 13 years ago except as we have come to find John Blake was really a jerk. But let's look in depth at our offense, we stand around hoping shots go in. There's very few screens being set. Very few times do we seen our guards go inside the paint to throw it back out to have an inside out game. When we had Blake Griffin we had that because triple teaming Blake Griffin, heck sometimes putting 5 guys on Blake Griffin wasn't enough. So we had more open looks and better shooters. And we had a guard that could sometimes go inside and open up a few things. Right now most of our guards shots are 3 points shots that come after we pass it around outside a bunch. And we sometimes pass inside and hope our undersized post player can beat double teams.

It's not just the talent that's bad. The system is so bad for our talent it makes the talent look worse. That's not Kelvin's fault. It's not Billy's fault. It's the fault of our current coach.

John Kochtoston
1/15/2011, 07:04 PM

I know! And just look at that Bob Stoops! He came in and made all of these changes, and hired offensive coordinators who didn't run the option, and the program went to hell in a handcart!

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2011, 07:01 PM

Really?

You think we are where we are right now because of KS?

In his last few years the OU BBall staff made a few too many fone calls...care to explain how in the hell we retained the man's coaching services for 12 seasons since he was the problem for our program?

You do realize that OU has had only 2 coaches with losing records while at OU, right? The last being Bob Stevens who coached at OU from 1963-1967. His record was 46-79.

Billy Tubbs, won more games at OU than KS did, but he has a lower win percentage than KS does at OU. Granted that higher win percentage for KS is minute, but still higher regardless.

Billy Tubbs got us into the national spotlight. But it was Dave Bliss that really got the program going strong!

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2011, 01:30 AM
But it was Dave Bliss that really got the program going strong!

He's available.

Soonerjeepman
1/29/2011, 08:58 AM
I guess Kelvin Sampson and Billy Tubbs gave us too high expectations. Capel's doing about what you would expect at a program like OU according to what some of these people think.

Look I like Capel, he seems like a good dude, but look at the system or lack there of that we run on offense alone. You can pretty much say the same thing about John Blake 13 years ago except as we have come to find John Blake was really a jerk. But let's look in depth at our offense, we stand around hoping shots go in. There's very few screens being set. Very few times do we seen our guards go inside the paint to throw it back out to have an inside out game. When we had Blake Griffin we had that because triple teaming Blake Griffin, heck sometimes putting 5 guys on Blake Griffin wasn't enough. So we had more open looks and better shooters. And we had a guard that could sometimes go inside and open up a few things. Right now most of our guards shots are 3 points shots that come after we pass it around outside a bunch. And we sometimes pass inside and hope our undersized post player can beat double teams.

It's not just the talent that's bad. The system is so bad for our talent it makes the talent look worse. That's not Kelvin's fault. It's not Billy's fault. It's the fault of our current coach.

WINNER!!! I see NO GOOD EFFORT or plan on offense....really watch the game...the screens, the passing...it's pathetic....imho..

OUNASH
1/29/2011, 10:32 AM
College Basketball 2010-2011 Div I games only through games of 2011 January 28 Friday
HOME ADVANTAGE= 3.92 RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 25 | VS top 50 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR
121 Creighton = 75.18 13 9 71.82( 200) 0 1 | 0 2 | 75.16 122 | 74.68 126
122 IUPUI = 75.13 10 10 75.46( 49) 0 3 | 0 4 | 75.33 120 | 74.42 129
123 Jacksonville = 75.08 12 6 70.93( 249) 1 0 | 1 1 | 76.49 105 | 73.24 147
124 UC Santa Barbara = 75.05 9 7 73.36( 125) 0 1 | 1 1 | 73.89 142 | 75.74 116
125 Lipscomb = 75.00 12 8 72.59( 157) 0 1 | 1 2 | 75.76 116 | 73.75 138
126 Iowa = 74.95 8 12 76.24( 31) 0 3 | 0 5 | 71.86 169 | 77.83 92
127 Indiana State = 74.92 11 9 73.36( 124) 0 2 | 0 3 | 74.58 132 | 74.74 122
128 Tulsa = 74.90 10 10 73.58( 115) 0 0 | 0 2 | 73.35 150 | 76.00 111
129 Northern Colorado = 74.89 9 7 71.47( 222) 0 1 | 0 2 | 72.92 159 | 76.46 108
130 Pacific = 74.75 9 9 73.45( 121) 0 1 | 0 1 | 72.29 163 | 76.86 101
College Basketball 2010-2011 Div I games only through games of 2011 January 28 Friday
HOME ADVANTAGE= 3.92 RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 25 | VS top 50 | ELO_CHESS | PREDICTOR
131 Oklahoma = 74.56 10 8 72.61( 156) 0 5 | 0 5 | 75.22 121 | 73.40 141
132 Ball State = 74.53 12 5 68.55( 327) 0 0 | 0 1 | 74.69 129 | 73.87 137

This is Sagarin Rating from Yesterday. This should be enough to get anyone fired at a major university. We are in the company of too many mid majors. Its shameful when Pacific and Northern Colorado ae ranked higher than we are.

Soonerjeepman
1/29/2011, 04:53 PM
what about Lipscomb and IUPUI...wow...

Blue
1/29/2011, 05:38 PM
I'm still thinking give him another year or two.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2011, 06:01 PM
Romero Osby whom is our most talented player isn't even playing. Robert Goff will help us next year, and if we get that Guerrero high school kid and another piece, this team could be very talented next year. Capel is still recovering from Warren and Gallon sucking the life out of this team

bigfatjerk
1/29/2011, 07:00 PM
Capel is still recovering from sucking at recruiting that sucked the life out of the program

fify

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2011, 03:32 AM
Is Roy Williams a ****ty coach and horrible recruiter. He went 20-17 and 5-11 in conference last year with a team that had top 5 recruiting classes the last 6 years. Basketball is very difficult because if you make a couple of mistake...the really bite you in the ***. If Bob Stoops recruits 25 kids a year and only 10 every year turn out to be productive. He still has 40 really productive players after 4 years. In basketball you get 2 out of 5 and you are probably good but not great. Oh and if you hit on 4 out of 10 then you also only have 3 more scholarships to go for two years and you are in deep ****. I am just saying that Knight, Coach K, Roy Williams, Wooden, all had down periods because they hit wrong on a few recruiting classes.

King Barry's Back
1/30/2011, 04:06 AM
121 Creighton = 75.18 13 9 71.82( 200) 0 1 | 0 2 | 75.16 122 | 74.68 126
122 IUPUI = 75.13 10 10 75.46( 49) 0 3 | 0 4 | 75.33 120 | 74.42 129
123 Jacksonville = 75.08 12 6 70.93( 249) 1 0 | 1 1 | 76.49 105 | 73.24 147
124 UC Santa Barbara = 75.05 9 7 73.36( 125) 0 1 | 1 1 | 73.89 142 | 75.74 116
125 Lipscomb = 75.00 12 8 72.59( 157) 0 1 | 1 2 | 75.76 116 | 73.75 138
126 Iowa = 74.95 8 12 76.24( 31) 0 3 | 0 5 | 71.86 169 | 77.83 92
127 Indiana State = 74.92 11 9 73.36( 124) 0 2 | 0 3 | 74.58 132 | 74.74 122
128 Tulsa = 74.90 10 10 73.58( 115) 0 0 | 0 2 | 73.35 150 | 76.00 111
129 Northern Colorado = 74.89 9 7 71.47( 222) 0 1 | 0 2 | 72.92 159 | 76.46 108
130 Pacific = 74.75 9 9 73.45( 121) 0 1 | 0 1 | 72.29 163 | 76.86 101
131 Oklahoma = 74.56 10 8 72.61( 156) 0 5 | 0 5 | 75.22 121 | 73.40 141
132 Ball State = 74.53 12 5 68.55( 327) 0 0 | 0 1 | 74.69 129 | 73.87 137

This is Sagarin Rating from Yesterday. This should be enough to get anyone fired at a major university. We are in the company of too many mid majors. Its shameful when Pacific and Northern Colorado ae ranked higher than we are.

Look, nobody is proud of that ranking. But the fact is that rankings like that happen to teams that are rebuilding from catastrophes like we experienced last season.

So I think Capel kind of gets a pass on this year's standings, and the season should be judged on what I call "in-progress improvement." In other words, the final w-l record shouldn't be the final standard, but how the team comes together down the stretch, how/if they play harder and better, and how/if they can pull out some tough wins.

This mentality in no way gives Capel a pass for CAUSING (or at least presiding over) the catastrophe last year. That's a major black eye for him. But as someone who follows from abroad and doesn't get to see the actual games, I was just shocked at how that team never took a step forward, never pulled off a surprising victory, or how down the stretch they actually never pulled off a win over anybody.

Now riding a three-game win streak, this year's squad might be getting to show us something. I hope they do.

If they end up making a run at a tourney bid, and either get in or fall just short, it's hard to complain given where we were at the end of last year.

OUNASH
1/30/2011, 07:42 AM
Bottom line is Capel is the man responsible for getting us in this situation in the first place and IMO does not deserve a pass. If I under achieved or did not get results on my job for 2 years I would be gone. I doubt any of us would get a pass for poor production for 2 months much less 2 years.
Granted we have won three in a row, but Blake made progress at he end of the 98 season does that mean we should have kept him.The answer is NO.

okienole3
1/30/2011, 08:39 AM
Bottom line is Capel is the man responsible for getting us in this situation in the first place and IMO does not deserve a pass. If I under achieved or did not get results on my job for 2 years I would be gone. I doubt any of us would get a pass for poor production for 2 months much less 2 years.
Granted we have won three in a row, but Blake made progress at he end of the 98 season does that mean we should have kept him.The answer is NO.

If Blake had been to a BCS game 2 years prior, he would have. He did not. Capel was in the Elite 8 two years ago.

OUNASH
1/30/2011, 04:22 PM
My point is his teams are going backwards instead of forward and not staying at the same level. I think the only reason he got to the Elite Eight is because of Blake.To be fair I have not been a Capel fan since he got here. If he brings us out of this mess I will be the first one on here to apologize and give him his props. I want the team to due well. I am glad we are on a so-so streak, I really hope it continues. All that said he still doesnt deseerve a pass.

bri
1/30/2011, 04:37 PM
My point is his teams are going backwards instead of forward

Which is funny, 'cause this team is actually going forward and improving. But actually paying attention to basketball has never been a requirement to be a Sooner "fan".

Bottom line, most of the same people who are calling for Capel's head for "sucking at recruiting" are the same ones who were jizzing themselves when we signed Willie, TMG and Tiny.

Collier11
1/30/2011, 05:01 PM
yup

Adrian
1/30/2011, 06:10 PM
Bottom line, most of the same people who are calling for Capel's head for "sucking at recruiting" are the same ones who were jizzing themselves when we signed Willie, TMG and Tiny.

To be fair, Capel himself built these recruits up to the fans, and then couldn't control them.

OU_Sooners75
1/30/2011, 06:25 PM
My point is his teams are going backwards instead of forward and not staying at the same level. I think the only reason he got to the Elite Eight is because of Blake.To be fair I have not been a Capel fan since he got here. If he brings us out of this mess I will be the first one on here to apologize and give him his props. I want the team to due well. I am glad we are on a so-so streak, I really hope it continues. All that said he still doesnt deseerve a pass.

Drunky post?

Seriously....I said before conference play began, if we can win more than 2 games in our conference this year, then we should retain Capel.

Why is that do you ask?

1. He has at his deposal, thanks to a depleted roster, only about 7 guys that he rotates in. Most teams have between 9-10 players.
2. We went damn near a full calendar year between conference wins. The primadonnas we had on the squad last year were wrried bout themselves and nothing more.
3. We do not have one player on our starting five that will end up playing at the NBA level this year, if ever. Yes, we have some good young talent, but they will most likely be part of the 99% of NCAA Student-Athletes that go into something other than the Pros.

And as far as your comment about it was due to blake that we made an elite eight run...yes, he did contribute a lot, but I think it had to more to do with the fact that we had kids that actually seemed to care about the name on the front of their jerseys, much like this year season. We had players that were willing to work hard and play hard to win games.

We did not see that last year. We did not see that when Capel first got here. Yes, maybe it was Blake that got us there, but it was also because of his supporting cast too.

This year's squad, though I hate a loser and we will likely finish with a losing record for the second straight season, has a play as a team attitude, with not true star. A team that has to earn their way...and I kind of like that.

I think this year and the end of last year, opened up the coaching eyes of Jeff Capel. He has to really coach these guys...and he has to install a discipline on the team....and we did not see that last year.

We are in the top 6 right now of the Big 12 Standings....We can very easily win at least 3 more conference games....and to me that would exceed expectations leading into this season.

Keep Capel...lets see what he can do for a least another year or two.

BusterRhymes86
1/30/2011, 06:50 PM
I am a die hard OU fan and yes I go to every home game. But some of you need to take this "OU should never have a bad year" stuff and shove it. If North Carolina can have a couple of down years, so can we. And there are MANY teams that would have signed those guys we had last year. And by the way...the guy that had 38 points last night...I believe Capel recruited him.

soonerbub
1/30/2011, 07:10 PM
I concur--Appalachian State should farr his ****in ***

8-13 record including most recently a 20 point blowout loss to Furman

wait...........what? :confused:

OU_Sooners75
1/30/2011, 07:21 PM
I am a die hard OU fan and yes I go to every home game. But some of you need to take this "OU should never have a bad year" stuff and shove it. If North Carolina can have a couple of down years, so can we. And there are MANY teams that would have signed those guys we had last year. And by the way...the guy that had 38 points last night...I believe Capel recruited him.

Hey, tell me how I should feel and think and say again.

Seriously....congrats on making some basketball games, but do not sit there and tell me or anyone else what we should say or think.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2011, 07:25 PM
I am actually disappointed this thread wasn't titled..." FIRE Jeoff Cable!!!"

Collier11
1/30/2011, 08:13 PM
To be fair, Capel himself built these recruits up to the fans, and then couldn't control them.

everyone in the country wanted them, its not very often that you miss so badly on 3 big time recruits

Eielson
1/30/2011, 08:23 PM

You don't build up McDonald's All-Americans.

bigfatjerk
1/30/2011, 08:28 PM
You don't build up McDonald's All-Americans.

I think it's kinda silly to build up HS players for any level. Especially with something run by a fast food place.

Eielson
1/30/2011, 08:34 PM
I think it's kinda silly to build up HS players for any level. Especially with something run by a fast food place.

You're fat.

bigfatjerk
1/30/2011, 08:42 PM
Last year we started 4-4 in the Big 12. We ended 4-12. There's still a long ways to go. The schedule doesn't get that easy after this week.

waynepayne
1/30/2011, 08:54 PM
Which is funny, 'cause this team is actually going forward and improving. But actually paying attention to basketball has never been a requirement to be a Sooner "fan".

rep!

bigfatjerk
1/30/2011, 09:00 PM
I think Jeff is a nice guy but I think the standards for OU basketball are low right now with him at the helm. We just beat 3 horrible teams in a row. And we are happy about it. Even though all of them were pretty close games. Under our last 2 coaches with stretches like we just had we would call it a bad stretch of the season. Even if it's 3 wins, and people complained about Kelvin's style of play. Jeff's style is much slower and gives us fewer points.

bri
1/30/2011, 09:05 PM
Colorado is horrible? Tell that to Mizzou.

BusterRhymes86
1/30/2011, 09:23 PM
Hey, tell me how I should feel and think and say again.

Seriously....congrats on making some basketball games, but do not sit there and tell me or anyone else what we should say or think.

I will tell you whatever I want and I will tell you what to do...STAY HOME and dont follow OU basketball.

OUNASH
1/30/2011, 11:16 PM
Bri ,
There were numerous post here and riumors before the three recruits got here that they were selfish and had attitude problems. I for one never get excited about a player until he gets here and proves himself to be of any worth. As far as going forward, if you read my post I meant staying status quo from the elite eight team or improving. If you think we are at that level now you are nuts. We can agree to disagree because I dont think Capel has what it takes to get us back to the promised land.
If you had read all of my post, I also stated I would be the first person on here to congratulate him and the team if they get back to the NIT or NCAA tournament this year.

yankee
1/31/2011, 12:40 AM
I think Jeff is a nice guy but I think the standards for OU basketball are low right now with him at the helm. We just beat 3 horrible teams in a row. And we are happy about it. Even though all of them were pretty close games. Under our last 2 coaches with stretches like we just had we would call it a bad stretch of the season. Even if it's 3 wins, and people complained about Kelvin's style of play. Jeff's style is much slower and gives us fewer points.

If the expectations were any different going into the season, we would not be happy about beating 3 "horrible" teams by fairly small margins. But many predicted this team would win 0,1, maybe 2 conference games. Some predicted more. But the point is that no one expected much out of this team and they are exceeding most people's expectations. And for that, we should be happy. I know I am. I enjoy watching these kids play, thank you very much.

And Capel deserves some respect for getting the most out of these players. We're an extremely young team with very little experience. Things are only going to go up.

bigfatjerk
1/31/2011, 12:52 AM
I like how Billy Tubbs says this. "Young and Inexperience" is just another term for bad. Kentucky is "young and inexperienced" every year. They still have been a top 10 team the last couple of years. We don't really play our young and inexperienced players all that much except for Clark. Everyone else we've played has at least 1 year of big boy experience. Cade, Blair Pledger, Fitz, all started games in Div 1 basketball in the past. We don't really play Neal, Newell, and Thompson that much anymore.

yankee
1/31/2011, 01:04 AM
I like how Billy Tubbs says this. "Young and Inexperience" is just another term for bad. Kentucky is "young and inexperienced" every year. They still have been a top 10 team the last couple of years. We don't really play our young and inexperienced players all that much except for Clark. Everyone else we've played has at least 1 year of big boy experience. Cade, Blair Pledger, Fitz, all started games in Div 1 basketball in the past. We don't really play Neal, Newell, and Thompson that much anymore.

Blair- Played at basketball powerhouse UNO as a true freshman, now playing big boy Division 1 basketball for the first time. Yup, I'd call that inexperienced.

Fitz- First year starting, saw limited minutes last season although his minutes increased later in the season. Yup, I'd call that inexperienced.

Clark- True freshman. 'Nuff said.

Pledger- Role player who struggled mightily with his shooting last year, nothing more.

Cade is the only veteran player on this team.

1 senior, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman round out the starting 5. If that doesn't sound like young and inexperienced to you, then I don't know what does. Throw in guys like CJ (First year of D1 ball), Neal (True freshman), Newell (True freshman), and Thompson (First year of D1 ball).............I hope you get the point.

Oh and your Kentucky analogy is stupid. They sign a top 5 recruiting class each year becase of slimeball Calipari. Have we ever signed a top 5 recruiting class, ever?

bigfatjerk
1/31/2011, 01:06 AM
Last year and when Blake signed probably was a top 5 class. Other than that probably not.

stoopified
1/31/2011, 10:05 AM
fOR ALL YOU fire capel TYPES THE sOONER sCHOONER WILL HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM FOR YOU (TO JUMP BACK ON) AS SOON AS THE INTELLIGENT AMONG YOU GET OFF CAPEL'S BACK.

...sooner
1/31/2011, 10:24 AM
Blair- Played at basketball powerhouse UNO as a true freshman, now playing big boy Division 1 basketball for the first time. Yup, I'd call that inexperienced.

Fitz- First year starting, saw limited minutes last season although his minutes increased later in the season. Yup, I'd call that inexperienced.

Pledger- Role player who struggled mightily with his shooting last year, nothing more.

1 senior, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman round out the starting 5. If that doesn't sound like young and inexperienced to you, then I don't know what does. Throw in guys like CJ (First year of D1 ball), Neal (True freshman), Newell (True freshman), and Thompson (First year of D1 ball).............I hope you get the point.

Oh and your Kentucky analogy is stupid. They sign a top 5 recruiting class each year becase of slimeball Calipari. Have we ever signed a top 5 recruiting class, ever?

win.

Soonerjeepman
1/31/2011, 11:19 AM

hate to say it but CJ and Nick shouldn't even be on this team...kind of like soph in HS...if ya aren't on JV by soph yr...(in some situations) prob not going to make it on V as a Jr or Sr....can they play ball..sure...major D1...prob not....ask yourself how many minutes they'd get at any of the other Big 12 schools...there is a reason they were available so late...

I KNOW Capel's hands were "tied" due to the loss of guys..but part of that is on him...knowing the recruits..

I'll support OU sports..everything... and LOVE bball...watch every time I can...and I do hope things get better...if we get .500 overall by seasons end it will be a "success" for the yr.

Believe me I know what it is to coach not very good guys...did it in HS...it's not "fun" but it can be rewarding if there is improvement...sometimes that all you can look for.

bri
1/31/2011, 12:05 PM
I can hardly wait for next year when Capel has it turned around and we're winning so 90% of the people on this board bitching will go back to completely ignoring Sooner basketball.

Soonerite
1/31/2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe if we can get Landry, broyles, and Travis Lewis to play basketball more of the football only fans would be more interested. :D Seriously though, count me in as one of the people that think Capel will get it turned around next year.

badger
1/31/2011, 01:28 PM
I am so proud of our hard working players that are proving that they are just as deserving of their D-1 scholarships as the players in several other Big 12 programs. The only slight disappointment player-wise is Cade Davis, because I'm getting slightly annoyed at the way he is whining to refs this season after questionable calls :(

I respect fans that want to stick with Capel. I'm not there yet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2011, 01:47 PM
Oh they will still complain because history tells us that they have to lose next year and some of these guys think you are never ever supposed to lose. How else are we supposed to be like Duke..since Duke has never had down years or ever even lost a game really!

Eielson
1/31/2011, 02:00 PM
Last year and when Blake signed probably was a top 5 class. Other than that probably not.

I just got on rivals, and if by "last year" you are referring to the year we got TMG, Tiny, Fitz, Pledger, and Hardrick, then you're almost there. It's only #7, though. Blake's year was rated #27...

bri
1/31/2011, 02:03 PM
In his defense, he did say "probably".

TopDawg
1/31/2011, 02:06 PM
do not sit there and tell me or anyone else what we should say

"Don't tell me I can't say something...that's for me to tell you!" ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/31/2011, 02:33 PM
Not everyone has Google!!

Eielson
1/31/2011, 03:27 PM
In his defense, he did say "probably".

The OU football team was probably a top 5 team after beating Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

Soonerite
1/31/2011, 03:35 PM
The OU football team was probably a top 5 team after beating Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

Damn straight they were!!!

Soonerjeepman
1/31/2011, 04:19 PM
I can hardly wait for next year when Capel has it turned around and we're winning so 90% of the people on this board bitching will go back to completely ignoring Sooner basketball.

that's funny...I grew up on OU football....but I've coached HS bball, play it, really enjoy it...I watch and LOOK FOR any OU girls games as well...ball is ball in my book...

and I've bitched about the direction of the men's team the last 2yrs...obviously my feelings about Capel don't mean squat...but I do think they are validated by what is out there. Capel was in a corner after last yr...why else sign 9 guys, at least is already gone...so LATE...I do hope he gets it going...coaching isn't rocket science...recruiting is....BOOMER SOONER

Mad Dog Madsen
1/31/2011, 05:25 PM
Just so everyone knows... OU basketball has a 3-game win streak, YES, I said win streak! :P 11-9 overall 3-3 conf. Our road woes has also finally come to an end (19-game losing streak). We're playing some good basketball and playing like a team. Let's keep cheering them on and hold off on the "Fire Capel" until at least the end of the regular season.

badger
1/31/2011, 05:40 PM
aren't we close to the number of wins we had last year? I'm not asking in a snarky tee hee I-show-all-of-you-haters way, just asking.

I honestly don't remember. All I know is that it was in the teens somewhere.

bigfatjerk
1/31/2011, 08:33 PM
We need to win 2 more conference games before we match last year.

Last year after 8 conference games we were 4-4 in conference, we ended 4-12.

AlboSooner
1/31/2011, 08:44 PM
I say let's not fire him.

soonerbub
1/31/2011, 09:12 PM
We were 13-18 last year losing our final 9 games

in fact today is the anniversary of our final win last yr :(

...but that's old news BOOMER :)

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2011, 12:56 PM

I do not see Jeff Capel out there playing.

However he does not have any true go to guys. We have 6 or 7 guys that are support players, and neither of them can seem to take the game over. Yes Pledger had a helluva game against ISU, but the 4 next game he may score only 6 points in each.

Jeff Capel is doing well with what he has....and I am very excited to see that it seems we are headed in the right direction.

There is not a coach in this nation can lose what Capel did from last year, and expect a run to the national tournament.

I think this season is showing us, those that are realistic and logical in thinking, that he can really coach. Now if he understands that he does not have to go after a bunch of primadonna's that want nothing but one year to get to the NBA, has yet to be seen.

Any team can survive one such type of player...but no team can be very successful when you had three of them.

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2011, 12:57 PM
I will tell you whatever I want and I will tell you what to do...STAY HOME and dont follow OU basketball.

Spoken like a true idiot.

congrats!

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2011, 01:00 PM

Last year's class was not a top 5 recruiting season...and even if it were, look where it landed us.

Soonerjeepman
2/1/2011, 01:37 PM
I do not see Jeff Capel out there playing.

However he does not have any true go to guys. We have 6 or 7 guys that are support players, and neither of them can seem to take the game over. Yes Pledger had a helluva game against ISU, but the 4 next game he may score only 6 points in each.

Jeff Capel is doing well with what he has....and I am very excited to see that it seems we are headed in the right direction.

There is not a coach in this nation can lose what Capel did from last year, and expect a run to the national tournament.

I think this season is showing us, those that are realistic and logical in thinking, that he can really coach. Now if he understands that he does not have to go after a bunch of primadonna's that want nothing but one year to get to the NBA, has yet to be seen.

Any team can survive one such type of player...but no team can be very successful when you had three of them.

I agree with everyone of your points but you need to add HE RECRUITED those guys that bailed last yr...by choice or circumstance...and that is HE RESPONSIBLE for...hopefully the big 3, Fitz, CC, and Pledge can be a building block for next 2 yrs...

OU_Sooners75
2/1/2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with everyone of your points but you need to add HE RECRUITED those guys that bailed last yr...by choice or circumstance...and that is HE RESPONSIBLE for...hopefully the big 3, Fitz, CC, and Pledge can be a building block for next 2 yrs...

There is no question about it. He is responsible for the recruitment and signing of those players.

And it seems he has gone away from chasing down all those MCD AA type players...or at least so many at one time.

I think he might have learned his lesson on actually building his program from players that want to be here and are willing to work hard and play hard.

Sure, having the McD AAs that pan out well are fun to have, but they should never be the basis in which you build your program....and I think Capel now knows that.

Eielson
2/1/2011, 03:17 PM
We need to win 2 more conference games before we match last year.

Last year after 8 conference games we were 4-4 in conference, we ended 4-12.

Being at 3-3, I'm thinking we need 1 more conference win to get to 4.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/1/2011, 03:30 PM
They are just numbers they don't control us..if I say 3+2=4...no one can prove that is wrong!

Eielson
2/1/2011, 03:38 PM
They are just numbers they don't control us..if I say 3+2=4...no one can prove that is wrong!

I guess nobody specified that we were using scalar math.

87sooner
2/1/2011, 04:07 PM
There is no question about it. He is responsible for the recruitment and signing of those players.

And it seems he has gone away from chasing down all those MCD AA type players...or at least so many at one time.

I think he might have learned his lesson on actually building his program from players that want to be here and are willing to work hard and play hard.

Sure, having the McD AAs that pan out well are fun to have, but they should never be the basis in which you build your program....and I think Capel now knows that.

"mcd aa's that pan out well" should never be the basis in which to build your program?
tell that to duke or kansas or kentucky....
tell that to bob stoops too while you're at it...

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/1/2011, 08:52 PM
Bob Stoops recruits McDonald's All Americans...that seems like a mistake to me

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 12:20 AM
"mcd aa's that pan out well" should never be the basis in which to build your program?
tell that to duke or kansas or kentucky....
tell that to bob stoops too while you're at it...

I dont remember Duke starting 5 MCD AAs. I do recall them signing plenty and also signing a lot of roll players.

And as far as football, Bob Stoops gets his 5 stars, but less than a lot of the other top teams. However we do have a roster filled with 3 and 4 star recruits from high school.

If you are signing a bunch of primadonna MCD AA players, the ones that think they are good enough to enter the NBA draft after one season, it will not be a solid foundation to build a program on.

Duke has a lot of players that are roll players...they get a good deal of top talent too, but they are not the type we had last season.

Same can be said of Kansas and any other top notch program. Capel had three all-americans that thought they were gods gift to the sport. And it showed when they left out program.

Building a program around those types of players, well, we see what we get when they decide to leave!

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 12:21 AM
Bob Stoops recruits McDonald's All Americans...that seems like a mistake to me

Especially since there is no such thing for football. ;)

starclassic tama
2/2/2011, 05:18 AM

100% true and well said. spot on analysis of this team and capel's situation. anyone getting really upset at capel and calling for his job is just clueless.

87sooner
2/2/2011, 11:11 AM
I dont remember Duke starting 5 MCD AAs. I do recall them signing plenty and also signing a lot of roll players.

And as far as football, Bob Stoops gets his 5 stars, but less than a lot of the other top teams. However we do have a roster filled with 3 and 4 star recruits from high school.

If you are signing a bunch of primadonna MCD AA players, the ones that think they are good enough to enter the NBA draft after one season, it will not be a solid foundation to build a program on.

Duke has a lot of players that are roll players...they get a good deal of top talent too, but they are not the type we had last season.

Same can be said of Kansas and any other top notch program. Capel had three all-americans that thought they were gods gift to the sport. And it showed when they left out program.

Building a program around those types of players, well, we see what we get when they decide to leave!

i really don't think you have a clue what willie/tiny/tmg were all about......or why they left the team...

gallon was making good progress and i have no doubt he would have stayed if the $payment hadn't been made public.

capel lost control of willie/tmg.....that's his fault...
they skipped practices and capel played them anyway...
capel lets the inmates run things....that's his style...and it doesn't work...
even crocker was part of the mutiny and he was God's gift to no one....so it's not just the stars that capel has problems with...

i think willie and tmg recognized capel was in over his head and they wanted no part of it anymore...
they lost faith/confidence in his coaching ability...

87sooner
2/2/2011, 11:13 AM
100% true and well said. spot on analysis of this team and capel's situation. anyone getting really upset at capel and calling for his job is just clueless.

anyone that thinks capel is a good coach is just clueless...
see how that works?

87sooner
2/2/2011, 11:14 AM
Especially since there is no such thing for football. ;)

ever hear of parade all americans?

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 05:02 PM
ever hear of parade all americans?

So now Parade is the same as McDonald?

Ever hear of of Army All-Americans?

You cannot even come close to compare basketball to football.

Unless you are Maurice Clarrett, football players know they have to wait 3 years before going pro....basketball not so much.

Me personally, I think the NBA needs to get rid of that damn one year removed rule or make it 3 years.

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 05:04 PM
anyone that thinks capel is a good coach is just clueless...
see how that works?

And anyone that thinks he just flat out sucks as a coach is also clueless.

Capel is no Roy Williams or Bill Self...but he is not the worst coach out there.

He has now totaled last year's conference wins....without the primadonnas of TMG, WW, or Tiny.

You can say that it was his fault that those players quit on him all you want....but it was the players themselves that decided to be bigger than the program...the only fault Capel has in that is the fact that he continued to play them.

yankee
2/2/2011, 05:06 PM
Still a long way to go in Conference play, but the OP is looking stupider and stupider as the season progresses.

bigfatjerk
2/2/2011, 05:10 PM
The schedule after this point gets real tough. Still a long ways to go before saying anything. But right now we're 3rd in the conference.

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 05:15 PM
Still a long way to go in Conference play, but the OP is looking stupider and stupider as the season progresses.

Knowing ST (the OP of this thread)....he was being his usual sarcastic self.

But I could be wrong.

AlboSooner
2/2/2011, 05:15 PM
I say let's not fire him.

Eielson
2/2/2011, 05:21 PM
So now Parade is the same as McDonald?

Ever hear of of Army All-Americans?

You cannot even come close to compare basketball to football.

Unless you are Maurice Clarrett, football players know they have to wait 3 years before going pro....basketball not so much.

Me personally, I think the NBA needs to get rid of that damn one year removed rule or make it 3 years.

As much as I like the rule as far as college basketball goes, I just can't support it. I agree we should get rid of the one year rule, but not to replace it with 3 years. You should be allowed to enter the NBA straight out of high school. I just couldn't support it any longer while watching the NBA Finals two seasons ago. Of the 10 starters in that series, only four of them played NCAA basketball, and it could be easily argued that those were the four worst. The duo that made everything happen for LA (Kobe and Pau) and the trio that made everything happen for Orlando (Howard, Lewis, and Turkoglu) didn't need NCAA basketball, so I don't know how we can reasonably make it a requirement.

Eielson
2/2/2011, 05:21 PM
The schedule after this point gets real tough. Still a long ways to go before saying anything. But right now we're 3rd in the conference.

Oklahoma State? :O

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 05:25 PM
As much as I like the rule as far as college basketball goes, I just can't support it. I agree we should get rid of the one year rule, but not to replace it with 3 years. You should be allowed to enter the NBA straight out of high school. I just couldn't support it any longer while watching the NBA Finals two seasons ago. Of the 10 starters in that series, only four of them played NCAA basketball, and it could be easily argued that those were the four worst. The duo that made everything happen for LA (Kobe and Pau) and the trio that made everything happen for Orlando (Howard, Lewis, and Turkoglu) didn't need NCAA basketball, so I don't know how we can reasonably make it a requirement.

Getting rid of it would make more sense to me as well.

But if they are going to have such a rule, it needs to be more than 1 or 2 years.

1 year has really ruined college basketball.

bigfatjerk
2/2/2011, 05:27 PM
Oklahoma State? :O

After Oklahoma State we play Texas, @Missouri, Nebraska, @Kansas State, @ Texas A&M, Kansas

badger
2/2/2011, 05:27 PM
Capel is starting to turn me around... oh man oh man oh man how in the heck did we just pull off four in a row? go free crowd. go snow game. go non-highly recruited players that make up our team. yes, even capel. you go, capel. you prove us doubters wrong and keep this streak up and have a chance at the posteason. you all go.

bigfatjerk
2/2/2011, 05:30 PM
Capel is starting to turn me around... oh man oh man oh man how in the heck did we just pull off four in a row? go free crowd. go snow game. go non-highly recruited players that make up our team. yes, even capel. you go, capel. you prove us doubters wrong and keep this streak up and have a chance at the posteason. you all go.

This is the softest part of our schedule. And the Big 12 is real down. The rest of the schedule I would love if we find a way to win 2 or 3 games in our next 6 or 7

Soonerfan88
2/2/2011, 05:31 PM
Capel probably learned as much about being a coach in the last 18 months as he did the 10 years prior. It's not always about the talent on the court. He is a young man in this profession and just went through a baptismal fire. He will become stronger from it, as a coach and an evaluator, and this will benefit the OU program in the long run.

AlboSooner
2/2/2011, 05:33 PM
Capel probably learned as much about being a coach in the last 18 months as he did the 10 years prior. It's not always about the talent on the court. He is a young man in this profession and just went through a baptismal fire. He will become stronger from it, as a coach and an evaluator, and this will benefit the OU program in the long run.

good post. this ou wanted the game more than baylor. there's a fire in their eyes. a hunger...

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/2/2011, 05:36 PM
If Capel can win two more, he will be equal to last year!!!

OU_Sooners75
2/2/2011, 05:49 PM
If Capel can win two more, he will be equal to last year!!!

How you figure?

One more win and we equal last year's season total of 13 wins.

We have already equaled last years total conference wins with 4.

bigfatjerk
2/2/2011, 06:01 PM
If we win 3 more games the rest of the year that would be pretty good. Win 4 more games that's an amazing job by coach Capel. 1 or 2 more wins are probably the most likely to happen.

Eielson
2/2/2011, 06:14 PM
How you figure?

One more win and we equal last year's season total of 13 wins.

We have already equaled last years total conference wins with 4.

Check page 9. :D

BusterRhymes86
2/2/2011, 06:20 PM

Great post..

Eielson
2/2/2011, 06:21 PM
If we win 3 more games the rest of the year that would be pretty good. Win 4 more games that's an amazing job by coach Capel. 1 or 2 more wins are probably the most likely to happen.

Are you saying that we got to 4-3 by playing a weak schedule? Five of our seven games came against the top 5 (not including us) Big XII teams according to the current conference standings. We have a home game against Nebraska, two games against OSU, a road game against Tech, and who knows what kind of team we'll get when we go to Manhattan. We have a very good shot at getting to 8-8 if we keep up our level of play, and if we do that, Capel will have pulled off one of the greatest coaching performances in school history.

waynepayne
2/2/2011, 06:33 PM

bump for excellence in posting...

C&CDean
2/2/2011, 06:42 PM
I will archive this thread for the sole purpose of identifying the haters. Who wants to bet they're the same people who bitch every time OU doesn't score a TD on every offensive (and sometimes defensive) play?

Young people have ZERO patience. I've raised up 5 boys. I have patience. OU/Capel are gonna do great things. And when they do, all you ****wad haters are gonna be "well I told you so." Told me what? Blow me haters.

yankee
2/2/2011, 06:45 PM
Young people have ZERO patience. I've raised up 5 boys. I have patience. OU/Capel are gonna do great things. And when they do, all you ****wad haters are gonna be "well I told you so." Told me what? Blow me haters.

I'm 20 and I haven't had one "farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Capel" post. But f' the haterz.

badger
2/2/2011, 06:50 PM
bump for excellence in posting...

Don't confuse me with the good OU men's team fans that are here. i admittedly have been off the Capel bandwagon since around the start of the year and I am still not back on. While I faithfully watch the games and cheer for the team, I am cheering for the players. I am still not firmly convinced - even after four great conference wins - that Capel and OU are best for each other.

So, kudos to the Capel supporters who have remained loyal, and even more to the 6k who braved the snow today to attend. There's only one OU team I'll ever be 100 percent loyal to, and that's the womens team... who conveniently enough also have the chance to upset Baylor today :)

waynepayne
2/2/2011, 06:53 PM
Don't confuse me with the good OU men's team fans that are here. i admittedly have been off the Capel bandwagon since around the start of the year and I am still not back on. While I faithfully watch the games and cheer for the team, I am cheering for the players. I am still not firmly convinced - even after four great conference wins - that Capel and OU are best for each other.

So, kudos to the Capel supporters who have remained loyal, and even more to the 6k who braved the snow today to attend. There's only one OU team I'll ever be 100 percent loyal to, and that's the womens team... who conveniently enough also have the chance to upset Baylor today :)

I was bumping it because at least you were rationale enough to want to see how the season played out regardless of how you feel about Jeff.

As for me, I am 100% loyal to the name Sooner on the front of my shirt.

badger
2/2/2011, 07:00 PM
Here's what I posted back when we were 8-6:

I really am starting to suspect that Joe C. will not pull the trigger this season. We don't suck per se, we just have no talent. And what better way to accompany no talent than no coaching.

I will support the team without supporting Capel till I see signs of coaching. Otherwise, we're basically paying the dude seven figures to roll his eyes in an expensive suit, occasionally drawing a poorly timed technical foul.

Used to support Capel, but with every game being televised and them showing his inaction and indifference in most instances, I cannot any longer.

I am definitely seeing Capel step up and coach (and appear to care) more, so that complaint is gone. My new complaint is with seeing Cade complain to refs more than a player should. The players are also showing signs of being D-1 players that they didn't early in the season, so not really fair to call them "no talent" anymore.

They work hard and have a ton of heart. That's worth a lot more than talent (as we found out last season).

C&CDean
2/2/2011, 07:23 PM
Alt, (wife of George), Capel is a fine coach. You've allowed yourself to be influenced by a bunch of haters. I have been around long enough to know that Castiglione ain't gonna bring no dog into Norman. Capel is winning games right now with a bunch of under-sized, 1-star players. The players are playing, but this is the same group of players that wasn't to start the season. The more Jeff gets them to believe, the more they're gonna do.

This team will be playing in the post-season. Maybe not NCAAs, but they're gonna be somewhere. Who'd a thunk that? Me.

Collier11
2/2/2011, 07:32 PM
Myself and Stoopified both said a game or two over .500 and a shot at the NIT. At this point we need to go 3-6 the rest of the way to finish 17-15. I can see that happening easily with the improvement they have shown week to week and game to game

stoopified
2/3/2011, 10:14 AM
Myself and Stoopified both said a game or two over .500 and a shot at the NIT. At this point we need to go 3-6 the rest of the way to finish 17-15. I can see that happening easily with the improvement they have shown week to week and game to game Yup

bri
2/3/2011, 02:40 PM
And the Big 12 is real down.

Rank Conference Avg. RPI Avg. SOS SOS Rank Teams
1 Big East 0.5954 0.5814 1 16
2 Big Ten 0.5873 0.5743 2 11
3 Big 12 0.5786 0.5494 6 12
4 Mountain West 0.5668 0.5498 5 9
5 Atlantic Coast 0.5596 0.5461 7 12
6 Southeastern 0.5585 0.5498 4 12
7 Pacific-10 0.5509 0.5504 3 10
8 Conference USA 0.5354 0.5187 10 12
9 Atlantic 10 0.5316 0.5313 8 14
10 Colonial Athletic 0.5283 0.5218 9 12
11 Horizon League 0.5181 0.5131 12 10
12 Missouri Valley 0.5174 0.5124 13 10
13 West Coast 0.5073 0.5148 11 8
14 Ivy League 0.5009 0.4883 15 8
15 Western Athletic 0.5001 0.4959 14 9
16 Metro Atlantic Athletic 0.4805 0.4846 16 10
17 Big South 0.4732 0.4761 18 10
18 Atlantic Sun 0.4707 0.4719 21 11
19 Big West 0.4671 0.4739 19 9
20 Northeast 0.4663 0.4692 22 12
21 Southern 0.4659 0.4726 20 12
22 Mid-American 0.4658 0.4782 17 12
23 Summit 0.4652 0.4663 25 10
24 America East 0.4605 0.4679 24 9
25 Patriot League 0.4600 0.4607 26 8
26 Sun Belt 0.4584 0.4690 23 12
27 Big Sky 0.4538 0.4574 27 9
28 Ohio Valley 0.4527 0.4527 29 10
29 Southland 0.4506 0.4537 28 12
30 Mid-Eastern 0.4282 0.4495 30 11
31 Southwestern Athletic 0.4078 0.4349 31 10
32 Independents 0.3900 0.4340 32 13

Yeah, the Big 12 is real down this year. Only 3rd in RPI? Buncha pussies.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/3/2011, 05:03 PM
So that is how Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas are always good...they play in **** conferences!!

bigfatjerk
2/3/2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, the Big 12 is real down this year. Only 3rd in RPI? Buncha pussies.

I don't care about how it's ranked by some computer. The fact is that there are 4 teams in the conference with over .500 records in conference right now.

GDC
2/3/2011, 05:42 PM
Capel should be arrested for impersonating a basketball coach.

nativesooner
2/3/2011, 05:46 PM
As for me, I am 100% loyal to the name Sooner on the front of my shirt.

Same here! BOOMER!!!

bri
2/3/2011, 07:38 PM
I don't care about how it's ranked by some computer. The fact is that there are 4 teams in the conference with over .500 records in conference right now.

You know what, you're right. In a tough, competitive conference there shouldn't be any of this "anyone can beat anyone" bullsh*t. There should be six really good teams and six really awful teams.

SMH

starrca23
2/3/2011, 08:01 PM
Capel can coach. People over react. The rest is just filler.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/4/2011, 09:51 AM
You know what, you're right. In a tough, competitive conference there shouldn't be any of this "anyone can beat anyone" bullsh*t. There should be six really good teams and six really awful teams.

SMH

Well a team that lost to Chaminade is in 3rd Place :D

I Am Right
2/9/2011, 07:40 PM
His fault!

GDC
2/9/2011, 10:05 PM
I am glad there is a big crowd. More people will realize just how **** poor a coach Capel is and maybe it will get rid of him quicker.

Eielson
2/9/2011, 11:14 PM
Anybody expecting this team to compete with the #3 team in the country...the same one that ended the #2 team's 69 game home winning streak this year...is out of their mind.

oudavid1
2/9/2011, 11:26 PM
Anybody expecting this team to compete with the #3 team in the country...the same one that ended the #2 team's 69 game home winning streak this year...is out of their mind.

thank you!

GDC
2/9/2011, 11:56 PM
Anyone believing Jeff Capel can actually coach or recruit is out of his or her mind.

EatLeadCommie
2/10/2011, 02:35 AM

Loser's mentality.

Subtract tonight, and there are a million other reasons why Capel should go. I thought he was a very good hire at the time, but he has been an enormous bust. Like a Dolly Parton sized bust.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2011, 04:39 AM
Remember the half empty stadiums when we were going the Final Four and tournament every year..oh yeah you guys don't because you didn't care then either.

allanace16
2/10/2011, 12:03 PM

The thing is, yeah, I expected this team to lose by 20 to that Texas team. But how many years of the program in the last 15 has that been the case? Or for that matter, how many times in that time frame has it been a reasonable expectation that we were going to lose by 20 to anyone (injuries, etc. aside)? Then how many of those years from the former question were years coached by Jeff Capel? I mean OU hoops has been to three Final Fours in the last 10 years. How many other programs have topped that? I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 10. No one used to fear highly ranked Texas and Kansas teams. We might have been underdogs, but we knew we had a shot. I don't think anyone thought we had a shot last night.

I don't think anyone expected the two teams taking the court last night to truly compete with each other, but plenty of Sooners expect OU to compete with its biggest rival, and for that reason I can understand why people are pissed. This isn't football, where coaching-wise it's Stoops and his bitches. Unlike the Clapper, Rick Barnes is a damn good coach. Self's a damn good coach. Drew at Baylor's a damn good coach. Turgeon's got A&M at a high level, and assuming he doesn't die of a heart attack any time soon, so does Frank Martin at K-State. And then the two (traditionally) weakest teams in Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the conference.

What makes this all unsettling to me is that I think most fans thought the Capel hire was a good one (the Coach K coaching tree curse aside). I still think Jeff Capel can coach, but just due to the circumstances that have transpired during his tenure, he may not be the best person to lead us back to competing at a high level.

(FWIW, my personal opinion is give Capel another year, because I still have middling faith that what he can do with next year is greater than an unknown coach that will be piecing together a last minute recruiting class. And let's not kid ourselves, the upcoming recruiting class is going to have a lot of bearing on where this program is going anytime soon.)

bri
2/10/2011, 12:34 PM
I mean OU hoops has been to three Final Fours in the last 10 years.

Um, what?

badger
2/10/2011, 12:42 PM
Then how many of those years from the former question were years coached by Jeff Capel? I mean OU hoops has been to three Final Fours in the last 10 years. How many other programs have topped that?

Yes, I also dream of the day Jeff Capel's daughter suits up for Sherri, but till then, he really can't take credit for her Final Fours :D

The OU men have a total of four Final Four appearances (1939, 1947, 1988, 2002), one more than the women (2002, 2009, 2010).

Just for the fun of it, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State and Florida have all been to three Final Fours during the past decade... and they all got at least one title out of it. UCLA also had three losing Final Four appearances in the past decade.

I was really surprised looking back at this list and seeing those guys appear repeatedly. I know there's little parity on the women's side when it comes to Final Fours recently, but looks like that's almost the case on the men's side too.

OUmillenium
2/10/2011, 12:56 PM
Remember the half empty stadiums when we were going the Final Four and tournament every year..oh yeah you guys don't because you didn't care then either.

No, I don't remember those. I remember sold out v. IOWA ST!!! in 89-90, not half empty

bigfatjerk
2/10/2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe early in the season in 01 there was a game or two that was half full. I don't remember any games in Blake's 2nd year that were half full. Maybe there was one or two early ones again. Against bad teams out of conference I understand that sometimes though. But I think early season is a problem everywhere. Bill Self has complained about selling out early in the year, I think even this year.

But in our Final Four year we solid out just about every conference game and most big games that year. In the Blake year, the same thing. When we are good we have big crowds and solid support. When we suck like this year and last year I don't blame anyone for not paying to see that type of ball. Especially last year when the team basically quit.

Eielson
2/10/2011, 01:20 PM
Loser's mentality.

Subtract tonight, and there are a million other reasons why Capel should go. I thought he was a very good hire at the time, but he has been an enormous bust. Like a Dolly Parton sized bust.

A million other reasons, huh? I'd like to see you get to a thousand.

badger
2/10/2011, 01:26 PM
It's games these, where we make tickets free and suddenly have a visible crowd on TV, that make me wonder if the good tickets just aren't accessible to potential hardcore OU basketball fans, or if basketball tickets are just too expensive, or if it was just the fact that the games were free.

I love that we crammed so many fans into the LNC and they all had white shirts (except for the stupid whorns in the crowd, of course). I wish we had more games like this. If we have trouble selling out the early season games, would it make a difference if we lowered prices, lowered the donor standard to get into the lower bowl, or just made a few games free?

87sooner
2/10/2011, 01:33 PM
crapel should be fired at the end of the season....
we should not get blown out by anyone at home...

crapel can't recruit...he can't retain players.....he can't teach fundamentals....he can't teach defense...
keep defending this pathetic loser coach....like you did john blake...

Eielson
2/10/2011, 01:47 PM
The thing is, yeah, I expected this team to lose by 20 to that Texas team. But how many years of the program in the last 15 has that been the case? Or for that matter, how many times in that time frame has it been a reasonable expectation that we were going to lose by 20 to anyone (injuries, etc. aside)?

You're acting like this team wasn't just hit by a major scandal. It's time to face it, it was. We weren't going to come out it and be knocking off top 5 teams in the country right away. The fact that we so quickly rebounded and are able to beat any team in the conference other than the #1 and #2 team is near-miraculous. This was my favorite part of your post:

"Drew at Baylor's a damn good coach. Turgeon's got A&M at a high level, and assuming he doesn't die of a heart attack any time soon, so does Frank Martin at K-State."

Let's start with Baylor. We beat Baylor, so although I could go on, I so absolutely no need to.

Now on to Texas A&M. While you act like there is major shame in losing by 16 to them, A&M lost by 20. That wasn't a fluke, either. A&M lost at Texas by 21, whereas we lost by 20.

Lastly, Kansas State. They have the exact same conference record as us, and that's even considering the fact that this was absolutely not supposed to be a rebuilding year for them. They haven't played Texas, so we can't make that comparison, but they lost to their arch-rival Kansas by 24.

I think it's pretty clear that several of you guys are blowing last night's loss out of proportion.

allanace16
2/10/2011, 06:35 PM
2 Elite Eights and 1 Final Four. My bad. That's what happens when I try running my mouth and doing work at the same time. Usually a lot better on my fact checking and memory than that.

Still, it's a high level of play. A level of play that seems quite far away considering the last Elite Eight appearance was a couple years ago.

As for Baylor, they're still third in the conference, despite a loss to us. And it's not like they didn't lose some good pieces from last year in Udoh and Carter, and a pretty good role guy in Lomers. Seems like a pretty good place to be. Not to mention you see media talking about a team like a Baylor and decide to talk "bad losses" and have our name up there in that category. I don't think I can ever remember OU listed as someone else's "bad loss"

A&M's passed the "hard" portion of their conference schedule, the 2 drubbings by Texas represent 40% of their loss total for the season, and probably every game from here on out is winnable for them except their match at Kansas. Not to mention 4th in conference and maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't exactly compare A&M's basketball tradition to OU's. (even the OU history I didn't apparently make up today)

Realistically, this year's Big 12 is Texas, Kansas, and everyone else. That's a known. Should we have lost to Texas last night? No doubt. But last night was definitely one of those "how we lost" moments. There were some things that were just silly. Balbay looked like he was running layup drills in practice for a while last night going coast to coast on us and no one stopping the ball in transition. I know we don't have size, and "talent" is mediocre right now. But there were some execution moments that I really questioned what was going on with this team. (Though, others did look promising. We did take care of the ball.)

It's really not so much about this year's team to me. It's the sequence of events that led to this situation and the fact that I don't exactly see the path in pieces we have currently to returning to the levels we've seen Sooner Basketball at in the past that really worries me. Fitz is doing what he can playing out of position. Clark looks like he's got potential. Outside of that, we've got a bunch of hard working guys, but no one I'd feel comfortable projecting as a guy that will anchor a better than mediocre team for the next few years. And I don't know what I've seen out of Jeff Capel's player development skills at OU to give him the credit that he'll make that guy appear from the current roster. Though I guess step 1 is to keep players first. Haven't exactly seen that either.

To sum this up, because I know I'm rambling a little, the thing that irks me about the whole Jeff Capel era at OU, is that it still feels like we don't know who exactly Jeff Capel is as OU's coach. He's been here 5 years, and yet it still feels like I have to guess and speculate to what he can or can't do, and I don't feel like I'm the only one. Which is why I think both objectively and personally that he should get another year, but isn't that odd? Isn't that a reason to question what he's doing here?

EatLeadCommie
2/10/2011, 06:35 PM
A million other reasons, huh? I'd like to see you get to a thousand.

He can't coach. (now multiply times a thousand or a million, whichever you prefer)

Eielson
2/10/2011, 08:07 PM
He can't coach. (now multiply times a thousand or a million, whichever you prefer)

You suck at counting.

bigfatjerk
2/10/2011, 09:40 PM
Look he's going to have a tough time the rest of this year. The last 2 years we will combine to win around 26 games or something like. Maybe 27 or 28 but it's in that neighborhood. That's really bad. Just to give you an idea. Hollis Price won 27.75 games in his 4 seasons as a player. We may not even win that many in the last 2 seasons.

I think Capel's biggest problem is following 2 great coaches like we just had at OU. His win percentage is at about 60% right now which is pretty good if you look at it compared to Bliss or MacLeod. But it's far worse than expectations should be at Oklahoma. It's far worse than his expectations as a coach also. I think if we have a 3rd similar year or show too slow improvement next year. Lets say we win 18 games and just miss the NIT, Capel is probably gone.

Eielson
2/10/2011, 11:36 PM
I really don't expect that this team would miss the NIT next year.

Blue
2/11/2011, 12:07 AM

And we used to get pissed off at 1st round losses. Doh!

Look, I fell asleep during the start of the 2nd half last night. We weren't coming back. The team is boring and they aren't very good. I'm willing to give him one more year to see if we actually get better, but damn it sucks that we suck so bad right now.

bigfatjerk
2/11/2011, 01:17 PM

This team would be lucky to win more than 10 games next year. I doubt the conference is this bad next year. Especially when Nebraska and Colorado are gone. This team may be nothing like next years team.

Eielson
2/11/2011, 01:21 PM
This team would be lucky to win more than 10 games next year. I doubt the conference is this bad next year. Especially when Nebraska and Colorado are gone. This team may be nothing like next years team.

Are you trying to be annoying, or are you really that dumb? This team will win way more than 10 games next year and I would bet any amount of money on that.

bigfatjerk
2/11/2011, 01:44 PM
Are you trying to be annoying, or are you really that dumb? This team will win way more than 10 games next year and I would bet any amount of money on that.

My point was this team isn't next years team. The schedule next year will actually be tough. Having to play Kansas and Missouri twice alone makes it tougher. But the most important part is next years team could have a complete roster change. We have no idea who will be on next years roster. I always expect big roster changes under Capel. They have been the norm under him.

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2011, 02:30 PM
hate to say it but I'd be surprised if we win more than 1 or 2 more the rest of the season...

now..we apparently have a red-shirt transfer post that is just tearing it up in practice...course that is going against the starters who are 12-11....not surprising..and 1 juco post coming in next yr...which seems to be our poor area..we'll see...I say he has 1 more yr...unless we just get hammered by 20 for the next 7 games...

kbsooner21
2/11/2011, 03:02 PM
He's done a hell of a job with this year's team. There's no doubt the guy can coach.

TopDawg
2/11/2011, 04:27 PM
I always expect big roster changes under Capel. They have been the norm under him.

Below are the minutes per game of the top 7 players each year under Capel. If they left the team after that season, it is indicated in parenthesis. Bold indicates it's a returning player (from a previous Capel team...thus no bold in 2007).

Michael Neal 28.9 (graduated)
David Godbold 27.9
Longar Longar 26.2
Austin Johnson 23.6
Nate Carter 23.5 (graduated)
Taylor Griffin 23.4
Tony Crocker 23.3

Austin Johnson 31.3
Tony Crocker 30.6
David Goldbold 28.8
Blake Griffin 28.4
Longar Longar 25.8 (graduated)
Taylor Griffin 21.9
Omar Leary 16.8

Blake Griffin 33.3 (left for NBA)
Willie Warren 31.3
Austin Johnson 31.3 (graduated)
Taylor Griffin 30.0 (graduated)
Tony Crocker 28.9
Cade Davis 14.6
Juan Pattillo 14.2 (left team)

Tommy Mason-Griffin 35.7 (left "for NBA")
Tony Crocker 32.3 (graduated)
Willie Warren 32.3 (left "for NBA")
Cade Davis 31.8
Tiny Gallon 24.0 (left "for NBA")
Steven Pledger 18.9
Ryan Wright 18.3 (graduated)

Cade Davis 35.2
Cameron Clark 33.5
Andrew Fitzgerald 31.7
Steven Pledger 31.3
Carl Blair 27.0
Nick Thompson 18.1
Calvin Newell 12.8

This is the first year that more than half of our Top 7 is new. In 08 and 09 we had 2 new guys and in 10 we had 3.

bigfatjerk
2/11/2011, 04:44 PM
I think that proves my point a bit. We've had 1 guy that started 3 years and only a few more that started 2 years.