PDA

View Full Version : FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Pages : 1 2 [3]

StoopTroup
3/10/2011, 12:30 AM

Eielson
3/10/2011, 12:47 AM
And if he is here for 2011-2012...you promise to quit this board?

BTW, you don't have a clue who Jay Upchurch is do you?

If anyone on this site has a definite contact with the OU Athletic department...it is him.

See top of page, on the left in the banner? See it say Sooner Spectator? Well, That is Jay's baby! He is the Editor of that publication!

You're saying Jay is the same person as David?!

Eielson
3/10/2011, 12:48 AM
How about if you wrong....you leave and if you are right....you leave.

I like this idea.

oumartin
3/10/2011, 12:48 AM
Jay dent even know kelvin was leaving. And he lives on kelvins sack

OU_Sooners75
3/10/2011, 12:50 AM
Jay dent even know kelvin was leaving. And he lives on kelvins sack

None of us saw Kelvin leaving.

StoopTroup
3/10/2011, 01:06 AM

Crimsontothecore
3/10/2011, 07:23 AM
tell you what....i'm wrong...i leave...
i'm right....u leave....
deal?

and u can take crimsontothecore and scott d with u....

Seriously, does your mom know you're up this late on the computer or did you slither out of bed real quietly as to not wake her?

I know, I know...craple, craple, craple.

Crimsontothecore
3/10/2011, 07:25 AM
I'm sorry, but calling him crapel is really lame and in no way clever.

Come on now, don't spoil his fun. The whole reason he joined this board was to use that word.

Boomer.....
3/10/2011, 08:09 AM
please explain why he deserves to be fired?

I think he deserves to be fired because he has drove this program into the ground and at an almost all-time low. There are investigations looming because of some of the players and coaches that he has recruited and hired. Our talent level is poor and there is not a whole lot of hope for the future. Those are just some of the reasons. Now I still do think that he will be back next season but he better make postseason play or else should be canned. I have been a Capel supporter but this program deserves better than what we have seen since Blake left.

C&CDean
3/10/2011, 09:12 AM
tomorrow is crapel's final game as ou's coach...
guaranteed...

Maybe, maybe not. However, it's your last day for a couple weeks around here hater.

C&CDean
3/10/2011, 09:14 AM
I think he deserves to be fired because he has drove this program into the ground and at an almost all-time low. There are investigations looming because of some of the players and coaches that he has recruited and hired. Our talent level is poor and there is not a whole lot of hope for the future. Those are just some of the reasons. Now I still do think that he will be back next season but he better make postseason play or else should be canned. I have been a Capel supporter but this program deserves better than what we have seen since Blake left.

You mean all of our 10s of fans who go to games? Meh. We don't deserve **** as basketball fans. We should probably just add women's field hockey and do away with men's basketball anyhow. More people would support it.

bigfatjerk
3/10/2011, 10:54 AM
Capel is not going anywhere. If you honestly believe he is then you haven't been paying attention to how Joe Castiglione works over the past 14 years... no way, no how is he giving "his guy" the boot at this point in the game, so to speak.

Wish what you want and read what you want to on Rivals or anywhere else... at the end of the day and at the end of this season, Jeff Capel will still be the coach at OU. At least for one more season.

Guaranteed.

Is this your opinion or based off of what people have told you?

stoopified
3/10/2011, 11:35 AM
I think he deserves to be fired because he has drove this program into the ground and at an almost all-time low. There are investigations looming because of some of the players and coaches that he has recruited and hired. Our talent level is poor and there is not a whole lot of hope for the future. Those are just some of the reasons. Now I still do think that he will be back next season but he better make postseason play or else should be canned. I have been a Capel supporter but this program deserves better than what we have seen since Blake left.Destroyed the program?Obviously you have an exaggerated opinion of what OU has been historically.There are only four coaches in OU history who have won at a better percentage.Yes the program has taken a hit the last two years BUT that was at least in part due to the fallout from KS PHONEGATE. Admittedly the fiasco of the Tiny,TMG class figures in there as well.If you don't think PHONEGATE figures in then please explain why Indiana is 28-65 with Tom Crean following their bout with Sampson PHONEGATE. If not for landing Blake and Jeff's coaching,recruitng skills OU would be in worse shape than they are.

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 12:22 PM
I think he needs another year, unless the NCAA is going to twist The Consigliere's arm.

pappy
3/10/2011, 12:32 PM
please explain why he deserves to be fired?

Cause he sucks as a basketball coach...good enough? He's had 1 good season and unless I'm mistaken he had a guy by the name of Blake Griffin who won player of the year on that team that any Middle School Bball coach in the country could have won games with.

This year has been awful. He has almost 0 talent and say what you want, but that's his fault. To be a good college coach you have to be able to recruit talent and he's not a very good judge of that.

Yesterday he beat Baylor but lets be honest Baylor came out flat and played flat the entire game and it had a lot to do with the fact that they found out just a couple hours before tip off that their best player (Perry Jones, will be a top 5 pick in the nba) had been suspended by the ncaa and would not be playing. Losing that talented guy has a whole lot to do with why OU was able to win yesterday.

If Capel some how pulls off a miracle and (it would be on par with usa hockey beating russia back in the 1980 winter olympics) win the big 12 tournament this year I'd still say fire him, because next season with Capel will be similar to this season with Capel a lot of losses and very few wins.

badger
3/10/2011, 12:32 PM
For any other Capel haters out there besides my husband, this is what I use:

Focus your cheering on the team and players. Think of how hard Cade and the guys work with all of the 5 a.m. workouts and being out-talented and shorter and not as strong as opponents, but still competing anyway.

It's not about the coach during this time of the season. It's about the players, who might be playing their last game at any moment. For coaches, there will always be more college basketball. For players, they get four years of eligibility.

Think of the players! Cheer for the players! :)

OUthunder
3/10/2011, 12:41 PM
I agree with Badger. If OU fires Crapel, then so be it. Regardless, I plan on cheering for them as best I can.

Boomer.....
3/10/2011, 01:48 PM
Destroyed the program?Obviously you have an exaggerated opinion of what OU has been historically.There are only four coaches in OU history who have won at a better percentage.Yes the program has taken a hit the last two years BUT that was at least in part due to the fallout from KS PHONEGATE. Admittedly the fiasco of the Tiny,TMG class figures in there as well.If you don't think PHONEGATE figures in then please explain why Indiana is 28-65 with Tom Crean following their bout with Sampson PHONEGATE. If not for landing Blake and Jeff's coaching,recruitng skills OU would be in worse shape than they are.

I understand your point talking from a historic standpoint but since the 80s OU has been one of the top 15 teams in the nation nationally. We have had the longest postseason streaks in the nation and now we have had back to back losing seasons.

pappy
3/10/2011, 01:53 PM
For any other Capel haters out there besides my husband, this is what I use:

Focus your cheering on the team and players. Think of how hard Cade and the guys work with all of the 5 a.m. workouts and being out-talented and shorter and not as strong as opponents, but still competing anyway.

It's not about the coach during this time of the season. It's about the players, who might be playing their last game at any moment. For coaches, there will always be more college basketball. For players, they get four years of eligibility.

Think of the players! Cheer for the players! :)

I for one am finally a Capel hater but I'm with you badger in that I still hope he does well so that the players will do well. Much like in Football I did not like KW and am thankful he has moved on to Indiana, but not once during the season did I hope he would do a horrible job and cause the players to lose.

While I want Capel to be gone at the end of the season...I will be watching and hoping we win every game the rest of the season.

That being said I hope we destroy Texas tonight!

BOOMER!!

badger
3/10/2011, 02:08 PM
:O Of course, it's always said that players win games and coaches lose them in college sports, so for many, just keep up with what goes on during football season, hehe.

:) Go Demarco go!

:mad: Fire Vulnerables!

:) Landry! Landry! Landry!

:mad: Kevin Wilson sucks!

;)

PhiDeltBeers
3/10/2011, 02:15 PM
Cause he sucks as a basketball coach...good enough? He's had 1 good season and unless I'm mistaken he had a guy by the name of Blake Griffin who won player of the year on that team that any Middle School Bball coach in the country could have won games with.

This year has been awful. He has almost 0 talent and say what you want, but that's his fault. To be a good college coach you have to be able to recruit talent and he's not a very good judge of that.

Yesterday he beat Baylor but lets be honest Baylor came out flat and played flat the entire game and it had a lot to do with the fact that they found out just a couple hours before tip off that their best player (Perry Jones, will be a top 5 pick in the nba) had been suspended by the ncaa and would not be playing. Losing that talented guy has a whole lot to do with why OU was able to win yesterday.

If Capel some how pulls off a miracle and (it would be on par with usa hockey beating russia back in the 1980 winter olympics) win the big 12 tournament this year I'd still say fire him, because next season with Capel will be similar to this season with Capel a lot of losses and very few wins.

What if we win the Big 12 Tournament and then go on to win that National Title. Then what?

:D

:pop:

pappy
3/10/2011, 02:23 PM
What if we win the Big 12 Tournament and then go on to win that National Title. Then what?

:D

:pop:

lol I might have to reconsider if that happens...The only way he pulls that off is if he has pictures of God sinning and God knows it and they worked out a deal. lol.

Eielson
3/10/2011, 02:49 PM
I think he deserves to be fired because he has drove this program into the ground and at an almost all-time low.

Do you not remember the team he inherited? That team wasn't any better than the team we have right now.

badger
3/10/2011, 03:29 PM
Do you not remember the team he inherited? That team wasn't any better than the team we have right now.

Eielson, not to play Devil's Advocate, but the team he inherited was the team that had the top-rated recruiting class in the country. His first task upon taking the OU job was trying to keep that class together. Remember Joe C. saying that he wouldn't release their letters of intent till the recruits at least talked to Capel first? :(

So, he didn't just inherit Kellen, Taylor, et al, he inherited the commitments of Scottie Reynolds, Dameon James et al.

And I am not sure if we should fault Capel for this, but WHERE did those LOI's get released to? Our BIGGEST conference rival! A team we scheduled as a non-conference matchup THAT VERY SEASON! raaaaaage :mad:

So please, don't forget the offseason when discussing how Capel's done at OU thus far.

GDC
3/10/2011, 03:56 PM

Because he didn't have the ability to keep Damion James and the other better players.

Boomer.....
3/10/2011, 04:02 PM

IIRC, Sampson's team still went to the postseason. Thats better than where we have been the last two seasons.

TopDawg
3/10/2011, 04:53 PM
IIRC, Sampson's team still went to the postseason.

Then promptly graduated Kevin Bookout, Terrell Everett and Taj Gray.

Boomer.....
3/10/2011, 05:52 PM
Crock and Taylor Griffin are proably better than the people on the team now.

Scott D
3/10/2011, 06:57 PM
IIRC, Sampson's team still went to the postseason. Thats better than where we have been the last two seasons.

that roster would consistently beat this roster handily.

THE-JROD
3/10/2011, 08:07 PM
I'm gonna give Capel one more year, if he dont produce next year, im gonna jump on this train to get his @$$ outta town!

OU_Sooners75
3/10/2011, 08:09 PM
I'm gonna give Capel one more year, if he dont produce next year, im gonna jump on this train to get his @$$ outta town!

What would your expectations of production be?

I would say top 5 in conference and a winning record overall. Something in the tune of 18 wins is what I am setting for next season or he loses his job!

I want our team to get into the NIT at least!

If he cannot lead us to 18 wins and the NIT, then he needs to go after next year.

Sooner74
3/10/2011, 08:11 PM
He has to go now. As seen in this game, he can't even get the players to buy into some fundamentals like driving to the rim.

Eielson
3/10/2011, 08:55 PM
Because he didn't have the ability to keep Damion James and the other better players.

Not being able to keep James and Reynolds is his fault, yet he gets no credit for bringing in Blake? I can see not keeping Capel around any longer, but it's hard to take some of you guys seriously.

Sooner13
3/10/2011, 08:59 PM
Blake was coming to OU no matter who the coach was.

Saul Good
3/10/2011, 09:01 PM
Perspective time. We now have people HOPING for the NIT. The NIT boys and girls. Say that out loud. I hope we can make the NIT next year. Not, I hope to make the big dance now that it's 68 teams (larger than ever) but instead we hope to be good enough for the consolation prize. Thanks Jeff!!

OU_Sooners75
3/10/2011, 09:29 PM
Perspective time. We now have people HOPING for the NIT. The NIT boys and girls. Say that out loud. I hope we can make the NIT next year. Not, I hope to make the big dance now that it's 68 teams (larger than ever) but instead we hope to be good enough for the consolation prize. Thanks Jeff!!

Go away dumas!

OU_Sooners75
3/10/2011, 09:31 PM
I am pretty sure all these posters here that are talking **** on Capel, were saying that he deserved his raise after he led OU to an elite 8 appearance.

Want to talk about fairweather fans....if it is going good, they applaud everything OU...if the going sucks, they want change and want it now.

Sad thing is, 99% of them probably cannot even point to Norman, OK on a map...let a lone know how to get to the LNC or Memorial Stadium!

yankee
3/10/2011, 11:00 PM

OK, much of the Capel criticism is deserved, but that is not. Players commit to schools because of the coaches, not the school.

Straz1999
3/10/2011, 11:15 PM
I am sure the Crapel comments will be in full-force tonight. Here's my perspective. This is a decent D-1 job in a major conference. The facilities from what I understand, are great. Capel has had 5 seasons here. Of those five, three of them have had losing records in the conference, and two of them have had an overall losing record. Three out of five years, the Sooners could not even sniff the NIT. Not the NCAA, the NIT. We still dont know the trouble that is going to come from the Tiny Gallon situation. There also is not much talent that seems to be coming in. There is no way that this team is that much better next year. Attendance is not even worth mentioning. It is pretty damn sad to see more Jayhawk fans at the Lloyd Noble than Sooner fans, no matter what the situation. With all this being said, would ANY coach feel like he should be back for another year? Who can honestly believe that their job is safe after reviewing this body of work?

Don't get me wrong, I could honestly care less whether or not they fire him this year or next, but I do want to see the program have some respectability on (and off) the court.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/10/2011, 11:25 PM

I would say top 5 in conference and a winning record overall. Something in the tune of 18 wins is what I am setting for next season or he loses his job!

If he cannot lead us to 18 wins and the NIT, then he needs to go after next year.

That would be my expectations for next year PLUS in addition I would have to believe that OU definitely would be ready to take it a step further the next year and be in the NCAA tourney.

OUNC06
3/10/2011, 11:26 PM
I am pretty sure all these posters here that are talking **** on Capel, were saying that he deserved his raise after he led OU to an elite 8 appearance.

Want to talk about fairweather fans....if it is going good, they applaud everything OU...if the going sucks, they want change and want it now.

Sad thing is, 99% of them probably cannot even point to Norman, OK on a map...let a lone know how to get to the LNC or Memorial Stadium!

You are attacking the messengers of truth because Capel's record is indefensible. Look at the last 25 years of Oklahoma basketball success. Oklahoma has excelled since the early 80s, and the only conference team with more success is Kansas.

In light of history Jeff Capel is a major failure by Oklahoma standards. You can make excuses for his failure, but Bob Stoops and all other great leaders know excuses are for losers.

THE-JROD
3/10/2011, 11:30 PM

You're thoughts are exactly in line with mine!

Top 4-5 conference, definitely has to be a winning record!, 18 wins is very reasonable and a great expectation to shoot for!, NIT would be better than nothin, but it needs to be a team that is on the bubble for the dance, for sure NIT. If that stuff dont happen, then just thank him for what he HAS done and send him on his way. I like the guy, but if he cant produce at Oklahoma then let him go and give him a shot somewhere else where he could possibly do well!

EnragedOUfan
3/10/2011, 11:38 PM
Man I hope Capel is gone next season. The man can't coach for crap. 2 back to back losing seasons is ridiculous. 0-3 vs Texas? Hate to say it, but it looks like we'll be in for our 3rd losing season next year if this man is on the side lines. He couldn't even lead/coach this team to the NCAA tournament last season, and last season we had a somewhat decent squad with Warren/Griffin. I've always enjoyed OU basketball, but these constant losses are killing our basketball program. If we could, I'd say lets bring Kelvin back. D@mn.........

bigfatjerk
3/10/2011, 11:43 PM
If we are top 4-5 in the Big 12 with 10 we should be a NCAA team. I don't see us being that good because of the motionless offense we run.

soonervegas
3/10/2011, 11:53 PM
I am concerned that going to the tournament twice in six years would be good enough for some of you.

THE-JROD
3/11/2011, 12:00 AM
I am concerned that going to the tournament twice in six years would be good enough for some of you.

Who ever said that was good enough?? Pretty sure the debate has been fire him now, or give him one more chance and another year. No one every said to keep him around cause he's taken us to the tournament 2 years outta 6

Collier11
3/11/2011, 12:16 AM
Cade Davis says,

"I'm trying to make my answer nice," said Davis, OU's only senior who played his final game Thursday night. "I'd say that that they're not true fans and they aren't really focusing on the core values of what this program is built on.

"I think that this team has showed character and competitiveness and togetherness throughout the entire year, and I think we've done things that people didn't think we could do. I think this team is better than what our record has shown.

"I know that doesn't go over too well with fans, and they want wins and results. But I think this year was a big step toward getting this program back to where we were two years ago. With the players that they have coming back and the guys they have coming in, I think the program and the university have something very special to look forward to.

"In regards to Coach, I値l stand up for him no matter what. He has my absolute utmost respect. I love the man to death. I think he's a tremendous coach, and I think he値l have no problems and no worries about keeping his job next year."

-- Guerin Emig

pappy
3/11/2011, 01:23 AM
Cade Davis says,

"I'm trying to make my answer nice," said Davis, OU's only senior who played his final game Thursday night. "I'd say that that they're not true fans and they aren't really focusing on the core values of what this program is built on.

"I think that this team has showed character and competitiveness and togetherness throughout the entire year, and I think we've done things that people didn't think we could do. I think this team is better than what our record has shown.

"I know that doesn't go over too well with fans, and they want wins and results. But I think this year was a big step toward getting this program back to where we were two years ago. With the players that they have coming back and the guys they have coming in, I think the program and the university have something very special to look forward to.

"In regards to Coach, I値l stand up for him no matter what. He has my absolute utmost respect. I love the man to death. I think he's a tremendous coach, and I think he値l have no problems and no worries about keeping his job next year."

-- Guerin Emig

I don't really care about Davis' opinion he was part of the losing too.

pappy
3/11/2011, 01:26 AM
There are some posters on here that wouldn't care if the head coach of the bball team had 0 experience and knowledge of the game of basketball...they would support him and say 1 more year (every year) simply because its the ou head coach...homers.

birddog
3/11/2011, 08:26 AM
There are some posters on here that wouldn't care if the head coach of the bball team had 0 experience and knowledge of the game of basketball...they would support him and say 1 more year (every year) simply because its the ou head coach...homers.

name some. you might as well get it out there.

Soonerjeepman
3/11/2011, 08:39 AM
Cade Davis says,

-- Guerin Emig

No offense but what would you expect Cade to say? I honestly thin he is a good guy...doesn't go crazy like Martin...of course the guys are going to love him...but he doesn't get paid to have his team love him.

Take the 2 tourney games....Baylor..wow..we played great...MOVED THE BALL, set picks...rebounded...the horns...same ol crap....I know sometimes shots fall and don't..but the team looked totally unprepared....just my 2 cents worth.

Boomer.....
3/11/2011, 09:02 AM
I don't really care about Davis' opinion he was part of the losing too.

**** off, dip ****!

Boomer.....
3/11/2011, 09:03 AM

I would say that these are reasonable expectations. I would like to see us get to the NCAA tourny but know we still don't have the talent level. A winning season and some sort of postseason play would keep his job.

Ton Loc
3/11/2011, 09:34 AM
What happened to all the reasonable expectations we had before the season? Anything happen this year that truly surprised anyone? The losses surprised you?

They finished right about where most knowledgeable people figured they would. Outside that loss the chaminade and tech I'm not sure what you're complaining about. We had a rag tag team that busted their asses the entire year. Capel did a good job coaching this year.

If they were going to fire him they should have done it last year. They didn't, and nothing that happened this year should have surprised them.

I think I'll take Cade's opinion over all the new d-bags in here.

C&CDean
3/11/2011, 10:10 AM
What happened to all the reasonable expectations we had before the season? Anything happen this year that truly surprised anyone? The losses surprised you?

They finished right about where most knowledgeable people figured they would. Outside that loss the chaminade and tech I'm not sure what you're complaining about. We had a rag tag team that busted their asses the entire year. Capel did a good job coaching this year.

If they were going to fire him they should have done it last year. They didn't, and nothing that happened this year should have surprised them.

^^^^^

This team actually exceeded expectations this year. The haters are pathetic around here. And to you pappy, yes, I am a homer. I'm much happier being one than you are being a POS whiney haterbitch.

The Maestro
3/11/2011, 10:13 AM
Well, this is the first time I have been on the basketball board in years...and as a lifelong Sooner I say good riddance to Capel. He has made OU basketball unwatchable. Sports = entertainment. THAT is not entertaining. Hell, I have jokingly said I would hire Paul Westhead or some Mike D'Antoni disciple to get OU back to run and gun, which = FUN!

College basketball, as a whole, is a shell of its former self. Players jumping straight to the NBA and now just staying one year has killed the game. I used to could name you the starting five's for the top 20 teams in the country. Now I can't name you the five best players in the country.

OU will always be a football first school. If the hoops program wants to have any interest, be INTERESTing!

As a coach, the bottom line is always winning and losing. Period. There is a reason Jim Tressel still has a job today. And Capel is not cutting it. He must not know how to evaluate talent, recruit well, develop talent and find a defined system so the team and the fans KNOW what OU basketball is about.

I appreciate Cade Davis sticking up for his team and his coach. But "togetherness" is also a quality of many things that don't involve winning basketball games, and that is what the OU basketball team is supposed to do more times than it loses games. There is enough tradition and the fan base is loyal enough to show up and make noise when the team is relevant. They aren't...and they aren't headed in that direction, either.

Capel had his shot...minus the greatest freak to come through Norman in decades he failed miserably. Thanks for the effort...here's the door. Capel apologists can dust off their "Bring Back Blake" and "Give the Colonel One More Shot" threads from days gone by...OU is about winning and it is time to find someone who can get that done. Capel had his chance.

The Maestro
3/11/2011, 10:15 AM
^^^^^

This team actually exceeded expectations this year. The haters are pathetic around here. And to you pappy, yes, I am a homer. I'm much happier being one than you are being a POS whiney haterbitch.

Just askin'...isn't that accepting mediocrity?

That's like some fat guy losing two pounds this year and saying it was improvement. The team is boring and unwatchable.

sooner518
3/11/2011, 10:32 AM
Take the 2 tourney games....Baylor..wow..we played great...MOVED THE BALL, set picks...rebounded...the horns...same ol crap....I know sometimes shots fall and don't..but the team looked totally unprepared....just my 2 cents worth.

how did they look unprepared? do you think Capel didn't hammer it into them to get the ball inside to Fitz? do you think he told them to settle for outside jumpshots instead of driving into the lane?

all the preparation in the world cant make up for the talent gap between UT and us. playing against an aggressive defensive team, that is miles ahead of you athletically, the game speeds up to where you're struggling to dribble down the court at times. there's no scheme or preparation that will make up for that despite what the jackholes on ESPN will tell you.

were we "prepared" for Baylor but "unprepared" for Texas? did we all of a sudden forget how to play in the span of 24 hours, or is Texas just bigger, faster, and more talented?

blame Capel for the talent disparity if you want, but this unprepared argument is just a fluff argument.

TopDawg
3/11/2011, 10:34 AM

I've heard differently. Where did you hear that he was coming to OU no matter who the coach was?

3rdgensooner
3/11/2011, 10:40 AM

I'm with Ton.

TopDawg
3/11/2011, 10:47 AM

For me, I'm not accepting mediocrity as much as I'm understanding mediocrity. Capel is the reason we are in this horrible two-season stretch because he made some terrible recruiting decisions. But Capel is also the reason we made it to the Elite Eight just a few years after our previous coach left us in a very bad spot.

(If you're going to say that Blake was the reason we made it to the Elite Eight then at least be consistent and acknowledge that TMG, Tiny and Willie Warren are the reason that we are in the his horrible two-season stretch.)

I feel like Capel will get things turned around, but I think it's unreasonable to have even expected that it would've happened this season. If it doesn't happen next season, then I say we move in a different direction. I dunno...to me it seems like he had one terrible recruiting class and it's had a two-year impact on us. To me, that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to fire him. The way things transpired, it would've been nearly impossible to recover this year...but if we don't start seeing signs of life next year, then it's time to move on.

C&CDean
3/11/2011, 11:49 AM

That's like some fat guy losing two pounds this year and saying it was improvement. The team is boring and unwatchable.

Here is where you haters completely miss it. You whiff.

Supporting Castiglione's decision to keep Capel (and I believe he will) is in no way, shape, or form "accepting mediocrity" or what some really dumbass haters say "being happy with a ****ty team." I call it supporting the program through thick and thin. When/if Capel gets it turned around, I can continue to support the program with a clear conscience. Everyone who called for his head cannot. I feel the same way about our POS football fans who rag on Stoops/Venables/Wilson/whoever coach all the time. They don't have a ****ing clue about what is going on within the program. They just want someone/something to point a finger at and blame because they didn't have fun watching their team last night. Even if we win they don't have fun. They find fault, or the pull the old "well in spite of Venables, the defense locked them down..." Meh. I hate haters.

AlboSooner
3/11/2011, 12:09 PM

Many people in the know, like Al Eschback, Deano and so on, say Griffin wasn't going to go to OU if it weren't for Capel.

I'm sure Blake would have started over Hansborough, in that NC-team North Carolina had.

The Maestro
3/11/2011, 12:16 PM
you haters

Easy with the sweeping generalization for all those that don't support everything 100 percent of the time.

Sometimes change is good. If Capel gets one more shot at it, fine with me. But the problem is his to fix or move out of the way so someone else can.

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 12:31 PM
It's not just about wins and losses. Although that's obviously a big deal. The fan support is going way down. It was way down this year and if we have another year with Capel even an NIT type year we won't have the fan support to keep his big contract. I feel we have to be a contender in the Big 12 next year for the top. Beat a Kansas and Texas at home or he's out because if we don't have the fan support there's not a good reason to keep his big contract.

badger
3/11/2011, 12:49 PM
ORU just got invited to some CIT postseason tourney... think if they'd take ORU that they'd also take us?

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 01:23 PM
ORU just got invited to some CIT postseason tourney... think if they'd take ORU that they'd also take us?

ORU has 19 wins.

Ton Loc
3/11/2011, 01:28 PM
Easy with the sweeping generalization for all those that don't support everything 100 percent of the time.

Sometimes change is good. If Capel gets one more shot at it, fine with me. But the problem is his to fix or move out of the way so someone else can.
You should have went this statement the first time. It is more rational and has the same general message without sounding like a giant turd.

Saul Good
3/11/2011, 01:29 PM
Go away dumas!

Bite me!

I was just pointing out that the current position of the program has people offering legitimate expectations/hopes for next season where we end up in a tournament that would have been disappointments dating back to the early 80's.

Im seeing a lot of over reactions as well as A LOT of rationalization on this thread. I was just trying to point out how far we have fallen/have to climb. Tough sh** if you don't like it (see the truth). I may just stick around longer now thanks to you and maaaaybe do it just to **** you off.

soonervegas
3/11/2011, 01:32 PM
Circa soonerfans 3/11/2012

"We need to give Capel one-two more years to see where this goes. We won 7 games in conference and we just got invited to the CBI tourney. We can't really expect a lot of wins in 2013 because we lose Blair, Franklin, Honore, Thompson, and Washington. But if he isn't a solid bubble team by 2014 then we need to look at things long and hard."

Guaranteed.

Ton Loc
3/11/2011, 01:35 PM
Bite me!

I was just pointing out that the current position of the program has people offering legitimate expectations/hopes for next season where we end up in a tournament that would have been disappointments dating back to the early 80's.

Im seeing a lot of over reactions as well as A LOT of rationalization on this thread. I was just trying to point out how far we have fallen/have to climb. Tough sh** if you don't like it (see the truth). I may just stick around longer now thanks to you and maaaaybe do it just to **** you off.

like anyone gives a rats *** what or why you are doing what you do. Put you on ignore or better yet - You don't get to come around anymore and that's that.

Yeesh - what's goin on around here.

C&CDean
3/11/2011, 01:56 PM

"We need to give Capel one-two more years to see where this goes. We won 7 games in conference and we just got invited to the CBI tourney. We can't really expect a lot of wins in 2013 because we lose Blair, Franklin, Honore, Thompson, and Washington. But if he isn't a solid bubble team by 2014 then we need to look at things long and hard."

Guaranteed.

Wanna bet? I'll bet there'll be more people going "fire crapel, he's a horrible coach" even if we make the NCAAs. We have a fairly large contingent here who would still bitch even if we won a BB NC. They'd find problems/fault/shortcomings. In general, the hater OU fans (and there's TONS of them) blow chunks.

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 02:00 PM

Guaranteed.

I know. We are barely 5 games within a winning record this year. Yet we have people here saying how great a team this was this year because it was expected to be worse. Not really. We were about where people thought this year. I expected us to be better than we were this year because I think the bottom of the conference is real weak right now. Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. We shouldn't lose to any of those type teams. I also thought Colorado coming into the season was going to be weak, but they are better than anyone thought coming in.

The bottom of the Big 12 next year will be us Iowa State, and Texas Tech. Everyone else will be getting a NCAA Tournament bid more than likely. And Iowa State has a lot of good players coming in via transfer. They may be fighting for a bid. We'll be picked 9th in the conference ahead of only Tech.

The Maestro
3/11/2011, 02:42 PM
You should have went this statement the first time. It is more rational and has the same general message without sounding like a giant turd.

If facing reality makes me a giant turd, I'll dance with it.

If it keeps me from typing "You should have went...", even better.

C&CDean
3/11/2011, 03:05 PM

Ah, "facing reality." That's it in a nutshell folks. We all have our own "reality." Unfortunately, many of yous' reality is wrong...

Ton Loc
3/11/2011, 03:25 PM

That's all good but one person pointed at you and everything changed. You read into what someone else wrote, thought it applied to you (self guilt), backed away from your original words and restated yourself in a more rational way that wasn't as jerky.

I was just pointing at a way to save yourself time in the future. Really though, which way do you view reality, the way you wrote it the first time or the second time?

TopDawg
3/11/2011, 03:34 PM
Wanna bet? I'll bet there'll be more people going "fire crapel, he's a horrible coach" even if we make the NCAAs. We have a fairly large contingent here who would still bitch even if we won a BB NC. They'd find problems/fault/shortcomings. In general, the hater OU fans (and there's TONS of them) blow chunks.

They'd bitch and moan that we don't score enough points in our wins. Or that we went 8 minutes without a FG even though the other team went 13 minutes without a FG earlier.

pappy
3/11/2011, 03:59 PM
He been fired yet? .... no news is probably bad news (bad news being he isn't fired)

pappy
3/11/2011, 04:00 PM
Sure is a lot of people bitchin' and moaning about people bitchin' and moaning on here

pappy
3/11/2011, 04:03 PM
**** off, dip ****!

looks like I hurt someones little bitty feelings here...you aren't his lover are you? I thought he was with miss oklahoma and not some fat gay guy.

Scott D
3/11/2011, 04:08 PM
I know. We are barely 5 games within a winning record this year. Yet we have people here saying how great a team this was this year because it was expected to be worse. Not really. We were about where people thought this year. I expected us to be better than we were this year because I think the bottom of the conference is real weak right now. Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. We shouldn't lose to any of those type teams. I also thought Colorado coming into the season was going to be weak, but they are better than anyone thought coming in.

The bottom of the Big 12 next year will be us Iowa State, and Texas Tech. Everyone else will be getting a NCAA Tournament bid more than likely. And Iowa State has a lot of good players coming in via transfer. They may be fighting for a bid. We'll be picked 9th in the conference ahead of only Tech.

nobody is saying how great this team was. people who realistically knew that this team was going to be bad weren't surprised by the record. pointing out that despite an obvious lack of talent this team fought in every game despite the fact they came up on the short end a lot. John Wooden would have been hard pressed to win more games with the talent on the roster.

one and done has killed the college game, point blank. there is no more building dynasties or having absolute consistency anymore. anyone waiting on this team to bring in the next Blake Griffin is fooling themselves, there is no next Blake Griffin. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Capel should have been recruiting the type of player that made his system at VMI run smoothly..instead he got caught up in chasing the ratings to "keep up" with Texas and Kansas.

as for the overpaid comments....give me a break, he's about middle of the pack in the conference for pay, and roughly the same on a national scale. Really, is anyone more overpaid in this sport than John Calipari?

Soonerjeepman
3/11/2011, 04:22 PM
how did they look unprepared? do you think Capel didn't hammer it into them to get the ball inside to Fitz? do you think he told them to settle for outside jumpshots instead of driving into the lane?

all the preparation in the world cant make up for the talent gap between UT and us. playing against an aggressive defensive team, that is miles ahead of you athletically, the game speeds up to where you're struggling to dribble down the court at times. there's no scheme or preparation that will make up for that despite what the jackholes on ESPN will tell you.

were we "prepared" for Baylor but "unprepared" for Texas? did we all of a sudden forget how to play in the span of 24 hours, or is Texas just bigger, faster, and more talented?

blame Capel for the talent disparity if you want, but this unprepared argument is just a fluff argument.

believe me I KNOW our talent is not good...Baylor isn't a slouch...not ut but no slouch. Just very frustrating to see sloppy play by the players the next day after great play....I was a HS coach...I get the player comparison...more than you know...and yes Capel is responsible for the disparity in talent.

oumartin
3/11/2011, 04:48 PM
everybody on here's been a coach.. surely we can find a competent replacement

Scott D
3/11/2011, 04:52 PM
I'm waiting on 87sooner to become the new head coach.

Soonerjeepman
3/11/2011, 04:59 PM
everybody on here's been a coach.. surely we can find a competent replacement

yes I have...obviously not at that level...only where I don't get to go pick the guys out of thousands I want...I get what I get..

Just sayin it's not rocket science...in my HUMBLE opinion at college it's all about recruiting....

here in KC they can't get their nose out of Self's b-hole...some radio guys actually said he could make UMKC (local mid D1 college like ORU) a powerhouse....WTH? KU get's top guys because it's KU...just like OU in football...the name Oklahoma opens a lot of doors...just KU in bball.

Did the team THIS yr do better with less talent than last yr..definitely...I'm sure Capel has at least next yr and maybe another if he improves next yr...

it will be interesting...to say the least...

OU_Sooners75
3/11/2011, 06:47 PM
You are attacking the messengers of truth because Capel's record is indefensible. Look at the last 25 years of Oklahoma basketball success. Oklahoma has excelled since the early 80s, and the only conference team with more success is Kansas.

In light of history Jeff Capel is a major failure by Oklahoma standards. You can make excuses for his failure, but Bob Stoops and all other great leaders know excuses are for losers.

The last 25 years don't mean squat right now. We have had to deal with a probation brought upon us by the previous coach. We had to endure selfish attitudes by some of our players. We have had to deal with an assistant coach that showed he had lack of NCAA rules, just a blatant disregard for them.

Now, with that said, yes, it does ultimately fall on Capel. He is the HMFIC. However, I do not think all these problems we have had are due because of him. I do think he has shown us his youth...he is only a year older than I am. However, I think he needs to fix the problem and I think he has...Now we just need to show a little patience while the solution is being worked out.

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 07:17 PM
one and done has killed the college game, point blank. there is no more building dynasties or having absolute consistency anymore. anyone waiting on this team to bring in the next Blake Griffin is fooling themselves, there is no next Blake Griffin. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Capel should have been recruiting the type of player that made his system at VMI run smoothly..instead he got caught up in chasing the ratings to "keep up" with Texas and Kansas.

He was at VCU but he is recruiting the type of players he had at VCU. But his record at VCU really isn't that impressive. He was about middle of CAA most years and then one year they won the conference. The year before he took the OU job his team finished 5th in conference. He averaged around 70 points a game with his offenses there. He's only had 3 20 win seasons as a head coach in his career. 2 at OU.

Scott D
3/11/2011, 07:19 PM
Ok you got me, clearly we should fire him and get Anthony Grant in here asap.

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 07:22 PM
Ok you got me, clearly we should fire him and get Anthony Grant in here asap.

Look I understand those that want to give Capel another chance. He's a good guy. I'm sure he's a good coach. But the fact is that OU's standards are higher than what Capel has produced. Next year will be a tough one for Capel if he's coming back because basically we have to be an NCAA type team or he's probably gone.

Blue
3/11/2011, 07:39 PM
I wanted Pelfrey, so I can't say much. Seems he's sucking at Arky too.

Scott D
3/11/2011, 10:29 PM
I'm sold really.....someone throw 10 mil a year at Tom Izzo

pappy
3/11/2011, 11:08 PM
If Capel is fired...I doubt we land a big name coach as the next guy to turn the program around and that's fine...We need some new blood running this team's show, big name or not...Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, John Caliparri and so on weren't big name coaches until they earned it. Maybe we'll find the next great nobody who becomes a somebody...but Capel isn't him.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:13 PM
Do you realize that Coach K was 38-47 after 3 years...im not saying Coach Capel is Coach K but if that is your rationale then Capel has def done enough to keep his job.

The guy went to a Elite 8 and put a scare in the eventual natl champ. Sure, the situation we got in this year and last was due to his not being able to judge character but I think this year has def proven he can coach

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 11:20 PM
Coach K is a different coach and was at a different school. This is after 5 years. And try to compare Coach K after 5 years. In Coach K's 4th and 5th years he made tournament runs showed improvement. If he like Coach Capel stunk his 4th and 5th years he would have been fired. Hell he probably would have resigned.

Eielson
3/11/2011, 11:20 PM
Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, John Caliparri and so on weren't big name coaches until they earned it

If it weren't for this post I would go on believing that we decided who the good coaches were at birth.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:23 PM
In general I would agree but you have to look at the situation...capel came into a bad situation with a stripped down roster that was 0% his fault and had the team in the tourney in year 2 and in the Elite 8 in year 3.

In year four he had 3 McDs AAs who everyone in the country wanted and then it all collapsed. Is Capel at fault for not being a better judge of character, absolutely, did he go out and get great talent, absolutely. He just got burned.

My personal opinion, we need to be a bubble team at worst and be highly competitive or he is out after next year, if we win 20 games he stays...just my opinion

Blue
3/11/2011, 11:32 PM
Coach K is a different coach and was at a different school. This is after 5 years. And try to compare Coach K after 5 years. In Coach K's 4th and 5th years he made tournament runs showed improvement. If he like Coach Capel stunk his 4th and 5th years he would have been fired. Hell he probably would have resigned.

Interesting quotes from Jalen Rose about Coach K today and that he only recruits "Uncle Toms." Lol. Seems to work.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:35 PM
I wonder how the black guys who play for Coach K feel about that...I cant stand that BS, just STFU with your dumb azz Jalen

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 11:39 PM
That roster looks a lot better now. Longar Longar, Austin Johnson, Tony Crocker, Keith Clark, Taylor Griffin, Nate Carter, David Godbold, and Mike Neal. I would take that type of talent right now. We don't even have half of that overall. Cade would still be the best overall player of those 2 teams most likely but nobody else on this roster really compares to that.

It's a myth that we had not talent coming in. Capel was also able to get a really solid point guard in Bobby Maze but didn't keep him after a year. Capel's biggest problem isn't what was left for him. It's that he hasn't kept his talent for many reasons. If you list the top 10 players in the Jeff Capel era, around 6 or 7 of those guys would be Kelvin Sampson left overs.

Capel's problem is the long list of guys he's recruited that haven't worked out for one reason or another. And he also ended up with players that didn't really fit his system too. TMG didn't fit the system at all. Gallon probably could have with work. Not just this year, but last year with TMG specifically. The last couple of years we've looked like a team without a real system.

OUthunder
3/11/2011, 11:40 PM
I wonder how the black guys who play for Coach K feel about that...I cant stand that BS, just STFU with your dumb azz Jalen

Racism oozing out with those comments.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:42 PM
I disagree...Godbold was average, Johnson was average, Clark sucked, and Neal was decent. Of that list Nate Carter was pretty damn good as was Taylor and Crocker. Longar got better under Capel, he sucked under Sampson.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:43 PM
Racism oozing out with those comments.

absolutely

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 11:46 PM
AJ was by far the best PG we've had under Capel. There's nobody else even close. Neal was hurt all of that year still averaged over 10 a game that year. Godbold was a great defender for the first couple of Capel teams. He didn't have great numbers, but he made some big shots. One against Baylor that was huge.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:48 PM
Godbold made a couple of big shots but wasnt a good player overall...AJ was not that good except his SR year which was under Capel fyi.

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 11:54 PM
Godbold made a couple of big shots but wasnt a good player overall...AJ was not that good except his SR year which was under Capel fyi.

I'm not saying that it wasn't under Capel. Here was my point, the reason Capel is having the issues he's having now is because his recruits are killing him not because of what Kelvin left him like you implied. There was a lot there that ended up building the Elite 8 team. It's what Capel recruited that ended up in the last 2 seasons.

Collier11
3/11/2011, 11:58 PM
Capel also recruited Warren who is in the NBA, recruited Blake who is a Star in the NBA, among others. Point being, I think we all attest he can recruit talent, its the character that has to be better.

Listen, this year he threw a team together cus TMG and Gallon left when they shouldnt have, and honestly so did Warren. There is some talent on this team, not a lot but there is some. We will see if they get better next year, if not, see ya, if so then he deserves to build on it IMO

Eielson
3/12/2011, 12:39 AM
That roster looks a lot better now. Longar Longar, Austin Johnson, Tony Crocker, Keith Clark, Taylor Griffin, Nate Carter, David Godbold, and Mike Neal. I would take that type of talent right now. We don't even have half of that overall. Cade would still be the best overall player of those 2 teams most likely but nobody else on this roster really compares to that.

It's misleading to simply list those players. You can't ignore certain things like the fact that Crocker was only a freshman at that point, and that Taylor was a sophomore who couldn't yet contribute much. Replace Neal and Carter with a freshman Blake (while I would certainly take Blake, that trade isn't all that lopsided) and you basically have the team that went to the NCAA Tournament and won their first round game. That shows how much those players improved (under Capel's coaching). Maybe it's just me, but I'm kinda excited to see what Capel can do with players like Clark, Osby, and Fitzgerald next year. This team will have talent, and I fully expect a return to the NCAA's. It amazes me that you guys think we will have some magical turnaround by hiring a mid-major coach.

stoopified
3/12/2011, 04:18 PM
Godbold made a couple of big shots but wasnt a good player overall...AJ was not that good except his SR year which was under Capel fyi.David was a yery solid player.I would go so far as to say that for the first three years of their careers Cade and Godbold were identical players.Cade seperates himself with much better senior year.

Scott D
3/12/2011, 04:49 PM

If you're going to use his first 5 years, be accurate. His first 5 years were at Army and he only got one NIT bid. So, to be completely accurate it took him 9 years to make it to the NCAA's. In fact, the year before he went to Duke he had a stellar 9-17 record.

OUNC06
3/14/2011, 01:31 PM
Capel is not going anywhere. If you honestly believe he is then you haven't been paying attention to how Joe Castiglione works over the past 14 years... no way, no how is he giving "his guy" the boot at this point in the game, so to speak.

Wish what you want and read what you want to on Rivals or anywhere else... at the end of the day and at the end of this season, Jeff Capel will still be the coach at OU. At least for one more season.

Guaranteed.

FAIL!!!

oumartin
3/14/2011, 02:29 PM
Jay is full of fail.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 02:38 PM

Guaranteed.

Heh. That was just 5 days ago. Can we neg you for that? :D

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 02:39 PM
I can confirm that he will be fired after the last game. The losing seasons, lack of fan support and the NCAA investigation will be the reasons why.

CONFIRMED. 95% OR BETTER, MY FRIEND.

badger
3/14/2011, 02:39 PM
"released from his contract," what a way to say "fired"

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031411aaa.html

Conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 02:53 PM
Okay Boren ole boy, Please tell me how this can be in Capel's best interests??

Scott D
3/14/2011, 03:01 PM
it allows him to get another job somewhere else with a fresh start ;)

sooner518
3/14/2011, 03:03 PM
wow i am surprised. i was WAY wrong on this one. its kind of a relief to be honest though. now we can start over....

Mjcpr
3/14/2011, 03:05 PM
wow i am surprised. i was WAY wrong on this one.

Jay Upchurch?

Eielson
3/14/2011, 03:11 PM
I guess if we were going to get rid of him, this was the time to do it. This team was tourney bound next year.

GDC
3/14/2011, 03:16 PM
Thank god, now please hire Gillespie.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/14/2011, 04:36 PM
Yep, I was wrong. Much like this year's OU baseball team, I knew I couldn't stay perfect forever... ;-)

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 04:38 PM
Thank god, now please hire Gillespie.

Not to comment on who to hire, but I wonder if Joe C. already has someone in line or in the bag. He doesn't generally do something without knowing where he will end up...

OU_Sooners75
3/14/2011, 05:13 PM
Jay, you werent the only one wrong...but oh well. Either this move will benefit us or sink us further.

I hope for the former!

Eielson
3/14/2011, 05:26 PM
He changed his mind and now wants 25 pages. I'm sure you guys can do it.

Geez, you guys were sure determined.

How to say nothing in 32 pages (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148036)

Scott D
3/14/2011, 05:30 PM
In the irony of ironies, Capel's already being reported as a leading candidate at both Arkansas and Georgia Tech.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 05:30 PM

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 05:33 PM

Scott D
3/14/2011, 05:35 PM
Anderson's playing the 'not interested' card.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 05:40 PM