PDA

View Full Version : FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Pages : 1 [2] 3

TopDawg
2/11/2011, 05:56 PM
Well that's not what you said. You said that big roster changes are the norm under Capel. I don't think the facts really support that. He's had 4 off-seasons. Which 3 have seen big roster changes?

badger
2/11/2011, 06:19 PM
It really feels like we have a lot of turnover though, doesn't it. Even if the stats don't match, with the exception of the two Blake years, it seems like we've had a new team each Capel year to deal with. His first one, the pre-Blake year, we had tons of recruiting turnover. The post BG years, we had an exodus of Mickie D's after one season and a lot of fresh faces the next... so it seems.

Perhaps it just seems like a lot of turnover in starters, which I know is inevitable in college. Let's axe your top 7 down to a top 5 and bold the ones that are new to the top 5 list, shall we? I'll just omit 07 since that was Jeff's first year.

Austin Johnson 31.3
Tony Crocker 30.6
David Goldbold 28.8
Blake Griffin 28.4
Longar Longar 25.8 (graduated)

Blake Griffin 33.3 (left for NBA)
Willie Warren 31.3
Austin Johnson 31.3 (graduated)
Taylor Griffin 30.0 (graduated)
Tony Crocker 28.9

Tommy Mason-Griffin 35.7 (left "for NBA")
Tony Crocker 32.3 (graduated)
Willie Warren 32.3 (left "for NBA")
Cade Davis 31.8
Tiny Gallon 24.0 (left "for NBA")

Cade Davis 35.2
Cameron Clark 33.5
Andrew Fitzgerald 31.7
Steven Pledger 31.3
Carl Blair 27.0

Looks to be more of a trend - 3 regular returning starters his first two years, then 2, then only 1.

Collier11
2/11/2011, 06:22 PM
Capel has had to kick a lot of guys off or let them leave, thats where it is hitting us

bigfatjerk
2/11/2011, 06:44 PM
I'll say this one last time. Next year is the year for Capel. I really think we have to see a solid NCAA Tournament type season or he'll be gone. I'm not completely sure if making the NIT is good enough for next year.

Eielson
2/11/2011, 07:33 PM
This is college basketball, guys. Of course there is gonna be turnover.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/12/2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not ready to push Capel for coach of the year just yet but he has done a good job with the roster that we have.

I do think he is at least partially responsible for the hole that the program is in resulting from TMG and Gallon. I also think Taylor Griffin was probably more instrumental in recruiting Blake than was Capel so I can't give him all of the credit there. I see the roster we have now and there is about as little talent as I've seen in memory. Most of the talent we have are freshman and Sophs.

All that said, I like Davis and how hard he has played for four years but unless there is a suprise transfer of Fitzgerald, Pledger or Clark we SHOULD be a more talented and deeper team next year. A definite NCAA tourney caliber team? Probably not. A team that would be predicted to win about 18-19 games and be possibly an NCAA bubble team? I can see that.

Count me as one of those that isn't ready to run Capel out of town, nor do I think he is working magic. I see a program that bottomed out last year or early this year depending on your point of view that appears to be albeit slowly moving back in the right direction.

oumartin
2/12/2011, 09:28 AM
I'm not ready to run Capel off but how much longer until Terry Evans gets a look by bigger programs? Was he looked as a replacement when Sampson bolted?

Collier11
2/12/2011, 01:24 PM
He is 183-78 at UCO

unbiasedtruth
2/12/2011, 01:36 PM
Jeff Capel is OU Men's Basketball coach. Any fan that calls for his firing aren't really fans of OU, the program or the coach IMHO. So if you are calling for his firing why are you posting here? Does it make you feel better, bigger, smarter, more athletic?

In other words let the "powers to be" in OU's athletic department and administration take care of their business and you take care of yours, and I suggest you start supporting the program and the school through thick or thin.

Oh btw.... I was 6 years old when I attended my 1st OU football game, that was Bud's last year as a coach at OU. Just so you know......

Ardmore_Sooner
2/12/2011, 04:03 PM
Jeff Capel is OU Men's Basketball coach. Any fan that calls for his firing aren't really fans of OU, the program or the coach IMHO. So if you are calling for his firing why are you posting here? Does it make you feel better, bigger, smarter, more athletic?

In other words let the "powers to be" in OU's athletic department and administration take care of their business and you take care of yours, and I suggest you start supporting the program and the school through thick or thin.

Oh btw.... I was 6 years old when I attended my 1st OU football game, that was Bud's last year as a coach at OU. Just so you know......

If we were talking about John Blake, I'm sure your opinion would be different. I personally don't have an opinion either way, I'm just glad college baseball starts in 6 days.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/12/2011, 04:47 PM

I think if you didn't want Schnellenberger smellsofbourbon either on or under the first train out of town after making the OU program a joke in one season then there is something wrong.

I think there is a point where you have to make a change to improve a program. I don't think we are at that point, nor are we real close...yet. I do think you can be a true OU fan and think otherwise.

Collier11
2/12/2011, 04:50 PM
You can be a true fan and still criticize the direction of the program, I just personally dont believe that it is time to give up on Capel yet. He got us in this mess, he deserves to get us out of this mess IMO

oumartin
2/12/2011, 05:12 PM
I also believe that Capel deserves a chance but I get the feeling he'll bolt at the slightest chance. Even for a lesser program

Collier11
2/12/2011, 05:18 PM
He has already turned down other opportunities, doubt he will bolt now

oumartin
2/12/2011, 05:26 PM
He has already turned down other opportunities, doubt he will bolt now

He hasn't turned down jack since this mess at OU has started.

Collier11
2/12/2011, 05:29 PM
I know, he turned them down when his star was its brightest, I think that says a lot

oumartin
2/12/2011, 05:38 PM
I know, he turned them down when his star was its brightest, I think that says a lot

yeah, it means he thought he was gonna kick some butt at OU. Now that aint happening.

Collier11
2/12/2011, 05:52 PM
True but its only due to him being a bad judge of character, he cant blame it on anything else or anyone else

87sooner
2/12/2011, 06:04 PM
john blake got us in a mess....he did NOT deserve a chance to get us out....
what crapel deserves is a kick in the *** on the way out the door.....

yankee
2/12/2011, 07:28 PM
We just gotta grit our teeth through this season...This team has already exceeded most people's expectations for the year. They play tough, though it looked like they gave up in the 2nd half...First time in a while I've seen that from this team. You can tell these guys enjoy playing with each other. We're super young. All reasons to be excited for the future.

Fact of the matter is we're going to be much better next year...and if we're somehow not, then I am firmly off the Capelwagon.

Red Ada
2/12/2011, 07:49 PM
If you were not embarrassed by todays game.

Then you are not a Sooner Fan !

Capel has ruined this program.

I think some of you are poke fans.

That is why you want him to stay.

I felt like riding thru LNC on a Camel and swinging a whip.

yankee
2/12/2011, 08:03 PM

I would pay big money to see this.

Blue
2/12/2011, 08:35 PM

LMAO.

TopDawg
2/12/2011, 08:43 PM
If you were not embarrassed by todays game.

Then you are not a Sooner Fan !

Capel has ruined this program.

I think some of you are poke fans.

That is why you want him to stay.

Thanks, Jenni.

TopDawg
2/12/2011, 08:50 PM
It really feels like we have a lot of turnover though, doesn't it.

This year, yes. This year it felt like we had a lot of turnover. Guys leaving (too) early so that new guys that we haven't gotten a chance to know yet are thrust into big time roles.

But under Capel, this is the first year I've felt that way. In the past, I've felt pretty familiar with most of the guys giving us the most minutes.

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2011, 08:57 PM
Can we just end this season already? It's apparent this team doesn't want to play anyways.

Collier11
2/12/2011, 08:58 PM
Now that ^ is the crap that should be criticized

Eielson
2/12/2011, 09:58 PM
Can we just end this season already? It's apparent this team doesn't want to play anyways.

I disagree.

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2011, 10:24 PM
Apparently, some of your sarcasm-meters need some calibration...jeez folks.

OU_Sooners75
2/13/2011, 05:36 AM
The thing is, yeah, I expected this team to lose by 20 to that Texas team. But how many years of the program in the last 15 has that been the case? Or for that matter, how many times in that time frame has it been a reasonable expectation that we were going to lose by 20 to anyone (injuries, etc. aside)? Then how many of those years from the former question were years coached by Jeff Capel? I mean OU hoops has been to three Final Fours in the last 10 years. How many other programs have topped that? I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 10. No one used to fear highly ranked Texas and Kansas teams. We might have been underdogs, but we knew we had a shot. I don't think anyone thought we had a shot last night.

I don't think anyone expected the two teams taking the court last night to truly compete with each other, but plenty of Sooners expect OU to compete with its biggest rival, and for that reason I can understand why people are pissed. This isn't football, where coaching-wise it's Stoops and his bitches. Unlike the Clapper, Rick Barnes is a damn good coach. Self's a damn good coach. Drew at Baylor's a damn good coach. Turgeon's got A&M at a high level, and assuming he doesn't die of a heart attack any time soon, so does Frank Martin at K-State. And then the two (traditionally) weakest teams in Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the conference.

What makes this all unsettling to me is that I think most fans thought the Capel hire was a good one (the Coach K coaching tree curse aside). I still think Jeff Capel can coach, but just due to the circumstances that have transpired during his tenure, he may not be the best person to lead us back to competing at a high level.

(FWIW, my personal opinion is give Capel another year, because I still have middling faith that what he can do with next year is greater than an unknown coach that will be piecing together a last minute recruiting class. And let's not kid ourselves, the upcoming recruiting class is going to have a lot of bearing on where this program is going anytime soon.)

"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ***, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

Blue
2/13/2011, 05:40 AM
"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ***, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

KxggyXtCSWw

unbiasedtruth
2/13/2011, 10:22 AM
If we were talking about John Blake, I'm sure your opinion would be different. I personally don't have an opinion either way, I'm just glad college baseball starts in 6 days.

I think if you didn't want that old drunk smellsofbourbon either on or under the first train out of town after making the OU program a joke in one season then there is something wrong.

I think there is a point where you have to make a change to improve a program. I don't think we are at that point, nor are we real close...yet. I do think you can be a true OU fan and think otherwise.

the people who post on here saying to fire this coach or fire that coach, whether is John Blake, Howard Schellenberger, or hey even Gary Gibbs couple of more questions....

Are you a better coach than the person you are calling for being fired? If so, then why arent you on the sideline, in the dogout, on the bench? I'd bet most if not all of you are better, but it makes you feel better when you think you are, right?

And to quote Fleetwood Mac, "don't ask me what I think of you, you might not like the answer I give to you."

jkjsooner
2/13/2011, 11:36 AM
the people who post on here saying to fire this coach or fire that coach, whether is John Blake, Howard Schellenberger, or hey even Gary Gibbs couple of more questions....

Are you a better coach than the person you are calling for being fired? If so, then why arent you on the sideline, in the dogout, on the bench? I'd bet most if not all of you are better, but it makes you feel better when you think you are, right?

And to quote Fleetwood Mac, "don't ask me what I think of you, you might not like the answer I give to you."

I've got no dog in this fight, but I do have to respond to this post. We don't have to be qualified to be a coach to have an opinion. I'm by no means qualified to be President but that doesn't mean I'll withhold judgement on our President. I wouldn't know the first thing about making a movie but I can recognize a good one when I see it. I can go on and on...

bigfatjerk
2/13/2011, 11:39 AM
I've got no dog in this fight, but I do have to respond to this post. We don't have to be qualified to be a coach to have an opinion. I'm by no means qualified to be President but that doesn't mean I'll withhold judgement on our President. I wouldn't know the first thing about making a movie but I can recognize a good one when I see it. I can go on and on...

Exactly and I think even most posters would do a better job than John Blake did. That's really just how bad a coach he was.

Eielson
2/13/2011, 11:50 AM
Apparently, some of your sarcasm-meters need some calibration...jeez folks.

It probably would've been fine, but there are actually a handful of people on here who share similar views.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/13/2011, 10:21 PM

Wow. Do I have to be able to pilot a tanker to have an opinion on the pilot of the Exxon Valdez?

As for your specific examples:

Gibbs got a bit of a raw deal. I think he did a capable job given the circumstances of the time and certainly did a much better job than Blake and Smellsofbourbon.

Smellsofbourbon was a blow hard and a clown and couldn't get out of town soon enough.

Blake got a fair chance. Are you suggesting that calling for his firing was a mistake? If you are then I'll let you in on a secret. His replacement has done pretty good.

We aren't talking about criticism of some youth coach who is an unpaid volunteer. D-I coaches get paid upper 6 figure to 7 figure salaries to coach.

Collier11
2/13/2011, 10:26 PM
so you now have to have been working in that said field to be able to criticize it? Have you never criticized the President? Your local drive thru employee? The cleaning lady at your last hotel? Etc...this is a ludicrous argument, its like saying those of you who didnt go to OU cant be a fan of OU

oumartin
2/13/2011, 10:30 PM
Tramel says he's getting the axe tomorrow.

Eielson
2/14/2011, 09:10 AM

Right in the middle of the season?

87sooner
2/14/2011, 10:50 AM

it's valentines day....not Christmas morning...

badger
2/14/2011, 11:34 AM
I know this season has been hard... and I have thought in the past that Capel would be best suited elsewhere (and OU would be best suited with Capel elsewhere too), but for some reason, when reading a thread mentioning the name "Galloway," I thought back to that Sunny Galloway has gotta go thread from a few years back when we were a little down in the other bball.

I would just love it if Capel could take us to a Final Four like Galloway took us to the CWS after we started a "get rid of him" thread.

It probably won't happen, but wouldn't that be awesome :)

stoopified
2/14/2011, 04:30 PM
Tramel says he's getting the axe tomorrow.Thankfully Tramel hasnever been right a day in his life.

stoopified
2/14/2011, 04:43 PM
I know this season has been hard... and I have thought in the past that Capel would be best suited elsewhere (and OU would be best suited with Capel elsewhere too), but for some reason, when reading a thread mentioning the name "Galloway," I thought back to that Sunny Galloway has gotta go thread from a few years back when we were a little down in the other bball.

I would just love it if Capel could take us to a Final Four like Galloway took us to the CWS after we started a "get rid of him" thread.

It probably won't happen, but wouldn't that be awesome :)I have been pondering the exact smae parallels between Galloway and Capel sine this whole FIRE CAPEL nonsense started.Capel has alreadt got to the ELITE EIGHT so I don't think it is at all hard to think he can get us to a Final FOUR.Yeah I know he had Blake But Tubbs had WT for three years and only got 1 Elite Eight.He also had 3 first round draft picks on one team and only made 1 Final Four.Not putting Billy down,just pointing out NOBODY wins without stud players.

Every time I hear that if you take out the Blake years ,Capel sucks,I laugh because the reverse is true also.Of You take out the Bake-less years,Capel is awesome.

Talent wins games and last year Capel had to scramble just to fill a roster.At the time the TINY situation was hanging over OU like THE SWORD OF DAMOCLES,so he was lucky to get what we got in Newell.Tompson,Neal,Blair.Now that the TINY scenario has become more of a BOXKNIFE OF DAMOCLES,Capel will rebuild with better players.

BudsBoy
2/15/2011, 12:38 AM
BB is heading to the same situation as the FB team of the 90's. OU will be just ahead of TT and no one else. And I'd bet you TT gets rid of their coach at the end of this season.

bigfatjerk
2/17/2011, 03:25 PM
Yep Tech has a senior laden, very experienced team and are they stink. Pat Knight is going to be fired. Jeff Capel will get one more year. I'm not sure if he really deserves it.

badger
2/17/2011, 03:33 PM
Yep Tech has a senior laden, very experienced team and are they stink. Pat Knight is going to be fired. Jeff Capel will get one more year. I'm not sure if he really deserves it.

I think they hired Pat out of respect to his father, much like Wazzu once hired Mike Bennett out of respect to retiring Dick Bennett (I only can pull that outta thin air because he used to coach the Badgers and led em to a Final Four).

While it worked for Wazzu till Mike bolted for Virginia, Pat clearly doesn't have the coaching knack that his daddy does.

I think we can safely assume that barring another offseason (or on-season) embarrassment like last offseason, we are giving Capel another year at least and I would agree with that decision. Yes, I'll finally come out and say it, OU should give him another year. Capel has NOT earned another year, OU will be GIVING him another year.

King Barry's Back
2/17/2011, 07:49 PM
I think they hired Pat out of respect to his father, much like Wazzu once hired Mike Bennett out of respect to retiring Dick Bennett (I only can pull that outta thin air because he used to coach the Badgers and led em to a Final Four).

While it worked for Wazzu till Mike bolted for Virginia, Pat clearly doesn't have the coaching knack that his daddy does.

I think we can safely assume that barring another offseason (or on-season) embarrassment like last offseason, we are giving Capel another year at least and I would agree with that decision. Yes, I'll finally come out and say it, OU should give him another year. Capel has NOT earned another year, OU will be GIVING him another year.

You are mostly right about Pat Knight. He got that job because the TT AD is good friends with Bobby Knight. The TT AD is highly unprofessional (see Leach, Mike) and makes decisions based on that kind of non-sense.

I also say you are wrong about Capel being "given" one more year. I think he gets his walking papers. If it was my decision, he'd get the extra year, but it is not, and he will not.

OUstud
2/17/2011, 08:31 PM
BB is heading to the same situation as the FB team of the 90's. OU will be just ahead of TT and no one else. And I'd bet you TT gets rid of their coach at the end of this season.

Regarding your sig...if you had a quarter for every time OSU beat OU in football, you'd have $4. 16 times. (Edit: basketball is at 90 OSU wins (to our 126), so that's not what he's talking about). :pop:

Crimsontothecore
2/17/2011, 08:51 PM
You are mostly right about Pat Knight. He got that job because the TT AD is good friends with Bobby Knight. The TT AD is highly unprofessional (see Leach, Mike) and makes decisions based on that kind of non-sense.

I also say you are wrong about Capel being "given" one more year. I think he gets his walking papers. If it was my decision, he'd get the extra year, but it is not, and he will not.

Several weeks ago I would have agreed that Capel was gone after this season. Now, however, I would bet he's here next year. Back in December I would have argued against OU getting more than two conference wins but as much as it pains me to admit it, this teams improvement can only be attributed to good coaching. Having said that, this teams woes can also be attributed to coaching.
I just don't know anymore. Part of me wants him gone and part of me now wonders if a new coach would help or hurt right now. If there were some guarantee that Joe C. could hire a top notch coach to right the ship then I would say fire Capel, but the fact is OU just isn't a job that appeals to the upper crust of college coaches. If it were then joe C. would have secured one last time instead of settling for Capel.
I guess my point is that if Capel was fired now we would run the very real risk of ending up with a coach who is no better...and maybe even worse.

OUmillenium
2/18/2011, 02:15 PM

no way. hoops can turn around fast. lose 1 sr from this team. played well v nebraska, if we make fts and/or layups, we win. this young team is giving good effort and has improved. add 2-3 solid players and we are middle of conference next year.

typing w 1 hand due to surgery

One4OU
2/21/2011, 08:19 AM
The question is who would come here? If there is someone out there that is proven we go get them. If there isn't anyone then why remove Capel for more chaos. I dont believe Capel is a long term solution but if we can't seem to find a slam dunk hire then there is no reason to make th move to fire him now.

bigfatjerk
2/21/2011, 09:17 AM
I remember that same defense being used for John Blake. Fact is we have a really good basketball history. Our fans really undersell our program in all sports. But especially basketball and football. It's not that hard to get a good coach.

There's rumors on other boards that Coach Capel has basically been blackballed by AAU basketball coaches. That's not a good thing for recruiting. I don't see him lasting at Oklahoma we'll have to get a new coach sooner or later.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2011, 12:47 PM
First of all it might only to turn out to be barely but I think Capel has done enough to get one more year.

I'm not saying I'm buying all the hype on Osby but I do think he will likely be a big help. I remember when Nate Carter transferred to OU he was supposedly a big time impact player and the first year I thought he was a bit of a bust. To his credit I think Carter came back his last year and put together a very good season and on balance was a good get.

I would expect the returning players to at least marginally improve from this year. I also expect that while Davis has had a very good career at OU that Osby + (insert recruit here) will likely be better overall. How good depends on how much of the Osby hype is true and of course how good the other recruit is. If we are in a recruiting battle with places like St Bonaventure, Drexel and Rutgers then that tells you we probably aren't on the right track. If we bring in someone that some of the better programs are in on then that is a better sign.

It wouldn't break my heart to see us have a little less ambitous non-conf schedule next year. Although both programs are clearly improved I think removing Colo and Neb from the Big 12 and the prospect of posibly 18 conference games means we need to rack up some non-conf wins.

What are my expectations next year? I'm not 100% sure. I don't know that it takes 20 wins next year for me to think he at least has things moving in the right direction but 14-15 wins aren't going to cut it either.

I do think Capel can coach and succeed. The question is can he do it at OU? I really do think next year is make or break.

sperry
2/21/2011, 01:18 PM
First of all it might only to turn out to be barely but I think Capel has done enough to get one more year.

I'm not saying I'm buying all the hype on Osby but I do think he will likely be a big help. I remember when Nate Carter transferred to OU he was supposedly a big time impact player and the first year I thought he was a bit of a bust. To his credit I think Carter came back his last year and put together a very good season and on balance was a good get.

I would expect the returning players to at least marginally improve from this year. I also expect that while Davis has had a very good career at OU that Osby + (insert recruit here) will likely be better overall. How good depends on how much of the Osby hype is true and of course how good the other recruit is. If we are in a recruiting battle with places like St Bonaventure, Drexel and Rutgers then that tells you we probably aren't on the right track. If we bring in someone that some of the better programs are in on then that is a better sign.

It wouldn't break my heart to see us have a little less ambitous non-conf schedule next year. Although both programs are clearly improved I think removing Colo and Neb from the Big 12 and the prospect of posibly 18 conference games means we need to rack up some non-conf wins.

What are my expectations next year? I'm not 100% sure. I don't know that it takes 20 wins next year for me to think he at least has things moving in the right direction but 14-15 wins aren't going to cut it either.

I do think Capel can coach and succeed. The question is can he do it at OU? I really do think next year is make or break.

I think Capel can coach and succeed. The problem is he dug himself in such a hole through a combination of poor talent evaluation and some bad luck. If we had a good recruiting class coming in this year, we'd be in decent shape, adding to some solid building blocks in Clark, Fitz, Pledger, and Neal. Unfortunately we are adding another empty class. Not to mention that we are replacing 2 games that were games we had a real shot at winning (Colorado and Nebraska), with one very winnable game (Iowa St.) and 3 that are going to be really tough (KSU, KU, Mizzou). That means that even if our team improves next year, it's going to be tough to improve the overall conference record.

87sooner
2/22/2011, 07:12 PM
The question is who would come here? If there is someone out there that is proven we go get them. If there isn't anyone then why remove Capel for more chaos. I dont believe Capel is a long term solution but if we can't seem to find a slam dunk hire then there is no reason to make th move to fire him now.

ou is still a good job .....regardless what capel has done to destroy it....
there are competent coaches out there that would do a much better job than capel...
the longer he stays....the lower we go...
recruiting is going down the toilet...
we have our second losing season in a row....
no reason to delay the inevitable...

look no further than gregg marshall at wichita st.

87sooner
2/22/2011, 07:18 PM
I think Capel can coach and succeed. The problem is he dug himself in such a hole through a combination of poor talent evaluation and some bad luck. If we had a good recruiting class coming in this year, we'd be in decent shape, adding to some solid building blocks in Clark, Fitz, Pledger, and Neal. Unfortunately we are adding another empty class. Not to mention that we are replacing 2 games that were games we had a real shot at winning (Colorado and Nebraska), with one very winnable game (Iowa St.) and 3 that are going to be really tough (KSU, KU, Mizzou). That means that even if our team improves next year, it's going to be tough to improve the overall conference record.

what bad luck?
willie was no more than a 2 year player...he wanted to go to the nba..
gallon was PAID by taliafarro to attend ou....when it was made public....he had no choice but to leave..
tmg thought he knew more than coach....capel had no clue how to instill discipline.....and it wasn't just tmg.....crocker....a 4 year player....rebelled during summer workouts...and capel did nothing to get control of the players...
capel told allen and willis to hit the road...players HE recruited and gave scholarships to...

so explain to me this "bad luck" you speak of...

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2011, 07:19 PM
ou is still a good job .....regardless what capel has done to destroy it....
there are competent coaches out there that would do a much better job than capel...
the longer he stays....the lower we go...
recruiting is going down the toilet...
we have our second losing season in a row....
no reason to delay the inevitable...

look no further than gregg marshall at wichita st.

After the BS in baseball...I highly doubt JoeC will go after any more coaches directly from Wichita State.

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2011, 07:25 PM
If we are wanting to land a big name coach, which we should be able to do, then we would have to throw big time money at them, which we should be able to do.

Problem is, even the big name coaches may not get us turned around immediately. We are under a microscope when it comes to the NCAA, so no big time coach would want to show up, screw up just a lil, and make it worse.

I'll stand by my earlier comments. Since Capel has been able to duplicate the conference win total of last season, with far less talent and more youth, then we should give him at least one more year.

We have all got to remember, the mess he took over when he first got here. and the mess he had to deal with last year with those players.

He has a young undersized team this year that are playing with a lot of heart...and they seem to have been in almost every conference game this year, minus texas.

I don't see how recruiting is going down hill right now. It couldn't have gotten worse from what he had to deal with last year or his first year.

87sooner
2/22/2011, 07:44 PM
If we are wanting to land a big name coach, which we should be able to do, then we would have to throw big time money at them, which we should be able to do.

Problem is, even the big name coaches may not get us turned around immediately. We are under a microscope when it comes to the NCAA, so no big time coach would want to show up, screw up just a lil, and make it worse.

a "big name" coach is not a necessity...

I'll stand by my earlier comments. Since Capel has been able to duplicate the conference win total of last season, with far less talent and more youth, then we should give him at least one more year.

capel deserves to be fired...
he's produced 2 of the worst seasons in 3 decades...
the "far less talent" and "youth" are HIS doing....

We have all got to remember, the mess he took over when he first got here. and the mess he had to deal with last year with those players.

the "mess" he took over was a program with the longest post season streak in the nation....
the "mess" he had to deal with last year....was again...his own doing...

He has a young undersized team this year that are playing with a lot of heart...and they seem to have been in almost every conference game this year, minus texas.

you weren't watching the same games i saw....

I don't see how recruiting is going down hill right now. It couldn't have gotten worse from what he had to deal with last year or his first year.

minus cam clark and fitz.....there are potentially THREE starting spots open next season and capel has thus far convinced ONE juco player to come play for him next year...
it's getting worse...
wait till next year when we finish 7th or 8th in the conference and miss the tournament for the 3rd straight year...

oh...and don't be surprised if there are one or two or maybe even three players that suddenly decide not to return next year and capel has to scramble to find more bodies to hand out scholarships to field a team next year....

Eielson
2/22/2011, 07:56 PM
I talked to Castiglione today, and he says if we can get this thread to 10 pages then he'll think about firing Capel.

He changed his mind and now wants 25 pages. I'm sure you guys can do it.

OU_Sooners75
2/22/2011, 08:03 PM
a "big name" coach is not a necessity...

I know it is, but everyone around here thinks that is the quick fix.

capel deserves to be fired...
he's produced 2 of the worst seasons in 3 decades...
the "far less talent" and "youth" are HIS doing....

He is also building what seems to be a solid foundation. Sure, the foundation is not complete...but name one damn team that loses what we lost from last years team, at a difficult time in the recruiting process mind you, and is able to be a very competitive team with a bunch of role players.

The far less talent and youth may be credited to him but it is not solely his doing, but when TG, TMG, and WW left this team, it gave far less time for him to gain recruits to fill those voids. The players that left are part of the problem too.

the "mess" he took over was a program with the longest post season streak in the nation....
the "mess" he had to deal with last year....was again...his own doing...

The mess was also when we had a coach leave this program on probation. We lost 2 or 3 top recruits when Sampson left. KS also left very close to signing day for basketball, leaving very little time for Capel to land his recruits.

you weren't watching the same games i saw....

We were down 6 to A&M with less than 6 minutes left...yes, we end up losing by what 16 or so points. That is being competitive. We hit free throws and stop turnign the ball over, we beat both Nebraska and OSU...yes that is being competitive. The only game(s) that I can recall that was a blow out the entire game was agaisnt Texas.

minus cam clark and fitz.....there are potentially THREE starting spots open next season and capel has thus far convinced ONE juco player to come play for him next year...
it's getting worse...
wait till next year when we finish 7th or 8th in the conference and miss the tournament for the 3rd straight year...

And you think firing a coach will be the problem solver? The ship may be sunk right now, but IMHO, it seems to be gaining a little bouyance again. Fire capel after this season, we may end up losing more than just a few incoming players, we may lose some of the players we have now. Which means we are right back to where we are now, and maybe even further sunk!

oh...and don't be surprised if there are one or two or maybe even three players that suddenly decide not to return next year and capel has to scramble to find more bodies to hand out scholarships to field a team next year....

If this happens, and they blame the coaching, then I agree, it would be time to start looking for a new coach. But as I said before. Capel should get at least one more year to see what happens. I know this year and last year are disappointments...but sometimes in life you have to suffer those disappointments to actually build a better product or person.

If capel cannot put it together and get us improved next season, then yes, he needs to be fired. But not until then.

87sooner
2/22/2011, 11:35 PM
He is also building what seems to be a solid foundation.

how is he building a "solid foundation"?

Sure, the foundation is not complete...but name one damn team that loses what we lost from last years team, at a difficult time in the recruiting process mind you, and is able to be a very competitive team with a bunch of role players.

not many....maybe none....how is that relevant?
capel and one of his assistants created this situation...
but let's again refresh our memories what we lost....
willie warren.....no one expected him to return.....he was nba bound.
gallon.....paid by taliafarro.....had no choice ...
tmg......less than one season watching capel up close and he had enuf....decided to take his chances with the draft rather than play another year for capel...
willis.....told to hit the road by capel..
allen....told to hit the road by capel...

The far less talent and youth may be credited to him but it is not solely his doing, but when TG, TMG, and WW left this team, it gave far less time for him to gain recruits to fill those voids. The players that left are part of the problem too.

you're in denial...
the players that left were/are not the problem...
the problem is the man in charge...

The mess was also when we had a coach leave this program on probation. We lost 2 or 3 top recruits when Sampson left. KS also left very close to signing day for basketball, leaving very little time for Capel to land his recruits.

bliss left a "mess" for tubbs.....tubbs left a "mess" for sampson....
u know what....both started winning quickly and continued with great success...
can you imagine where we'd be today had we not had blake?
most likely capel would have missed the ncaa tournament 5 straight years...with multiple losing seasons....

And you think firing a coach will be the problem solver? The ship may be sunk right now, but IMHO, it seems to be gaining a little bouyance again. Fire capel after this season, we may end up losing more than just a few incoming players, we may lose some of the players we have now. Which means we are right back to where we are now, and maybe even further sunk!

sounds just like the john blake argument....
i am confident a competent coach will right this ship and restore the glory of a once proud program....
why fear change when the status quo is so bleak?

If this happens, and they blame the coaching, then I agree, it would be time to start looking for a new coach. But as I said before. Capel should get at least one more year to see what happens. I know this year and last year are disappointments...but sometimes in life you have to suffer those disappointments to actually build a better product or person.

If capel cannot put it together and get us improved next season, then yes, he needs to be fired. But not until then.

there is not one sound reason capel should be given another year....

bri
2/23/2011, 11:55 AM
"I was telling guys that we had three McDonald’s All-Americans, and we probably had the same record they do now. That’s actually a pretty good season." - Willie Warren

OUNC06
2/23/2011, 05:09 PM

I can't think of a good reason to bring him back. There is a very slim chance of Capel turning the ship around. It is much more likely the longer he stays the worse it gets.

Joe Castiglione may be waiting to see if the NCAA investigation cloud blows over from the Tiny Gallon incident. If the NCAA wraps up that investigation with little or no penalty it may give him an opportunity to hire a better coach. That would be the only valid reason to wait.

87sooner
2/23/2011, 05:15 PM
I can't think of a good reason to bring him back. There is a very slim chance of Capel turning the ship around. It is much more likely the longer he stays the worse it gets.

Joe Castiglione may be waiting to see if the NCAA investigation cloud blows over from the Tiny Gallon incident. If the NCAA wraps up that investigation with little or no penalty it may give him an opportunity to hire a better coach. That would be the only valid reason to wait.

i think the ncaa coming down on us would give joe c the out he needs to fire capel without paying out the enormous contract...
i don't think joe has the stomach to fire him if he has to pay out the contract..

badger
2/23/2011, 05:23 PM
Joe Castiglione may be waiting to see if the NCAA investigation cloud blows over from the Tiny Gallon incident

heh... he'll be waiting awhile then, because this just appeared in local media today/last night with the football offseason workout story:

The men's basketball team, which was on NCAA probation until May and is again being investigated, also reported secondary violations resulting from two assistant coaches placing two impermissible recruiting calls apiece and three violations related to official visits by prospects.

Well, at least we're out hitting recruits hard. In any event, BEAT A&M TONIGHT! (to the womens team: beat colorado tonight!)

OU_Sooners75
2/23/2011, 07:15 PM
how is he building a "solid foundation"?

not many....maybe none....how is that relevant?
capel and one of his assistants created this situation...
but let's again refresh our memories what we lost....
willie warren.....no one expected him to return.....he was nba bound.
gallon.....paid by taliafarro.....had no choice ...
tmg......less than one season watching capel up close and he had enuf....decided to take his chances with the draft rather than play another year for capel...
willis.....told to hit the road by capel..
allen....told to hit the road by capel...

you're in denial...
the players that left were/are not the problem...
the problem is the man in charge...

bliss left a "mess" for tubbs.....tubbs left a "mess" for sampson....
u know what....both started winning quickly and continued with great success...
can you imagine where we'd be today had we not had blake?
most likely capel would have missed the ncaa tournament 5 straight years...with multiple losing seasons....

sounds just like the john blake argument....
i am confident a competent coach will right this ship and restore the glory of a once proud program....
why fear change when the status quo is so bleak?

So basically, we should just start over again and have the same results we have again, right?

The John Blake argument? No...this is not even close to the John Blake situation.

John Blake did not have to deal with any restrictions on recruiting. He did not have to deal with 1/4 of your roster up and leaving the team. He did not have to deal with nearly the issues that Capel had to deal with since arriving on campus as a head coach.

The difference between the John Blake issue and Jeff Capel issue are pretty simple. Capel can actually coach, not so much for Blake.

So we went from this being solely Jeff Capel's doing to being Capel's and a past assistant coach doing.

What's next?

You are correct in one sense. Jeff Capel being the head coach, it is ultimately on him. However, believe it or not, there is only so much that any coach can do when it comes to a recruit that think he is above the game itself.

Ill stand firm with my stance. Since Capel has won the identical amount of conference games this year without all the McDonald All-Americans on his team, then he should be given one more year...and unless something tragic happens, you should just be comfortable with that. Because I really do not think Capel is being fired at the end of this season.

If I am wrong...I'll embrace it...because I would like to see our ship get right and in a hurry.

87sooner
2/23/2011, 09:45 PM
So basically, we should just start over again and have the same results we have again, right?

you're certain any coach we got would have the same results as capel?

The John Blake argument? No...this is not even close to the John Blake situation.

John Blake did not have to deal with any restrictions on recruiting. He did not have to deal with 1/4 of your roster up and leaving the team. He did not have to deal with nearly the issues that Capel had to deal with since arriving on campus as a head coach.

The difference between the John Blake issue and Jeff Capel issue are pretty simple. Capel can actually coach, not so much for Blake.

what have you seen that makes you think capel can coach?
i've seen nothing...
he's just as incompetent as john blake...
actually more incompetent...
at least blake recruited some pretty good talent and kept it on campus...

So we went from this being solely Jeff Capel's doing to being Capel's and a past assistant coach doing.

What's next?

You are correct in one sense. Jeff Capel being the head coach, it is ultimately on him. However, believe it or not, there is only so much that any coach can do when it comes to a recruit that think he is above the game itself.

Ill stand firm with my stance. Since Capel has won the identical amount of conference games this year without all the McDonald All-Americans on his team, then he should be given one more year...and unless something tragic happens, you should just be comfortable with that. Because I really do not think Capel is being fired at the end of this season.

i will not be "comfortable" until we are competing for a conference championship and winning our home games and not getting blown out by 20....
i have NO confidence in capel getting us to that point...

If I am wrong...I'll embrace it...because I would like to see our ship get right and in a hurry.

then you should embrace the idea of firing capel asap...

OU_Sooners75
2/23/2011, 10:12 PM
you're certain any coach we got would have the same results as capel?

what have you seen that makes you think capel can coach?
i've seen nothing...
he's just as incompetent as john blake...
actually more incompetent...
at least blake recruited some pretty good talent and kept it on campus...

i will not be "comfortable" until we are competing for a conference championship and winning our home games and not getting blown out by 20....
i have NO confidence in capel getting us to that point...

then you should embrace the idea of firing capel asap...

Apparently you failed to understand what I was saying.

If we fire Capel at the end of the season, we will in no way be better than we are today or this season.

We may suck balls right now, but it does seem Capel has this team playing as a team for the most part. Yes they have their issues sometimes. And yes there are times where they look undisciplined...but I think that has more to do with our youth and talent level.

Like I said, if we fire capel at the end of the year, we will be back to ground zero for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Not sure if you know this, but stability also recruits good players.

87sooner
2/24/2011, 12:19 AM
Apparently you failed to understand what I was saying.

If we fire Capel at the end of the season, we will in no way be better than we are today or this season.

We may suck balls right now, but it does seem Capel has this team playing as a team for the most part. Yes they have their issues sometimes. And yes there are times where they look undisciplined...but I think that has more to do with our youth and talent level.

Like I said, if we fire capel at the end of the year, we will be back to ground zero for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Not sure if you know this, but stability also recruits good players.

i understand completely...
you would rather keep the worst coach in the conference who has single handedly destroyed a great program....than move forward with change...
a chance to get back on the right track...
because you fear we will end up worse...
but you can't even see how truly terrible we are...
the same argument the john blake supporters used...
they couldn't see how bad we were....and couldn't imagine someone out there...especially an assistant at florida....could come in and win a national championship in 2 years....

TopDawg
2/24/2011, 09:25 AM
This situation is like the John Blake situation IF...

...John Blake had made it to a BCS bowl game

or

...Jeff Capel hadn't made it to the Elite Eight.

87sooner
2/24/2011, 09:43 AM
This situation is like the John Blake situation IF...

...John Blake had made it to a BCS bowl game

or

...Jeff Capel hadn't made it to the Elite Eight.

without blake griffin...capel would be ofer 5 in post season appearances....and he would have been fired last year...
capel is a terrible coach and an even worse recruiter...
if he returns next year..he will be 2 for 6 tournament appearances....
how long do you want to be suckage?

TopDawg
2/24/2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, in your imaginary scenario that bears no resemblance to reality, Capel is much more like John Blake.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/24/2011, 10:09 AM
There's rumors on other boards that Coach Capel has basically been blackballed by AAU basketball coaches. That's not a good thing for recruiting. I don't see him lasting at Oklahoma we'll have to get a new coach sooner or later.

Why, what's the deal?

So from a guy that travels out of the country a lot. What's the deal with OU bball? Why can't we keep players and why are we so undermanned against other teams? Is there something wrong with Capel's coaching style?

badger
2/24/2011, 12:02 PM
I am embarrassed for both of our teams right now. The OU men had a chance to get a big conference win on the road and blew it, and the OU women... uggggh, just read the blog post.

Both teams blew it big time last night. Yeah, they were both on the road, but they both should have won.

87sooner
2/24/2011, 12:07 PM
I am embarrassed for both of our teams right now. The OU men had a chance to get a big conference win on the road and blew it, and the OU women... uggggh, just read the blog post.

Both teams blew it big time last night. Yeah, they were both on the road, but they both should have won.

"should have won"? what are you smoking?
a&m is ranked 17 by the coaches....they whipped us in norman...
when was the last time we beat a ranked team....on the road?
a&m played a terrible first half....i think they actually disrespected/overlooked us..
they SHOULD have beaten us by 20+

badger
2/24/2011, 12:48 PM
Before the game, you're right, A&M should have won by 20. But by halftime, when we're playing as well as we were, we should have carried that momentum into the second half instead of shooting ice-cold.

The situation changed - by virtue of the fact that we were leading at halfitme, I really think we should have won last night, regardless of where we were playing. As for Aggie's ranking, they sure looked overrated last night (just like our women's team, unfortunately)

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2011, 01:27 PM
Before the game, you're right, A&M should have won by 20. But by halftime, when we're playing as well as we were, we should have carried that momentum into the second half instead of shooting ice-cold.

The situation changed - by virtue of the fact that we were leading at halfitme, I really think we should have won last night, regardless of where we were playing. As for Aggie's ranking, they sure looked overrated last night (just like our women's team, unfortunately)

got to disagree...we were NOT playing well...a/m was playing as bad as we were...40% FG in the first half? 3 /9 - 3's...a/m shot the same..we tanked it in the 2nd half...

missed lay-ups, Tyler Neal kept jacking 3's up even though he wasn't hitting...there was a reason he was wide open..

the women...wow...cu had 10 - 3's? unbelievable...

Crimsontothecore
2/24/2011, 09:40 PM
All I know is that it's a bad sign when we, as fans, start feeling good about close losses to average teams. I have heard several people talk about how they were pleased with our "effort" in several losses.
I refuse to take any moral victories.

OU_Sooners75
2/24/2011, 11:06 PM
i understand completely...
you would rather keep the worst coach in the conference who has single handedly destroyed a great program....than move forward with change...
a chance to get back on the right track...
because you fear we will end up worse...
but you can't even see how truly terrible we are...
the same argument the john blake supporters used...
they couldn't see how bad we were....and couldn't imagine someone out there...especially an assistant at florida....could come in and win a national championship in 2 years....

You are way too naive if you think Capel single handedly destory our basketball program.

The ship was sunk, thanks to Kelvin Sampson's probation.

Again, this is not even comparable to the John Blake issue. 1. It is two very different sports. 2. John Blake was just a lousy coach.

I think Capel is a very good coach...and so does JoeC.

We are very terrible. Our play and record shows it. But we are playing a lot more like a team this year than we did last year with the primadonnas we had on our team last year.

Just over 2 years ago, we were in the elite 8. So apparently Capel is not that bad of a coach. Yes he has had some very tough times upon him. But you are really naive if you really think he is the worst coach in the conference.

I would say Travis Ford (OSU) is far worse...not to mention the ISU coach.

You may be a debbie downer, but I think if Capel is here next season, we will see a much more improved team.

Now, if he isn't, you will not hear me crying foul. But if he isnt, and we suffer another 2 or 3 seasons like we have the last 2 seasons, you will hear me say I told you so!

Blue
2/24/2011, 11:18 PM
But we are playing a lot more like a team this year than we did last year with the primadonnas we had on our team last year.

As far as attitude, yes. As far as still having no offense, turnovers, no inside game, and jacking up ill advised 3's at every opportunity, no.

OU_Sooners75
2/24/2011, 11:26 PM
As far as attitude, yes. As far as still having no offense, turnovers, no inside game, and jacking up ill advised 3's at every opportunity, no.

We have no true leader on the team. We do not have any inside presence because we do not have a true big man.

It may only be an excuse, but I think a lot of our woes this year are because of the youth we have on the floor. Not because of our coaching staff.

We do have some guys that are committed to us that can and should correct that. One being Goff, from Hutchinson Community College.

We are in the mix with a few other players that can come in and make an impact.

Are we going to be vying for national championships within the next year or two...no...but Capel seems to be going after the right guys for our program.

87sooner
2/24/2011, 11:40 PM
You are way too naive if you think Capel single handedly destory our basketball program.

sunk eh?
could you detail the harsh treatment/penalties we received at the hands of the ncaa?

do you recall blake griffin signing with us and taking us to the elite 8?
do you recall 3 more mcdonald's all americans signing after that?

there was no "sunk"....there was no probation....
unfortunately....capel lost control....and now we are sunk...after 5 years of capel...we are sunk because of capel...

Again, this is not even comparable to the John Blake issue. 1. It is two very different sports. 2. John Blake was just a lousy coach.

well...somebody doesn't think capel is a "very good coach"...
a poster on another board with very good sources says that capel returning next year is 50/50 as of yesterday....

You may be a debbie downer, but I think if Capel is here next season, we will see a much more improved team.

if capel is here next year....we will not make the tournament....for the 3rd year in a row...

OU_Sooners75
2/24/2011, 11:45 PM
if capel is here next year....we will not make the tournament....for the 3rd year in a row...

Can I have Saturday's Lotto Numbers? I could really use the money!

87sooner
2/24/2011, 11:46 PM
We have no true leader on the team. We do not have any inside presence because we do not have a true big man.

It may only be an excuse, but I think a lot of our woes this year are because of the youth we have on the floor. Not because of our coaching staff.

We do have some guys that are committed to us that can and should correct that. One being Goff, from Hutchinson Community College.

We are in the mix with a few other players that can come in and make an impact.

Are we going to be vying for national championships within the next year or two...no...but Capel seems to be going after the right guys for our program.

we do not have "some guys" committed....we have a total of ONE...goff...
and goff is doing nothing in juco....
i will be surprised if he's even good enuf to get on the floor next year..
cj washington dominated in juco and he is not even division 1 quality....
goff will likely end up being a juco bust for capel like every one before him....

OU_Sooners75
2/24/2011, 11:48 PM
we do not have "some guys" committed....we have a total of ONE...goff...
and goff is doing nothing in juco....
i will be surprised if he's even good enuf to get on the floor next year..
cj washington dominated in juco and he is not even division 1 quality....
goff will likely end up being a juco bust for capel like every one before him....

I guess 2012 is just too far off, right?

OU_Sooners75
2/24/2011, 11:51 PM
87, you are one of the most negative posters that have been here in a long time.

Did you have a previous user name of NickZepplin?

Serious...The last two years have been very depressing...but it is not like our team is in such a big hole that there is no getting out of it.

Is Capel the guy? Who really knows...but if we go firing him after the end of the year, we will be stuck in this lull for a few more years.

Like I said previously, one more year...if he cannot place in the top 5 in conference, then get rid of him.

Firing a coach so close after giving him a new contract shows a lot to coaches that would actually consider coming here, that you are only granted 1 or 2 foul up seasons in a row and you are done.

87sooner
2/25/2011, 12:13 AM
87, you are one of the most negative posters that have been here in a long time.

some people can put a shine on a turd....i'm not one of them..

Serious...The last two years have been very depressing...but it is not like our team is in such a big hole that there is no getting out of it.

Is Capel the guy? Who really knows...but if we go firing him after the end of the year, we will be stuck in this lull for a few more years.

you keep repeating this...yet you ask me for lotto numbers...

Like I said previously, one more year...if he cannot place in the top 5 in conference, then get rid of him.

Firing a coach so close after giving him a new contract shows a lot to coaches that would actually consider coming here, that you are only granted 1 or 2 foul up seasons in a row and you are done.

i've seen enuf..
and so have the many thousands of fans who no longer show up for games...

Crimsontothecore
2/25/2011, 12:18 AM

We are very terrible. Our play and record shows it. But we are playing a lot more like a team this year than we did last year with the primadonnas we had on our team last year.

Just over 2 years ago, we were in the elite 8. So apparently Capel is not that bad of a coach. Yes he has had some very tough times upon him. But you are really naive if you really think he is the worst coach in the conference.

I would say Travis Ford (OSU) is far worse...not to mention the ISU coach.

Now, if he isn't, you will not hear me crying foul. But if he isnt, and we suffer another 2 or 3 seasons like we have the last 2 seasons, you will hear me say I told you so!

Well, technically the ship has been sunk twice. The first time was clearly on Sampson's shoulders. But to his credit, Capel righted that ship. However, the ship we have watched sink last year and this year is solely Capel's.
Don't forget we won 53 games during the two seasons prior to 2010 so you can't seriously blame today's woes on Sampson.

Blue
2/25/2011, 01:23 AM
Is Capel giving any interviews? I haven't seen one. Or are people just not posting them? I'd love to hear his take on the state of the team.

Crimsontothecore
2/25/2011, 11:47 AM
I don't know if he's giving interviews but he does stand at courtside during games with a disgusted frown on his face that says "How the hell did we get this bad?" as if he's surprised at what he sees.

bigfatjerk
2/25/2011, 12:19 PM

Just look at the facts dude.

We have lost at least 5 games in a row 4 times under Capel. The last time we lost 5 straight before Capel was 1991 under Billy Tubbs.

From 1982-2006 we averaged less than 70 points 1 time. Under Capel we've averaged less than 70 3 out of 5 years.

We've only finished the season ranked once under Jeff Capel, 2009. In the Tubbs and Sampson eras we finished ranked 14 times.

Jeff Capel's conference record is 36-40(47.4%) over 5 years. Kelvin Sampson was 128-60(68.1%), and Billy Tubbs was 126-70(64%.) The last OU coach with a losing record through 5 seasons was Bob Stevens in 1963-1967 with a 26-44(37.1%) conference record. He didn't last a 6th year either

Jeff Capel's overall record is 94-66(58.8%) And it's probably only going down to end the season. The lowest it can go is 57%. Which is the lowest of any coach since Jon MacLeod in the early 70s. I don't even want to look at Jeff Capel's record taking out Blake's 2 years. These are just a few select stats I went through.

There's probably dozens that show just how bad we are. I don't like these numbers at all. I wish none of them were true, but fact is that we just aren't any good. Blake saved Jeff Capel's bacon or he would have already been canned because without Blake we would be well under .500 with his record by now.

badger
2/25/2011, 01:34 PM
So... who's going to the KU beatdown tomorrow to rush the court?

Rock Choke, just like Poke, (we're beating) K....U!

Mad Dog Madsen
2/25/2011, 04:32 PM
^^^That's the spirit!!! I've never stopped cheering for the men's b-ball team. Good or bad, no matter how tough it is, these guys are still Sooners!

...sooner
2/25/2011, 04:54 PM
So... who's going to the KU beatdown tomorrow to rush the court?

Rock Choke, just like Poke, (we're beating) K....U!

^^^That's the spirit!!! I've never stopped cheering for the men's b-ball team. Good or bad, no matter how tough it is, these guys are still Sooners!

:) i have faith!

StoopTroup
2/25/2011, 05:13 PM

badger
2/25/2011, 05:51 PM
Gonna need to airlift and drop a lot of Sooner Magic.....

http://www.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/071022-F-9999K-040.jpg

Sunflowers: Oh no, our one weakness --- red smoke that blocks our Kansas sunlight! Death is so painfully morbid and cloudy in a crimson haze!

:D The real reason they need to win is because it will be my only chance to see them all season. Same goes for the women on Sunday night, when they host Baylor.

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2011, 01:37 AM
I will archive this thread for the sole purpose of identifying the haters. Who wants to bet they're the same people who bitch every time OU doesn't score a TD on every offensive (and sometimes defensive) play?

Young people have ZERO patience. I've raised up 5 boys. I have patience. OU/Capel are gonna do great things. And when they do, all you ****wad haters are gonna be "well I told you so." Told me what? Blow me haters.

Where, oh where, is Dean tonight?
Why did he leave this thread all alone?
He stuck by the Sooners
and defended their head coach
They lost another and
Pffft
Dean was gone.

I'm not sure where the Infractions button is, but I'm sure he'll find it in short order.

Blue
2/26/2011, 02:02 AM
Where, oh where, is Dean tonight?
Why did he leave this thread all alone?
He stuck by the Sooners
and defended their head coach
They lost another and
Pffft
Dean was gone.

I'm not sure where the Infractions button is, but I'm sure he'll find it in short order.

Use the search and watch him predict 0-16 for the conference slate. :D

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2011, 10:03 AM
the ONE good thing this team does is fight til the end....

we've had bad D at times, bad O at times, bad luck at times...honestly I'm not sure how much is "coaching" the actual game..(changing D, calling plays...) and how much is we just don't have enough quality D1 guys....WHICH that is on Capel...

I'll watch today and "cheer" from my living room...but I really doubt OU will pull it out..

SoonerGrant
3/2/2011, 09:50 PM
Topic.

87sooner
3/2/2011, 11:02 PM
joe c should be preparing the press release as we speak....
capel's days are numbered and that number is now <10

SoonerGrant
3/2/2011, 11:05 PM
3-10-2011.

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2011, 11:05 PM
the ONE good thing this team does is fight til the end....

we've had bad D at times, bad O at times, bad luck at times...honestly I'm not sure how much is "coaching" the actual game..(changing D, calling plays...) and how much is we just don't have enough quality D1 guys....WHICH that is on Capel...

I'll watch today and "cheer" from my living room...but I really doubt OU will pull it out..

Im trying to figure out is who quit fighting first tonight...coach or the players?

Blue
3/2/2011, 11:22 PM
I'd like to hear just one interview with Capel. Again is he not giving them or are we just not posting them?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2011, 11:31 PM
I never hear anything from him

87sooner
3/2/2011, 11:37 PM
what can he say?
just read the post game comments on soonersports...
he's totally confused/baffled why his team plays the way it does...
but he's been that way since blake left...
i've got news for you coach....your players have no faith in your ability to coach...

yankee
3/3/2011, 12:59 AM
what can he say?
just read the post game comments on soonersports...
he's totally confused/baffled why his team plays the way it does...
but he's been that way since blake left...
i've got news for you coach....your players have no faith in your ability to coach...

Do you know that for a fact, or are you just wildly assuming that? Has Capel lost the team?

Boomer.....
3/3/2011, 08:38 AM
I'm starting to think that Joe C. has no choice but to end it after this season. I have heard that he is going to get another season or two but we can't continue to spiral down like this.

OUNASH
3/3/2011, 09:22 AM
After last night, Joe C. has no choice. Its time for Crapel to go. I have been saying this all year. We are in a downward spiral and I dont see it getting any better next year. I think Crapel has lost this team.

Soonerjeepman
3/3/2011, 09:26 AM
just my GUESS...but if OU losses teh next 2 games (osu and 1st round Big12) as bad as we did to taco tech...he's done...

the team's DECENT barely performance against KU helped and if we had beat tech and then osu...he'd be 6 - 10 in conf...a SMALL improvement but an improvement...
we'll see....sure Joe C doesn't want to look like one that "pulls the trigger" quick...and I don't believe it will look like that...

What has Capel done?

Positive:
Blake and Elite 8...(some argue Blake was coming no matter what because of Taylor...maybe he stayed another yr because of Capel..who knows)

*brought in 4 McD AA...(both - and +)

Negative:
* brought in 4 McD AA...3 selfish players..1superstar

$$ issue with Tiny

had asst resign due to issue

horrible records

dismissed several guys (1 FR HIGH recruit this yr) granted these guys are big boys and did things that did not help themselves and every coach has a few guys who do that..

attendance is down

brought in 9 recruits...with 3-4 not worthy of D1 'ship...WHY NOT SAVE A COUPLE, bite the bullet this yr instead of grasping for straws...

Doesn't have any "big time" recruits coming in next yr

anything else?..just trying to make those 2 columns...- and +

NormanPride
3/3/2011, 11:28 AM
Don't renew.

If you want Capel gone, then vote with dollars. If you email Joe C and say that you're not going to pay until things change, then things will change. It's not like in football where there's 40k people waiting to grab up your tickets.

Soonerjeepman
3/3/2011, 11:42 AM
unfortunately I don't live close enough to get season tickets...

Thank goodness...cause I'd get season tickets to ALL the sports! LOL...I'd be divorced and broke...oops...divorced already...

ok I'd be broke.

From what I've seen on TV...only 4K are showing up...probably still a ton of season tickets paid because it's wrapped up in football season tickets as well...isn't it? that is what I heard..

Blue
3/3/2011, 12:57 PM
I hope Castiglione is asking other coaches what they think is going on and if they think the guy can coach. Guys like Bob Knight.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 12:59 PM
I wonder what else he is asking Bobby Knight?

badger
3/3/2011, 02:00 PM
Last night, we tuned in for the games in the second half and while the women's team has been very inconsistent lately, we were astonished at the margin that the men's team was behind by... the women were up about 20, the men were down about 20.

:( poor mens team.

OU_Sooners75
3/3/2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder what else he is asking Bobby Knight?

Wouldn't that be something...but if my memory serves me correctly, Bob Knight hated everything about OU....or at least when Sampson was here!

OU_Sooners75
3/3/2011, 04:01 PM
You know, after all I have said...after watching the game against Tech, I think Capel may be seeing his walking papers soon.

If so, it really won't bother me any...But I still think we will be sunk for at least 2-3 more years with or without Capel here!

87sooner
3/3/2011, 08:33 PM
You know, after all I have said...after watching the game against Tech, I think Capel may be seeing his walking papers soon.

If so, it really won't bother me any...But I still think we will be sunk for at least 2-3 more years with or without Capel here!

we are definitely sunk with crapel....he can't coach...he can't recruit....and he can't retain the players he does recruit...
he is the worst coach in the conference...

otoh...a new coach gives new hope....and a chance to get better...

nighttrain12
3/4/2011, 01:45 AM
we are definitely sunk with crapel....he can't coach...he can't recruit....and he can't retain the players he does recruit...
he is the worst coach in the conference...

otoh...a new coach gives new hope....and a chance to get better...

Crapel. LOL Actually Pat Knight is the worst coach in the conference, but Jeff is a close second.

oulucas
3/4/2011, 01:48 AM
I believe Coach Capel deserves one more year. Let's be honest. There was NO way he was going to do well with the talent he had this year. And yes, he did recruit the *******s he had last year that left (thank God). All that being said, give him one more year. He really didn't do that poor of a job this year with inferior talent. Just my 2 cents.

Blue
3/4/2011, 01:53 AM
Freakin baby TMG and Gallon for all i care. Atleast I woulda watched. I don't blame capel for all of it though. I blame the thug NBA 1 and done mentality. And Frank Stallone.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 03:05 AM
Crapel. LOL Actually Pat Knight is the worst coach in the conference, but Jeff is a close second.

Actually I think it is a dead heat between Travis Ford and Pat Knight.

Capel after last night is damn near right there with them though. :O

87sooner
3/4/2011, 08:10 AM
Actually I think it is a dead heat between Travis Ford and Pat Knight.

Capel after last night is damn near right there with them though. :O

you should go back and read all the crap you wrote in this thread about crapel being a good coach building a solid foundation that deserves a chance to turn it around

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 08:47 AM
I bet he gets one more year to get things turned around...

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:44 AM
you should go back and read all the crap you wrote in this thread about crapel being a good coach building a solid foundation that deserves a chance to turn it around

Don't get me wrong 87, I think he is a good coach...just not an elite coach.

After watching the game against Tech, I though to myself that was the worst game I have watched since the Chaminade debacle.

I really do think a good foundation is being set...but after witnessing the Taco Tech game, and the lack of effort from both our players and coaches...I'm just not too sure about him now.

I will defend Capel. I think he is decent and has some very good intentions here...I am just thinking that the he being from the Coach K tree is being a curse for him right now.

Since you are a noob around here, I wonder what you were saying about Capel when he coached us to an Elite 8 with Blake Griffin...You were probably yelling for him to get a lifetime extension and 5 million a year!

To me you seem like a fairweather fan and nothing more...if it is going good, you support the HMFIC...if not, you want a new one!

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:46 AM
I bet he gets one more year to get things turned around...

Oh don't say that, 87 will throw a tantrum like a little school girl!;)

LiveLaughLove
3/4/2011, 12:49 PM

After watching the game against Tech, I though to myself that was the worst game I have watched since the Chaminade debacle.

I really do think a good foundation is being set...but after witnessing the Taco Tech game, and the lack of effort from both our players and coaches...I'm just not too sure about him now.

I will defend Capel. I think he is decent and has some very good intentions here...I am just thinking that the he being from the Coach K tree is being a curse for him right now.

Since you are a noob around here, I wonder what you were saying about Capel when he coached us to an Elite 8 with Blake Griffin...You were probably yelling for him to get a lifetime extension and 5 million a year!

To me you seem like a fairweather fan and nothing more...if it is going good, you support the HMFIC...if not, you want a new one!

Let me answer that one for Chris.

I'm no fair weather fan, and he should be fired. Period.

I wasn't enamored of him before or during the Blake run. I was enamored of Blake. I thought he did a fair job coaching. Fair. Not good, and certainly not anywhere close to great. I STILL don't know what our style of basketball is!

When he got a raise and extension, I was not pleased, but also not surprised. When its good he should get the credit. Fine, he did.

But when its bad, he should get the credit also. Here's a news flash. Its bad. Very bad. He should be getting a pay decrease (I know they wont do that), and contract contraction.

You're a fan of his, that's great. I don't fault you for that or want to cast aspersions your way for having loyalty to him. You shouldn't cast them to people that don't care for Capel just because you do.

My loyalty (as is yours Im sure) is first and foremost to OU, and what I think (since these boards are for airing what we all think) is best for OU, not Jeff Capel or any other coach at OU. Whats best for OU is him being gone in my opinion. Now.

badger
3/4/2011, 02:05 PM
As I looked at the still-stickified 04 thread on Wayman, I realized something.

Capel coached us during the 100th year of the program and the Wayman tribute patch year.

If I recall correctly, the 100th year was the year before Blake arrived, and the Wayman tribute year was the one after Blake left.

So if Capel's seasons will be remembered as followed:

First season: 100th year of program
Second: Blake's first year
Third: Blake's last year (ok, ok... the "Elite Eight year")
Fourth: Remembering Wayman Tisdale.

How will this be remembered?

Alas... I can't think of anything. This year has absolutely nothing that will differentiate it from any other season, not for program history, not for remembering prominent players, not for team success, nothing.

UNLESS!

Unless... we win the Big 12 tourney!

C'mon, Sooners.... :O

87sooner
3/4/2011, 08:57 PM

yes....i admit....i've been a fair weather fan since bliss...

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 09:11 PM
Let me answer that one for Chris.

I'm no fair weather fan, and he should be fired. Period.

I wasn't enamored of him before or during the Blake run. I was enamored of Blake. I thought he did a fair job coaching. Fair. Not good, and certainly not anywhere close to great. I STILL don't know what our style of basketball is!

When he got a raise and extension, I was not pleased, but also not surprised. When its good he should get the credit. Fine, he did.

But when its bad, he should get the credit also. Here's a news flash. Its bad. Very bad. He should be getting a pay decrease (I know they wont do that), and contract contraction.

You're a fan of his, that's great. I don't fault you for that or want to cast aspersions your way for having loyalty to him. You shouldn't cast them to people that don't care for Capel just because you do.

My loyalty (as is yours Im sure) is first and foremost to OU, and what I think (since these boards are for airing what we all think) is best for OU, not Jeff Capel or any other coach at OU. Whats best for OU is him being gone in my opinion. Now.

My loyalty lies more with OU than Capel. I have said it multiple times...if they fired Capel tomorrow, I would not be upset. His last two seasons are very much grounds for dismissal. However, what type of signals would we be sending to future coaches that if you have back to back losing seasons at OU, you will be fired? That signal would be win or your done...no chances of failure.

No coach will worth their weight in gold would want to coach at OU with that type of signal looming over our program.

Hell, we gave John Blake 3 consecutive losing seasons before firing him...why not give Capel one more season to see what he can do with a season between turmoil?

87sooner
3/4/2011, 09:32 PM
My loyalty lies more with OU than Capel. I have said it multiple times...if they fired Capel tomorrow, I would not be upset. His last two seasons are very much grounds for dismissal. However, what type of signals would we be sending to future coaches that if you have back to back losing seasons at OU, you will be fired? That signal would be win or your done...no chances of failure.

No coach will worth their weight in gold would want to coach at OU with that type of signal looming over our program.

Hell, we gave John Blake 3 consecutive losing seasons before firing him...why not give Capel one more season to see what he can do with a season between turmoil?

there's no excuse for a losing basketball season at ou....not even one...
crapel is a terrible coach.....
but because of his crappy recruiting/retention....we're likely looking at another regardless of who is coaching..

you keep saying this but you really have no idea what you're talking about...
much like every other post of yours in this thread...

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:01 PM
there's no excuse for a losing basketball season at ou....not even one...
crapel is a terrible coach.....
but because of his crappy recruiting/retention....we're likely looking at another regardless of who is coaching..

you keep saying this but you really have no idea what you're talking about...
much like every other post of yours in this thread...

Yeah...I have no clue.:rolleyes: However, you resort to insults of our coach....great job dude.

Let me put it in a way you may be able to understand it.

If we are firing coaches because they have back to back bad or terrible seasons...no coach worth a damn would want to come here...especially right now, thanks to how far our program has fallen.

It doesn't matter if we pulled in Bob Knight, we are staring at a program that is going to take some time to correct. Be it behind Capel or someone else...this ship will not be afloat within the next season or two.

87sooner
3/4/2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah...I have no clue.:rolleyes: However, you resort to insults of our coach....great job dude.

Let me put it in a way you may be able to understand it.

If we are firing coaches because they have back to back bad or terrible seasons...no coach worth a damn would want to come here...especially right now, thanks to how far our program has fallen.

It doesn't matter if we pulled in Bob Knight, we are staring at a program that is going to take some time to correct. Be it behind Capel or someone else...this ship will not be afloat within the next season or two.

you have no clue....

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 10:15 PM

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:51 PM
you have no clue....

Okay smart guy...give me the clue then since you have all the answers.

Oh, I know, we should just fire any coach that has a bad season or two because that is what it is all about!

You're opinions, though justified in our poor performances the last couple of seasons, really have no basis other than that...Since it is going tough, we should fire our coach because he is not winning enough games.

Sampson won enough games, yet in doing so, put us on probation.
It hurt us slightly.

Capel comes in with a depleted roster. Got it going in his second season. He had a great 3rd season. He has 3 HS AA on the team his fourth season and they quit on him (for whatever reason). They all leave, at a very inopportune time (when recruiting was being wrapped up and right before signing). That leaves Capel very little time to put enough bodies on the bench to field a team. We are getting the results of that this year.
Now we will have a few extra scholarships to try and get some players that are better than what we have.

My only complaint of what happened after last season, Capel should have just ate the losses and not try to put warm bodies on the bench. He should have ate a few scholarships so he can have them for after this season. But he didn't.

Sometimes, Einstein, the Head Coach has to deal with a bunch of ****. Even if he created this or the assistant coach did, he is dealing with it. It may not look pretty on wins and losses right now. But hey, let's just fire him so the next coach (likely from a mid major) will have to come in and clear up a mess...something similar to what Capel had to deal with since he has been here, sans probation.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:55 PM
If he's got no clue....you should activate your PLB so that they can locate you and send in a rescue Team.

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/orsm09-fastfind-1.jpg

:D

How are you doing ST?

87sooner
3/4/2011, 11:08 PM

Oh, I know, we should just fire any coach that has a bad season or two because that is what it is all about!

You're opinions, though justified in our poor performances the last couple of seasons, really have no basis other than that...Since it is going tough, we should fire our coach because he is not winning enough games.

It hurt us slightly.

Capel comes in with a depleted roster. Got it going in his second season. He had a great 3rd season. He has 3 HS AA on the team his fourth season and they quit on him (for whatever reason). They all leave, at a very inopportune time (when recruiting was being wrapped up and right before signing). That leaves Capel very little time to put enough bodies on the bench to field a team. We are getting the results of that this year.
Now we will have a few extra scholarships to try and get some players that are better than what we have.

My only complaint of what happened after last season, Capel should have just ate the losses and not try to put warm bodies on the bench. He should have ate a few scholarships so he can have them for after this season. But he didn't.

Sometimes, Einstein, the Head Coach has to deal with a bunch of ****. Even if he created this or the assistant coach did, he is dealing with it. It may not look pretty on wins and losses right now. But hey, let's just fire him so the next coach (likely from a mid major) will have to come in and clear up a mess...something similar to what Capel had to deal with since he has been here, sans probation.

you lose at ou....you get fired....
john blake found that out...
there will be plenty of competent coaches willing to take the job when crapel is fired...

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 11:37 PM
there will be plenty of competent coaches willing to take the job when crapel is fired...
And Blake was given ample chances...in fact 3 seasons of losing.

Capel has had 2 consecutive. Like I said...if he is done at the end of the season...then we move forward...if he is back next season, then we move forward.

I'm not the one sitting at a keyboard whining and bitching about the season, that we knew was going to be bad.

If you were expecting a tournament run before the season began, then that is on you and just shows your ignorance.

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 09:19 AM

You can't be serious. Do you not remember the brick walls Joe C. ran into last time he searched for a new mens bball coach? Or do you think Capel was at the top of his list?

87sooner
3/5/2011, 09:35 AM
You can't be serious. Do you not remember the brick walls Joe C. ran into last time he searched for a new mens bball coach? Or do you think Capel was at the top of his list?

the process was never publicized...
so if you think you know how it went down...you probably don't...
ou is a great job...i have NO doubts there will be a pool of good coaches interested....

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 09:36 AM

It hurt us slightly.

I get your point but I really don't think firing Capel would "scare" off decent coaches. Like I stated in my last post, Joe C. had to hire Capel by default, not because he was the guy Castiglione went after from the get go. Like you, I'm ok if he's gone after this season and I guess I'm ok if he gets another year.

I do worry about what may happen to recruiting if he bombs again next year. Much like your scenario where good coaches won't come here if we fire to quickly, good recruits won't come here if we hang onto a bad coach too long.
I also believe that 3 losing seasons out of 5 doesn't qualify as having not been given a chance.

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 09:38 AM
the process was never publicized...
so if you think you know how it went down...you probably don't...
ou is a great job...i have NO doubts there will be a pool of good coaches interested....

So you are telling me that Capel was the coach Castiglione pulled out of that pool of good coaches wanting to come here?

Talk about not knowing what went down:rolleyes:

87sooner
3/5/2011, 09:39 AM
And Blake was given ample chances...in fact 3 seasons of losing.

Capel has had 2 consecutive. Like I said...if he is done at the end of the season...then we move forward...if he is back next season, then we move forward.

I'm not the one sitting at a keyboard whining and bitching about the season, that we knew was going to be bad.

If you were expecting a tournament run before the season began, then that is on you and just shows your ignorance.

i can't comprehend how some people think it's ok we suck just because we knew in advance we'd suck....

and i'm not just bitching about this season....
i would have fired capel after last season....
the future looks bleak if he is retained...

87sooner
3/5/2011, 09:40 AM
So you are telling me that Capel was the coach Castiglione pulled out of that pool of good coaches wanting to come here?

Talk about not knowing what went down:rolleyes:

i repeat...the process was NEVER publicized...
are you a regent? joe c's wife? boren?

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 09:57 AM
i repeat...the process was NEVER publicized...
are you a regent? joe c's wife? boren?

No I'm not, my opinion is based on common sense. You didn't answer my question. Are you saying Capel was Joe C's. choice out of a "pool" of interested coaches? And about this "pool", how do you know it existed?

are you a regent? joe c'c wife? boren?

87sooner
3/5/2011, 10:09 AM
No I'm not, my opinion is based on common sense. You didn't answer my question. Are you saying Capel was Joe C's. choice out of a "pool" of interested coaches? And about this "pool", how do you know it existed?

are you a regent? joe c'c wife? boren?

so common sense tells you there were no candidates and joe ran into a brick wall?

of course capel was joe's choice....he hired him....
i know it existed because a job opening like ou attracts plenty of attention......if you don't agree...i would say you don't appreciate/understand the basketball tradition we have.

i have heard thru the years that joe's list included geno auriemma....dana altman....and crapel....
there may have been others...
i'll admit crapel looked pretty good on paper...but his short track record made him a risky choice....

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2011, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=OU_Sooners75;3162357

.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY...I only have coached hs ball and my kids when they were young...but hell even I knew that...WHY didn't HE? There was NO pressure on him from the administration to win...(I understand)...so why didn't he just suck it up this yr...

now he has guys who he should dismiss to open up room...Nick T being one...but he won't...WHAT MESSAGE does that say about him and the program...what kid would want to play for a coach that might yank the 'ship if things didn't pan out? SO now we have another yr of bs....

Not saying he NEEDS to go, but this is on him..MAYBE 1 more yr...but with the same guys...(sorry don't buy Osby is the savior..and goff isn't all that)...I don't see a huge improvement.

call be a bandwagon fan (for the last 40 yrs) then so be it...

87sooner
3/5/2011, 10:17 AM
EXACTLY...I only have coached hs ball and my kids when they were young...but hell even I knew that...WHY didn't HE? There was NO pressure on him from the administration to win...(I understand)...so why didn't he just suck it up this yr...

now he has guys who he should dismiss to open up room...Nick T being one...but he won't...WHAT MESSAGE does that say about him and the program...what kid would want to play for a coach that might yank the 'ship if things didn't pan out? SO now we have another yr of bs....

Not saying he NEEDS to go, but this is on him..MAYBE 1 more yr...but with the same guys...(sorry don't buy Osby is the savior..and goff isn't all that)...I don't see a huge improvement.

call be a bandwagon fan (for the last 40 yrs) then so be it...

crapel has scholarships available this year and he can't get anyone decent to take them...
the word is out....crapel is a loser....talented players are looking elsewhere...
we have guaranteed starting minutes and the only player crapel has signed is a juco that's averaging about 5 pts/game...

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 10:53 AM
so common sense tells you there were no candidates and joe ran into a brick wall?

of course capel was joe's choice....he hired him....
i know it existed because a job opening like ou attracts plenty of attention......if you don't agree...i would say you don't appreciate/understand the basketball tradition we have.

i have heard thru the years that joe's list included geno auriemma....dana altman....and crapel....
there may have been others...
i'll admit crapel looked pretty good on paper...but his short track record made him a risky choice....

Big difference between "choice" and "first choice". nice try though.
Your opinion of how attractive OU is as a bball job is just that, your opinion. I remember several names being mentioned in the media as possible replacements for Sampson. They also all had the same answer...not interested.
Do you remember all the talk about what a hot up and coming coach Capel was at the time? do you remember how his name was on every schools list?
yeah, I DON'T EITHER. so for you to think there were so many other choices for Joe C. is just plain ignorance on your part.

87sooner
3/5/2011, 11:16 AM
Big difference between "choice" and "first choice". nice try though.
Your opinion of how attractive OU is as a bball job is just that, your opinion.

of course it's my opinion....and you have yours...as i said..you don't appreciate/understand the attractiveness of the ou basketball job...
the facilities...the tradition....and the administration....the pay....all make it a very attractive job.

I remember several names being mentioned in the media as possible replacements for Sampson. They also all had the same answer...not interested.

lots of people were throwing out few/calipari/wright/beilein/etc....
but there is NO evidence joe was looking in any of those coach's direction..it's not his style...
if capel/altman/auriemma were on the list....it's obvious he wasn't looking to pay an established winner big bucks to lure them from their current job....

Do you remember all the talk about what a hot up and coming coach Capel was at the time? do you remember how his name was on every schools list?
yeah, I DON'T EITHER. so for you to think there were so many other choices for Joe C. is just plain ignorance on your part.

and your opinion there were no options is ignorance on your part..
you don't know what joe's requirements for a new coach were...
from what i remember....joe used a consultant to come up with names...just like he did for stoops...
i doubt you know what lists crapel was on at the time...

billy tubbs came from lamar...
kelvin sampson came from washington state...
both were great coaches....
some people think you have to steal a coach from a top basketball school for $3 mil/year or you've failed to get a good coach...
there are very good coaches out there just waiting for the right opportunity....hopefully joe does a better job of doing his homework this time around.

one more comment...
i believe turgeon was also on the list....and would be our coach today if he hadn't been a gawk..

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 04:37 PM
of course it's my opinion....and you have yours...as i said..you don't appreciate/understand the attractiveness of the ou basketball job...
the facilities...the tradition....and the administration....the pay....all make it a very attractive job.

lots of people were throwing out few/calipari/wright/beilein/etc....
but there is NO evidence joe was looking in any of those coach's direction..it's not his style...
if capel/altman/auriemma were on the list....it's obvious he wasn't looking to pay an established winner big bucks to lure them from their current job....

and your opinion there were no options is ignorance on your part..
you don't know what joe's requirements for a new coach were...
from what i remember....joe used a consultant to come up with names...just like he did for stoops...
i doubt you know what lists crapel was on at the time...

billy tubbs came from lamar...
kelvin sampson came from washington state...
both were great coaches....
some people think you have to steal a coach from a top basketball school for $3 mil/year or you've failed to get a good coach...
there are very good coaches out there just waiting for the right opportunity....hopefully joe does a better job of doing his homework this time around.

one more comment...
i believe turgeon was also on the list....and would be our coach today if he hadn't been a gawk..

It's obvious you don't appreciate/understand what a great AD Joe C. is, and has always been. You believe he is a total dumb*** who had tons of great coaches to choose from and he picked a dud. I believe the truth is that he had very few choices unless he wanted to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience. I believe that several proven head coaches turned the job down and he had to go with a guy who was at least a head coach doing a respectable job.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between OU football and OU basketball. You want to say it's a great job that any coach would love to have but the truth (whether you know it or not) is that it simply isn't.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 05:01 PM
It's obvious you don't appreciate/understand what a great AD Joe C. is, and has always been. You believe he is a total dumb*** who had tons of great coaches to choose from and he picked a dud. I believe the truth is that he had very few choices unless he wanted to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience. I believe that several proven head coaches turned the job down and he had to go with a guy who was at least a head coach doing a respectable job.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between OU football and OU basketball. You want to say it's a great job that any coach would love to have but the truth (whether you know it or not) is that it simply isn't.

OU is a mid-level basketball job. It isn't elite, but it sure isn't bottom of the barrell. I would think it is attractive enough to get good coaches.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 06:07 PM
Well, it is official...Capel got OU very slightly improved in Conference play this year...with very little D-1 talent.

Yep....we should fire him.

Now we get to play Baylor first round...I think we can actually win that game. We do that, you can bet, Capel will not be fired after this season...or at least I would bet on it.

Breadburner
3/5/2011, 06:39 PM
What if he had The Griffins this year.....

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 06:51 PM
What if he had The Griffins this year.....

Well we don't so kind of crazy to even think that way!

Crimsontothecore
3/5/2011, 09:46 PM
Well, it is official...Capel got OU very slightly improved in Conference play this year...with very little D-1 talent.

Yep....we should fire him.

Now we get to play Baylor first round...I think we can actually win that game. We do that, you can bet, Capel will not be fired after this season...or at least I would bet on it.

Yes it's an improvement but don't go overboard. We still finished sub .500 in conference and in total wins/losses. I'm not ready to say it's a sign we are on the way up...but who knows.

Doesn't really matter because I think he kept his job regardless of todays outcome.

87sooner
3/5/2011, 10:47 PM

i said crapel looked good on paper.
but joe seems to believe he is some sort of prophet when it comes to picking coaches...
i hit the jackpot with a young assistant named stoops and he thinks he can do it anytime he wants...
yes...he picked a complete dud in crapel...
i don't believe joe wants to pay a proven winner the kind of money it would take to get one....
and you will see it again when crapel is fired...
he will go with a mid major head coach....an assistant...or a coach with baggage like gillespie....and he will get them on the cheap...

oh i understand the difference...
but you still don't understand how good the ou basketball job is..
explain to me why a coach wouldn't want to coach for a school that once had the nations longest post season appearance streak....2 final fours....elite eights...sweet sixteens.....conference tourney championships....once had the nations longest home winning streak...and earn over $1.5 million....
you have no clue...
btw...how old are you?

87sooner
3/6/2011, 08:14 AM

here are a few more thoughts for you to consider...

your "common sense" tells you "several proven head coaches turned the job down and he had to go with a guy who was at least a head coach doing a respectable job."

you do realize..as i said earlier....that joe utilized a consultant to find crapel? that consultant i believe was chuck neinas....the same consultant responsible for bringing joe a list that included bob stoops....
this consultant is highly paid....highly competent....highly respected in the business....

so your "common sense" tells you this consultant and our a.d. are such buffoons....they have no understanding of our basketball tradition or the attractiveness of the job....go out and approach/offer "several proven head coaches" who flat out turn down the job....
so then joe is forced to settle for crapel who is somewhere deep down on the list?

you really think neinas and joe are that incompetent?

i think your "common sense" has failed you...
i'm sure "several proven head coaches" were asked publicly by the media if they were interested in the ou job....
and they obviously said no.....
that does not mean they were ever on joe c's list...

neinas came up with crapel/altman/aurienna/turgeon and possibly others...
crapel looked great on paper and the rest is history...

Breadburner
3/6/2011, 10:02 AM
Well we don't so kind of crazy to even think that way!

Point being does the player make the coach or coach make the player(s)....

GDC
3/6/2011, 11:48 AM
If Castigleone plans to give Capel another year they should both be fired.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 01:14 PM

Crimsontothecore
3/6/2011, 08:01 PM
i said crapel looked good on paper.
but joe seems to believe he is some sort of prophet when it comes to picking coaches...
i hit the jackpot with a young assistant named stoops and he thinks he can do it anytime he wants...
yes...he picked a complete dud in crapel...
i don't believe joe wants to pay a proven winner the kind of money it would take to get one....
and you will see it again when crapel is fired...
he will go with a mid major head coach....an assistant...or a coach with baggage like gillespie....and he will get them on the cheap...

oh i understand the difference...
but you still don't understand how good the ou basketball job is..
explain to me why a coach wouldn't want to coach for a school that once had the nations longest post season appearance streak....2 final fours....elite eights...sweet sixteens.....conference tourney championships....once had the nations longest home winning streak...and earn over $1.5 million....
you have no clue...
btw...how old are you?

Judging from your posts I would guess my kids are probably older than you.

How old am I? old enough to know better than to argue any further with a fool.

Crimsontothecore
3/6/2011, 08:02 PM
here are a few more thoughts for you to consider...

your "common sense" tells you "several proven head coaches turned the job down and he had to go with a guy who was at least a head coach doing a respectable job."

you do realize..as i said earlier....that joe utilized a consultant to find crapel? that consultant i believe was chuck neinas....the same consultant responsible for bringing joe a list that included bob stoops....
this consultant is highly paid....highly competent....highly respected in the business....

so your "common sense" tells you this consultant and our a.d. are such buffoons....they have no understanding of our basketball tradition or the attractiveness of the job....go out and approach/offer "several proven head coaches" who flat out turn down the job....
so then joe is forced to settle for crapel who is somewhere deep down on the list?

you really think neinas and joe are that incompetent?

i think your "common sense" has failed you...
i'm sure "several proven head coaches" were asked publicly by the media if they were interested in the ou job....
and they obviously said no.....
that does not mean they were ever on joe c's list...

neinas came up with crapel/altman/aurienna/turgeon and possibly others...
crapel looked great on paper and the rest is history...

You don't have a clue kid.

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 08:19 PM
If Castigleone plans to give Capel another year they should both be fired.

OU basketball will cure and sleep disorders one may have.

87sooner
3/6/2011, 10:01 PM
You don't have a clue kid.

how does it feel to have less "common sense" than a "kid"/?

Sooner74
3/6/2011, 10:50 PM
Since they are both arguing. No one wins.

OU_Sooners75
3/7/2011, 02:34 AM
i can't comprehend how some people think it's ok we suck just because we knew in advance we'd suck....

and i'm not just bitching about this season....
i would have fired capel after last season....
the future looks bleak if he is retained...

No offense, but the reason you can't comprehend it is because no one is saying it is okay. But some of us understand what is happening. Some of us can comprehend that the season was going to be a long one.

While none of us think it is okay, we were prepared for it.

Going into conference play, I thought OU would win 2 games. We won 5 (which is more than what we won last year with 3 MCD AA's on our team).

Now, if next year we do not at least make the NIT or better, I would expect Capel to not be here for 2012-2013. (of course if the Mayans are correct, none of us will be) ;)

Chillax and just try to understand that though it is unacceptable for the two seasons we have had, sometimes it happens. Sometimes when you hire a new coach it will get worse before it gets better. And I think the worst is now over.

OU_Sooners75
3/7/2011, 02:40 AM
Point being does the player make the coach or coach make the player(s)....

Blake Griffin was a once in a generation collegiate player. It took us almost 30 year for us to get him from our last one (Wayman Tisdale).

Though we sucked balls this year, look at how hard these kids played this year. They could have given up and just thrown in the towel this season after losing to Chaminade...but they didnt.

That is a mix of the character of the players we have and our coach.

badger
3/7/2011, 11:29 AM
Just in case any of you are wondering what it would take to get rid of Capel, this blog right here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10873) has a pretty good overview.

If you don't like clicking links, in a nutshell, $2 million if you can't find cause. If you think Tiny Gallon is cause, it isn't yet, not till the NCAA punishes us in some way shape or form... and perhaps they think we're being punished enough by being left outta the postseason?

Also, apparently mens bball is no longer a revenue sport, if it ever was. We lost $1.7ish last year and $1.5 the elite eight year.

In essence, we are losing about the amount of money we are paying Capel annually. I guess this is why we paid $45 a head to watch KU beat us by 12, but only $15 a head to watch a heartbreaking womens basketball loss the next day. :(

:D In between the two losses, we also paid $4 a head (discount due to having womens bball tix) to watch the baseball team go up 17-nil in six innings :D

bigfatjerk
3/7/2011, 03:17 PM
Back to back losing seasons isn't good cause?

soonervegas
3/7/2011, 03:30 PM
Men's basketball is officially becoming a 2nd tier sport at OU. (Nice if you win, but nothing more than soccer, baseball, softball, gymnastics)

It may have always been, but Billy and Kelvin managed to fool us for 25 years.

badger
3/7/2011, 03:39 PM
Back to back losing seasons isn't good cause?

Not as defined in his contract. "Cause" apparently is

1- Knowingly participates in violations of material NCAA rules or regulations

2- Authorizes or knowingly condones such violations by others

3- Fails to report material violations within a reasonable time of Coach's knowledge of such violation

Three conditions... none of which have been met just yet. So, firing will cost $2 mil till then.

87sooner
3/8/2011, 04:17 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/GuerinEmig

On way to arena this a.m. still thought Capel would get 1 more yr. Got to arena, heard something from someone closer to Capel than Joe C. and immediately changed my mind. Consistent with what Murdock is reporting on @SoonerScoop. #Sooners

Boomer.....
3/8/2011, 04:23 PM
Just in at SoonerScoop.com, Jeff Capel is in limbo as communication has broken down between he and his AD. More on the Crimson Corner.

http://twitter.com/#!/SoonerScoop/status/45221538080886785

badger
3/8/2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think Capel has ever been the expert in communications between himself and anyone. Remember when Capel reportedly called to beg the whorn defector Dam James to stay, when in actuality it was his cousin BSing him on the phone?

Joe C. is notoriously easy to reach, responding to Sooner fan e-mails regularly. Capel? Not so much... with anyone, apparently.

oumartin
3/8/2011, 05:12 PM
He's toast.

WichitaSooner
3/8/2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think Capel has ever been the expert in communications between himself and anyone. Remember when Capel reportedly called to beg the whorn defector Dam James to stay, when in actuality it was his cousin BSing him on the phone?

Joe C. is notoriously easy to reach, responding to Sooner fan e-mails regularly. Capel? Not so much... with anyone, apparently.

If Jeff gets canned, this is a much bigger factor than most people know.... Especially when you consider the very personable and gregarious counterparts he he is surrounded with being at OU... In comparison it's very bad for Jeff.

badger
3/8/2011, 05:30 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Jeff is gone... not that I'm wavering in my opinion at all, which for the greater part of the year was that Jeff deserved to get canned, but that just recently, I thought that he would be gifted another year.

Joe C., if I could just push you a little bit further off the ledge on this one, you are not giving up your perfect hiring record. You hired the Wichita State baseball coach, remember? That counts, you can't say "Durr, gone in a few days," you HIRED Gene!

Therefore, this canning will not blemish any perfect record, because you don't have one.

And if it pushes you further toward making a decision, we are paying Jeff around $2 mil whether we can him or not, either for his next salary year or the buyout. And the program's apparently losing money regardless?

Gift him another year or don't... <sigh>

bigfatjerk
3/8/2011, 05:32 PM
It would be about 1.5 buyout next year.

soonervegas
3/8/2011, 05:40 PM
Not that I think Jeff is a bad guy or anything....but at some point you are responsible for the team you put together. In the real world, two awful performance years would lead to a change at the top in most companies.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 06:21 PM
anyone who didn't think this season would be a barrel scraping expedition was deluded.

87sooner
3/8/2011, 06:32 PM
anyone who didn't think this season would be a barrel scraping expedition was deluded.

what is your point?
knowing we were going to suck does not give crapel a pass for bringing us to this level of suckage...

you either want to continue with suckage....or u want to make a change so there is hope for the future...

if crapel is retained i expect us to suck again next year...so by your logic....since i know in advance of the suckage.....he must be allowed to return 12-13 as well...
this is referred to an endless suckage loop...

yankee
3/8/2011, 06:34 PM
He's toast.

Wooo, internet and twitter rumors FTL!!!!

Capel addresses future
3/8/2011 5:17:42 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- We finally have something on the record regarding the sudden Jeff Capel Watch.

Thankfully, it's from Capel himself.

After Oklahoma's Big 12 tournament practice at the Sprint Center this afternoon, Capel was asked to address the speculation he was in trouble.

"I don't get into the speculation stuff," he said. "If I'm going through it, I'm going through it. But it's nothing I'm really concerned about."

Asked specifically about today's SoonerScoop.com report that he and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione weren't communicating, Capel said: "Joe and I talk consistently and pretty regularly. We don't talk about if I'm secure or this or that…

"We talk about next year and what we have to do going forward. Those have been our conversations. There's never been anything about what someone has reported."

Asked if he feels OU's future is bright, Capel said: "I don't feel that way, I know it. I live it. That's why I don't deal with speculation. I'm there every day. I know what's going on. I know the progress that this group has made. I know the two new guys we'll have next year, and I know we're going to add some more. I more we're making the right progress.

"It's not just that I feel it. I know we are."

Nothing official from Castiglione. He undoubtedly will be asked to address Capel's after the Sooners' final game here in Kansas City.

In the meantime, a source close to Castiglione says the AD remains undecided on Capel's future.

badger
3/8/2011, 06:42 PM
That was Guerin Emig's blog... haven't seen anything else out there about it.

I wouldn't expect Joe C. to pull the trigger (if at all) till after the season's over, even if Billy G offered to take over our program on performance-based incentives only.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 06:53 PM
what is your point?
knowing we were going to suck does not give crapel a pass for bringing us to this level of suckage...

you either want to continue with suckage....or u want to make a change so there is hope for the future...

if crapel is retained i expect us to suck again next year...so by your logic....since i know in advance of the suckage.....he must be allowed to return 12-13 as well...

Honestly? College basketball is a waste as long as they allow 1 and done to exist. You don't build programs anymore, you can't afford to. Certain programs will get certain players because of what was established prior to 1 and done.

yankee
3/8/2011, 06:57 PM
That was Guerin Emig's blog... haven't seen anything else out there about it.

Probably because Capel has only talked to the Tulsa World so far.

badger
3/8/2011, 07:01 PM
The OP.com Pokes are chattering away about Kellen on their board right now... not much to see...

When I googled Capel's name, this interesting tidbit popped up from DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110128-oklahoma_s-jeff-capel-confident-about-turnaround.ece

Jeff Capel's dad visited recently. And being a former college and NBA coach, he saw nothing unusual about rolling out of the rack early Monday morning to accompany his son to a 6 a.m. workout.

They reached the Lloyd Noble Center 30 minutes early, stopped by Capel's office and went downstairs -- to find the whole team on the floor at 5:45 going through pre-practice drills.

"No way that would have happened last year," Oklahoma sophomore Andrew Fitzgerald said Tuesday. "There would probably have been a couple of guys late."

Things are improving... but are they improving $1.5 million annually worth, are this improving fast enough to justify another $1.5 mil next year?

Scott D
3/8/2011, 07:15 PM
and where is the 1.5 on the scale of men's coaching salaries?

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:16 PM
what is your point?

We are going to suck next year no matter who our coach is.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:18 PM
The OP.com Pokes are chattering away about Kellen on their board right now... not much to see...

When I googled Capel's name, this interesting tidbit popped up from DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110128-oklahoma_s-jeff-capel-confident-about-turnaround.ece

Things are improving... but are they improving $1.5 million annually worth, are this improving fast enough to justify another $1.5 mil next year?

Wow...now it is just about money? You better hope not...because Women's basketball is not a revenue sport either.

87sooner
3/8/2011, 07:22 PM
We are going to suck next year no matter who our coach it.

yes we will...and that's on crapel...
but i'm confident that with a competent coach....we will suck less than with crapel....and the rebuilding begins...and there is hope for the future...
if crapel returns....we will suck next year...AND the next...with no hope..
and attendance will be MUCH lower next year...
and national exposure will be nonexistent with no national games and no post season...

Scott D
3/8/2011, 07:24 PM
Wasn't it just merely 6-9 months ago when people were wishing for a team full of guys with heart and character to replace the one and done abortions that were McD's HS AA's? And when we get a team full of those types that just aren't quite there in terms of being finished product the song changes but yet remains the same?

Capel's biggest fault is that he got away from recruiting for a particular system of play and got enamored with ratings and the bs that comes with it. His job in my opinion has been to show he truly has learned from that situation and try to find a way to get back to what made him a coaching commodity in the first place.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:25 PM
yes we will...and that's on crapel...
but i'm confident that with a competent coach....we will suck less than with crapel....and the rebuilding begins...and there is hope for the future...
if crapel returns....we will suck next year...AND the next...with no hope..
and attendance will be MUCH lower next year...
and national exposure will be nonexistent with no national games and no post season...

You're a fool. Just accept that!

We are going to suck next season because will still be very young. I think we should be above .500 next season...but most likely wont be NCAA tourney good.

I think we should hire you to coach our team since all you can say is "crapel" and "we suck'.

Seriously....since you are a god of basketball...why not apply for the job? I mean, you should have us in the NCAA tourney and winning 20+ every year and you should lead us to our first national title.

What are you waiting for? You are such a great coach yourself...go for it!

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:29 PM
Also 87, you are incompetent in understanding that what has happened to our program was a mix of players and COACHES....not just CAPEL. Yes he is responsible for what has happened...but he is not totally at fault!

It seemed to me, that three kids were a cancer of our program (and about 99% of Sooners agreed with that thought last season...pretty sure you did too). They clashed with our coach. It seemed they wanted to be the stars of the team and be the go to guys or whatever. That is not the coach..that is the character of the player.

You know what transpired after they left. And yet, you apparently thought we were going to be successful this year. Like I said, you're a fool.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:32 PM
Wasn't it just merely 6-9 months ago when people were wishing for a team full of guys with heart and character to replace the one and done abortions that were McD's HS AA's? And when we get a team full of those types that just aren't quite there in terms of being finished product the song changes but yet remains the same?

Capel's biggest fault is that he got away from recruiting for a particular system of play and got enamored with ratings and the bs that comes with it. His job in my opinion has been to show he truly has learned from that situation and try to find a way to get back to what made him a coaching commodity in the first place.

Try not to say that outloud...87 will say you dont have a clue!

Scott D
3/8/2011, 07:35 PM
oh no...and to think I turned down the opportunity to have been a walk on at a rival school to be an "average joe student" at OU in the early 90s

87sooner
3/8/2011, 07:40 PM

his job was to win games....
he failed miserably...

Scott D
3/8/2011, 07:41 PM
john wooden wouldn't have had a winning record with this squad..give it up.

87sooner
3/8/2011, 07:43 PM

We are going to suck next season because will still be very young. I think we should be above .500 next season...but most likely wont be NCAA tourney good.

I think we should hire you to coach our team since all you can say is "crapel" and "we suck'.

Seriously....since you are a god of basketball...why not apply for the job? I mean, you should have us in the NCAA tourney and winning 20+ every year and you should lead us to our first national title.

the "you should apply for his job" response is as asinine as the "we knew we would suck" defense..
keep defending a pathetic coach...

87sooner
3/8/2011, 07:46 PM
Also 87, you are incompetent in understanding that what has happened to our program was a mix of players and COACHES....not just CAPEL. Yes he is responsible for what has happened...but he is not totally at fault!

you don't have to explain anything to me...especially since YOU are the one that has no clue..

It seemed to me, that three kids were a cancer of our program (and about 99% of Sooners agreed with that thought last season...pretty sure you did too). They clashed with our coach. It seemed they wanted to be the stars of the team and be the go to guys or whatever. That is not the coach..that is the character of the player.

it seems you have no clue...

You know what transpired after they left. And yet, you apparently thought we were going to be successful this year. Like I said, you're a fool.

wrong.....i said he should be fired after last season...
so who's the fool now?

87sooner
3/8/2011, 07:49 PM
john wooden wouldn't have had a winning record with this squad..give it up.

that is an excellent reason to fire our pathetic coach...

Scott D
3/8/2011, 08:00 PM
cry moar

badger
3/8/2011, 08:35 PM
and where is the 1.5 on the scale of men's coaching salaries?

Overall coaches (in 2010, via Forbes)
1- UK's Cali ($4 mil)
2- UF's Billy D ($3.3 mil)
3- KU's Self ($3 mil)
4- tOSU's Thad Matta ($2.5 mil)
5- L'ville's Pitino ($2.25 mil)
6- Coach K ($2.2 mil)
7- Whorn Barnes ($2 mil)
8- UNC's Roy ($2 mil)
9- UVA's Huggie ($2 mil)
10- UCLA's Ben Howard ($2 mil)
In the Big 12 (according to this site (http://www.big12hoops.com/2010/7/27/1589939/which-school-paid-the-most-per-win), stats from 2010)

1- Self ($3 mil)
2- Barnes ($2 mil)
3- Poke's Ford ($1.8 mil)
4- Mizzou's Anderson ($1.55 mil)
5- Capel ($1.5 mil)
6. Tech's Ex Pat Knight and A&M's Turg ($1.2 mil)

The rest were $750k to $950k.

Wow...now it is just about money? You better hope not...because Women's basketball is not a revenue sport either.
Yeah... what? NO! Is that what I'm implying? I hope not. Money just compounds the situation we're in, where we're paying a coach above average (the average was $1.3 mil in 2010, according to USA Today) and we have seen above-average success in the past... and attendance... and the stuff that happened during last offseason... and the losing... and more losing...

picasso
3/8/2011, 08:41 PM
Gottlieb said earlier tonight that Capel is gone.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 08:41 PM
ok so he's middle of the pack in the conference. We're barely paying him above average....and for all we know the last two years could have been a blip on the radar overall. But what I've learned from this thread is that 87 would want even John Wooden or Phil Jackson fired for having a losing record with a team that is short on talent.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 08:43 PM
Gottlieb said earlier tonight that Capel is gone.

any word on what Doug did with Capel's credit cards?

birddog
3/8/2011, 08:46 PM
any word on what Doug did with Capel's credit cards?

teh big lots!

Blue
3/8/2011, 09:28 PM
ok so he's middle of the pack in the conference. We're barely paying him above average....and for all we know the last two years could have been a blip on the radar overall. But what I've learned from this thread is that 87 would want even John Wooden or Phil Jackson fired for having a losing record with a team that is short on talent.

Point is we shouldn't be short on talent. This is his team. He recruited them. he coached them.

I couldn't care less if he's gone or not.

OUthunder
3/8/2011, 09:39 PM
See ya Crapel.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/8/2011, 09:56 PM
Anything official yet?

LiveLaughLove
3/8/2011, 10:04 PM
I want him fired. I wanted him fired after the second game of his first season. I saw things that day that have stayed with me, and that made me know (IMO) that he wasn't a very good x's and o's and basics type coach.

Of course, I knew he wouldn't be, and I still don't think he will be, but I hope Gottlieb is right.

It's not the record or the fiasco of Mickey D AAs or any of that other stuff. It's simply I just don't think he is a good coach at coaching. In bound plays, defending in bound plays, running sets, etc.

Someone tell me what the freak style we are! Please!

That is all. :)

GDC
3/8/2011, 10:29 PM
Dump Capel ASAP and scoop up Gillispie before Tech does.

Soonrs
3/9/2011, 09:25 AM
Capel's days were numbered when Joe wouldn't let him hire the assistants that he really wanted. That also means that Joe has probably had a replacement in mind for a few months.

If Capel was a good x's and o's guy, he would have been given another year but his coaching has been awful.

bigfatjerk
3/9/2011, 10:03 AM
I don't see any reason for keeping Jeff here if he doesn't make some serious changes on the coaching the roster. We don't have the talent both on the court and on the staff to win enough games to have Jeff keep his job another year after next year. If we keep things status quo with both the staff and the roster, OU will win maybe 15 games or in that neighborhood. Maybe one or two more if we schedule real easy. But that's not NCAA Tournament level which is what Jeff will need to stay another year. I don't see a good reason for keeping him another year if we can't make these changes.

badger
3/9/2011, 10:06 AM
The game at 6 p.m. tonight might determine who will be our coach next year.

For the sake of our players, I hope it is not their last game of the season.

bigfatjerk
3/9/2011, 10:08 AM
I doubt this game determines much either way.

badger
3/9/2011, 02:36 PM
One more quote from Castiglione about Capel at the Birmingham regional: "There are a lot of reasons to be proud of Jeff Capel. This program has developed a personality, how resilient they are. They have a toughness about them. They never stop playing hard. And you look at the characteristics of a team, they're really the characteristics of the head coach.

"Not only has he proven to be an outstanding motivator, but one heck of a teacher. And he's been an outstanding representative of not just our basketball team but our university."
link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10885)

87sooner
3/9/2011, 02:46 PM
I doubt this game determines much either way.

it really shouldn't have any bearing on the decision whatsoever.
the decision should be based on the whole season or even the past 2 seasons..
the decision should already be made.....unfortunately...from a poster on another board....he says it hasn't been made yet...
which is mind boggling and disappointing.
what is joe waiting for?

87sooner
3/9/2011, 02:49 PM
link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10885)

that quote is 3 years old....

Crimsontothecore
3/9/2011, 05:05 PM

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. If I had a dime for every time he's said "Crapel" in this thread I would be rich. Kinda like a kid who thinks he came up with something real cleaver and over uses it in hopes that everyone notices. Moron

SoonerDan74012
3/9/2011, 05:30 PM
I can confirm that he will be fired after the last game. The losing seasons, lack of fan support and the NCAA investigation will be the reasons why.

badger
3/9/2011, 05:41 PM
that quote is 3 years old....

Yup, that's why I was sure to include the "Birmingham" part for a time reference. I just thought it was interesting how far we've come in a few years' time.

I think it's common knowledge now for our team that their coach is on the extreeeeemely hot seat. It will be interesting to see if they rally around Capel or just give up tonight. I really hope they rally, for their own sake.

Scott D
3/9/2011, 06:05 PM
I can confirm that he will be fired after the last game. The losing seasons, lack of fan support and the NCAA investigation will be the reasons why.

if lack of fan support was anything real to be judge on anything other than the football program, we'd have shuttered up gymnastics and basketball a decade ago.

SoonerDan74012
3/9/2011, 06:22 PM
if lack of fan support was anything real to be judge on anything other than the football program, we'd have shuttered up gymnastics and basketball a decade ago.

I got my info from someone who has extremely close ties in the Athletic Dep't. This same person broke the news on T.J. Taylor and TMG way before the media got a hold of it so I consider his info very legit.

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 06:29 PM

If you can confirm it...then get to confirming it! Because words only do so much!

Straz1999
3/9/2011, 06:57 PM
In my job, confirmed is 95% certainty or better....

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 07:02 PM
In my job, confirmed is 95% certainty or better....

Good for that.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/9/2011, 08:23 PM
Capel is not going anywhere. If you honestly believe he is then you haven't been paying attention to how Joe Castiglione works over the past 14 years... no way, no how is he giving "his guy" the boot at this point in the game, so to speak.

Wish what you want and read what you want to on Rivals or anywhere else... at the end of the day and at the end of this season, Jeff Capel will still be the coach at OU. At least for one more season.

Guaranteed.

SoonerMom2
3/9/2011, 08:28 PM
Capel is not going anywhere. If you honestly believe he is then you haven't been paying attention to how Joe Castiglione works over the past 14 years... no way, no how is he giving "his guy" the boot at this point in the game, so to speak.

Wish what you want and read what you want to on Rivals or anywhere else... at the end of the day and at the end of this season, Jeff Capel will still be the coach at OU. At least for one more season.

Guaranteed.

Thank you! Think he has done really well considering what happened last year -- this team never quit and now with additional players even Bobby Knight thinks we will be back!

pappy
3/9/2011, 08:30 PM

Guaranteed.

He deserves to be fired. If you're right then he isn't receiving what he deserves.

We could beat Baylor by 50 tonight and Capel would still deserve to be fired.

Collier11
3/9/2011, 08:31 PM
please explain why he deserves to be fired?

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 08:32 PM

Guaranteed.

Don't say that too loud, '87 will tell you have no clue!

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 08:33 PM
He deserves to be fired. If you're right then he isn't receiving what he deserves.

We could beat Baylor by 50 tonight and Capel would still deserve to be fired.

And the reason is?

Oh....wins and losses, right?

Straz1999
3/9/2011, 08:34 PM
Good for that.

Just saying.....take it for what it is.

soonervegas
3/9/2011, 08:40 PM

Guaranteed.

I am going to believe you because with your access you would know. With that being said we can all meet back up 365 days from now for the eventual conclusion.

soonerbub
3/9/2011, 09:10 PM
Live! Live! Live!

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/image002-4.jpg

Crimsontothecore
3/9/2011, 10:37 PM
Don't say that too loud, '87 will tell you have no clue!

Plus he will use the word "crapel" at least 3 times in doing so.:rolleyes:

87sooner
3/9/2011, 10:47 PM

Guaranteed.

tomorrow is crapel's final game as ou's coach...
guaranteed...

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 10:59 PM
tomorrow is crapel's final game as ou's coach...
guaranteed...

And if he is here for 2011-2012...you promise to quit this board?

BTW, you don't have a clue who Jay Upchurch is do you?

If anyone on this site has a definite contact with the OU Athletic department...it is him.

See top of page, on the left in the banner? See it say Sooner Spectator? Well, That is Jay's baby! He is the Editor of that publication!

87sooner
3/9/2011, 11:00 PM
And if he is here for 2011-2012...you promise to quit this board?

BTW, you don't have a clue who Jay Upchurch is do you?

If anyone on this site has a definite contact to with the OU Athletic department...it is him.

See top of page, on the left in the banner? See it say Sooner Spectator? Well, That is Jay's baby! He is the Editor of that publication!

tell you what....i'm wrong...i leave...
i'm right....u leave....
deal?

and u can take crimsontothecore and scott d with u....

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 11:03 PM
tell you what....i'm wrong...i leave...
i'm right....u leave....
deal?

Actually, no...because I am actually indifferent in if Capel is here or not next season. I have not been blabbing about how he is worthless and cannot coach. I have not been saying he will not be here next year...yet have said if he isnt here next season then I will be the supporter of the next guy. It just flat out makes no difference to me...because unlike you I can see that this slump will continue at least one more year, but is getting better.

You are the one blasting our coach every damn chance you get...so if he is not fired...then leave the board and save face.

87sooner
3/9/2011, 11:06 PM
Actually, no...because I am actually indifferent in if Capel is here or not next season. I have not been blabbing about how he is worthless and cannot coach. I have not been saying he will not be here next year...yet have said if he isnt here next season then I will be the supporter of the next guy. It just flat out makes no difference to me...because unlike you I can see that this slump will continue at least one more year, but is getting better.

You are the one blasting our coach every damn chance you get...so if he is not fired...then leave the board and save face.

doesn't surprise me you're a chicken ****...

and you're a waffler too...
5 pages back...you defended crapel and said he was a good coach building a good foundation...
after the tech game...you said he should be fired...
now you're back to defending him...
you should just stop posting...

sooner518
3/9/2011, 11:23 PM
I'd take that bet. He ain't getting fired after this year. He'll get at least one more year. Whether or not he should be fired is irrelevant. He wont be.

We-TownSooner
3/9/2011, 11:44 PM
Is crapel anything like snapple?

badger
3/9/2011, 11:44 PM
snapple crapel and poppel

Soonerite
3/9/2011, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry, but calling him crapel is really lame and in no way clever.

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 11:53 PM
doesn't surprise me you're a chicken ****...

and you're a waffler too...
5 pages back...you defended crapel and said he was a good coach building a good foundation...
after the tech game...you said he should be fired...
now you're back to defending him...
you should just stop posting...

And that hasnt changed...but if your able to comprehend what people post...then you would also notice that I said if they do fire him, it would not bother me....

Maybe comprehension is not your forte?

And it isnt about being chicken ****...why would I give up something I frequent quite a bit for the last 6 or so years? Why would I give up friendships with people I have actually met? For some noob named 87Sooner, aka, The new NickZepp?

I have defended Capel from my first post in this thread...but unlike you, I wont get my panties in a bunch if what I say does not happen.

Seems to me, we should put you on suicide watch, especially if Capel is retained!

And if you would, please, quote me where I said he should be fired...Ill be waiting.

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry, but calling him crapel is really lame and in no way clever.

Got to give it to him though...seems the "87" in his username is for his IQ.

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2011, 11:57 PM
Here 87...Ill help you....

You know, after all I have said...after watching the game against Tech,I think Capel may be seeing his walking papers soon.

That is what I said after the tech game....I did not say he should be fired...I said that after that performance, he may be seeing his walking papers....

Nice try though....Ill give ya an A for effort!