PDA

View Full Version : The rest of the season (men's basketball)

TopDawg
11/24/2010, 05:41 PM
First, a serious question: Could our women's team beat the men?

Now let's look at the rest of our schedule. Here are the winnable games:

HA! Just kidding!

You gotta think we've got a chance against Gardner-Webb, Sacramento State, Central Arkansas and Maryland Eastern Shore. Maybe ORU too. Good news: Colorado is here! Bad news: fans won't be.

If we win all of those games, that puts us at 9-21. Looks like we're gonna need to pull an upset in Big XII play to reach 10 wins. I feel sorry for the team we'll humiliate in the process (assuming it happens). If it happens in Norman, do we rush the court? Doubtful, since security will have the fans outnumbered.

badger
11/24/2010, 06:02 PM

Ok, devil's advocate, I'll take the bait :)

Sherri is a courtside regular at men's games. She has them 100 percent scouted and probably would have the master gameplan to keep the game close and give her girls the chance to beat the boys.

Some might argue that the men will have an easier chance of getting all the boards. Well, thus far the women have been losing the board battle against the sh!t-tier of womens basketball, so women's team can win with or without rebounds against the guys.

Sooner women: 80*
Sooner men: 78

*Due to two free throws which Danielle hits in succession after technical foul on Jeff Capel.

ouleaf
11/24/2010, 06:23 PM

NO

Even if the question was posed sarcastically, the answer is still a resounding NO. Don't mean to come off as rude, I just can't watch Wimmen's ball.

We've got to get other guys to contribute other than Cade. I know Cade is our Senior and all but I really don't like the idea of him getting the bulk of our points and shots.

oulucas
11/24/2010, 07:07 PM
I love our women's program. There is no way they come within 20 points of the men's team.

misplacedsooner
11/24/2010, 07:27 PM
id say more like 40 or more...lets get real here jeez!!! think about it, against our girls forget shooting threes and jumpers, everyone just post up and every guy on the team is unstoppable against the competition. it would be like playing say the stillwater pioneer high school boys team. absolutely no chance to stay even close for any length of time.

Eielson
11/24/2010, 07:29 PM
I don't care if it's rude; I'm going to be honest. Women suck at basketball.

TopDawg
11/24/2010, 08:26 PM
You people thought it was a serious question just cuz I said it was?

Or are you just responding to badger's response.

But now a seriously serious question: will our football team end up with more wins than our MBB team?

GDC
11/24/2010, 08:46 PM
The only thing worse than watching this year's OU mens basketball team is watching any womens basketball team.

soonerbub
11/24/2010, 08:56 PM
The rest of the season is on these players. Do they want to work hard and buy into what Capel's sellin or not. Last year the answer was **** no coach

the game against UK was the best we have played since the loss to the tarheels but these guys decided to do it their way the last 2 days

I really think we're at THE pivot point for Capel--these guys can come back committed after Thanksgiving or just give up on themselves and each other

I don't give a **** about our talent level this year if we give great effort and compete I'm all for Capel but if we don't...well, bye

Crimsontothecore
11/24/2010, 10:50 PM
I keep hearing people say that Capel will get a "pass" this year due to the influx of new players after last years train wreck. I never quite understood how he seemed to escape all responsibility for what happened. The players all had bad attitudes and were not playing as a team. Since when is it not the head coaches responsibility to motivate his team and nurture a team-first mentality?
I believe Capel is in over his head. He had one good year with BG and other senior leadership. Losing to Chamanade is unacceptable and there should be no excuses for it. Capel is leading this team straight down the toilet.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/26/2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe I'd support men's basketball if,
I got to see a player like Griffin play.. heck even Willie Warren...

or if tickets were free for students

or if we could count on a high % of home wins like WBB and Football

Romulus
11/27/2010, 02:25 PM
Is Whitney Hand healthy when they play?

bri
11/28/2010, 04:29 PM
Trick question; Whitney Hand is never healthy.

Blue
11/28/2010, 09:54 PM
We'll win 15+. Bank it.

Dwight
11/28/2010, 10:26 PM
There is no way in HELL that any womens team could beat any mens team. Period.

Eielson
11/28/2010, 11:37 PM
I'd be upset if the men won by anything noticeably less than 50.

btk108
11/29/2010, 12:53 AM
You people thought it was a serious question just cuz I said it was?

Or are you just responding to badger's response.

But now a seriously serious question: will our football team end up with more wins than our MBB team?

Really? We're how far into the season? These guys haven't had a chance to gel. Maybe you ought to call Capel and tell him to inform the guys there's no reason to come back after Xmas break, TopDawg has prognosticated and no sense in wasting their time.

Are you just trying to get people fired up or are you just a doosh?

Sincerely,
An OU BASKETBALL fan.

TopDawg
11/29/2010, 10:37 AM
Really? We're how far into the season?

We're 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 embarrassing loss and 1 embarrassing win into the season. We're 3-3 through what should be the easiest 6-game stretch of our season.

Will our guys get better once they've had a chance to gel? I absolutely expect it and I'm looking forward to watching it happen. Will it result in very many wins? Doubtful. Why? Because of their incredible lack of talent and depth.

So it appears that your answer to my question of football wins v. bball wins is "Of course they are going to win a lot more games than our football team because once they gel, look out world!" My answer is more like "Well, I hope they do, but based on what I've seen, I think it's going to be close." I sure hope they do and I'll enjoy watching them improve...but I feel like it's going to be a rough season full of many more losses than wins.

But you seem to think I'm way off. So, btk, where do you think our wins will come from?

1890MilesToNorman
11/29/2010, 11:01 AM
What do you mean by beat?

TopDawg
11/29/2010, 11:04 AM
There is no way in HELL that any womens team could beat any mens team. Period.

Thanks Mr. Schrute

...sooner
11/29/2010, 01:03 PM
Really? We're how far into the season? These guys haven't had a chance to gel. Maybe you ought to call Capel and tell him to inform the guys there's no reason to come back after Xmas break, TopDawg has prognosticated and no sense in wasting their time.

Are you just trying to get people fired up or are you just a doosh?

Sincerely,
An OU BASKETBALL fan.

--right :( the bball forum makes me want to cry i

We're 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 embarrassing loss and 1 embarrassing win into the season. We're 3-3 through what should be the easiest 6-game stretch of our season.

Will our guys get better once they've had a chance to gel? I absolutely expect it and I'm looking forward to watching it happen. Will it result in very many wins? Doubtful. Why? Because of their incredible lack of talent and depth.

So it appears that your answer to my question of football wins v. bball wins is "Of course they are going to win a lot more games than our football team because once they gel, look out world!" My answer is more like "Well, I hope they do, but based on what I've seen, I think it's going to be close." I sure hope they do and I'll enjoy watching them improve...but I feel like it's going to be a rough season full of many more losses than wins.

But you seem to think I'm way off. So, btk, where do you think our wins will come from?

--hold on easiest 6 game stretch with kentucky & virgina in there? im confused?

TopDawg
11/29/2010, 02:09 PM
Kentucky is tough, no doubt. But Virginia?

Here was our 6 game stretch:
Coppin State
NCC
Texas Southern
Kentucky
Virginia
Chaminade

No road games and only one of those teams has a winning record right now. Sure, Kentucky is ranked, but during conference we don't have a 6-game stretch that doesn't feature at least 2 (currently) ranked teams. So you can throw out any discussion of conference play as being an easier stretch.

I'll concede that the following 6-game stretch is probably a little easier:

Gardner-Webb
Oral Roberts
Cincinnati
Sacramento State
Central Arkansas
Maryland-Eastern Shore

Because they're all home games and there is no Kentucky. But, in my opinion, it's the only 6-game stretch that's comparable. Kentucky puts a lot of weight on that first 6-game stretch, but it was only one game. There were 4 cupcakes...including one from a lower division...and Virginia.

Romulus
11/29/2010, 03:55 PM
--right :( the bball forum makes me want to cry i

--hold on easiest 6 game stretch with kentucky & virgina in there? im confused?

Virginia absolutely sucks as a team

badger
11/29/2010, 04:11 PM
If I've learned anything from college football, it's that being part of a bigtime conference is as reason as any think a team is good. And what conference is Virginia part of?

A-C-C! A-C-C!

:mad: oh gawd, if that ever started during another major sport season...