PDA

View Full Version : Nebbish and the Future

PLaw
11/24/2010, 05:35 PM
Would somebody please explain to me why we wouldn't want to continue the rivalry and schedule Nebbish annually as an OOC game? I mean it worked for over 75 years scheduling the OOC vermin from South of the Red - don't see why it wouldn't work with Nebbish.

As the King sez: Beat texass, Beat Nebraska, win the Big 8, and then go play for a National Championship. Seems like a pretty good forumula.

BOOMER

usaosooner
11/24/2010, 05:39 PM
It could work, but to much risk vs reward for both OU and Nebraska.. Why risk a loss? Nebraska has to deal with a whole new slate of issues, We still got to deal with *.... College football has fundamentally changed... This rivalry died 15 years ago when the Big XII formed

badger
11/24/2010, 05:40 PM
We aren't - the only game we might schedule with them is an anniversary of the Game of the Century in Norman, then a return trip to Nebbish either the year before or the year after. That's it. No continuous home-and-homes.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/24/2010, 06:52 PM
For one thing, because we were too weak at the time and the Big XII folks weren't bright enough to envision the long-term Big XII brand and follow a 5-2-2 model (play the 5 in your division, 2 perm cross-division, rotate the other 2 cross-division) there is no magic to the rivalry anymore, and no weight nationally. It's like two old fellers sittin' in rocking chairs on the porch of the local five and dime, "Remember when OU and NU used to mean something?"

If I may digress a little, I believe NU and CU would have never gone anywhere if they had simply followed the 5-2-2 model. At the inception NU playing OU every year, and perhaps establishing an annual Texas-CU game (CU won 6 straight matchups '89-'97), would have given the conference two more annual marquee matchups to market, not to mention that a strong K-State and aTM could have been paired annually at the time, meaning a better initial contract and more money.

But that old mare long ago left the barn and wandered off right into a glue factory.

But now that we're here, even without NU and CU the remaining 10 schools in a round robin pose a much greater challenge than the old big 8. Times they have a-changed. K-State and Texas Tech and Mizzou all get far more media exposure than back in the day, hence more exposure to recruits, hence more athletes on roster that can compete w/ the blue bloods, blah blah blah. And as long as they still insist on us going to College Station every other year that is easily as difficult a place to play as Nebraska.

Of course we'll have to see how it plays out, but on paper next year the only true "walk over" appears to be Kansas. Everybody else, including Iowa State, is improving or improved well over the 80's versions of ISU, KSU, KU, Mizzou, etc. (Though next year I expect us to stomp a few of those teams regardless because of what we have coming back.) The Big XII minus II is going to be a good football conf at least for 2011, even if it doesn't whet the appetite of the national wonks.

Bottom line, right now there's no good reason to continue the series with Nebraska. Nostalgia is all that remains.

royalfan5
11/24/2010, 06:57 PM
I don't think NU is going to have more than one big boy OOC game for the near to medium term. UCLA, Miama, and Tennessee are already in place. Maybe after that, or a one off neutral site deal if both teams had an open date that couldn't be filled otherwise is all I would expect.

Football Jim
11/24/2010, 07:07 PM
Screw the Nebbish. Time to look ahead to OU's future They used to be a class program back in the day but look at them now.

85sooners
11/24/2010, 07:21 PM
:eek:

sendbaht
11/24/2010, 07:26 PM
I still think since we and texas did not bail they wish they did not pull the triger so fast and more the the big 10. A least they got to play some warm weather games. Yes they money is better for them but all the ajustments and such.

They thought we were going for sure to the pac 16 (wish we would have) and needed to move fast. Shoot themselfs in the foot big 10 time.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/24/2010, 07:27 PM
Nebbish is dead to me.

StiffArmTrophy
11/24/2010, 08:32 PM
I don't feel the need for OU to schedule them to an ooc. The ooc that OU has scheduled for the next ten years is very tough we need to fill our other ooc games for the years with a few easier opponents and not kill ourselves before we even get to the conference play.

fadada1
11/24/2010, 08:33 PM
florida v. florida state
clemson v. south carolina
georgia v. georgia tech
nd .v usc

most of these seem no more/less risk/reward than an OU v. nebraska game every year.

SoonerLB
11/24/2010, 08:43 PM
Nebbish is dead to me.

Fair and just ending for a traitor, may they wallow in mediocrity in the little 10!

goingoneight
11/24/2010, 09:47 PM
It's stupid, but I agree that we'd be overscheduling if we scrapped one of OUr directional school wins for a home-and-home with NU the way we've scheduled in recent years. No matter what BCS funk we're in, the way we're scheduling, the answer is NOT how tough a schedule we've played the last five or six years.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2010, 04:21 AM
I still think since we and texas did not bail they wish they did not pull the triger so fast and more the the big 10.

Huh?

sendbaht
11/25/2010, 06:37 AM
Did I ever tell you I took my English classes at osu?

Since OU and texas did not bail to the pac 10/16 I believe Nebraska wishes they have not pulled the trigger so fast to move to the big 10. Something like that look at the time I wrote this.:)

PLaw
11/25/2010, 06:54 AM
florida v. florida state
clemson v. south carolina
georgia v. georgia tech
nd .v usc

most of these seem no more/less risk/reward than an OU v. nebraska game every year.

I'm with you, fadada.

'71 nebbish was my first college football game to attend and went to several others in Norman through the late 80's. I'd like a show of hands of how many saw KJ's end around for 80? Or, Billy bust 'em down?

For those too young to remember, this rivalry was THE essence of college football - more than Meatchicken and tOSU, more than SUC and ND, more than gator tail and bulldog, and more than iron. It was respectful, dignified, and the hardest hitting, smash mouth affair of all time.

I see nothing wrong with this schedule:

Week 1 - Directional U warm up
Week 2 - mid-major warm up
Week 3 - ISU
Week 4 - Mizzou
Week 5 - rock chalk Jayhawk
Week 6 - vermin from South of the Red
Week 7 - sand aggie
Week 8 - BYE
Week 9 - eATMe
Week 10 - ksu
Week 11 - baptists
Week 12 - NEBBISH / Thanksgiving Weekend
Week 13 - stoolwater / Week of the conf championships

JMHO,

BOOMER

AlbqSooner
11/25/2010, 06:55 AM
Leave bhat alone Leroy. He knew what he meant.

MyT Oklahoma
11/25/2010, 04:46 PM
Mainly because they quit the Big 12 like a bunch of little cry babies.

I've lost all respect for them for that move and I used to like playing the Big Red of the North more than anyone else in the Big 8.