PDA

View Full Version : TOSU Prez Says What Everyone Here is Thinking

CrimsonRez
11/24/2010, 01:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

-- Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee
"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism," he said. "I'm a fan of the bowl system and I think that by and large it's worked very, very well."

He cited Ohio State's presence in the 2007 national title game as an example.

The Buckeyes won their first 10 games that season to rise to No. 1 before losing 26-21 at home to unranked Illinois. They fell all the way to No. 8 in the BCS standings.

A series of upsets over the final weeks of the regular season and in other team's conference championship games led to the Buckeyes climbing all the way back to the No. 1 spot in the final BCS standings. They were matched against an LSU team with two losses.

Ohio State led 10-0 early only to have LSU come back and score the next 31 points in a 38-24 victory at the Louisiana Superdome.

"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1, then No. 11, then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."

While he was at Vanderbilt, Gee abolished the athletic department since it was underwritten by the university's general fund anyway. He said he has no problem with an Ohio State program that fields 36 intercollegiate varsity teams and has an annual budget exceeding $120 million.

"Here, athletics pays for itself and also pays for academic programs at the institution," he said. "The other thing, of course, that I take a look at and see how well we are doing in terms of that notion of balance, which is what I was all about at Vanderbilt, which I am all about here."

He said Ohio State's eighth-ranked football team, which plays rival Michigan on Saturday, is in the top 10 in the nation not only on the field but also in terms of academic progress.

"That's the kind of balance I want to have," he said.

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 01:52 PM
Smart man.

KantoSooner
11/24/2010, 01:56 PM
Any idea what 'academic progress' means? tOSU is certainly not in the top ten academically, not even in the top ten academically among large universities. So 'academic progress'? I guess it could mean that they're doing better than they were before. And that their rate of improvement is 'top ten' among improving institutions.
I know it's a small thing, but I get tired of people making public statements filled with mumble-words.

OUSchitzo
11/24/2010, 01:56 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea of a playoff system. I agree with his reasoning about a playoff.

It would eventually get bas.ardized to allow more teams so someone else could just make more money. Which is the Real Reason behind the playoff.

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 02:00 PM
He nails it here:

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism,"

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 02:01 PM
Any idea what 'academic progress' means? tOSU is certainly not in the top ten academically, not even in the top ten academically among large universities. So 'academic progress'? I guess it could mean that they're doing better than they were before. And that their rate of improvement is 'top ten' among improving institutions.
I know it's a small thing, but I get tired of people making public statements filled with mumble-words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

I don't know if they are in the top ten in the country or not, they are 2nd in the Big 10. OU is first in the Big 12, but would be 6th in the Big 10.

http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

KantoSooner
11/24/2010, 02:22 PM
excuse my ignorance.
My God. That otherwise productive human beings spend their time calculating this stuff.
Is it any wonder we haven't invented time travel, cured cancer or legalized pot, yet?

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 02:24 PM
Speaking of pot, CU got penalized 5 schollies because their score was so low. :)

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 02:24 PM
excuse my ignorance.
My God. That otherwise productive human beings spend their time calculating this stuff.
Is it any wonder we haven't invented time travel, cured cancer or legalized pot, yet?

You ought to see the stats they churn out in baseball.

KantoSooner
11/24/2010, 02:53 PM
I know it, Leroy!

Perhaps you'll join my negotiating team. We travel the world trying to put together a deal with the Commonwealth nations. Goal: they cancel cricket, we put a fork in baseball.

TMcGee86
11/24/2010, 03:05 PM
He nails it here:

"It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism,"

yeah, cause we've seen what its done to all the other sports. :rolleyes:

badger
11/24/2010, 03:17 PM
If either TCU or Boyzee get in the title game - or heaven forbid they both do - prepare for sweeping BCS changes to make it a more difficult road for everyone involved so that nobody can ever waltz in with an easy schedule ever again. The big schools got the NCAA to do a play-in game rather than give up one of its money basketball tourney bids. They have the power to do the same to the BCS.

Ideas:

1- Institute a playoff for non-AQ only. If more than one school is eligible for a BCS at-large, order that the eligible schools settle which one-and-only-one team receives the bid. For example, if this were in place this year, TCU and Boise would play each other the same week most conferences have a conference championship game.

2- Minimum qualifying standards for BCS eligiblity in scheduling. Teams may continue scheduling whoever they want, but must have a schedule strength rank of at least 50 AND play at least two BCS-AQ conference opponents during the regular season to be considered for a BCS bowl.

3- An addiitonal BCS bowl game. However, no more than two (more likely one) non-AQ teams is eligible to play in a BCS bowl.

4- No BCS bowl will be forced to take a non-AQ school for two successive years. They've got seats to put butts in, but non-AQs just don't fill them.

5- Non-AQ teams with successive undefeated seasons will have stricter rules to qualify for BCS bowls.

More likely than not, a non-AQ team getting to the title game will be a faster ticket to a playoff than continued shunning of the non-AQs. All hell can and will break lose if a non-AQ lifts the crystal football.

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 03:33 PM
Look at Ohio St.'s schedule and tell me you don't think BSU could go 10-1 against it.

Vegas knows what they're doing, and BSU would likely be favored against every team in the country except Oregon, and possibly Stanford, Alabama, TCU, and Auburn, which would likely be close to pick 'ems.

Even though I think BSU is better than Auburn, I still think you'd have to give the nod to an undefeated Auburn, but Ohio St. played a total **** schedule, and has no room to talk. All BSU would have had to do is split against Iowa and Wisc on the road to accomplish what tOSU did. The rest of the games, they'd be big favorites.

Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Marshall, and a couple of MAC schools -- some ****ing murderers' row.

oumartin
11/24/2010, 03:36 PM
I dont' agree with him at all. Ohio State plays a pretty soft schedule themselves. I am alll for a BSU and TCU NC game.

slh1234
11/24/2010, 03:37 PM
excuse my ignorance.

Go to San Francisco where pot is legal, but happy meals aren't.

85sooners
11/24/2010, 03:38 PM
:eek:

budbarrybob
11/24/2010, 03:41 PM

It would eventually get bas.ardized to allow more teams so someone else could just make more money. Which is the Real Reason behind the playoff.

Then what are the bowl games for? Expanding the student athletes cultural perspectives?

KantoSooner
11/24/2010, 04:08 PM

Or to Durant where more is grown than anywhere outside of Cali. There you can get the happy meals, too!

Okie35
11/24/2010, 04:14 PM
Ohio State doesn't belong there either.

This season the No. 8 Buckeyes have beaten only two ranked teams - the same number as Boise State and TCU - and are essentially out of the national championship picture despite their 10-1 record through the Big Ten "gantlet."

Why? Out-of-conference strength of schedule.

In the four weeks leading up to Big Ten play, the Buckeyes played four opponents who have a combined record of 21-23.

The Broncos? 24-20.

The Horned Frogs? 29-25.

Both programs have played teams that were ranked in the top 10 when they took the field. Ohio State? Their biggest win came over then ranked No. 12 Miami (Fla.). The Hurricanes are currently unranked.

sooned
11/24/2010, 04:33 PM
If you think the OSU schedule is soft, take a close look at the BSU and TCU schedules.

badger
11/24/2010, 04:39 PM
Now, now, part of what makes tOSU's schedule more difficult is not wins and losses of the opponent. It's those d@mn huge environments and fanbases and media outlets you have to deal with each and every week.

tOSU's stadium seats more than 100k. So do two other schools in the Big Ten. Iowa's stadium is huge and hostile. So is Wisconsin's.

So, don't try to compare tOSU's opponents and Boise/TCU's on record alone. :)

Soonerman82
11/24/2010, 04:39 PM
If either TCU or Boyzee get in the title game - or heaven forbid they both do - prepare for sweeping BCS changes to make it a more difficult road for everyone involved so that nobody can ever waltz in with an easy schedule ever again. The big schools got the NCAA to do a play-in game rather than give up one of its money basketball tourney bids. They have the power to do the same to the BCS.

Ideas:

1- Institute a playoff for non-AQ only. If more than one school is eligible for a BCS at-large, order that the eligible schools settle which one-and-only-one team receives the bid. For example, if this were in place this year, TCU and Boise would play each other the same week most conferences have a conference championship game.

2- Minimum qualifying standards for BCS eligiblity in scheduling. Teams may continue scheduling whoever they want, but must have a schedule strength rank of at least 50 AND play at least two BCS-AQ conference opponents during the regular season to be considered for a BCS bowl.

3- An addiitonal BCS bowl game. However, no more than two (more likely one) non-AQ teams is eligible to play in a BCS bowl.

4- No BCS bowl will be forced to take a non-AQ school for two successive years. They've got seats to put butts in, but non-AQs just don't fill them.

5- Non-AQ teams with successive undefeated seasons will have stricter rules to qualify for BCS bowls.

More likely than not, a non-AQ team getting to the title game will be a faster ticket to a playoff than continued shunning of the non-AQs. All hell can and will break lose if a non-AQ lifts the crystal football.

That makes too much sense Badger therefore it won't happen.

rainiersooner
11/24/2010, 04:40 PM
He nails it here:

But every other NCAA sport picks a national champion, through a play off. Maintaining the status qou because it serves the pruposes of the entrenched financial interests of the Bowls seems to me a worse case of professionalism.

rainiersooner
11/24/2010, 04:42 PM

I just had a thought that it would be funny if Morgan Spurloch (sp?) did a sequel to Supersize Me, but instead of 30 days of McDonalds, he just got really baked for 30 days and looked at the health impacts of that.

Total non-sequitor.

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 04:42 PM
BSU's schedule is soft, there's no denying it. But I take issue with a school president who plays 8 home games, and what, 1 ranked team, calling another team's schedule soft. tOSU doesn't control it's conference schedule, so you can't blame them for missing MSU and NW. They also scheduled Miami, which is respectable. But the way it turned out this year, they haven't had tough games week in and week out. Any top 5 team would be favored by ~20 points in most of their games. Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and their 3 non-Miami opponents are all terrble. Illinois, Michigan, PSU, and Miami are all capable of beating you if you play poorly, but they're three score (or so) dogs. Iowa, and Wisconsin on the road are very tough games. To call two tough games (I'd say @VT and @Nev aren't as tough as tOSU's toughest games), and 4 meh opponents a "gantlet" doesn't do justice to truly tough schedules, like the ones Oregon St., Iowa, and some SEC teams faced.

rainiersooner
11/24/2010, 04:43 PM
"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1, then No. 11, then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."

I think this is a pretty rich statement...he likes the mystery? I'd prefer to see a playoff where the best teams in the country have to play each other to determine who is the best. It's the mystery that I find so maddening.

silverwheels
11/24/2010, 04:44 PM

That's what I was going to say. Having to play Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota, all at home, is TOUGH.

badger
11/24/2010, 04:45 PM
That makes too much sense Badger therefore it won't happen.

thanks... but my guess is that the NCAA stopped reading after the first sentence like most of you when I post long wordy rants :D

Seriously though, there is change coming if a non-AQ gets in title game. Drastic change if both in the title game are non-AQ. BCS AQ conferences spend too much money on their programs for a minor one to squeak into the big prize game.

bent rider
11/24/2010, 04:52 PM
So why doesn't OSU play Boise State home and home instead of playing 3 home non conference games against Marshall, E Mich and Ohio U?

Generally teams don't schedule the Boise States, Utahs, BYUs and TCUs of the world for non-conference games. The Sooners being an ocassional exception. The trend is worse in the SEC and Big Ten.

If Ohio State doesn't think BSU and TCU belong then they should redefine the Div-1 (or FBS or whatever it is called). Might as well call them Div-II. But don't look now, the Mountain West is better than BOTH the ACC and Big East, so will those conferences get bucked-down, too?

olevetonahill
11/24/2010, 04:55 PM
http://ericatwitts.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/just-the-facts_edited-1.jpg?w=600

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 05:07 PM
yeah, cause we've seen what its done to all the other sports. :rolleyes:

NCAA Basketball? Damn straight. Recruiting violations and absurdly low academic performance are a massive problem, and this from a sport that only attracts a fourth of the audience of college football. One can only imagine how bad it would be if it generated as much revenue as football and recruited 25+ every year.

But every other NCAA sport picks a national champion, through a play off. Maintaining the status qou because it serves the pruposes of the entrenched financial interests of the Bowls seems to me a worse case of professionalism.

Snot true. College basketball is the epitome of what happens when professionalism creeps into sports. No one even bothers to look into basketball players' academics because no one cares. Need to start a game late night on a school day? No problem.

Regardless of what people think, the BCS system is not supported because it serves the purposes of certain financial interests. That's a bogey man created by playoff proponents to explain why a system is in place that doesn't provide them the maximum entertainment they think they are entitled.

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 05:16 PM
Ideas:

Sounds fine to me, but I think fans of those schools will want to know what they are playing for. Is this a consolation prize? Or what? Is "King of non-AQ Teams" a worthy title to target? I'm not sure.

The problem is that this will compel BCS-AQ teams to avoid non-BCS-AQ teams or risk dropping their SOS.

This issue shows up a lot whenever we try to elevate SOS to prominence. The Akrons of the world want to schedule the Alabamas of the world to get a shot at a playoff, but the Alabamas don't want to schedule the Akrons.

The rest of your suggestions will likely garner support from the big shots, but would be nixed by the smaller schools.

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 05:19 PM
Then what are the bowl games for? Expanding the student athletes cultural perspectives?

They are a reward for a season and to provide the locals a holiday. They're not just about the money, because teams that play in the weak bowl games don't pocket much of anything after they pay expenses.

Seriously though, there is change coming if a non-AQ gets in title game. Drastic change if both in the title game are non-AQ. BCS AQ conferences spend too much money on their programs for a minor one to squeak into the big prize game.

To the contrary, the big powers want a non-AQ in the BCS title game. They like the present system and getting a non-AQ team in will get the public off the BCS' backs. They are perfectly willing to lose a battle to win the war.

Scott D
11/24/2010, 05:29 PM
So why doesn't OSU play Boise State home and home instead of playing 3 home non conference games against Marshall, E Mich and Ohio U?

Generally teams don't schedule the Boise States, Utahs, BYUs and TCUs of the world for non-conference games. The Sooners being an ocassional exception. The trend is worse in the SEC and Big Ten.

If Ohio State doesn't think BSU and TCU belong then they should redefine the Div-1 (or FBS or whatever it is called). Might as well call them Div-II. But don't look now, the Mountain West is better than BOTH the ACC and Big East, so will those conferences get bucked-down, too?

you want the real reason? or the boise state reason?

MyT Oklahoma
11/24/2010, 05:44 PM
When Ohio State has a winning bowl record and when Ohio State finally beats an SEC team in football.. maybe then I'll actually care about what their President has to say on this subject. Yawn.

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 05:46 PM
When Ohio State has a winning bowl record and when Ohio State finally beats an SEC team in football.. maybe then I'll actually care about what their President has to say on this subject. Yawn.

If you're a playoff proponent, you'd better care what Gee thinks. He is one of the most prominent university presidents in the country and he has real power in the NCAA.

You can't just ignore the college presidents' views.

MyT Oklahoma
11/24/2010, 05:55 PM
If you're a playoff proponent, you'd better care what Gee thinks. He is one of the most prominent university presidents in the country and he has real power in the NCAA.

You can't just ignore the college presidents' views.

True but then I also can't change what he thinks. Thus I prefer to simply ignore him. LOL

badger
11/24/2010, 06:04 PM

I love my Sooners, but we have the same record against the same SEC teams in the same BCS National Championship game as tOSU.

:mad: some SEC fan farked our horsepig and their buckeye looking sulky around LSU's Tiger and Florida's Gator each holding two crystal balls. :mad:

CBUS_SOONER
11/24/2010, 06:17 PM
Now, now, part of what makes tOSU's schedule more difficult is not wins and losses of the opponent. It's those d@mn huge environments and fanbases and media outlets you have to deal with each and every week.

tOSU's stadium seats more than 100k. So do two other schools in the Big Ten. Iowa's stadium is huge and hostile. So is Wisconsin's.

So, don't try to compare tOSU's opponents and Boise/TCU's on record alone. :)

I have been to just about every big 10 stadium and the only hostile one is Penn St. imo. Wisky maybe Iowa hell no

CBUS_SOONER
11/24/2010, 06:23 PM

yeah tosu has a very soft schedule also. I would love to see Gee's ****eyes play Boise or TCU and have him eat his words. Also he mentions 2007 when tosu didn't deserve to be in the game and got exposed. I wish idiots in big ten country would stop talking about the big ten in the same breeath as the SEC... Its not even close.

badger
11/24/2010, 06:24 PM
I have been to just about every big 10 stadium and the only hostile one is Penn St. imo. Wisky maybe Iowa hell no

:) I guess you haven't had a couch you've been sitting on in Columbus set on fire.

Seriously though, I'm talking crowd noise, not a bunch of "Eat ****, **** you" chants (Wisconsin) or pink locker rooms (Iowa). How many are in the largest WAC stadiums? 30k?

Okie35
11/24/2010, 06:26 PM

Ideas:

Nice I'm all for 1.

CBUS_SOONER
11/24/2010, 06:29 PM
:) I guess you haven't had a couch you've been sitting on in Columbus set on fire.

Seriously though, I'm talking crowd noise, not a bunch of "Eat ****, **** you" chants (Wisconsin) or pink locker rooms (Iowa). How many are in the largest WAC stadiums? 30k?

I got ya... That couch stuff is funny. I guess I just don't respect the big ten. I believe Boise and Tcu could win the big ten this yr. Just my opinion

Okie35
11/24/2010, 06:33 PM
I got ya... That couch stuff is funny. I guess I just don't respect the big ten. I believe Boise and Tcu could win the big ten this yr. Just my opinion

This year yea and maybe even last year.

badger
11/24/2010, 06:37 PM
I will credit NP for this comparison - what you are seeing now with Boise and TCU is what you used to see with Miami (Florida, not Ohio silly) before they joined the ACC.

Remember how mad we all were that they could coast through the easy Big East and play one tough opponent all year (usually Va Tech, sometimes Florida State)? Remember just hoping, praying that someone would step up and upset them from that conference?

Well, the same will happen to Utah when it goes to the Pac 10 and to TCU/Boise should they ever join a big boy conference. Going to the ACC means easy-schedule Miami will never concern us again.

bent rider
11/24/2010, 06:40 PM

I know TCU could win the Big East or the ACC, probably Boise State also. If Florida State or Pitt were undefeated no one would bat an eye about them being considered for the championship game.

CBUS_SOONER
11/24/2010, 06:41 PM
I will credit NP for this comparison - what you are seeing now with Boise and TCU is what you used to see with Miami (Florida, not Ohio silly) before they joined the ACC.

Remember how mad we all were that they could coast through the easy Big East and play one tough opponent all year (usually Va Tech, sometimes Florida State)? Remember just hoping, praying that someone would step up and upset them from that conference?

Well, the same will happen to Utah when it goes to the Pac 10 and to TCU/Boise should they ever join a big boy conference. Going to the ACC means easy-schedule Miami will never concern us again.

Good point... Boy Boise St prez fired back at Gee

CBUS_SOONER
11/24/2010, 06:43 PM
Wanna raise money for their Univesities... Those two nerds should fight on pay per view to settle this once and for all

royalfan5
11/24/2010, 06:49 PM
I like how everyone likes to pretend that college football is amateur athletics.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2010, 11:32 PM
Gee politicing like this for his underachieving buckeyes during the season makes me hope for TCU or BSU to get to the big game. I'd have more respect if he piped up off season.

olevetonahill
11/24/2010, 11:47 PM
I dont GAS what he is, IMHO he spoke the truth, Hell Let BSU an TCU play a Big 12, a pac 10 a SEC schedule and see how long they last .:rolleyes:
Granted Both teams are good teams. I just dont think they have the Gas to run an entire race in the big leagues.

Yes they can beat an elite team on occasion , but Id like to see em do it consistently week in and week out .

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 12:37 AM
Boise State and TCU are the two best teams in the country THIS YEAR. That's all that should matter.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 12:40 AM
Boise State and TCU are the two best teams in the country THIS YEAR. That's all that should matter.

Based on what?:rolleyes:

silverwheels
11/25/2010, 12:44 AM

They might be, but I wouldn't say that definitively. Boise scares me more than TCU.

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 12:47 AM
Total Offense, Total Defense, Scoring Defense, Scoring Offense. Then, if you have watched them play, you would realize that they don't just put up the stats, but match up with anyone in the country talent-wise. Then, you look at Auburn and Oregon and you see great offenses, but awful defenses. Oregon's is better than Auburn's, but about 50 teams in the country can say that. You can make an argument that Oregon should play in the game against either Boise or TCU, but Auburn should be a distant No. 4. As for the one-loss teams, no one is even close. OU could beat pretty much any of the one-loss teams over half the time if they played 10 times.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 12:48 AM
They might be, but I wouldn't say that definitively. Boise scares me more than TCU.

For the simple reason that all they have done most of the season is play cupcake teams and fine tune their playbook. had they been playing in a tuff conference , they would have lost a few players to injury, and learned to over come and adapt. :pop:

Okie35
11/25/2010, 12:49 AM

Me too. Oh and Boise State's President responded

In an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday, Bob Kustra angrily responded to Ohio State President Gordon Gee's statement that TCU and Boise State don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game even if they run the table.

Gee said of the power conferences' schedules: ''We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor.''

Kustra had Ohio State's last two schedules in front of him — the Buckeyes have played Southern California and Miami, in addition to several mid-majors and directional schools — and said, ''If they're not playing the Little Sisters of the Poor, they're playing the Little Brothers.''

He added: ''Maybe President Gee doesn't go to the games of the teams that are not in his Big Ten, but he's playing some easy marks.''

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte also stepped into the fray, defending the Horned Frogs' unblemished record.

''We only worry about our house and what we do at TCU,'' he said. ''I'll put our record up against anybody.''

Kustra said he had to speak up after hearing Gee's comments.

''I don't mind somebody stating that they don't think we ought to be in the national championship, but to do it with such erroneous information as Gordon Gee has used gets under the skin of all of us who thought university presidents were supposed to be standing for fairness, equity and truth in how we portray our universities,'' Kustra said. ''And he's doing a very poor job of that at the moment.''

Kustra said it was hypocritical of Ohio State and all of the major BCS conferences to demean teams such as Boise State. He said most of those conferences refuse to schedule his school.

''It's easy for the presidents to talk, but ask the ADs when's the last time that they seriously entertained taking requests or inviting Boise State to (play them),'' Kustra said. ''If you're Boise State or TCU, they're going to want to steer way clear of you.''

Kustra said most teams from the power conferences follow a simple blueprint when scheduling these days.

''The formula these days for BCS teams is get seven or eight home games, play one non-conference game against a team from another BCS league, schedule three or four patsies and try not to leave the state if you can help it,'' he said.

He also said that the SEC's Florida Gators have not left the state to play a non-conference, regular-season opponent since 1991.

TCU has earned an opportunity to at least be considered to play in the national championship game, Del Conte said.

''We have a wonderful coach, a great football program and at this point in time, we're undefeated heading in the right direction,'' he said. ''Look at our overall body of work the last 10 years — it stacks up against anybody.''

kelloggOUballa

I believe Boise State is better than TCU. But I think TCU is better than Oregon.

Scott D
Total Offense, Total Defense, Scoring Defense, Scoring Offense. Then, if you have watched them play, you would realize that they don't just put up the stats, but match up with anyone in the country talent-wise. Then, you look at Auburn and Oregon and you see great offenses, but awful defenses. Oregon's is better than Auburn's, but about 50 teams in the country can say that. You can make an argument that Oregon should play in the game against either Boise or TCU, but Auburn should be a distant No. 4. As for the one-loss teams, no one is even close. OU could beat pretty much any of the one-loss teams over half the time if they played 10 times.

no offense, but Jenks could lead the NCAA in total defense against the cupcakes known as the WAC.

silverwheels
11/25/2010, 12:52 AM
For the simple reason that all they have done most of the season is play cupcake teams and fine tune their playbook. had they been playing in a tuff conference , they would have lost a few players to injury, and learned to over come and adapt. :pop:

Both teams are incredibly well-coached and they execute very well. No, their schedules aren't great, but Boise especially has been running roughshod. That's all you can ask of them. If they had to go through the grind of the SEC or Big 12, they probably wouldn't be undefeated, but they'd sure as hell put up a great fight in every game.

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 12:52 AM

This is 2010, the "power conferences" are extremely overrated. Big East and Pac-10 won't fill their bowl allotments, the Big 10 is full of terrible teams that wouldn't do much better in the WAC and certainly not the MWC, and the Big 12...well, that Big 12 North is bad, realllly bad. It's all perception, and it is very skewed from a national standpoint.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 12:54 AM
no offense, but Jenks could lead the NCAA in total defense against the cupcakes known as the WAC.

THIS ^

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 12:56 AM
Both teams are incredibly well-coached and they execute very well. No, their schedules aren't great, but Boise especially has been running roughshod. That's all you can ask of them. If they had to go through the grind of the SEC or Big 12, they probably wouldn't be undefeated, but they'd sure as hell put up a great fight in every game.

This I agree with , But no way in hell should either team be anointed the Best team. Nor would they have the Stats that seem to impress the dimwits of the world.

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 01:06 AM
This I agree with , But no way in hell should either team be anointed the Best team. Nor would they have the Stats that seem to impress the dimwits of the world.

You think they wouldn't have stats in the Big 12? Have you seen the conference this year? Terrible defense, and only a handful of good offenses.

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 01:09 AM
There's not a team, other than OU, in the Big 12 that I would pick against either. And that's only if it's in Norman.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 01:12 AM
You think they wouldn't have stats in the Big 12? Have you seen the conference this year? Terrible defense, and only a handful of good offenses.

Id have to be a ****in idiot to think they wouldnt have "stats"
They would have something. just not the impressive #s they have now .
Face it the biggest reason they are even talked about is because they beat us several years ago when we were the Dogs in the Game , Playin with a back up QB and several Key players out. then it came down to tricks .
You go ahead and suck on em if ya want, I aint saying they are BAD teams just sayin they aint all that .:rolleyes:

kelloggOUballa
11/25/2010, 01:18 AM
It came down to tricks in 2006. In 2010, they have ascended to football powers where they can man up and beat anybody. The two years aren't even comparable. I'm not trying to be the voice of the underdog here, or as Herbstreit calls himself the "Mayor of Boise", I'm just saying that these guys can play with anybody, and especially this season.

olevetonahill
11/25/2010, 01:27 AM
It came down to tricks in 2006. In 2010, they have ascended to football powers where they can man up and beat anybody. The two years aren't even comparable. I'm not trying to be the voice of the underdog here, or as Herbstreit calls himself the "Mayor of Boise", I'm just saying that these guys can play with anybody, and especially this season.

And what im sayin is
IF they had had to play in a tuff conference and accomplished what they have then id be all over their jock straps to. But they havent . So ill go back and say it ONE MORE TIME .
They have had to play a rare tuff team that they have had time to get ready for, The rest of their games are nothing more than tune up games , Its that ****ing simple
Like I said Not saying they aint good , Just sayin Id like to see em prove it in a Good Conference .

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2010, 03:18 AM
Gordon Gee is a ******. He was the chancellor at Vanderbilt and did away with their AD position and basically made their athletic programs club teams.

He is a little pinhead who hates athletes.

Saved a bunch of money and didn't hurt Vanderbilt's performance in football.

Scott D
11/25/2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe, just maybe when Boise quits perpetuating the myth that the 'big boys' are afraid of them and admit that they avoid them just as much I might give them some respect other than hey, they beat their jv schedule every year.

hvhurricane
11/25/2010, 11:35 AM
He makes some good points but he loses all credibility when he starts talking about being against a playoff. One of the major advantages OSU has as a football program is the fact the are a quarter system school. Therefore, they don't start school until at least three weeks after everyone else. This gives them basically an extra three weeks of football only for their players. The normal limitations do not apply to them during this time. They are basically a professional team during this period.

tanjou
11/25/2010, 12:39 PM
I like how everyone likes to pretend that college football is amateur athletics.
Just gonna quote this.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2010, 01:10 PM
He makes some good points but he loses all credibility when he starts talking about being against a playoff. One of the major advantages OSU has as a football program is the fact the are a quarter system school. Therefore, they don't start school until at least three weeks after everyone else. This gives them basically an extra three weeks of football only for their players. The normal limitations do not apply to them during this time. They are basically a professional team during this period.

:confused:

MyT Oklahoma
11/25/2010, 04:33 PM
I love my Sooners, but we have the same record against the same SEC teams in the same BCS National Championship game as tOSU.

:mad: some SEC fan farked our horsepig and their buckeye looking sulky around LSU's Tiger and Florida's Gator each holding two crystal balls. :mad:

Not quite. Although we have a losing record against the SEC.. unlike OSU.. OU has actually beaten SEC teams. I don't believe OSU has ever beaten an SEC team.

Not once.

Never.

Ever.

Salt City Sooner
11/25/2010, 06:06 PM
Not quite. Although we have a losing record against the SEC.. unlike OSU.. OU has actually beaten SEC teams. I don't believe OSU has ever beaten an SEC team.

Not once.

Never.

Ever.
Uh, unless Georgia wasn't in the SEC last year, that pretty well blows that one out of the water. Also, off the top of my head, I also remember them beating Bama in the who gives a flip bowl about 4-5 years ago.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2010, 09:42 PM
Uh, unless Georgia wasn't in the SEC last year, that pretty well blows that one out of the water. Also, off the top of my head, I also remember them beating Bama in the who gives a flip bowl about 4-5 years ago.

We talkin' the same OSU?

flyou11
11/25/2010, 10:43 PM
I was excited when I heard that on ESPN. It's about time someone with power said that.

sperry
11/25/2010, 10:47 PM
Gordon Gee was the president of Vanderbilt when I was there. He used to walk around campus every once in a while on Friday and Saturday nights and talk to students. Me and a couple girls have a picture with him in halloween costumes absolutely annihilated right outside a fraternity house.

MyT Oklahoma
11/26/2010, 12:04 AM
We talkin' the same OSU?

I was talking about Ohio State University. The Big 10 school with the losing bowl record. The Big 10 school who has never beat the SEC in a bowl game.

Salt City Sooner
11/26/2010, 12:34 AM
Sorry 'bout the mix up. You left out the t that's usually used when referring to Ohio St. Threw me a little curve, no biggie.