Top Off Player

VY

Top Def Player

Suh

Top Coach

Stoops

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 01:08 PM
I'm so sick of that illiterate ***** Vince Young. One year wonder. OU has had two QB's this decade better than him.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 01:09 PM
Well in all honesty, VY had one of the top 2 or 3 individual seasons of all time for a QB, thats what people remember

Eielson
11/24/2010, 01:11 PM
Wow at VY.

Widescreen
11/24/2010, 01:25 PM
So Sam only got 1 vote for QB? One???? I guess he wasn't viewed as well as I thought he was.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 01:28 PM
VY doesnt bother me, what makes no sense is that SB got less votes than Colt

Salt City Sooner
11/24/2010, 01:34 PM
Bet if you asked the voters, they'd list the fact that Colt was a 4 year starter (while Sam only had 2) as their main reason. I certainly can't think of anything else.

soonerinabilene
11/24/2010, 01:37 PM
Bet if you asked the voters, they'd list the fact that Colt was a 4 year starter (while Sam only had 2) as their main reason. I certainly can't think of anything else.

hes got the most wins in big 12 history. i i think he should be ahead of vince.

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 01:58 PM
Well in all honesty, VY had one of the top 2 or 3 individual seasons of all time for a QB, thats what people remember

Colt, Sam, and Jason White all had seasons comparable to or better than him. I'm sure if anybody wanted to look they could come up with a ton more.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 02:06 PM
yea but they didnt single handedly win a natl title for their teams

cccasooner2
11/24/2010, 02:10 PM
Any other active college players? Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma (1)

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 02:15 PM
yea but they didnt single handedly win a natl title for their teams

Single handedly? That's a myth. The NFL is loaded with horns from that team.

SoonerPride93
11/24/2010, 02:18 PM
Any other active college players? Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma (1)

Beal got a vote.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/24/2010, 02:25 PM

I think he has the most in NCAA history...

SoonerShay
11/24/2010, 02:26 PM
Sam Bradford won the BIG12 as a freshman and got his team to the national title game as a sophmore, while of course winning another BIG12 title along the way.. Name another BIG12 quarterback that did anything even close to this? Hell name one in any BCS conference that has done this.

Vince Young and Suh both had 1 dominant year in the BIG12, while there are so many other players that were great for 2 to 3 years. Vince was at the end of the worst loss in RRR history and the first ut shutout in decades.
Suh was part of a defense that gave up 76 to KU and 62 to us the next year. He was on a defense that gave up 65 to Colorado for gawd sakes.

The picks from people that don't really follow the BIG12 and mostly live in the present are crap.

fadada1
11/24/2010, 02:48 PM
Colt, Sam, and Jason White all had seasons comparable to or better than him. I'm sure if anybody wanted to look they could come up with a ton more.

And Sam, Colt, and Jason can all spell their own name.

Dan Thompson
11/24/2010, 02:49 PM
He also beat USC.

GKeeper316
11/24/2010, 02:53 PM
sorry but in all honesty, i'd put barry sanders above both ricky williams and ad. he was only the best running back that has ever played the game. anyone that disagrees is too young to have seen him play.

slh1234
11/24/2010, 03:01 PM
sorry but in all honesty, i'd put barry sanders above both ricky williams and ad. he was only the best running back that has ever played the game. anyone that disagrees is too young to have seen him play.

I'd agree with you, but I think the issue is that the Big XII was too young to have seen him play. It was still Big 8 in those days. All of the names I see listed are after the formation of the Big XII.

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2010, 03:13 PM
Barry Sanders played in the Big 8, which is a different conference than the Big 12. When the conference was formed, there were no conference records imported from the Big 8, and several publications did All-time Big 8 teams. I remember that Mitch Richmond was named the greatest Big 8 basketball player of all time and having the same thought about Wilt Chamberlain.

GKeeper316
11/24/2010, 03:14 PM
I'd agree with you, but I think the issue is that the Big XII was too young to have seen him play. It was still Big 8 in those days. All of the names I see listed are after the formation of the Big XII.

ya true i guess im just so used to the big 12 now that it didnt even occur to me that barry played before the formation of the conference.

barry is still better than anyone that's come after him tho.

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 03:41 PM
The thing VY had that many others don't is huge performances in huge, close games. Rose Bowl vs. Michigan and Nat'l Champ game vs. USC. He also had some 2nd half heroics against Okie St a couple times, if I recall.

Jason had more big moments like that than Sam did. In 2007-2008, we either killed teams or lost. He had some nice moments against Missouri in 2007 and Okie St. in 2008, but it wasn't a "put the team on your back" situation like it seemed to be with VY.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 04:22 PM

and throughout the season that great D of theirs got torched a few times, only to have VY rescue them, including the natl title game

Okie35
11/24/2010, 04:26 PM

Yup thats pretty terrible.

Okie35
11/24/2010, 04:28 PM

It was basically him and David Thomas that SUC game.

SoonerShay
11/24/2010, 04:38 PM
The thing VY had that many others don't is huge performances in huge, close games. Rose Bowl vs. Michigan and Nat'l Champ game vs. USC. He also had some 2nd half heroics against Okie St a couple times, if I recall.

Jason had more big moments like that than Sam did. In 2007-2008, we either killed teams or lost. He had some nice moments against Missouri in 2007 and Okie St. in 2008, but it wasn't a "put the team on your back" situation like it seemed to be with VY.

Vince Young played for 3 years, Sam played for 2. Sam never got blew out 65 to 13 in the RRR as a freshman. Sam won the BIG12 his 2 years of playing. Sam actually won the heisman. How can you use killing teams as a way to disqualify them? The reason we killed teams was because of how good Bradford was playing. The osu game in 08 was definitely a put the team on your back one too. They were putting pressure on us all game and Sam was willing the team to score after score.

If you want to base it on a great year, Josh was just as good in 2000. With less talent around him and against a much tougher schedule.

AlboSooner
11/24/2010, 04:39 PM
VY won in the year when OU had their worst team

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 05:15 PM
Vince Young played for 3 years, Sam played for 2. Sam never got blew out 65 to 13 in the RRR as a freshman. Sam won the BIG12 his 2 years of playing. Sam actually won the heisman. How can you use killing teams as a way to disqualify them? The reason we killed teams was because of how good Bradford was playing. The osu game in 08 was definitely a put the team on your back one too. They were putting pressure on us all game and Sam was willing the team to score after score.

If you want to base it on a great year, Josh was just as good in 2000. With less talent around him and against a much tougher schedule.

Like I said, the 2008 Oklahoma St. game was the closest thing to it, but I just don't think they're comprable, at all, to VY's Rose Bowl or NCG performances. Sam played very well against Okla St., but if I recall, we never trailed after the 1st quarter or early 2nd, and we kind of dominated the 2nd half other than their kick return. Also, we ran the ball for very well, and the biggest play of the game was a tipped pass to Gresh for an 80 yard TD.

Sam was great and did stuff VY never did (Heisman, b2b Big XII titles), but VY also did things that Sam didn't do, like win a NCG and bring his team from behind late in games.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 05:16 PM
Sam played great in the natl title game against the fastest team evar...his WRs didnt help him out though

Dwight
11/24/2010, 05:19 PM
VY is fine (not really), but Suh as best def player makes absolutely no sense. Before last season, I hadn't even heard of him. He had one good season.

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 05:20 PM

Also, Josh was great in 2000 -- great leader, some great games, etc. But at the end of 2000, we were winning despite poor offensive play, not because of it (probably largely due to his elbow injury). IMO, VY's 2005 season had the stats of JW's and SB's years with the team success and clutch plays of JH's 2000 campaign. In 2004, he was good too, but not as good as 2005.

usaosooner
11/24/2010, 05:20 PM
I don't have a problem with that list at all.

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 05:25 PM
Sam played great in the natl title game against the fastest team evar...his WRs didnt help him out though

I'd say he played well, not great. The thow before half was a bad decision. The 1st throw of the game hung his WR out to dry, and got him lit up. The second pick wasn't his fault. He had a deep ball down the right sideline that should have been caught. I'd say he played about as well as his stat line indicated. Good but not great against a good defense. But when we were down and needed points late, we didn't move the ball, even when it's usually not hard (I think down 10 with 3-4 minutes left or so).

Collier11
11/24/2010, 05:39 PM
The 1st throw of the game was PI and a helmet to helmet hit...neither called

The pick right before HT bounced off his guys hands

MI Sooner
11/24/2010, 06:34 PM
The 1st throw of the game was PI and a helmet to helmet hit...neither called

The pick right before HT bounced off his guys hands

So he didn't hang hang Manny out to dry?

I'd have to watch the 1st INT again, but I recall a throw into traffic that, even if completed, may have resulted in the clock running out as the receiver was right on the edge of the goal line. Even if he completes that pass, I don't like the decision.

Okie35
11/24/2010, 06:44 PM
So he didn't hang hang Manny out to dry?

I'd have to watch the 1st INT again, but I recall a throw into traffic that, even if completed, may have resulted in the clock running out as the receiver was right on the edge of the goal line. Even if he completes that pass, I don't like the decision.

Not really. It wasn't like this

KLD33s7V7EU

I'm sure Sam didn't see the safety over the top and his closing speed was pretty fast. If you're talking about the goal line int then yea that was a bad decision but it could've been caught. Both of Sam's ints MJs and JIs hands first. Both were catchable.

Collier11
11/24/2010, 06:47 PM
The 1st INT wasnt a good play call cus it did possibly leave us short but it hit the WR right in the hands

The 1st pass is right here

0fJxN3DWQCI&feature=related

The defender launched himself, had a PI, and a helmet to helmet hit...3 illegal plays in 1

What pisses me off is I just watched the highlights again and if we dont miss a block in the 2nd qt Brown walks into the EZ, that with a FG instead of that late throw makes it OU 17-7 OU at HT

SoonerShay
11/24/2010, 06:55 PM
I'd say he played well, not great. The thow before half was a bad decision. The 1st throw of the game hung his WR out to dry, and got him lit up. The second pick wasn't his fault. He had a deep ball down the right sideline that should have been caught. I'd say he played about as well as his stat line indicated. Good but not great against a good defense. But when we were down and needed points late, we didn't move the ball, even when it's usually not hard (I think down 10 with 3-4 minutes left or so).

I'm sure if he got to play a garbage defense in the national title game, he could of had a super showing against them too. Except he didn't get the benefit of playing weak defense (USC's D was ranked 48th) in the national title game. Sam had to face an actual top 10 defense. Josh had to face a top 10 defense, Jason had to face a top 5 defense and then USC was ranked 6th in 2004 when Jason faced them.

If you want to start talking about what each player did or didn't do, you're going to have to start saying who they did and didn't play.

Sam would of ripped that USC defense for 50, no different than he did comparable teams all year. USC had freaking true freshman playing in that game on defense because of injury.

Eielson
11/24/2010, 07:31 PM

Quarterbacks don't win games. Colt played awful in every big game his senior year. He's not legendary by any means.

Eielson
11/24/2010, 07:34 PM
VY is fine (not really), but Suh as best def player makes absolutely no sense. Before last season, I hadn't even heard of him. He had one good season.

Vince is the one year wonder. Suh was a stud both his junior and senior seasons.

85sooners
11/24/2010, 09:16 PM
:pop:

Collier11
11/24/2010, 09:40 PM
Vince is the one year wonder. Suh was a stud both his junior and senior seasons.

Vince won 2 Rose Bowls, 2 Rose Bowl MVPs, rushed for over 1000 yards each of his last two years, I dont know that you can call him a one year wonder

Thanks alot Eielson, now I have to go wash my mouth out with soap for defending VY

goingoneight
11/24/2010, 09:44 PM

Barry Sanders only had one great season, too. When a player develops and becomes a game-changer like Suh has at both levels, it's kinda hard to vote against him. Ryan Broyles has been a star since his first game at OU, and the numbers show it. All-time best WR at OU with still many games left to play in his career should he stay.

Gresham on the list anywhere? Too lazy to pull it up.

Salt City Sooner
11/24/2010, 11:54 PM
3rd behind Coffman & Graham.

jcvsooner
11/25/2010, 01:20 AM

Agreed. I can understand VY--I don't agree with it, but I can see the argument. But to me defensive player is Roy Williams, and it's not close.

texaspokieokie
11/25/2010, 08:38 AM
The 1st INT wasnt a good play call cus it did possibly leave us short but it hit the WR right in the hands

The 1st pass is right here

0fJxN3DWQCI&feature=related

The defender launched himself, had a PI, and a helmet to helmet hit...3 illegal plays in 1

What pisses me off is I just watched the highlights again and if we dont miss a block in the 2nd qt Brown walks into the EZ, that with a FG instead of that late throw makes it OU 17-7 OU at HT

i remember that play well !! those stupid announces\rs never mentioned the possibility if PI. to them, it was a GREAT play. i think it kinda set the tone for the whole game.

it had to be PI cause the ball hit the DB in the back. they really got away with one.

only thing i fondly remember is timmie getting penalized for doing a "gator chomp". what a jerk he is !!!!

VA Sooner
11/25/2010, 08:39 AM
Love this selection by ESPN... although I think Sam is the better choice than QB... especially with a better mental game.

texaspokieokie
11/25/2010, 08:40 AM
the tv guys chuckled, they thot it was funny.

thanx for posting that vid !!

OSUAggie
11/25/2010, 10:16 AM
Barry Sanders only had one great season, too.

He was an All-American in 1987.

texaspokieokie
11/25/2010, 12:06 PM
yep, but Barry Sanders had one of the best seasons ever, for a running back.

Collier11
11/25/2010, 12:28 PM
THE best season ever

Harry Beanbag
11/25/2010, 01:12 PM
He was an All-American in 1987.

As a kick returner, right?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2010, 01:32 PM
yep. he also split the carries for the first 2 games of that "best year ever".

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2010, 01:52 PM

Your jabs at VY are completely unwarranted. Sure, he had trouble spelling his own name at one time, but that was over four years ago.

cccasooner2
11/25/2010, 02:18 PM
Your jabs at VY are completely unwarranted. Sure, he had trouble spelling his own name at one time, but that was over four years ago.

ROFL

texaspokieokie
11/25/2010, 03:53 PM

but he averaged 238 ypg.

Eielson
11/25/2010, 08:01 PM
Vince won 2 Rose Bowls, 2 Rose Bowl MVPs, rushed for over 1000 yards each of his last two years, I dont know that you can call him a one year wonder

Thanks alot Eielson, now I have to go wash my mouth out with soap for defending VY

He threw 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He threw more interceptions than touchdowns the previous year.

Collier11
11/25/2010, 10:01 PM
and won a **** ton of games

flyou11
11/25/2010, 10:41 PM
Sam should have been top offensive player.

texaspokieokie
12/25/2010, 10:15 AM

so what, still the "best year ever" for a rb.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2010, 10:43 AM
Bet if you asked the voters, they'd list the fact that Colt was a 4 year starter (while Sam only had 2) as their main reason. I certainly can't think of anything else.The cows beat us 3 out of the 4 yrs he played. Of course they employed their 12th, 13th and 14th man during those games, and that part is easy to overlook and ignore.

12/25/2010, 10:45 AM
Single handedly? That's a myth. The NFL is loaded with horns from that team.I don't believe a Colt-lead whorns could have beaten the usuc in that NC game. But Radio did.

12/25/2010, 10:47 AM
Sam Bradford won the BIG12 as a freshman and got his team to the national title game as a sophmore, while of course winning another BIG12 title along the way.. Name another BIG12 quarterback that did anything even close to this? Hell name one in any BCS conference that has done this.

Vince Young and Suh both had 1 dominant year in the BIG12, while there are so many other players that were great for 2 to 3 years. Vince was at the end of the worst loss in RRR history and the first ut shutout in decades.
Suh was part of a defense that gave up 76 to KU and 62 to us the next year. He was on a defense that gave up 65 to Colorado for gawd sakes.

The picks from people that don't really follow the BIG12 and mostly live in the present are crap.XCLNT!

jdd12
12/25/2010, 11:51 AM
:mad: I knew I should not have watched that fu mnc game highlight. I rage everytime i see it. What a bs non-call...defender hits player, ball hits defender in the back...

texaspokieokie
12/25/2010, 12:22 PM
yep, & the announcers raved on & on about what a good play it was.

LiveLaughLove
12/25/2010, 02:07 PM

without throwing tantrums or quitting.

King Barry's Back
12/25/2010, 03:14 PM
What does it mean to be the "better quarterback"?

The voters had to sit down and decide who to vote for. I guess more of them picked the chronic head-case radio over Sam Bradford.

Fine.

But if they were actually choosing QBs for their own team, how many of them would pick Young?

If you could choose between Sam Bradford and the VY that beat USC, I can understand you taking that VY. But if you have to choose between SB and the actual VY - who might or might not show up when you need him, and might or not be studying the playbook - you are going to take SB, hands down.

pappy
12/25/2010, 04:36 PM
Vince Young deserves it...1 big 12 title and 1 national title > 2 big 12 titles. He had a huge year and deserves it. Its not about who is gonna be a better pro qb or who is a better person off the field. His accomplishments with his team were better than Bradford's accomplishments with OU. Vince Young also won 2 bcs bowl games and sam lost both of the bowl games he played in. If I was making an NFL team I'd take Bradford over Young but for a list strictly based on college stats and accomplishments I'd vote for Young as 1st team qb also.

cyclonesooner
12/25/2010, 11:28 PM
What truly rescued Texas is the national championship game as much as VY was dumbazz Petey C. not punting the ball on 4th and 3 instead of running the fb base play into the middle of the line.

stoopified
12/26/2010, 12:58 AM
yea but they didnt single handedly win a natl title for their teamsWhat the dozen guys on that team that are playing in the NFL were suspended for the NC game? I must've missed that part.All-Time All Big 12 should be about career not single season wonders.

pappy
12/26/2010, 04:47 AM
What truly rescued Texas is the national championship game as much as VY was dumbazz Petey C. not punting the ball on 4th and 3 instead of running the fb base play into the middle of the line.

Texas still won the national title...we don't make the excuse or give this as an explanation...what really helped OU win several big 12 titles over the past few years was texas choking against teams they should've destroyed down the stretch of the season, allowing OU to back into the big 12 title game...so why texas/vince young won the national title doesn't really matter all that matters is that they won...just like all that matters is OU won those big 12 titles the years texas choked down the stretch.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2010, 06:07 AM
Texas still won the national title...we don't make the excuse or give this as an explanation...what really helped OU win several big 12 titles over the past few years was texas choking against teams they should've destroyed down the stretch of the season, allowing OU to back into the big 12 title game...so why texas/vince young won the national title doesn't really matter all that matters is that they won...just like all that matters is OU won those big 12 titles the years texas choked down the stretch.

Texas fans sure talk funny.

pappy
12/26/2010, 06:22 AM
Texas fans sure talk funny.

IKR...they're silly.

12/26/2010, 12:24 PM
Texas fans sure talk funny.So Pappy, that is your team, isn't it? You loves dem whorn-cows?

btb916
12/26/2010, 12:38 PM
Any ALL time Big 12 team that isn't composed entirely of Sooner stars is just wrong, plain and simple.

picasso
12/26/2010, 01:42 PM
Vince Young deserves it...1 big 12 title and 1 national title > 2 big 12 titles. He had a huge year and deserves it. Its not about who is gonna be a better pro qb or who is a better person off the field. His accomplishments with his team were better than Bradford's accomplishments with OU. Vince Young also won 2 bcs bowl games and sam lost both of the bowl games he played in. If I was making an NFL team I'd take Bradford over Young but for a list strictly based on college stats and accomplishments I'd vote for Young as 1st team qb also.

Using that logic we could argue that Heupel deserves it.

oumartin
12/26/2010, 01:47 PM
The cows beat us 3 out of the 4 yrs he played. Of course they employed their 12th, 13th and 14th man during those games, and that part is easy to overlook and ignore.

Wrong, he beat OU once.

in fact he was in for one of those epic beatdowns.
the year he won, the won the NC. Colt beat us the following year when he was a frosh.

12/26/2010, 01:53 PM
Wrong, he beat OU once.

in fact he was in for one of those epic beatdowns.
the year he won, the won the NC. Colt beat us the following year when he was a frosh.you shouldn't just glance-read. I was talking about Colt-not Radio.

oumartin
12/26/2010, 01:57 PM
you shouldn't just glance-read. I was talking about Colt-not Radio.

you should expect me to once read! dumb it down

AlboSooner
12/26/2010, 03:31 PM
I'm so sick of that illiterate ***** Vince Young. One year wonder. OU has had two QB's this decade better than him.

Suh was a one year wonder as well.

The media didn't want to make it an OU fest, so they gave it to these two undeserving guys: VY and SUh

pappy
12/26/2010, 05:33 PM
So Pappy, that is your team, isn't it? You loves dem whorn-cows?

Only their cheerleaders ;)

SoonerShark
12/26/2010, 11:17 PM

Counting Vince Young's freshman redshirt year, UT was 1-3 with Mr. Young on Campus against the Sooners who won the Big XII South each year he was on Campus except 2005.

pappy
12/26/2010, 11:23 PM
Using that logic we could argue that Heupel deserves it.

Now there's an argument I can get on board with. I agree...give it to Heupel.

SoonerShark
12/26/2010, 11:24 PM
Didn't the Big XII all decade team for the first decade of the conference have Jason White as its quarterback? He was the Heisman winner in 2003 and won third 2004's race. Further, Jason White was offensive player of the year in the conference in both those years. That would be through the 2005 season. Vince Young is living off of revisionist history.

JLEW1818
12/26/2010, 11:31 PM
radio lol, classic

John Kochtoston
12/27/2010, 12:23 AM

By "several" you mean "two." Or, exactly one more than Texas backed into because of an OU loss down the stretch.

pappy
12/27/2010, 04:38 AM
By "several" you mean "two." Or, exactly one more than Texas backed into because of an OU loss down the stretch.

I'm sorry I meant a couple. I'm also having a hard time remembering this ou loss you speak of. I'm sure you're right, but I'm drawing a blank for once...or twice? I don't know.

nvm it was 2001...I remember now. I didn't remember it because Texas went on to lose to colorado.