PDA

View Full Version : Article on Metoyer @ SI.com

SoonerCLF
11/24/2010, 11:28 AM
Nice SI.com article on Sooners commit at WR - Trey Metoyer

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/specials/highschool-potw/11/23/hspow.7/index.html)

Talent, attitude have made Trey Metoyer a star

By Ben Glicksman, SI.com

In an era when the wide receiver position has become synonymous with the temperamental athletes who play it, Whitehouse High's Trey Metoyer has taken a different approach -- unselfishness.

"Every team wants to double [team] me, but what they don't realize is you got somebody else and that just opens it up more for them," he says. "If they can go to work, then I can get the ball and just do what I do."

That attitude has worked well, as Metoyer has received plenty of touches in 2010. He burned defenses for 1,540 yards and 23 touchdowns, and was equally impressive in the postseason. He totaled 236 yards and two scores though his Wildcats fell to Mesquite Poteet in the second round of the Texas 4A playoffs.

He attributes his success to his crisp route-running. His clean breaks create separation and his speed allows him to blow past safeties and cornerbacks. His 38-inch vertical leap also gives him an advantage in nearly every jump ball situation.

"I can find a way to get open," he says. "That's all that counts."

His frame is nothing to scoff at either. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, he has the body of an NFL receiver, with scouts comparing him to a young Dez Bryant. That praise has only fueled him to perform better.

"Everybody has me hyped up to be a top ranked receiver, so why not play like one?" he asks.

Metoyer's blend of talent and drive has prompted many colleges to make a push for him, though he committed to Oklahoma in March. He cites early playing time, their incoming class and their unwavering support -- Sooners coaches attended his high school basketball games regularly last year -- as the primary factors behind his decision.

If March sounds early for him to commit, that's because it was. He was overwhelmed by the recruiting process, bombarded with more than 100 letters from schools each week. He dodged phone calls from university representatives on a daily basis. It was affecting his schoolwork. It was affecting his play.

"I had to hurry up and make a decision," he says of the chaos.

Since his announcement, things have settled down. He's focused on playing again, completing a variety of drills to up his bench press and 40 time (currently a 4.42). He's forgoing basketball this season to focus solely on football, planning to be in top-shape when he arrives to Norman next fall.

That should pay dividends in 2011, as he'll join an explosive offense that's currently averaging 36.6 points per game. With the departure of senior tailback DeMarco Murray, the Sooners should have a pass-friendly attack led by quarterback Landry Jones and wideout Ryan Broyles. Metoyer can't wait to contribute.

"I wanna be in that atmosphere," he says. "I wanna let everybody know what I can do."

DentonSoonerFan
11/24/2010, 11:45 AM
good read. Thanks.

boomersooner28
11/24/2010, 02:31 PM
good read. Thanks.

Ditto

ouleaf
11/24/2010, 03:11 PM
Can't wait to see him on the team next year. Looks like he has really good hands, and great ability to up and grab the jump balls.

Collier11
11/25/2010, 12:27 AM
Everyone compares him to Dez Bryant which is very impressive if you take out the bias...well, as long as he is Dez without the crazy fam and the idiot actions

OUster
11/25/2010, 12:45 AM
Sounds like he has a great attitude...that's awesome! This year is exciting, but thinking of next year is giving me a chub!

oudavid1
11/25/2010, 02:16 AM
At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bingo.

Me likey.

caseysooner
11/25/2010, 11:40 PM
excited

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2010, 03:51 PM
Everyone compares him to Dez Bryant which is very impressive if you take out the bias...well, as long as he is Dez without the crazy fam and the idiot actions

We need to keep him out of Deon Sanders fave five :O

MojoRisen
12/1/2010, 08:31 AM
I hope this isn't total e-comerce - could be warming up the bus in Dallas! Doubtful though.

dwarthog
12/1/2010, 09:11 AM
Great read, thanks for posting that one.

Looks like a good kid with his head on straight.

Too bad he isn't enrolling early so he can get a jump start like Stills did.