PDA

View Full Version : From the "Next Year's Opponents" file.......

Salt City Sooner
11/23/2010, 08:05 PM
Not the biggest of surprises, but Ball State fired Stan Parrish (yes, that one) today:

MUNCIE — Ball State fired football coach Stan Parrish today as negotiations to reach a settlement on the final two years of his contract broke down.

A source, who asked not to be identified, told The Star Press the news on the school’s decision was delivered to Parrish shortly after noon today. The source wasn’t authorized to reveal details of the decision.
Just after 3 p.m., players received messages from position coaches informing them of the news, according to Davyd Jones, a senior outside linebacker who just completed his eligibility.

Late today, the school issued a statement: “As we evaluated the on-field performance and the football program in its entirety, we decided it was time for a change in direction in the leadership of the program,” athletic director Tom Collins says. “We have been impressed with the way our student-athletes have carried themselves this season. We have quality student-athletes, and they have continued to battle through a challenging season. We wish Coach Parrish the best as he pursues other opportunities.”
Eddie Faulkner, BSU’s offensive coordinator the last two seasons, will serve as interim head coach until a permanent head coach is identified.

Parrish had $700,000 remaining on his contract to coach the Cardinals in 2011 and 2012. Negotiations between the university and the second-year coach to reach a settlement on buying out the contract for a reduced amount began Sunday.

When the sides couldn’t agree on the terms, the university fired Parrish, the source said.

Parrish took over the football program in December 2008 after Brady Hoke left to coach San Diego State. Parrish coached the nationally ranked Cardinals in a 45-13 loss to Tulsa in the GMAC Bowl in January 2009.

He followed by leading Ball State to a 2-10 record in 2009 and 4-8 this year. The Cardinals had a 5-11 record in Mid-American Conference games under Parrish.

He lost his final game 59-21 at home Saturday against Northern Illinois. The rout represented the highest point total ever allowed by the Cardinals in a Mid-American Conference game.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101123/SPORTS06/101123021/Ball-State-fires-football-coach-Stan-Parrish?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.c om%7Cs

agoo758
11/23/2010, 09:30 PM
Well, at least he won more games at Ball State then he did at Kansas State.

usaosooner
11/23/2010, 10:09 PM
Tulsa,FSU and Ball State. Our non conference schedule next year for the kiddies following along at home

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 02:06 AM
Wasn't he fired at the halftime of a game?

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 02:47 AM
My favorite quote of Stan Parrish' following his second season when his team finished 0-10-1 (paraphrasing):

"That won't happen again. I guarantee you that. That was not Stan Parrish."

The following year they went 0-11.

cleller
11/24/2010, 07:42 AM
To increase knowledge without expending needless energy; more than you ever need to know about Stan Parrish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Parrish

Leroy Lizard
11/24/2010, 12:35 PM
To increase knowledge without expending needless energy; more than you ever need to know about Stan Parrish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Parrish

It doesn't tell me why Ball State hired him in the first place.

Salt City Sooner
11/24/2010, 01:25 PM
He was Ball st.'s attempt at continuity. Their HC (Hoke) left to go to SDSU after BSU's 12-2 season, so they did the promote from within thing (Parrish was the OC on that team). I guess disregarding his prior track record, even if it was at KSU, didn't work out quite as well as they hoped.

stoopified
11/24/2010, 04:59 PM
My favorite quote of Stan Parrish' following his second season when his team finished 0-10-1 (paraphrasing):

"That won't happen again. I guarantee you that. That was not Stan Parrish."

The following year they went 0-11.Well,he WAS right.

agoo758
11/24/2010, 05:05 PM
To leroy:
Cause he had a good tenure at Wabash? :P