PDA

View Full Version : A house divided

deweydw
11/22/2010, 08:37 PM
This a story on okblitz.com about my niece and her husband. Anyone else with a house divided?

http://www.okblitz.com/article.aspx?id=30535

When it comes to OU-OSU rivalries, especially with relationships, all is fair in love and football.

For two Oklahoma natives, Rachel and Lance Klement, the OU-OSU battle is at the heart of their relationship.

In 2008, Lance and Rachel met while they were neighbors in Norman. Lance graduated from OSU in May 2007 and Rachel graduated from OU in May 2008.

Lance, although he doesn’t admit it to many, is now attending graduate school at the University of Oklahoma.

Last November when OSU traveled to Norman to take on the Sooners in the annual matchup, Lance decided make the rivalry last a lifetime.

During the game, one of the couple’s friends went with Rachel to the restroom, and when she returned to the stands, the surprise of a lifetime was awaiting her.

As Rachel returned to her seat, the rest of the couple’s friends had formed a walkway and as she got a glance of what stood at the end she had a big question waiting for her.

Lance was standing at the end of the walkway with a banner reading “Will a Sooner marry a Cowboy?”

Rachel says it was “so cute and sneaky and of course I said yes.”

When it came to their engagement photos and wedding plans, there was no question that the couple’s beloved schools would be a part of the festivities.

“We just had to include our OSU and OU shirts in our engagement photos,” says Rachel.

The happy couple was wed in Norman and held the wedding reception at the Jimmie Austin Golf Course.

Although the location was in crimson territory, the wedding colors were fit for the Cowboys.

“Our colors were orange and white, which my husband loved,” says Rachel. “He was a good sport to hold it at the OU campus though!”

Even though they tied the knot, that doesn’t necessarily make OU-OSU battles any easier.

“Our rivalry is really hard during football season,” says Rachel. “I get so mad when he won't cheer for us (OU), I tell everyone that it is worse than being different religions!”

The OU-OSU blood runs deep in both Lance and Rachel’s families. They both have family members from around Oklahoma that each member pledges their allegiance to a different team.

In the Klement household, the OU-OSU rivalry isn’t just between Rachel and Lance, it has extended to man’s best friend as well.

Their sheltie, Shiloh, wears a ‘pup divided’ shirt that boasts both a red and an orange bow. The Klement’s say, “We can't decide agree who she likes better so we have to share her.”

Rachel and Lance say they are taking the same route when it comes to their kids on day as well. “They will always have to wear a little of both,” said Lance and Rachel. “We will have to let them choose their own college but we both have our own opinions of what would be best!”

Although college football season can be heated in the divided household, they do agree on one Cowboys team.

“We do agree on Dallas Cowboy football,” the couple said. “So our Sundays and the occasional Monday nights are pretty tame, and we can also cheer for the Ranger's during baseball season.”

All in all, this house divided will be engaged in a rivalry for many happy years to come, but in the end as Lance says, “once fall arrives all bets are off, and all is fair in love and football.”

RocketDad
11/22/2010, 08:42 PM
Been an OU fan all my life as has my father before me. My son is a Sooner fan but will go to OSU. His major field is Biosystems Engineering, so next years game will be interesting.

usaosooner
11/22/2010, 08:47 PM
A house divided cannot stand!

sooner518
11/22/2010, 08:52 PM
my wife went to OU, but she doesnt care about football, so sometimes she cheers against OU if we're winning to try and annoy me. she grew up in Texas so her family has bred her to hate anything non-Texas related.

rekamrettuB
11/22/2010, 08:53 PM
I know Lance. Dated his sister. He's a cool guy...very nice.

deweydw
11/22/2010, 09:02 PM
Yep, my niece got a good one.

OUEngr1990
11/22/2010, 09:02 PM
My sister and her husband are OSU Alum. She doesn't care about football, but he does. He sounds like all the other Poke fans, obsessing and whining about OU fans. I really don't get it.

unbiasedtruth
11/22/2010, 09:33 PM
ex wife is a poke grad... she never did like OU..... kinda a case of HAVES (OU) and have nots (osu) to her....

now I am married to a CU grad..... glad CU quit the Big XII and went to the Pac 10.....

goingoneight
11/22/2010, 09:35 PM
Well, my Grandma was Catholic and my Grandpa was an atheist.

... married 64 years, RIP.

And the girl in my avatar is an OSU student. Good thing she doesn't give two shats about football. :D

A Sooner in Texas
11/22/2010, 09:36 PM
My brother's an OSU grad (with an MBA in finance, so no smart-*** remarks) and his wife is a former OU cheerleader. Their daughter graduated from OU last year with a degree in international banking (AND she's quite beautiful, too) and their oldest son is going to OSU. Not sure where the other two sons will land yet, but wouldn't surprise me if one went to OU and the other to OSU.

soonersweetie
11/22/2010, 09:40 PM
My fiance is an avid OSU fan. And I'm a lifelong OU fan, went to OU, went to my first game when I was 3yrs old, etc. We have decided we will not be watching the game together Saturday. He is going over to a friend's house and I'll be watching with my dad.

sooners2win
11/22/2010, 09:45 PM
Nope, full house here

stoopified
11/22/2010, 10:04 PM
My first wife was an ag,I killed her...I mean divorced her.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2010, 10:11 PM
My little sister is an OSU grad/fan and she made it worse by marrying an LSU grad. She is still an OSU fan, but smart enough to shed the cajun baggage :D

bluedogok
11/22/2010, 10:18 PM
Ours is "divided" a different way, she went to Tech but she graduated from there in 1987 and her expectations are lower for them because of how they were at her time there in Lubbock. Neither of us take it that serious when the teams play each other.

Sooner95
11/22/2010, 10:23 PM
makes no difference, they both root for Dallas, so IMO, they both suck..LOL

SOONER44EVER
11/22/2010, 11:21 PM
Our house Sooner crimson and Thunder blue!

btk108
11/22/2010, 11:22 PM
No...we kicked the daughter to the curb....she got married. She and the hubby avoid our house when we play the pukes. Her hubby can't understand why we get so riled.

BajaOklahoma
11/22/2010, 11:48 PM
My b-i-l is an OSU football coach.

oudavid1
11/22/2010, 11:54 PM
My grandfather played at OU, my father went to OU, My mother went to OU, my brother goes to OU.....and my friends said i have to come to OU.

Sooners All the Way.

SOONER44EVER
11/23/2010, 12:00 AM
My fiance is an avid OSU fan. And I'm a lifelong OU fan, went to OU, went to my first game when I was 3yrs old, etc. We have decided we will not be watching the game together Saturday. He is going over to a friend's house and I'll be watching with my dad.

Let them suffer in private. :)

silverwheels
11/23/2010, 12:02 AM
I have only ever dated OU fans, although not consciously. It just happened. Not sure I could date an OSU fan, since I'm not a sheep.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/23/2010, 12:32 AM
Dear n00bs, whomever you may be...

Phil, HMFIC of this very site, is married to a lovely Oklahoma State Cowgirl.

Just thought it worth noting before someone goes and gets themselves in trouble....

slh1234
11/23/2010, 12:38 AM
I gotta confess, my wife went to college here: http://english.pusan.ac.kr/html/00_main/

Every year when OU heads to Korea for that game, it's just intolerable around out place :).

MamaMia
11/23/2010, 08:23 AM
My husband and our kids are all Sooners. I have a huge Italian family and we are all very close, Our niece is an architectural engineer who went to oSu for 6 years. I love her just the same. Her new oSu husband hated OU fans until he married her. We taught him how to be a good sport. Our other niece was a cheerleader for the Huskers. She married a horn, Her father, my sisters husband, played golf for Nebraska. Thats where they met, My Dad was a horn, as are many of my family members on his side. My Mom was a South Carolina fan. Her sister and all my family members on her side went to Alabama. They are a lot nicer than any fans of any team I know. Its always impressed me how polite Alabama fans are to each other, including on their message boards, even if they disagree. I have cousins who are Texas Tech fans and others who are Texas A&M fans as well. Theres a lot of razing going on but its all in good fun. Except for one horn cousin raised by my grandparents who didn't care about football and were baseball fanatics, we were all raised to be good sports.

SoonerJack
11/23/2010, 08:26 AM
I married in to a huge Poke family and actually went there for grad school myself (OU didn't have my program). Both of my in-laws went to OSU, as did pretty much everyone on that side of the family. My wife's grandad even played basketball back when Iba was the coach.

BUT. I've been a Sooner fan since longer than I can remember. I'm actually surprised that her dad agreed to let me marry her...but I sure am glad he did.

The Maestro
11/23/2010, 08:28 AM
My wife does laundry while I watch football. She likes Tide over Wisk.

;)

XingTheRubicon
11/23/2010, 08:56 AM
Banged a few, wouldn't procreate with one, however.

fwsooner22
11/23/2010, 09:22 AM
Minor Leagues........Try to being married to a Longhorn and live in Texas.

virginiasooner
11/23/2010, 09:41 AM
My younger sister went to OSU and she and her husband have box seats in T-Bone Stadium. According to my mother they are bouncing off the wall with excitement over Saturday's game. Last year, my BIL was quite resentful when the Sooners shut out the Pokes. I won't say what he did, but I still tell the story and it gets a laugh from anyone who went to a school with a major end-of-year rivalry. I've got cousins that went to OU, and another bunch of cousins who went to OSU, so Thanksgiving is always fun.

But I've learned something disturbing -- my mother (1954) has turned to the dark side -- she's rooting for the Pokes! I am aghast, shocked, and appalled. I hope she'll snap out of it by Sunday.

rekamrettuB
11/23/2010, 09:42 AM

;)

Roll TIDE!!!

SoonerMarkVA
11/23/2010, 09:42 AM
No aggroids anywhere in my family. Pure crimson (or in the case of my wife, from NY, doesn't give a crap).

Slightly funny story, though. My wife visited OK for the first time in 2000 over Thanksgiving, and she was a good sport to go to the game in Stillwater with my family. After we'd settled into the game, her comment was: "They wear orange and black, call themselves the Cowboys, and they shout 'First down and TEN!' in unison with the announcer--and they expect people to take them seriously?" Even to a completely indifferent outsider, OSU is a joke :)

CobraKai
11/23/2010, 10:18 AM
The guy that mows my lawn is an OSU grad. I think he has a PhD in something. He seems like a nice enough fella.

GoState
11/23/2010, 10:22 AM
My wife is an OU grad, while I got my BS and MS from OSU. We've both received house divided stuff from family/friends. However, neither of us will use them, because that would mean we'd have the other school's logo on our cars. On a related note, her parents (dad is on faculty at OU) think it's cute to give me OU stuff. My parents (dad retired from faculty at OSU) think it's cute to give her OSU stuff. "Why thanks for the OU shirt...it just so happens I needed something new to wear while changing my oil." "This OSU toothbrush is great for scrubbing dog crap off of my shoe". Good times, fun times.

At least she's a benevolent dictator and hands me beer to soothe my battered psyche after yet another loss to OU.

CobraKai
11/23/2010, 10:26 AM
My wife is an OU grad, while I got my BS and MS from OSU. We've both received house divided stuff from family/friends. However, neither of us will use them, because that would mean we'd have the other school's logo on our cars. On a related note, her parents (dad is on faculty at OU) think it's cute to give me OU stuff. My parents (dad retired from faculty at OSU) think it's cute to give her OSU stuff. "Why thanks for the OU shirt...it just so happens I needed something new to wear while changing my oil." "This OSU toothbrush is great for scrubbing dog crap off of my shoe". Good times, fun times.

At least she's a benevolent dictator and hands me beer to soothe my battered psyche after yet another loss to OU.

My mother in law was a KU cheerleader. She loves to do this kind of stuff too. KU gifts at Christmas. Calendars, hats, etc.

SoonerPr8r
11/23/2010, 10:34 AM
My wife and her family are all UGA fans so I get to hear about the SEC all the dang time. However, I did convert my wife to a better shade of red. Her parents are not happy when she comes over wearing all OU stuff.

BTW Georgia's fight song is the same tune as texas. You know working on the railroad? I haven't yet stopped teasing them about that one.

Oldnslo
11/23/2010, 11:06 AM
I married an aggie. All of my in-laws are aggies.

My b-i-l calls me every time they beat us. In other words, we don't talk too often.

rysooner
11/23/2010, 11:12 AM
Married into it just over a year ago. Step-daughter has two degrees from OSU and played softball for them. Her husband is also an OSU grad and they live in Stillwater. Both teach at the junior high and both coach -- she coaches softball and he coaches track -- at the high school. Wife is an OU fan until we hook it up with the Pokes. I'll be the only Sooner fan in the room, if I stay home. May end up watching in Norman with some OU buddies.

bent rider
11/23/2010, 12:43 PM

;)

My wife shops while I watch football. She likes Dillards over JCPenney.

soonerchk
11/23/2010, 12:53 PM
Not since I left the whorn.

soonerhubs
11/23/2010, 01:47 PM
As I type this I'm on Campus at OSU preparing for the class I teach and conducting research. OU didn't have my field so I came here. I love both teams, and I follow both of them with a passion. In fact I know the Sooner players names by Heart.

Long story short, I'll be sad for whomever loses and happy for whomever wins Saturday. I suppose I'm an oddity in that I believe I can cheer for both teams.

A House divided, meh... I have a torn soul. Take it or leave it, I'll be cheering for both teams, and yes I know the Bible verse very well. http://bible.cc/matthew/6-24.htm

PalmBeachSooner
11/23/2010, 01:50 PM
Married to a horn grad. To make things worse shis is a Yankee fan and I love the Red Sox.

badger
11/23/2010, 02:01 PM
My family from Wisconsin visited last weekend and had to beg the restaurant to change one television in the entire place away from the Poke game to the Badger/Michigan game... they finally relented and got their big tip :)

Grandma spent most of the trip remarking on how I should be wearing a Wisconsin shirt (I was wearing an OU shirt, as was NP, as we're both OU grads and all). Grandma herself was not wearing a Wisconsin shirt, saying that her Rose Bowl shirt (they last went to one in 2000) was getting old.

:D My Rose Bowl shirt is newer than theirs - 2003!

bluedogok
11/23/2010, 11:34 PM
Married to a horn grad. To make things worse shis is a Yankee fan and I love the Red Sox.
Bad mix all the way around......

King Crimson
11/23/2010, 11:38 PM
i've got a lot of poke extended family....an aunt, uncle on my mom's side. they are good peeps, i like em. but, i do wonder what they talk about when the Sooner folks aren't around. i do have a cousin (her dad played for OU) who married a poke and he kind of plays both ways which i don't understand....but, i bet this week at T-Giving he's all poke.

OUthunder
11/24/2010, 01:47 AM
My wife got her undergrad at oSu and her PhD at OU...she doesn't even admit to attending Aggie State anymore.

It took some time, but she saw the light.

proudsoonergal
11/24/2010, 02:13 AM
Minor Leagues........Try to being married to a Longhorn and live in Texas.

^^^ THiS...and specifically, living in Austin. 2005 was insufferable. Last year was bad until the MNC. This year it has been lots of fun. :D

bluedogok
11/24/2010, 09:51 PM
^^^ THiS...and specifically, living in Austin. 2005 was insufferable. Last year was bad until the MNC. This year it has been lots of fun. :D
Living in Austin with a Tech alum isn't too bad, there is always the common disdain for things burnt orange......

She almost wet to OSU for grad school but the in state tuition at SWT won out.

Cornfed
11/25/2010, 03:37 PM
My first question when I got serious with my wife was the OU-OSU question, she answered it correctly.

SoonerReverend
11/25/2010, 04:08 PM
My wife went to Oregon. She wears lots of red during football season for me but it wasn't always so civil.

bluedogok
11/25/2010, 04:40 PM
Most of my wife's wardrobe consists of Tech or Dallas Cowboys gear, I would never ask her to wear anything OU related. As far as I am concerned just be true to your school/team. I would be the same if they were a Whorn or a Poke.